Deli dilemma: Woolworths' online shift sparks shopper outcry!

In the bustling aisles of Woolworths supermarkets across Australia, the deli counter stands as a beacon of freshness and flavour, enticing shoppers with an array of gourmet cheeses, savoury meats, and delectable antipasti.

As a cornerstone of the grocery shopping experience, Woolworths' deli counter has long been revered for its quality offerings and personalized service.

However, recent changes to the way customers can access deli items both in-store and online have left many questioning the future of this beloved department.

Woolworths’ decision to remove the option for shoppers to purchase deli counter items through online orders was met with a wave of discontent from thousands of customers nationwide.

The supermarket giant's spokesperson communicated that this move is part of a broader review aimed at enhancing the freshness of deli goods delivered to homes.

compressed-shutterstock_2285855627.jpeg
Shoppers were outraged after Woolworths confirmed major change in its deli departments. Credits: Shutterstock

‘ We’re listening to the customer feedback and always looking at ways to improve the freshness of the deli goods we have for home delivery,’ the spokesperson stated.

‘We’re undertaking a review of our delivery processes so we can continue to ensure we’re providing the best offering for our customers.’

‘Where we can, we will offer customers a suitable alternative if their preferred choice is not currently available,’ they added.

However, the promise of a review and potential alternatives did little to quell the frustration felt by many.

Disgruntled shoppers took to social media platforms to express their dissatisfaction and concern over the change, highlighting the inconvenience it poses, especially to those who are unable to visit the stores in person.

One shopper lamented, 'How come we can no longer buy deli items or your fresh baked bread like sourdough via online shopping?'

‘Can you tell me why I can’t buy any deli ham online at the Devonport store, please? There’s only some of the range of ham that’s available in-store and the rest isn’t available at all. It’s really inconvenient to people who can’t physically go in,’ another commented.

‘What’s with not more deliveries of deli sliced meat? Is kind of a staple for everyone,’ a third said.

‘I haven’t been able to purchase most deli items for over three weeks,’ added another.

The controversy came on the heels of Woolworths' trial of Deli Express sections in select Queensland stores last year.

This trial was initiated in response to what appears to be a shift in consumer behaviour, with sales of pre-packaged products reportedly on the rise and service sales, including those from the fresh deli counter, on a downward trend over the years.

While Woolworths has not reported any employee impacts as a result of the Deli Express trial, the current change has certainly impacted customer satisfaction.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths stopped offering the option to purchase deli counter items in online orders.
  • The decision is part of a review to improve the freshness and delivery process of deli goods for home delivery.
  • Customers expressed their displeasure on social media about the inability to order deli items and fresh-baked bread online.
  • Woolworths ran a Deli Express trial in selected stores last year, reportedly due to changing customer demand and growing sales of pre-packaged products.
Have you been affected by Woolworths' deli department change? How have you adapted your shopping habits? We encourage you to share your experiences and tips for navigating these changes in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Abby2
Sponsored
Prepacked deli meats do not compare to fresh sliced from the deli bar IMHO.
Doesn't really affect me though as I live too far away from stores to get home delivery.
Have thought of doing Click and collect to save time, but then I can't shop at Aldi, so it will cost me more.
Think I'll stick with the saving money.

Reactions: IAN3005
The deli counter at our local Woolworths is much smaller. It's underwhelming. Maybe though, Woolworths found not enough people buying from the deli counter. I always my sliced sandwich meat from the deli counters, I don't like the prepacked deli meats, they taste terrible.
You're right, they just don't taste the same and are dearer due to paying for all the plastic packaging etc.

I shop mainly online, am disgusted that I can no longer purchase my deli meat from Woolworths, have had to go into the store and the quality the last time I went wasn't good, never had a problem ordering my ham or chicken online so do not understand this sudden change which is an insult to customers. I only purchase hot chickens from IGA as they are Gluten free so I am now purchasing my deli meats from there as well. If Woolworths doesn't want me to purchase from the deli online then I won't be going into their store when I prefer to do direct to boot. I am just really disappointed.

The deli counter at our local Woolworths is much smaller. It's underwhelming. Maybe though, Woolworths found not enough people buying from the deli counter. I always my sliced sandwich meat from the deli counters, I don't like the prepacked deli meats, they taste terrible.
I just ask for what I want and they cut/slice it for me. No problem and means have fresh rather than something that may have been cut/sliced some hours earlier

Doesn't really affect me though as I live too far away from stores to get home delivery.
Have thought of doing Click and collect to save time, but then I can't shop at Aldi, so it will cost me more.
The stories I heard from an employee in the deli section would make your hair stand on end

In recently refurbished Woolies store I visited, I was astonished to find that the deli section had been totally removed and a large bank of refrigerated cabinets displaying prepacked Deli items at a substantially higher cost.

• Sad
Reactions: IAN3005 and marni
looks like the( fresh food people) dont want to be fresh food people anymore...maybe they didn't mean it anyway

With all the hours that Woolies open, l find it hard to believe that customers can't get there in those hours.