Professional Cleaner Answers: Can I get a better cleaning item for cheaper at The Reject Shop?

If there’s something we here at the SDC know all too well, it’s the pure joy of finding something we need or love at a discounted price.

Bigger, better and more value for your dollar — there’s almost nothing more satisfying than a piece of quality merchandise at a heavily discounted rate.

At the same time, we also have to exercise caution when purchasing items that have been discounted, because chances are, these items were steeply marked down for a good reason.

It’s important to note that this is especially significant when it comes to goods related to home maintenance and cleanliness.

In a review that'll make you think twice about picking up cleaning products at bargain prices, one professional cleaner made the rounds on social media after revealing that she bought a popular scrubbing item from The Reject Shop at a fraction of its retail price at Coles.

Taking to the Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia Facebook group, the cleaner wrote that she was shopping at the store when she noticed that the price of the Scrub Daddy had been slashed to just $3.75, as opposed to the $5 she usually paid for it at Coles.

It’s not surprising, then, that this offer was too good to pass up so she bought a couple of the discounted items!

She wrote: 'I saw that Reject Shop was selling Scrub Daddy products for $3.75. I own a cleaning business and always use Scrub Daddy's and Scour Daddy's (whatever I can get my hands on) but Coles sell them for $5 so I try to get them when they are half-price.'

327091429_746198409886692_8232057623501073664_n.jpg
The professional cleaner shared a photo of the two Scrub Daddy sponges side-by-side to show that the one she purchased from The Reject Shop (left) is much thinner than the one she bought from Coles (right). Credit: Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia/Facebook.

But as she examined her new purchase closer, she noticed an unusual difference: the 'Reject' Scrub Daddy was around half the size of the 'regular' version.

'So I went to buy a couple of them. Then when I got home I noticed they felt a bit "slimmer" than usual, so I compared it to my usual Scrub Daddys, and the ones I bought are pretty much halved in size,' the cleaner continued.

Despite being thinner than its 'original' counterpart, the woman noted that the product still works just as well.

She finished: 'So far there hasn't been much of a difference in the way I use it.'

Her review quickly generated a buzz in the Facebook Group, generating more than 800 likes.

Many group members thanked the woman for providing her review of the product as they admitted to thinking of purchasing the marked-down item.

One user wrote: ‘Thank you so much for this comparison! Was thinking there must be a catch. I'd rather wait until Coles goes on sale after seeing this review.'

A few people who have already bought The Reject Shop versions of the sponge also shared their first-hand experiences.

'Yes, I thought there was a bit of a size difference. I bought the same item from The Reject Shop,' one person shared.

Interestingly, one member shared an explanation for the difference in product size, claiming that these items had likely been rejected by the manufacturer in the first place.

One comment read: 'I just bought some yesterday from The Reject Shop. I haven't opened them yet but that's interesting about being half the size! The machine must have had a hissy fit and cut them wrong.'

In other words, the product may have been subjected to a 'factory defect' of some sort, which is why it was sent to be sold at a discount.

'It's called The Reject Shop. You're literally buying stuff that can't be sold for whatever reason,' another pointed out.

We thought we’d check whether this and true and headed to The Reject Shop website. In their FAQ they state: ‘Our first store opened in South Yarra, Victoria in 1981. This shop sold “seconds” and discontinued lines, hence The Reject Shop name. Today, however, we are focused on working closely with our suppliers to give our customers the lowest prices on essential items and general merchandise. We are here to help all Australians save money every day.’ They added that their stock is not ‘faulty’.

One user explained: 'The Reject Shop sells parallel brands. These are made for countries with lower standards. They look the same but on close inspection, they are not.'

Regarding the ‘Parallel Import’ symbol, The Reject Shop had this to say: ‘This is the genuine, branded article but it may differ in design, materials and formulation from similar products offered locally. It does not have the support of the official Australian distributor, but The Reject Shop supports these products with its normal trading warranty.’

The original poster also gave additional insights for those who are looking to purchase price-deflated items from stores like The Reject Shop, writing: 'I thought I could try the “cheaper” way and buy these, but seeing as they are half the size, it's probably worth waiting until Coles goes on special.'

Meanwhile, some people saw the humour in the product.

One user joked: 'I imagine this is why they are at The Reject Shop.'

'They just shaved $1.25 off the sponge,' another said.

A third added: 'Scrub Daddy went on a diet. When they said it was half off, this is not what you expected.'

Key Takeaways

• A professional cleaner shared her experience of buying a discounted Scrub Daddy from The Reject Shop.
  • The post revealed the differences between the regular Scrub Daddy and the ones sold at The Reject Shop.
  • Some people pointed out that there are reasons why some items are sent to the Reject Shop, and others saw the humour in the product.

Members, it’s always great to score some discounted merchandise, but it’s even better when the item you get works as expected.

Remember, the saying ‘you get what you pay for’ still rings true. So, while it can be tempting to purchase items that are offered at a discount, it is still best to step back and do thorough research before deciding your next move.

Do you have any tips for getting quality cleaning items for the best price? Or a great bargain you’ve found on cleaning products recently? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
If there’s something we here at the SDC know all too well, it’s the pure joy of finding something we need or love at a discounted price.

Bigger, better and more value for your dollar — there’s almost nothing more satisfying than a piece of quality merchandise at a heavily discounted rate.

At the same time, we also have to exercise caution when purchasing items that have been discounted, because chances are, these items were steeply marked down for a good reason.

It’s important to note that this is especially significant when it comes to goods related to home maintenance and cleanliness.

In a review that'll make you think twice about picking up cleaning products at bargain prices, one professional cleaner made the rounds on social media after revealing that she bought a popular scrubbing item from The Reject Shop at a fraction of its retail price at Coles.

Taking to the Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia Facebook group, the cleaner wrote that she was shopping at the store when she noticed that the price of the Scrub Daddy had been slashed to just $3.75, as opposed to the $5 she usually paid for it at Coles.

It’s not surprising, then, that this offer was too good to pass up so she bought a couple of the discounted items!

She wrote: 'I saw that Reject Shop was selling Scrub Daddy products for $3.75. I own a cleaning business and always use Scrub Daddy's and Scour Daddy's (whatever I can get my hands on) but Coles sell them for $5 so I try to get them when they are half-price.'

View attachment 12849
The professional cleaner shared a photo of the two Scrub Daddy sponges side-by-side to show that the one she purchased from The Reject Shop (left) is much thinner than the one she bought from Coles (right). Credit: Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia/Facebook.

But as she examined her new purchase closer, she noticed an unusual difference: the 'Reject' Scrub Daddy was around half the size of the 'regular' version.

'So I went to buy a couple of them. Then when I got home I noticed they felt a bit "slimmer" than usual, so I compared it to my usual Scrub Daddys, and the ones I bought are pretty much halved in size,' the cleaner continued.

Despite being thinner than its 'original' counterpart, the woman noted that the product still works just as well.

She finished: 'So far there hasn't been much of a difference in the way I use it.'

Her review quickly generated a buzz in the Facebook Group, generating more than 800 likes.

Many group members thanked the woman for providing her review of the product as they admitted to thinking of purchasing the marked-down item.

One user wrote: ‘Thank you so much for this comparison! Was thinking there must be a catch. I'd rather wait until Coles goes on sale after seeing this review.'

A few people who have already bought The Reject Shop versions of the sponge also shared their first-hand experiences.

'Yes, I thought there was a bit of a size difference. I bought the same item from The Reject Shop,' one person shared.

Interestingly, one member shared an explanation for the difference in product size, claiming that these items had likely been rejected by the manufacturer in the first place.

One comment read: 'I just bought some yesterday from The Reject Shop. I haven't opened them yet but that's interesting about being half the size! The machine must have had a hissy fit and cut them wrong.'

In other words, the product may have been subjected to a 'factory defect' of some sort, which is why it was sent to be sold at a discount.

'It's called The Reject Shop. You're literally buying stuff that can't be sold for whatever reason,' another pointed out.

We thought we’d check whether this and true and headed to The Reject Shop website. In their FAQ they state: ‘Our first store opened in South Yarra, Victoria in 1981. This shop sold “seconds” and discontinued lines, hence The Reject Shop name. Today, however, we are focused on working closely with our suppliers to give our customers the lowest prices on essential items and general merchandise. We are here to help all Australians save money every day.’ They added that their stock is not ‘faulty’.

One user explained: 'The Reject Shop sells parallel brands. These are made for countries with lower standards. They look the same but on close inspection, they are not.'

Regarding the ‘Parallel Import’ symbol, The Reject Shop had this to say: ‘This is the genuine, branded article but it may differ in design, materials and formulation from similar products offered locally. It does not have the support of the official Australian distributor, but The Reject Shop supports these products with its normal trading warranty.’

The original poster also gave additional insights for those who are looking to purchase price-deflated items from stores like The Reject Shop, writing: 'I thought I could try the “cheaper” way and buy these, but seeing as they are half the size, it's probably worth waiting until Coles goes on special.'

Meanwhile, some people saw the humour in the product.

One user joked: 'I imagine this is why they are at The Reject Shop.'

'They just shaved $1.25 off the sponge,' another said.

A third added: 'Scrub Daddy went on a diet. When they said it was half off, this is not what you expected.'

Key Takeaways

• A professional cleaner shared her experience of buying a discounted Scrub Daddy from The Reject Shop.
  • The post revealed the differences between the regular Scrub Daddy and the ones sold at The Reject Shop.
  • Some people pointed out that there are reasons why some items are sent to the Reject Shop, and others saw the humour in the product.

Members, it’s always great to score some discounted merchandise, but it’s even better when the item you get works as expected.

Remember, the saying ‘you get what you pay for’ still rings true. So, while it can be tempting to purchase items that are offered at a discount, it is still best to step back and do thorough research before deciding your next move.

Do you have any tips for getting quality cleaning items for the best price? Or a great bargain you’ve found on cleaning products recently? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

We all know the Vanish Brand stain remover well at Woolworths you can buy their soaker & stain remover exact same ingredient one for less than half the price it's in powder form, at The REJECT SHOP you can buy another soaker & stain remover powder in a 1 or 2 litre hot pink tub I've forgotten it's name it might be Supreme but it does the same job still much cheaper than Vanish I always dissolve it in hot water first you will be surprised

so this pro cleaner paid 3.75 for the reject shop item which was 1/2 the size of the 5 dollar Coles item. so 1/2 of 5 dollars is 2.50 so she actually paid 1.25 more for the el cheapo item by weight? and the 800 idiot muppets that ran to compliment her and like her are now brainwashed bunnies that will do the same?

Buy at Coles, open, cut in 1/2 much cheaper?

Looking at those photos, I would prefer the skinnier version from the Reject Shop. Simply because it's easier to squeeze clean in my hand. Less bulky.

Reactions: Bunyip57
I simply use enjo products don’t need to scrub or very rarely. I have found recently though to shine up sink using the white bottle of windex shines it beautifully. If it does need a scrub I use gumption. The sinks today are just not what they used to be unfortunately.

The solution is simple if you don't like it then don't go to Reject Shop. There is nothing simpler is there? I myself like the reject shop I also like Ten and under shop.
Hi! Dee, can you tell me what the Ten and Under shop is and where it is please? Cheers perritykity

Hi! Dee, can you tell me what the Ten and Under shop is and where it is please? Cheers perritykity
Hi perritykity,
The ten and under shop (one in town here) is where they sell a variety of things, ice creams some food, tights, toys and a lot of other things and everything is under $10. We are on the south coast. Have a nice day.

Reactions: perritykity