I never click on any link, whether it’s via email, fb or text. I go straight to the official website. I received a letter a few years ago after the AHM cyber attack advising that both mine & my son’s personal details were for sale on the dark web, then another advice from Ticketek for the same reason earlier this year. I’ve had to get new Medicare cards for us, a new credit card & change passwords. Just recently both my work & personal credit cards had unauthorised transactions. There was no issue getting the money back through the bank as they could see I only use PayPal for online transactions. Also in 2020 my workplace had a ransomware attack which caused a complete shutdown of all systems & we reverted to manual systems for 6 months, which affected customers as well as the business. You can have security on everything but these unconscionable scammers always seem to find a way.

MYGOV don't send emails so why do people keep saying it is a scam of course it's a scam
Unfortunately a lot of elderly new to tech don’t have as much info as they should have, at 84 I have learned check and check again but always like to get these messages just in case.

It is a scam
ATO or My Gov do not do this ever
This has been around for a while anyways
I have just received this one from the Aus Tax Refund Office, which I don't believe actually exists:

You have received a new update and pending payment on your MyGov account.

Login to Access.

Best Regards,
MyGov Support Team.
doe

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
I will never forget the day HUBBY had a hissy fit at Coles,screaming down the phone to the supposed "mungrels that have been phoning me for weeks telling me that they are my bank and need to talk to me about my account"😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭
Sorry but I am recalling it,he actually told them to get stuffed,which he would normally never do,meanwhile I AM GESTURING NO NO NO WITH MY HANDS,he shouts what's the matter,bloody mongrels,then I tell him it IS THE BANK THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO GET BACK TO US REMEMBER,COS ,OUR CARD IS NOT BEING ACCEPTED??????????
OH I could tell you more but am picking myself up off the floor telling you this much.SHOULD HAVE SEEN HIS FACE....FROM RED TO ASHEN WHITE...THEN TED AGAIN🤣🤣🤣
My husband told a scammer that the traffic infringment couldn't have been mine because I died 3 weeks before that date. lol

I have just received this one from the Aus Tax Refund Office, which I don't believe actually exists:

Login to Access.

Best Regards,
MyGov Support Team.
I’ve received the very same one. Deleted of course.

Login to Access.

Best Regards,
MyGov Support Team.
If these emails have a link in them, do NOT use the link. Govt agencies and Banks do not send emails with "links" in them!

When I realise it is a scam, I usually keep them on the phone for as long as possible so that they don't destroy anyone else, then I tell them I have their telephone number.

Login to Access.

Best Regards,
MyGov Support Team.
I have had a bundle of My Gov messages lately. I have to be extra cautious as I have a My Govt account for my DVA correspondence. Be very wary - DO NOT OPEN any of them.

Reactions: DLHM
I have received about 15 spam emails informing me that my payment for SIRIUS XM could not be processed. Never even heard of it until now. Also a few stating my Netflix payment could not be processed. Please be cautious if you receive these emails.

Reactions: oldsalt
I have been approached by a woman who claims to be from a lottery office attached to Facebook telling me that I have won a 2 million dollar windfall lottery.
In order to receive this money rather than direct bank deposit she wants me to give her my myGov account passwords in order to deposit it directly to my myGov account.
This has been going on dispite my blunt refusal. This happened in the wake of my Gmail account being hacked, I still cannot contact Gmail about this incident and I have had to pay 1500 dollars in order to stop identity theft.
Please everyone be careful.
Brian Anstee

I have been approached by a woman who claims to be from a lottery office attached to Facebook telling me that I have won a 2 million dollar windfall lottery.
In order to receive this money rather than direct bank deposit she wants me to give her my myGov account passwords in order to deposit it directly to my myGov account.
This has been going on dispite my blunt refusal. This happened in the wake of my Gmail account being hacked, I still cannot contact Gmail about this incident and I have had to pay 1500 dollars in order to stop identity theft.
Please everyone be careful.
Brian Anstee
These scammers need to be drawn and quartered. They have no morals, no ethics, no care for anything but making an illegal buck at the expense of innocents. Take their life away (financially) and see how they like it.

Last edited:
I to have had multiple message telling me my Netflix account needs renewing. Lost count how many times I go it, sometime twice a day. Luckily over the last couple of weeks they have given up.
The same mob have finally ceased contacting me also. Multitudes of messages advising me my Netflix account was due to be paid and I have never had a Netflix account. Now another mob of oxygen thieves are using a Mygov address.

Hi Brian I am a bit puzzled as to why You had to pay $1500.00 ? In order to stop identity theft
I normally send any unusual messages to the ACCC.. I am sure they could have helped .
I know it’s a bit late now but maybe you can use them for future scam/spam issues. Hope this helps.
Looks like they were scammed anyway

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
Definate SCAM. If a message contains a phone numbers or link, treat it as a scam.
Facebook users beware of Elon Musk and other celeb profiles. THEY ARE ALL IMPOSTERS & SCAMMERS. DO NOT TRUST THEM. The scammer either want a $500 Apple card to validate your fake prize (Tesla & or cash) or try to get you to sign up for Crypto or other investment scams. I often chat with these people to waste their time to see what they up too. When I ask for a video chat they have every excuse not to. Some of them claim to be employed by Musk and they might exchange a call chat be never show their face. All have are South African.
I'm getting a lot of those cryptocurrency emails. I don't open them up, I just delete them straight away

Reactions: DLHM