Major changes at Woolworths spark fury—Here’s how your local deli counter might be affected!

Are you a fan of the fresher, hand-cut meats from your local Woolworths deli counter?

Unfortunately, you may have reason to worry because Woolworths is undergoing a trial in a handful of their Queensland stores that may affect the way their delis are run.

Recently, one Woolies shopper was left feeling angry and extremely worried after noticing a major change at their local store.

In an online post, the shopper revealed that Woolworths had replaced the service counter—the one with deli items sold by individual weight—with a 'Deli Express' section.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 073122.png
A shopper expressed concern as his local Woolies now has a ‘Deli Express’ section instead of the former ‘Deli Counter’. Image: Reddit

There, customers can now find prepackaged meats and smallgoods in plastic packs. This means that Woolies customers will be unable to control specific options, such as how much meat they get or the cuts they prefer.

Not only that, but the customer further divulged that a Woolworths employee had informed them that the change would be coming to more stores across the nation.

It is understood that some stores have been selected for the trial due to lower customer demand for fresh meat compared to other stores.

The shopper also expressed his disappointment over the changes, saying it’s ‘the last straw’.

‘As part of Woolworths oh so glorious “makeover”, Woolworths no longer has a deli but has a “Deli Express” where you can now get you favourite meats prepackaged in 200-gram packets,’ the shopper added.

‘Oh, the flow of plastic waste just in time for Christmas. I’m making the switch. I’m not buying four packets of ham for a kilogram.’

Screenshot 2023-11-29 073150.png
Popular deli buys are now selling in the new ‘Deli Express’ section as pre-packaged meats. Image: Reddit

‘Had a chat with an employee, and they said Delis are now going to be a rare sight in stores.’

The customer also stated, ‘Employees advised it’s coming to a Woolworths near you soon’ and that ‘minimal purchases, if any, will now be made from here’.

Other users from social media show their dismay at the change made by Woolies.

‘I hate this and refuse to buy from it,’ one said.

‘Can’t control the portion, hardly ever on sale (plus they’ve jacked up the RRP price), can’t guarantee ham ain’t slimy, increase in single-use plastic…hard no,’ another said.

‘Cheaper and easier to have it produced off-site or overseas,’ one wrote.

However, former supermarket employees weren’t surprised by the change.

‘Supermarket deli counters are no loss. Having worked at one, I can tell you most of the products are the same as the ones on the shelves,’ one said.

‘They just come in bulk packaging then are unwrapped to sit out in the fresh air so that [customers] think they’re getting some gourmet bacon and sausage rolls,’ another replied.

‘Worked in delis all through my teens and managed them in my 20s, they are the least profitable departments in the store and generate the most food waste,’ one added.

‘Also customers have been moving away from delis for a while, in my experience a generational thing too…it was rare to see people under 40 or 50 come up to the counter,’ another wrote.

‘I’m really surprised it’s taken Woolies this long to can them as they’ve been talking about it for well over a decade,’ one said.

‘I’m not a fan of this and all the plastic waste it will produce, though,’ another added.

It seems that the plastic-packed notion is on the rise across the major supermarkets. Woolworths is just the latest retailer to join the trend, which was started by rival Coles several years ago.

Meanwhile, other commenters inquired if ‘Deli Express’ aisles will be in all Woolworths stores given the renovations at their local Woolworths, including new deli counters.

‘They just did a massive refurbishment on the Woolworths where I live, and there is still a traditional deli, although 25 per cent smaller than it previously was,’ one shared.

‘But still adequate, but definitely not as big a range as they previously had,’ someone else replied.

‘You must just be talking about your woolies in particular. My woolies is less than a year old, and the serviced deli is well and truly decked out,’ one responded.

It is understood that although WooIies has been trialling the new deli express, no employee has been impacted by it.

Woolworths continues to have fresh deli counters in the majority of its stores, specifically in more than 1,000 supermarkets nationwide, while implementing the trial.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has voiced their unhappiness regarding a major change to the deli counter in their local store, where the service counter has been replaced with a 'Deli Express' section.
  • Popular meat and smallgoods products are now sold in pre-packaged plastic packs rather than being available for purchase by specific weight.
  • The change is reportedly being trialled in several Woolworths stores in Queensland due to lower customer demand for fresh deli counters.
  • Despite predictions that the deli counter changes will spread to more stores, Woolworths will still maintain fresh deli counters in the majority of their over 1,000 supermarkets while the trial is underway.

What do you think of this story, members? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
With the cost of living pressures, I'm sure people are limiting their "luxuries". You can find other solutions. I now make my own pastrami using corned silverside ($10/kilo) using my slow cooker. Shop bought pastrami is nearing $50/kilo. I really don't see the point of Woolies packaging smallgoods when they are already available on the shelves in the likes of Primo and, of course, it's plastic packaging so where is Woolies' justification for this?

Are you a fan of the fresher, hand-cut meats from your local Woolworths deli counter?

Unfortunately, you may have reason to worry because Woolworths is undergoing a trial in a handful of their Queensland stores that may affect the way their delis are run.

Recently, one Woolies shopper was left feeling angry and extremely worried after noticing a major change at their local store.

In an online post, the shopper revealed that Woolworths had replaced the service counter—the one with deli items sold by individual weight—with a 'Deli Express' section.

View attachment 36084
A shopper expressed concern as his local Woolies now has a ‘Deli Express’ section instead of the former ‘Deli Counter’. Image: Reddit

There, customers can now find prepackaged meats and smallgoods in plastic packs. This means that Woolies customers will be unable to control specific options, such as how much meat they get or the cuts they prefer.

Not only that, but the customer further divulged that a Woolworths employee had informed them that the change would be coming to more stores across the nation.

It is understood that some stores have been selected for the trial due to lower customer demand for fresh meat compared to other stores.

The shopper also expressed his disappointment over the changes, saying it’s ‘the last straw’.

‘As part of Woolworths oh so glorious “makeover”, Woolworths no longer has a deli but has a “Deli Express” where you can now get you favourite meats prepackaged in 200-gram packets,’ the shopper added.

‘Oh, the flow of plastic waste just in time for Christmas. I’m making the switch. I’m not buying four packets of ham for a kilogram.’

View attachment 36085
Popular deli buys are now selling in the new ‘Deli Express’ section as pre-packaged meats. Image: Reddit

‘Had a chat with an employee, and they said Delis are now going to be a rare sight in stores.’

The customer also stated, ‘Employees advised it’s coming to a Woolworths near you soon’ and that ‘minimal purchases, if any, will now be made from here’.

‘Can’t control the portion, hardly ever on sale (plus they’ve jacked up the RRP price), can’t guarantee ham ain’t slimy, increase in single-use plastic…hard no,’ another said.

‘Supermarket deli counters are no loss. Having worked at one, I can tell you most of the products are the same as the ones on the shelves,’ one said.

‘They just come in bulk packaging then are unwrapped to sit out in the fresh air so that [customers] think they’re getting some gourmet bacon and sausage rolls,’ another replied.

‘Worked in delis all through my teens and managed them in my 20s, they are the least profitable departments in the store and generate the most food waste,’ one added.

‘Also customers have been moving away from delis for a while, in my experience a generational thing too…it was rare to see people under 40 or 50 come up to the counter,’ another wrote.

‘I’m really surprised it’s taken Woolies this long to can them as they’ve been talking about it for well over a decade,’ one said.

‘I’m not a fan of this and all the plastic waste it will produce, though,’ another added.

It seems that the plastic-packed notion is on the rise across the major supermarkets. Woolworths is just the latest retailer to join the trend, which was started by rival Coles several years ago.

Meanwhile, other commenters inquired if ‘Deli Express’ aisles will be in all Woolworths stores given the renovations at their local Woolworths, including new deli counters.

‘They just did a massive refurbishment on the Woolworths where I live, and there is still a traditional deli, although 25 per cent smaller than it previously was,’ one shared.

‘But still adequate, but definitely not as big a range as they previously had,’ someone else replied.

‘You must just be talking about your woolies in particular. My woolies is less than a year old, and the serviced deli is well and truly decked out,’ one responded.

It is understood that although WooIies has been trialling the new deli express, no employee has been impacted by it.

Woolworths continues to have fresh deli counters in the majority of its stores, specifically in more than 1,000 supermarkets nationwide, while implementing the trial.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer has voiced their unhappiness regarding a major change to the deli counter in their local store, where the service counter has been replaced with a 'Deli Express' section.
  • Popular meat and smallgoods products are now sold in pre-packaged plastic packs rather than being available for purchase by specific weight.
  • The change is reportedly being trialled in several Woolworths stores in Queensland due to lower customer demand for fresh deli counters.
  • Despite predictions that the deli counter changes will spread to more stores, Woolworths will still maintain fresh deli counters in the majority of their over 1,000 supermarkets while the trial is underway.

What do you think of this story, members? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Exe

What is the point in this, there are already plenty of prepackaged deli meats available.
I only buy from the deli bar and is about the only reason I go into Woolies or Coles. Unfortunately Aldi don't have a deli bar
I thought stores were supposed to be cutting back on plastic. And, of course, there is always an additional price paid for prepackaged goods.

It's one of their express stores, NO BODY does their weekly shopping there, they are 'convenience' stores. Can't say I've ever heard anyone complain that Aldi don't have a staffed deli section, only prepackaged smallgoods.

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085

Key Takeaways

I hate, hate pre-packaged cold meat. Coles started it here in Narrandera and I refuse to buy it. I now get my cold meat from IGA store. All that plastic and sometimes the meat is slimy. Not for me.

The same thing has just happened in our small rural town where the IGA is our only supermarket. Hopefully this will push shoppers to support the two butchers whose products have been much better all along...

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085

Key Takeaways

Some of our local Coles stores have done away with the Deli. Whoever decided that packaged meat was the way to go should be made to eat every day. When you open it, the meat is wet. You can't buy just what you want, Our refurbished Coles has a smaller deli than before - not as much choice. No fresh salads. Poorly displayed. But at least you can choose just what you want.

It's one of their express stores, NO BODY does their weekly shopping there, they are 'convenience' stores. Can't say I've ever heard anyone complain that Aldi don't have a staffed deli section, only prepackaged smallgoods.
I do my main shop at Aldi, and I guess I haven't complained, but I must admit I go to Coles deli bar for my cold meat. Definitely don't like prepacked

Reactions: Liz

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085

Key Takeaways

I usually find Coles deli counters quite busy, whereas the Woolies deli counters are devoid of customers and staff.
Coles deli’s hv a bigger better range of products. Woolies hv been getting smaller and smaller to the point of being not worth even looking through the glass.
I want to choose how much I buy of a deli item. When I want FOUR slices of ham or bacon, I want FOUR, not TEN or a Kilo of it! When I want only FIVE skinless sausages, there is a reason for it.
Woolies continues to DISCRIMINATE against single people, the elderly, dieters, and those who want a small quantity for a specific recipe.
Supermarkets are trying to force customers to buy in BULK. But few have the room to store any bulk buys, more are living as singles now after Lockdowns rocketed up divorce rates,
and even less people can afford the bulk buys!
If you do not usually eat bacon, but suddenly desire it for breakfast or a snack, buying only a few pieces is vital.
If stopped from buying small quantities, we just will not buy at all.

this is just more Woolworths Home Brand produce in order to make greater profit and also watch them undercut their rivals like PRIMO and DON etc....it also highlights Woolworths desire to have LESS INTERACTION with their shoppers by closing down the staff operated Deli section......and just like closing down so many manned check outs in order to push for more self service checkouts. The days of going into a friendly Supermarket with staff ready to assist you is long gone. They simply don't care about CUSTOMER SERVICE anymore.

Reactions: Liz and shellsone

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085

Key Takeaways

I no longer buy anything from there Deli and Dont buy very much meat from them either... I go to my local Butcher, there at least I can see the cleanliness of where they do their processing and have chat with them at the same time....

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085

Key Takeaways

I just Loathe pre packaged deli meat. I will not be shopping there, never!!!! Less staff again!!!!

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085

Key Takeaways

Wonderful. More plastic for the planet. Good on you Woolworths!

Reactions: relljube

View attachment 36084

View attachment 36085

Key Takeaways

If they can't supply the amount I ask for then I'll shop elsewhere.

But Aldi pre packaged goods are still much cheaker thst Deli served goods.

Reactions: relljube
Damn! I use Woolworths deli. I ask them to pick out a few small sized chicken drumsticks for my cat. She dislikes large ones.