Major supermarkets in trouble? Find out how discount retailers are giving them a run for their money!

Are major supermarkets in Australia about to experience their biggest shake-up yet? It certainly looks that way as discount retailers are coming after the majors by offering certain grocery items for noticeably less.

Discount retailers such as The Reject Shop and NQR are competing with big names like Coles and Woolworths by offering certain groceries at significantly reduced prices.

With two-thirds of Australian groceries purchased from major supermarket chains, this new approach could potentially save the average consumer thousands of dollars on everyday household items.

One Reject Shop employee who stated, ‘If that means we're coming after the big guys, then I guess we are,’ seems to be on a mission to prove that David can indeed take on Goliath.

discount1.jpg
Smaller retailers are giving bigger shops a run for their money. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

While Coles and Woolworths continue to reign supreme in the fresh food department, the likes of smaller stores and discount retailers are focusing their efforts on aggressively pricing items like soaps and laundry detergents.

One loyal shopper, who swears by the discount stores, said: ‘I regularly shop (at discount stores) just before I go into the main supermarket, just because you can pick up some great deals.’

With the current cost-of-living crisis affecting many Australians, NQR chief executive Ewan Jones highlights the importance of affordable groceries. He said: ‘Some people can't even live on a grocery bill these days. We are happy to say we can help them with that.’

For example, Morning Fresh dishwashing liquid can cost around $5 at Coles or Woolworths, while at the Reject Shop and NQR, it is available for half the price.

Hand soap and laundry detergent prices are also strikingly discounted at these alternative stores.

discount2.jpg
Smaller players are also getting more aggressive with pricing on things like household cleaning essentials. Credit: Markus Spiske/Pexels

Joel Gibson, the author of Easy Money – a book about saving money, told reporters that shopping at smaller retailers could bring in more savings which could be quite ‘surprising’ to many consumers.

‘The business model of a lot of discount stores is cancelled orders, excess stock…or parallel import type stock,’ he said.

You can read more about The Reject Shop’s ‘parallel imports’ here.

But there's a catch! The major supermarkets still hold one significant advantage – convenience. As Mr Gibson aptly points out, ‘The reality is, what the major supermarkets sell above all else is convenience. You can get just about everything in one place, and that's exactly what they want you to do.’

This isn’t the first time Mr Gibson has shared money-saving tips online. In a separate article, he details all the ways a shopper could maximise their grocery savings and make their budgets stretch for longer. You can read more about his tips and tricks here.

Ultimately, it boils down to the age-old question of time versus money.

The potential savings of shopping at discount retailers are undoubtedly real, but are they worth the extra effort of shopping around and potentially making multiple stops to acquire all your grocery needs?

But one thing's for sure: discount retailers are certainly making their presence felt in the world of Australian grocery shopping.

So, keep an eye out for the best deals to stretch your dollar (or save some for a rainy day)!
Key Takeaways
  • Discount retailers such as the Reject Shop and NQR are competing with major supermarkets on some items, offering noticeably lower prices on certain grocery items.
  • These smaller players are focusing on aggressively pricing household items like soaps and laundry detergents while leaving fresh food to the major supermarket chains.
  • NQR CEO Ewan Jones believes discount stores can appeal to new customers amid the cost of living crisis, helping individuals save on their grocery bills.
  • Easy Money author Joel Gibson explains that the business model of discount stores is based on cancelled orders, excess stock, or parallel import type stock, resulting in lower prices.
What’s your verdict, members? Do you think it’s worth the effort to save a dollar or two by shopping around at discount retailers? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
I haven't heard of NQR and the Reject shop isn't in my shopping centre. We have Stacks which sells some things cheaper but you still have to go to the major supermarkets, Coles, Woollies and Aldi to get most things. I feel my shopping centre is a high end shopping centre unfortunately but would love to see discount stores in it.

Are major supermarkets in Australia about to experience their biggest shake-up yet? It certainly looks that way as discount retailers are coming after the majors by offering certain grocery items for noticeably less.

Discount retailers such as The Reject Shop and NQR are competing with big names like Coles and Woolworths by offering certain groceries at significantly reduced prices.

With two-thirds of Australian groceries purchased from major supermarket chains, this new approach could potentially save the average consumer thousands of dollars on everyday household items.

One Reject Shop employee who stated, ‘If that means we're coming after the big guys, then I guess we are,’ seems to be on a mission to prove that David can indeed take on Goliath.

View attachment 21024
Smaller retailers are giving bigger shops a run for their money. Credit: Polina Tankilevitch/Pexels

While Coles and Woolworths continue to reign supreme in the fresh food department, the likes of smaller stores and discount retailers are focusing their efforts on aggressively pricing items like soaps and laundry detergents.

One loyal shopper, who swears by the discount stores, said: ‘I regularly shop (at discount stores) just before I go into the main supermarket, just because you can pick up some great deals.’

With the current cost-of-living crisis affecting many Australians, NQR chief executive Ewan Jones highlights the importance of affordable groceries. He said: ‘Some people can't even live on a grocery bill these days. We are happy to say we can help them with that.’

For example, Morning Fresh dishwashing liquid can cost around $5 at Coles or Woolworths, while at the Reject Shop and NQR, it is available for half the price.

Hand soap and laundry detergent prices are also strikingly discounted at these alternative stores.

View attachment 21025
Smaller players are also getting more aggressive with pricing on things like household cleaning essentials. Credit: Markus Spiske/Pexels

Joel Gibson, the author of Easy Money – a book about saving money, told reporters that shopping at smaller retailers could bring in more savings which could be quite ‘surprising’ to many consumers.

‘The business model of a lot of discount stores is cancelled orders, excess stock…or parallel import type stock,’ he said.

But there's a catch! The major supermarkets still hold one significant advantage – convenience. As Mr Gibson aptly points out, ‘The reality is, what the major supermarkets sell above all else is convenience. You can get just about everything in one place, and that's exactly what they want you to do.’

This isn’t the first time Mr Gibson has shared money-saving tips online. In a separate article, he details all the ways a shopper could maximise their grocery savings and make their budgets stretch for longer. You can read more about his tips and tricks here.

The potential savings of shopping at discount retailers are undoubtedly real, but are they worth the extra effort of shopping around and potentially making multiple stops to acquire all your grocery needs?

But one thing's for sure: discount retailers are certainly making their presence felt in the world of Australian grocery shopping.

So, keep an eye out for the best deals to stretch your dollar (or save some for a rainy day)!
Key Takeaways

• Discount retailers such as the Reject Shop and NQR are competing with major supermarkets on some items, offering noticeably lower prices on certain grocery items.
  • These smaller players are focusing on aggressively pricing household items like soaps and laundry detergents while leaving fresh food to the major supermarket chains.
  • NQR CEO Ewan Jones believes discount stores can appeal to new customers amid the cost of living crisis, helping individuals save on their grocery bills.
  • Easy Money author Joel Gibson explains that the business model of discount stores is based on cancelled orders, excess stock, or parallel import type stock, resulting in lower prices.
What’s your verdict, members? Do you think it’s worth the effort to save a dollar or two by shopping around at discount retailers? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below!
I buy toiletries such as deodorant, body wash and dry shampoo from The Reject Shop or Hot Bargains at our local shopping centre.

View attachment 21024

View attachment 21025

Key Takeaways

Most certainly, I save over $50 per fortnight by first shopping at Reject Shop & Red Dot - I always check/compare online before writing my shopping list & then also check best deals between Coles & Woolworths also K Mart & Big W. It is actually rather interesting.

I haven't heard of NQR and the Reject shop isn't in my shopping centre. We have Stacks which sells some things cheaper but you still have to go to the major supermarkets, Coles, Woollies and Aldi to get most things. I feel my shopping centre is a high end shopping centre unfortunately but would love to see discount stores in it.
Shopping centre rental costs are too high for NQR (Not Quite Right), and
The Reject Shop (TRS trading) struck majors cash flow problems in Victoria’s lockdown imprisonment years. Melbourne’s CBD lost hundreds of shops including the extremely popular and reliable Reject Shop in Bourke St Mall.
About 20yrs ago, we had Cheap As Chips who were excellent, but they ran away, too.

View attachment 21024

View attachment 21025

Key Takeaways

Soft course

View attachment 21024

View attachment 21025

Key Takeaways

NQR and Reject Shop can sell some items below Woolies and Coles, they purchase lots that are end of lines or have damage to carton etc. They do not sell the same items each week. If you have one in your area good luck but please remember to check use by dates even more so than you do at Woolies and Coles

Shopping centre rental costs are too high for NQR (Not Quite Right), and
The Reject Shop (TRS trading) struck majors cash flow problems in Victoria’s lockdown imprisonment years. Melbourne’s CBD lost hundreds of shops including the extremely popular and reliable Reject Shop in Bourke St Mall.
About 20yrs ago, we had Cheap As Chips who were excellent, but they ran away, too.
We have cheap as chips and the Reject shop opposite each other here. I use both regularly. They are so much cheaper than the supermarkets

I call in to an NQR whenever I pass one. It’s always worth looking. Sometimes they have super specials and I can stock up. I find them generally cheaper than the Reject Shop.

Reactions: Ezzy and Bindii
Radiant Fresh and Clean Laundry Liquid
2 litre for $7.50 at the Reject Shop….Coles sell the same product for $20.00 oh this week it is on “special” for $10.00
Reject Shop wins on this and Finish Dishwashing Tablets every time.
Money is better in my pocket than the big greedy supermarkets!!

View attachment 21024

View attachment 21025

Key Takeaways

Reactions: Jarred Santos
Being pensioner....I had to look around for Good Prices....so I now go to Reject shop(staff are nice) buy what I need.(no fresh meat etc But hey big shops close by) I TAKE my time...and get goodies
Don't get held up they are good...nice to have someone at Cash Register..

View attachment 21024

View attachment 21025

Key Takeaways

I would definitely shop around if the cheaper shops were any where close by. But where I live, the nearest discount shop is between 30-40 minutes drive away; not exactly convenient to get to.

One member stated that the same items are not always on special each week & like Thecheesequeen, l would be buying up in bulk. There is always an opportunity to save money on products if one knows where to look. Another reason l find this site such a bonus, people are prepared to share information like this.

Reminds me of the slogan W.A. Salvage had when they operated in W.A., "We're not fancy but we're cheap."