Extend your kitchen appliances' lifespan with these helpful tips!

In today's day and age, we are more conscious of the value of our hard-earned money, and the importance of making our purchases last.

This is especially true regarding the heart of our homes: the kitchen.

Major kitchen appliances like refrigerators, stoves, and dishwashers cost a pretty coin, and these items must serve us well for many years.

However, with the average lifespan of these appliances seemingly shrinking, what can we do to buck the trend and get the most out of our kitchen investments?

Let's acknowledge that kitchen appliance longevity has changed over the years.

It's not just a hunch—studies and industry insights confirm that the average lifespan of large appliances has decreased from 20 years to around 12.

This decline is attributed to the integration of complex computer electronics.

compressed-pexels-jvdm-1599791.jpeg
Kitchen appliances are usually beat up due to frequent usage. Image Credit: Pexels/Jean van der Meulen

While it adds functionality, it can also introduce vulnerabilities and make repairs more challenging.

So, how can we keep our kitchen aides in tip-top shape? Here are some tricks and tips to help extend the life of kitchen appliances:

Research about replacement parts

Before you commit to a new appliance, do a bit of digging.

Check if the company is transparent about offering replacement parts.

Brands like KitchenAid are famous for their self-repair and replacement parts sections on their websites.

If you need help finding information, call the company or consider a brand that supports long-term maintenance.

Understand the role of computer software

Even our fridges and ovens can be Wi-Fi enabled in today's world.

While this can be convenient, it's essential to consider the implications for repairs.

Look for authorised service facilities nearby and inquire about how the manufacturer handles software issues and updates.

Prioritise preventative care

The adage' an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' holds valid for appliances.

Regular cleaning and maintenance can go a long way.

Opt for appliances with mechanisms that are easy to disassemble and clean.

Some companies offer cleaning kits, or you can find third-party options.

Social media and forums like the Seniors Discounts Club’s Cleaning and Home Improvement section can also be a goldmine for maintenance tips from fellow users.

Be mindful of usage

'Average use' varies greatly from one household to another.

Consider how often the appliance will run and how many people it serves.

Adjust your usage habits if possible to reduce wear and tear.

For example, avoid opening the oven door too frequently during cooking.

Invest in quality

Going for the cheapest option might be tempting, but investing in a quality appliance from a reputable brand can save you money in the long run.

Look for products with solid warranties and good customer service records.

Consider energy efficiency

Energy-efficient appliances save you money on utility bills.

They also often run in cooler temperatures.

Less strain on their components can potentially extend their lifespan.

Study on basic repairs

Some minor repairs don't require a professional and can be done safely at home.

Familiarise yourself with your appliance's manual and watch instructional videos for simple fixes like replacing seals or cleaning filters.

Seek professional help when needed

For more complex issues, don't hesitate to call in a professional.

Fixing something beyond your skill level can lead to further damage and more costly repairs.

By taking these steps, you can maximise the value of kitchen appliances and avoid the frustration and expense of premature replacements.
Key Takeaways

• Appliances today don't last as long as they used to, with average lifespans reduced from 20 years to about 12 years.
  • Buyers should consider the company's post-sales services, such as replacement parts and warranty services.
  • Regular maintenance and preventative care can extend the lifespan of kitchen appliances.
  • Average use is subjective, and the durability of an appliance will depend on the frequency of use and the number of users, but having repair options can ensure longevity.
What are your tips and tricks for making appliances last? Have you had any success stories or cautionary tales to share? Share your stories and tips with us in the comments!

Sponsored
Don't buy just for the bells and whistles.
I have no interest in owning a refrigerator that has a computer screen on the door. I simply want something that does the job I want done without having to take out an engineer degree to understand how it works.
The DIY shows on TV seem to place a huge emphasis on having a home equipped with everything the heart might desire. It is a trend that can influence many folk into buying a brand instead of looking at the basics, including cost.
There is also the aspect of how much it costs to have simple repairs carried out when needed. The prices they charge make it almost necessary to ditch the old and buy the new. Bit of a catch 22 going on there.
Another issue I have come to grips over is the change in sizes of essential appliances, being, fridge, washing machine and under bench items.
If you have owned an item for some years and it is niched into a cavity in the wall, or under benchtop, you can run into problems finding a replacement when the time comes. I went through this when having to replace my under bench front load washing machine. Took a lot of research to find a decent product that would fit into the spot.
I have a 2 door side by side fridge/freezer. Hardly any made today. Most of them are those french door styles that I do not like at all. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't pack it in any time soon.
It's a jungle out there.