Status
Not open for further replies.

'Highly contagious' passenger at an Aussie airport prompts urgent health warning

In a world where international travel is commonplace, the risk of infectious diseases spreading across borders is a reality many must face.

Recently, NSW Health issued an urgent alert after a passenger infected with measles, a highly contagious airborne virus, travelled through Sydney International Airport and landed in the ACT.

The adult passenger, returning from Asia, was found to be infectious during their travel.

Asia, like Europe, has been grappling with ongoing measles outbreaks, making this a matter of concern for Australian health authorities.

Dr Christine Selvey, Director of Communicable Diseases Branch for NSW Health, has urged the public to be vigilant for signs and symptoms of measles, especially if they were on the same flight or visited the same locations as the infected individual.

SDC 3.png
An adult passenger returning from Asia was found to have been infected with the measles virus. Image source: Freepik.

Measles is a vaccine-preventable viral disease that spreads through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

It is highly contagious and can lead to serious complications, particularly in children under five.

Despite being preventable, measles remains a common cause of death in some parts of the world, highlighting the importance of vaccination.

'Symptoms of measles include fever, runny nose, sore eyes and a cough, usually followed three or four days later by a red, blotchy rash that spreads from the head to the rest of the body,' Dr Selvey explained.

'Symptoms may appear between [seven] and 18 days after an exposure, so it's important for people to stay vigilant if they've been exposed, and if they develop symptoms, please call ahead to their GP or emergency department to ensure they do not spend time in the waiting room with other patients.'

'This should be a reminder for everyone to check that they are protected against measles, which is very infectious.'

One reliable and effective defence against measles is the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine.

For children between the ages of 12 and 18 months, the vaccine is covered by the National Immunization Program (NIP).

In addition, anyone in NSW born during or after 1966 who hasn't received two doses of the vaccination is eligible for free.

When travelling to areas that are deemed high risk for measles, children between the ages of six and twelve months can receive their first dose of the MMR vaccine earlier, provided they first check in with their GP.

Those who are unsure of whether they have had two doses 'should get a vaccine as additional doses are safe'.

Below are the locations where people may have been exposed to the virus:

People may have been exposed to the virus in the following locations-.jpg
Key Takeaways

• NSW Health has issued an alert advising the public to look out for measles symptoms after an infectious passenger travelled through Sydney International Airport.
  • The infectious individual was returning from Asia and was in specific locations where others may have been exposed.
  • Dr Christine Selvey from NSW Health emphasised the importance of vaccination, particularly before overseas travel due to ongoing measles outbreaks worldwide.
  • NSW Health advises that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is safe and effective and is free for certain individuals, with the recommendation to ensure two doses have been received.
If you or a loved one is experiencing measles symptoms or have questions about measles, please call your GP or Healthdirect at 1800 022 222.

Have you, or anyone you know, been diagnosed with measles before? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I thought everyone had to have a vaccination certificate for all diseases.
Well, what can I say...... where did the come from?????????

Reactions: Yani
Another dangerous virus.
Another scam. Its all lies and BS
Stop promoting this rubbish. Covid was a lie and so is this, all so you go get more killer jabs. Wake up for Gods's. Surely you have a brain to realise whats hoing on.. Are you all total stupid..
Oh my friend ,I'm thinking it's you who don't have a brain.

Covid is very real , everyone in my family have had it and some were very sick.
My daughter who is a nurse saw 6 patients die from covid only 3 months ago.

Measles, smallpox, diphtheria hasn't been seen for years due to vaccination and I'm guessing it's rearing it's ugly head due to parents not vaccinating. And these parents have never seen what devastating results these diseases can have.

Now tell me what planet or country did you just arrive from

Obviously you didnt have your mother die from covid. How dare you.
Very sorry your mother died, but a can assure you, it was not Covid.
You were lied to. She either doed from bacterial pneumonia, or mis treatment by a hospital, or, those vaccines they jabbed peopl with. In NZ , one day, 38 peopl jabbed, 30 died within 48 hrs. Details the Govt hid, but now released. The truth is out. If you refuse to see the truth, then you are truely blind. Im trying to save lives, by exposing lies weve been told for years.. Please wake up.. Your life depends on it.

Oh my friend ,I'm thinking it's you who don't have a brain.

Covid is very real , everyone in my family have had it and some were very sick.
My daughter who is a nurse saw 6 patients die from covid only 3 months ago.

Measles, smallpox, diphtheria hasn't been seen for years due to vaccination and I'm guessing it's rearing it's ugly head due to parents not vaccinating. And these parents have never seen what devastating results these diseases can have.

Now tell me what planet or country did you just arrive from
Had they been jabbed with the vaccine, or treated with remdisavir. If yes, then you have your answer.. im living prove, there is no covid. Over 70. Exposed to it all, and ive never been healthier..
you continue to ignore truth, its your choice.

See, this is what its all about. Putting the people against each other, divide and conquer is their plan, and you are falling for it.
I dont hate you for your comments against me, as your mind has been poisoned. Rest in peace my friend.
Your doing it , you didn't answer where are you from because you are not an Aussie

Another dangerous virus.
Another scam. Its all lies and BS
Stop promoting this rubbish. Covid was a lie and so is this, all so you go get more killer jabs. Wake up for Gods's. Surely you have a brain to realise whats hoing on.. Are you all total stupid..
Amazing that people still say this stuff!!!!. . . . Obviously you didn’t lose a loved one to Covid and witnessed their excruciating death

Press on her avatar and check out her profile she’s a whacko nutcase. She says she’s here to save us seniors.🤣don’t drink the water its got acid in it.etc.
“Don’t drink the water fish f. .k in it too”
Whacko bitch🤣
🤪😮 I think he/ she should be removed
It is a he and in his new members post he said he is on here to share health information and won't be a pest 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else
  • We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×