Are you at risk? Infection spikes after a contagious traveller visits multiple locations

In a concerning development for public health, Australians are being urged to stay alert following reports that a highly infectious traveller has returned from overseas and visited several locations across the country.

The traveller, who recently returned from Asia, has been confirmed to have measles, prompting New South Wales (NSW) Health to issue an urgent health alert for multiple areas in the state.

The individual infected promptly returned to Murwillumbah upon their return from overseas travel.

This case has raised alarms due to the highly contagious nature of measles, which can be easily spread through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

compressed-skin-allergy-person-s-arm.jpeg
NSW Health issued an urgent health alert for measles. Image source: Freepik

The alert specifically advised primary and secondary students who used the Singh Company school bus on February 5, as well as residents who visited Murwillumbah Hospital between specific hours on Friday and Saturday, to be vigilant for symptoms.

These symptoms can include a runny nose, cough, red and watery eyes, and small white spots inside the cheeks, followed by the characteristic rash that starts on the head and spreads to the rest of the body.

Measles is not to be taken lightly as it could lead to severe complications and even death. While anyone can be infected, children are the most vulnerable.

Measles is a highly contagious disease, especially for those with weakened immune systems. It is characterised by a red rash that spreads across the body.

Despite the availability of a safe and cost-effective vaccine since 1963, measles remains a significant global health threat.

According to the World Health Organisation, an estimated 128,000 people died from measles globally in 2021.

Dr Valeri Delpech, North Coast Regional Director of Population and Public Health, has emphasised the importance of vaccination, stating, 'This latest case is a reminder for everyone to check that they are protected against measles, which is very infectious.'

She advised that anyone born in 1966 or after should have received two doses of the measles vaccine to be fully protected.

The alert also contains an important message for travellers, especially those visiting regions currently experiencing measles outbreaks.

It is crucial to ensure vaccinations are up to date before travelling. For those unsure about their vaccination status, NSW Health advised that it is best to get vaccinated, as additional doses are safe.

Moreover, travellers can also check the Centre for Disease Control webite, where they listed the top ten countries with the most measles cases.

In the event that someone develops symptoms and suspects they may have been exposed to measles, it is critical to call ahead to their GP or emergency department to avoid spending time in waiting rooms with other patients.

To learn more about measles, you can visit this website.

Members, this recent health alert highlights the importance of maintaining up-to-date vaccinations, not just for personal health but also for the well-being of our community. It's essential to stay informed about potential exposure sites and to follow health advisories closely.

This is not the first health alert against measles. Last month, NSW issued the same warning after an infected infant and its family visited several places in the state.

Key Takeaways
  • NSW Health has issued an urgent health alert for Northern NSW after a confirmed measles case in Murwillumbah who travelled from Asia.
  • People, especially primary and secondary students who used the Singh Company school bus on the 5th of February and residents who visited Murwillumbah Hospital during specified times, are urged to check for measles symptoms.
  • Symptoms of measles include a runny nose, cough, red and watery eyes, and a rash that starts on the head and spreads to the rest of the body, appearing after small white spots inside the cheeks.
  • NSW Health advised everyone born in 1966 or later to ensure they have had two doses of the measles vaccine, especially before travelling, as outbreaks are occurring around the world.

Have you or someone you know been affected by measles? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
One of the diseases (along with smallpox) that wiped out a huge number of our highly vulnerable first nations people when the British brought their convicts here..as a retired Vaccination endorsed nurse (amongst other quals and experience ), a good reminder to make sure we are up to date with our immunisations.

• Wow
Reactions: Chicky and Iggydi
I’ve never had the childhood diseases When one of my girls got chicken pox I said to the dr I’d never had them he virtually called me a liar. I said should I keep the baby away he said no so at 40 and my bub was 3 months. We both got chicken pox. Mine was very mild. He told me I could get it again but a super dooper dose. My bab y got it again later and it was everywhere I haven’t had it again. Thankfully that dr has retired now

I’ve never had the childhood diseases When one of my girls got chicken pox I said to the dr I’d never had them he virtually called me a liar. I said should I keep the baby away he said no so at 40 and my bub was 3 months. We both got chicken pox. Mine was very mild. He told me I could get it again but a super dooper dose. My bab y got it again later and it was everywhere I haven’t had it again. Thankfully that dr has retired now
😮 how rude was he! what a 🐷 yeah thank goodness he’s gone.

So a traveller returned from overseas, was ill and likely symptomatic with 'something', but proceeded to get around in public, with a likelyhood of infecting other people!

What part of the ' if you are sick...stay away from others' didn't they or the parents get!

I thick most of our generation and our children are vaccinated against measles.
I feel there are alot of new parents not vaccinating because they think that the disease nolonger exist or that the vaccination causes illnesses like autism.
I've heard both of these excuses a number of times.

What they don't realise is the virus is laying dormant only because of everyone being vaccinated, then when people stop vaccinating it rears it's ugly head

Last edited:
Your apparent immunityIt could have been easily determined by a blood test..The doctor sounds a bit ignorant to me..I've never had mumps, nor the vaccination. Looked after one of my kids some 45 years ago who had mumps, before there was a vaccine for it, and still didn't get the mumps..my mother had mumps when she was pregnant with me. Possibly had lifelong immunity from that passed through the placenta..interesting..

I had Measles, Chickenpox when I was much younger and then got German Measles when I was 17. That knocked me for a six.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I had Measles, Chickenpox when I was much younger and then got German Measles when I was 17. That knocked me for a six.
I had measles, mumps and German measles as a child and I think it was all with in two years.
All my kids are vaccinated and the only childhood disease they have had is chicken pox , due to not being vaccinated
The only one they were not vaccinated for was chicken pox , two were vaccinated due to the vaccination only coming out and was a cost of $80 . So I could only do two at a time, and they were the two who never got chicken pox.

Once you have had chicken pox you are immune unless you get shingles later on in life

You can actually get measles and German measles at the same time I suspect that I had them both at 4 years old because I ended up in the hospital with it .

Reactions: Littleboy8
This person is obviously not vaccinated. The only worry now is for those fools who have not vaccinated their children. I can only had chicken pox as a child. Even when my 2 sisters had measles and chicken pox together at the same time and I shared a room with them.
My husband caught chicken pox in his late thirties and then all 4 kids got it😩.
I don't know anyone who has had measles in many years. Guess all my friends and families are smart enough to be vaccinated.♥️

I had just about all the childhood illnesses like measles, German measles, mumps , chickenpox and Rubella . We never worried about it as it is better to have it and get it over and done with . I remember when my kids were little and went to play school , they had signs on the door if there was a childhood illness going around and they tell you if your child did not had this specific infection , go there and they have kind of “parties” , so your children get the infection and then continue with your life . It is better to have the infection when you want them to have it , in stead of waiting when you go on holiday and all at a sudden you might not be able to go as your child is sick.

I had all childhood vaccinations in the 1950s, but the measles vaccine was not available when I was young. I contracted severe measles at 27, and spent a week in hospital in isolation. My husband and mother were told that they should prepare for the worst, or for brain damage because of the very high temperature that I had for days. I barely remember a couple of those days. My eyesight was affected for some time after. I have eight siblings, and my mother believed that I had measles as a child, but I was holidaying with relatives when it spread through the whole family. Measles is not a disease to be taken lightly, especially if contracted as an adult.

This comes as very alarming with the measles outbreak information, especially when he is a very infectious traveller going to so many places.
It really doesn't concern me directly, but it kinda reminded me to be conscious of my health more, especially on the skin. I was actually trying to shift into different brands of skincare products lately, looking for that which really works for me.
On this note, I fell on this reference dermatology textbook and found it quite informing; maybe it may be of help to you too. Here is the link: https://www.therapeutique-dermatologique.org/

This comes as very alarming with the measles outbreak information, especially when he is a very infectious traveller going to so many places.
It really doesn't concern me directly, but it kinda reminded me to be conscious of my health more, especially on the skin. I was actually trying to shift into different brands of skincare products lately, looking for that which really works for me.
On this note, I fell on this reference dermatology textbook and found it quite informing; maybe it may be of help to you too. Here is the link: https://www.therapeutique-dermatologique.org/
It’s in French or an 👽 language I can’t read it. Stupid post.👎

Last edited: