Family's holiday plans turn into a nightmare due to 'lost booking'

Travelling should be an exciting and joyful experience, especially when it involves well-deserved family time.

However, a family's anticipated trip became a distressing ordeal due to a series of unfortunate events with Qantas Airways.

Christopher Gordon Reynolds planned a family trip to Japan in 2020, valued at $3,000.

Unfortunately, like many travellers, their plans halted due to COVID-19 and its travel restrictions.

To keep the holiday spirits up, Reynolds used a portion of their Qantas voucher to book a trip to Western Australia, only to face cancellation again due to COVID-19-related border closures.

Fast forward to January of this year, the family of four was ready to embark on a Gold Coast trip with the promise of sun, surf, and relaxation.

However, they were disappointed at the airport as Qantas staff could not find their booking despite the family having an itinerary.

'Our kids were having a bit of an anxiety meltdown,' Reynolds said.

compressed-pexels-pixabay-39691.jpeg
A family holiday should be a stress-free experience, especially if it is pre-planned. Image Credit: Pexels/Pixabay

Qantas staff told the Reynolds to call the airline's customer service line for assistance but were informed that the airline's refund system was down.

'The flight we were supposed to be on has departed, so we spent a lot of time (on the phone) and got no result,' Reynolds added.

With hotel bookings and activities already arranged, Reynolds purchased the next flight to the Gold Coast, incurring additional costs.

A few weeks after the ordeal, Qantas refunded $1000 of the original amount and offered four $100 Qantas vouchers.

'Each time I get a person who says things weren't done right by the first person, and they're going to sort it out within a week, and then, of course, that doesn't happen,' he lamented.

'I had a bit of pride in the national carrier, and during COVID, I thought we'd do our little bit to support them as well…but this experience has made me go. I don't want to fly with them again. We need that money just for living expenses at the moment with the cost-of-living (crisis).'

After media intervention, Qantas finally agreed to a full refund for the Reynolds.

'We sincerely apologise for Mr Reynolds' experience and recognise this is not the experience our customers expect,' a Qantas spokesperson stated.

'We have reached out to Mr Reynolds to apologise and to arrange for the remaining funds to be refunded.'

Before booking your next flight, here are some tips to consider:
  1. Travel Insurance: Always purchase comprehensive travel insurance covering flight cancellations and interruptions. Travel insurance can provide a safety net in case of unforeseen circumstances.
  2. Keep Documentation: Maintain a record of all your bookings, confirmations, and correspondence with the airline. Documents will be invaluable if you need to prove your case.
  3. Know Your Rights: Familiarise yourself with the airline's compensation policy and your legal rights as a passenger. In Australia, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) provides guidance on consumer rights regarding flight cancellations and delays.
  4. Be Proactive: Contact the airline's customer service immediately if you encounter issues. Keep a log of who you spoke with and how the conversation went.
  5. Seek Support: If you need more help from the airline, contact consumer advocacy groups or the media, as these can often expedite a resolution.
  6. Consider Alternatives: If an airline repeatedly fails to meet your expectations, it may be time to look at other carriers for your travel needs.
This incident is a reminder of the challenges that can arise when travelling. It also emphasises customer rights, especially for services that may require a hefty sum of money.
Key Takeaways

• A Melbourne family's travel plans were thrown into chaos after Qantas couldn't find their pre-booked tickets for a trip to the Gold Coast.
  • The family, who had previously dealt with COVID-19-related cancellations, had to purchase new tickets at the airport despite having proof of their initial booking.
  • Weeks after the incident, Qantas refunded only a portion of the original cost and offered additional vouchers.
  • Following media involvement, Qantas apologised for the customer's experience and committed to fully refunding the family's incurred costs.
Have you faced similar challenges when travelling? How did you resolve them? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
In the news on t.v. tonight Qantas has admitted to selling tickets for seats on flights which never even existed for years. The result is they will refund the monies paid & also pay each person compensation.

I wonder how much interest was received into their Bank balance with all that I'll gotten gain from those unfortunate "passengers" booked on those PHANTOM FLIGHTS?

Please correct me if l am wrong but, taking money for non - existent flights amounts to FRAUD, doesn't it?

Reactions: Puck