Check your receipts: This checkout error could mean bonuses for shoppers

In the current economic climate, every cent matters.

Getting ripped off—even in the most minuscule amounts—could mean big trouble, especially for those on a tight budget.

A shopper’s attention to detail not only saved them from being overcharged but also led to a surprising bonus.

The shopper’s experience began with purchasing kangaroo steaks from Woolworths, marked at $13.07.

However, upon inspecting the receipt, they noticed a discrepancy—the steaks had a 72-cent overcharge, costing $13.79.

While this might seem trivial to some, it’s a reminder that minor errors can add up over time, especially when you’re on a fixed income or budgeting carefully.

‘Price clearly shown on kangaroo steaks as $13.07… yet they kept scanning at $13.79!’ the shopper exclaimed.

‘I had a team discount voucher and it was still more expensive than the price on the package.’

The experience led the shopper to remind others to ‘check your dockets’.

compressed-woolworths 2.jpeg
A shopper took to social media to express their frustration about the sudden price change of kangaroo steaks during checkout, reminding shoppers to check their receipts. Image Credit: Reddit/janenkm

The story took a turn for the better when the shopper informed a staff member about the error.

Thanks to the Scanning Code of Practice, which Woolworths has voluntarily agreed to, the customer was entitled to receive the item for free.

This policy safeguards shoppers—if an item scans at a higher price than advertised, the customer can claim that item for free.

According to one shopper, it’s best to address the issue after paying.

‘You take it to the help desk and get it for free. Do not alert staff before paying because they will just adjust the price,’ they wrote.

This strategy ensures you benefit from the scanning code rather than simply receive a price adjustment.

However, under this policy, if multiple identical items sell for a higher price, only the first item will be free of charge. Other items will sell at the correct or lower cost.

Receipt errors are more common than we think.

Another shopper was overcharged for ham, nearly paying four times the expected price.

Woolworths acknowledged such incidents and encouraged customers to seek refunds under the policy.

Supermarkets Coles and ALDI have also agreed upon the Scanning Code of Practice, while IGA stores may vary per branch.

So, next time you’re at Woolworths or any supermarket, check your receipt before leaving the store.

You might find that an error in your favour could lead to a pleasant surprise at the customer service desk.

These policies are in place to protect consumers, so don’t hesitate to use them to your advantage.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer was overcharged after checking out kangaroo steaks, highlighting the importance of checking receipts.
  • After reporting the error, the shopper got the items for free thanks to the Scanning Code of Practice.
  • Another shopper shared their mishap of buying overpriced ham, with Woolworths recognising the price error.
  • Major supermarkets have all committed to the voluntary Scanning Code of Practice, which can lead to free items.
Have you ever spotted an error on your receipt while shopping? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
Omg here we go again yet ANOTHER snowflake trying to get justification from strangers on social media because of a mistake .whoopy doo....if you are perfect!!! When the hell are these idiots going to wake up and STOP SEEKING JUSTIFICATION FOR THEIR HURT FEELINGS...

Reactions: AlanQ
My local Woolies are very good at adhering to the scanning policy however shoppers do need to be diligent with checking prices as they're scanned. Yesterday I scored free crumpets as they were ticketed at $3 & scanned at $4.40. Winning!!!

Omg here we go again yet ANOTHER snowflake trying to get justification from strangers on social media because of a mistake .whoopy doo....if you are perfect!!! When the hell are these idiots going to wake up and STOP SEEKING JUSTIFICATION FOR THEIR HURT FEELINGS...
Wow. Didn't read any of that in the article. Are you yelling about the correct story ?

Reactions: Lotsabubbles
I always check my docket, everywhere. Almost every week there will be an incorrect scan. And I don't care if it's only 10c, it's my money not theirs. Bunnings and BCF have been wrong before too, although they'll just correct the amounts and give the difference, which is fine.

thanks to the Scanning Code of Practice I have had many items for free, an example when bread went up last year they didn't change the price tag on the shelf so I just kept paying for it and then going to the help desk point out the issue recieve a refund and walk out with my free bread several times eventually someone changed the shelf tag, another is meat on special where the sticker price is showing the normal price, in all cases to get it for free you must pay first and take your reciept to the help desk

Reactions: janoliveri
This week I went to Woolies for an item that I regularly buy. It was advertised in their specials catalogue at $1.40. However in their store it displayed as on special for $1.50. To me that’s false advertising. I pointed this out to the person on the desk who told me that she would check it so off she went, came back and said that the $1.40 items were at the bottom of the rack. So off I went to check for myself and sure enough she had lied to me and there was nothing of the sort on the bottom shelf. Spoke to a different person who sorted it out correctly. I got one for free and the second one for the lower price. I went back to Woolies two days later and had they fixed the problem…. NO! So they went on to charge customers the inflated price. This to me illustrates that Woolies now have a policy of ripping people off wherever they can, as if they always didn’t. Hah!

Reactions: Natale
Today happened to me at Coles Kelmscott. Meat department - corned beef advertised as special $8 per kg, but on the price label still had $11 kg. Self checkout called attendant over and advised her scanned at the original price and required item free as per their scanning policy. She was just going to adjust the price and I complained and she grabbed a supervisor that said CORRECT - FREE item as it scanned at the normal price and NOT the advertised special price. This has happened before. Be careful also, price items on shelf are sometimes for a diffferent product and customers grab the item they think is the cheaper/special price and it refers to a different item. ALWAYS check your dockets are correct before you leave the store [or shopping centre]

I have been overcharged many times by both Coles and Woolworths. The last two times was with Woolworths. Turkey was priced as $16.80 but appeared as $18.00 0n the receipt. Reported it and was refunded The $18.00. A couple of weeks later I bought same item still @ $16.80 but again charged $18.00. I reported it again and was refunded the $18.00. Makes you wonder whether it's done deliberately, so many people don't take their receipts and would never know that they have been overcharged. People should make sure that they take their receipt and check it. Many items that are supposed to be on special don't have the price reduced even late in the discount period.

Reactions: oldsalt