Woolworths overcharging incident prompts receipt warning

A recent incident involving a shopper's mum and a purchase at Woolworths has put a stronger emphasis on double-checking receipts.

The shopper’s daughter shared her story in an online post, shedding light on a situation that could befall anyone.

‘My mum grabbed a few things from Woolworths last Tuesday, 27 Feb, and it looks like the ham she bought scanned at the per-kilo price ($36.00) rather than the price for the 256g she actually bought ($9.22),’ she recalled.

reddit receipt.jpg
The receipt shows the shopper being billed almost quadruple the original price. Image Credit: Reddit

She further questioned how such a mistake could have occurred, speculating whether it was a glitch in the checkout system or a manual override by the cashier.

'I can’t see how this isn’t an issue with their checkout system unless the cashier manually overrode the price? She [Mum] usually doesn’t check the receipts as well, so this was a bit of a lucky find!'

Although the precise reason remained unknown, one commented that the cashier might have inadvertently input the incorrect numbers when manually entering the item.

‘Those QR-looking labels are a pain in the a***. Whoever wrapped it left a huge crease in the barcode which would mean the cashier had to type the item number in manually.’

The person further explained the human error, saying, ‘They were definitely not paying attention properly, usually a cashier should notice such a large difference. They also haven’t entered the price as weight but instead, as suspected, the total unit price.’

Woolworths acknowledged the incident and shared that the matter was being looked into.

The supermarket chain considered it an isolated event, urging the overcharged customer to get in touch for a refund in line with their price-scan policy.

How can you get a refund if you are in the same situation?

Under Woolworths’ refund price-scan policy, customers are entitled to the product for free when an item scans at a price higher than its displayed in-store price.

All scannable products at Woolies are included, even those with barcodes, Price Look Up numbers, and marked-down sale items.

The recent mix-up is not the first time Woolworths has been called out over billing errors.

Earlier this year, a Brisbane customer pointed out a discrepancy at a self-serve checkout involving a bundle of mangoes.

What should have been a $15.70 bill flashed as $17.90 on the self-serve checkout screen. Upon notification, Woolworths accepted the error, attributing it to a 'technical glitch'.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper's mother was overcharged due to a pricing error at checkout.
  • The receipt showed that the ham was scanned at the per-kilo price instead of the actual weight, nearly quadrupling the cost.
  • Woolworths is investigating the issue but states it seems to be an isolated incident, and the customer has been urged to reach out for a refund.
  • Woolworths has a price-scan policy where if an item scans at a higher price than the ticketed price, the customer is entitled to receive that item free.

Dear members, have you ever experienced a similar error on your receipts? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Happen to me few times in Coles and Woolworths. Price of item was marked down on the shelf. However ,normal price was charged at the counter. I question that and wonder ,how many customers paid the full price.

Going out on a limb here...who is perfect?? Seriously people and machines make mistakes...also the customer should have queried the receipt straight away..I add up roughly in my head what it's going to cost..surely she would have noticed a discrepancy..and WHY didn't they just take it back to the store??🤔🤔🤔

When you scan a QR code & it doesn't register you have to input an 18 digit code then the price. Obviously the cashier inputted the incorrect price. Human error. You would think the customer would have queried the total price seeing as it was for only for 9 items.

When my woolies first opened i used to always check my dockets. I was overcharged quite often. Nowadays the receipte are electronic and although I do check them sometimes and find the odd error, I have decided I am reverting back to paper receipts because once you are home and check e-receipts, find an error, you have to then go back to the store at some stage with the product. If the product is needed for dinner that night.. well bad luck...you have to return it straight away. Inconvenient.

Reactions: maherdj
Woolworths "Refund Price-Scan Policy"
The few occasions I have pointed out a discrepency in pricing at a check-out, to be told that this "NO Longer Applies" is embarrasing.
It certainly does apply. But best to finish the shop and pay then take to service desk. They'll sort it out.

Reactions: maherdj and Macarj
They always say it's an isolated event. Seems to be a lot of them lately. WW dribbles more BS than my neighbour, something I never thought possible.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: maherdj and LeahI
Happen to me few times in Coles and Woolworths. Price of item was marked down on the shelf. However ,normal price was charged at the counter. I question that and wonder ,how many customers paid the full price.
Just make sure the original barcode isn't being scanned instead...should have a sticker over it when it is marked down! I always cover the original barcode when I scan marked down goods.

The few occasions I have pointed out a discrepency in pricing at a check-out, to be told that this "NO Longer Applies" is embarrasing.
It happens to me too. So I just said “ take it back then”

Yes always check your receipt BEFORE leaving the Store.
2 weeks ago I was doing my shopping and had purchased my weeks supply and stepped out of the check and was reviewing my receipt when I noticed a charge for over $15 for 3 small capsicum, so I headed to the return counter and asked her to check, the capsicum was priced a $10 ... a kg. This did not look like it was over 1.5 kg.
I received my money back and free capsicum.
SO PLEASE CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS
I also was charged old priced instead of the DROP DOWN price as was on the ticket at the item on shelve, I also got my money back and free Bread Flour.
And PLEASE that you have received the special, and that the special price is for the week NOT last week. As sometime they leave the tag still on the shelf, you can still get your money back if that has happened to you, and free item.

Reactions: maherdj
I always sit down outside the supermarket and check my bill. Quite often I find something not priced correctly and I am charged the full price when the shelf price says it's on sale and the lower price is not shown on the bill. Then it's back to the cashier. However, you have to be careful with shelf prices - I got caught with air freshener being on sale but it was only one variety of perfume, not all the other perfumes of the same brand name. Very tricky.

It applies to any scannable product $30 and under, excluding liquor and tobacco products. Woolworths definitely are still in the scheme, ask to speak with the manage next time, assert yourself.