This one Aussie term has 'heaps' of people confused: 'Is that even real?'

Ah, the Australian language—it's as rich and colourful as our country.

From the bustling streets of Sydney to the rugged outback, our unique lingo is as much a part of our identity as Vegemite on toast.

One particular term throws our international friends into a linguistic spin.

The mystery word? 'Heaps'—which means 'a lot of'.

It rolls off Aussies' tongues easily—but to the uninitiated from overseas, it's as mysterious as a kangaroo in a dinner jacket.

The Local Pickup podcast hosts Jack and Kyle highlighted this confusion in a video.

compressed-heaps.jpeg
Jack from The Local Pickup recalled his experiences while using the word ‘heaps’. Image Credit: TikTok/The Local Pickup

'I remember I met some Americans and said, "Jeez, there's heaps of trees over there," and they had no idea what I was talking about,' Jack recalled.

'It's the same in the UK. They don't say heaps. I thought it was a common word worldwide.'

This revelation surprised not just the duo but many Aussies who consider the term universal.

'Heaps' isn't the only word causing a brawl.

'Keen' and 'cheers' are also among Aussie expressions that leave visitors scratching their heads.

'Keen' is used to express enthusiasm or eagerness.

More than just an invitation to drink, 'cheers' is a versatile word for celebrating, greeting, and thanking people in Australia.

The bewilderment isn't one-sided, though. Aussies abroad have found themselves in a linguistic limbo when their go-to phrases fall on uncomprehending ears.

"I lived as an Aussie in America, and no one knew what I meant or at least always got confused when I said heaps,' one commented.

'I'm from New Zealand, and Australians are some of the only people who understand "sweet" and "sweet as". I thought that was normal everywhere beforehand,' another chimed in.

Our slang can be a source of amusement or bemusement even within the Commonwealth.

'I live in London. All my English friends told me they didn't understand what I meant by "heaps" after saying it for a year. I no longer use it,' someone shared.

'I went on a Contiki trip with Americans and said "reckon". I got bullied the whole time,' a fourth recounted.

Watch the podcast episode here:

Source:the.local.pickup/TikTok

Remember that our everyday slang could be more international when trotting the globe or chatting with friends and family from overseas.

It's always a good idea to clarify if you see that quizzical look in response to your 'Aussie-isms'.

However, don't let this deter you from spreading linguistic love!

Aussie slang is a badge of our culture, and sharing it with the world can be a great conversation starter—even if it's just to explain what you are talking about.
Key Takeaways

• Australian podcast hosts reveal 'heaps' is a common term that confuses overseas visitors.
  • The term 'heaps' is used by Australians to mean 'a lot of', but it has yet to be universally understood.
  • Other Australian slang terms that baffle foreigners include 'keen' and 'cheers'.
  • Australians frequently encounter confusion when using these phrases while abroad.
Now, we're keen to hear from you! Have you had any funny encounters with our Aussie slang while abroad? Have you been receiving some puzzled looks here at home? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored