Centrelink's outrageous wait times exposed as Senators grill bosses

Many seniors rely on Centrelink for vital government services and payments. But recently, there has been growing concern over outrageously long wait times that seniors face when trying to contact Centrelink by phone or have their claims processed.

Despite Centrelink receiving fewer calls this year, the agency's performance in answering calls and processing claims has 'deteriorated'.

Only 60 per cent of calls are being answered within 15 minutes, with 9 million calls annually met with a voicemail asking callers to try again later due to high demand.

In July and August of this year, the agency received a total of 8 million calls. Of these, 2.8 million calls resulted in a congestion message, indicating the call queue was full. Among these calls, 1.8 million were successfully answered by a representative, while 800,000 were terminated by the customers themselves.

To those unfamiliar, when call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature. Here, an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.

This issue was brought to light during recent Senate hearings, where Centrelink bosses failed to answer Senators' tough questions regarding the agency's declining service standards.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.55.00 AM.png
Services Australia officials were grilled during a Senate Estimates hearing as shocking wait times for Centrelink customers were revealed. Credit: Shutterstock.

Senators made no attempt to hide their disbelief during the hearings over the agency's lack of improvement.

'Even with that decrease in the number of calls, your performance on serving those calls has declined?' Senator Janet Rice asked pointedly.

'Is there anything that's improved?'

Chris Birrer, the Chief Executive of Services Australia, acknowledged that the current situation fell short of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).

He explained, 'We would like to have better customer service performance in a number of measures, and we've discussed some this morning. We're working to be as efficient and as disciplined as we can within the resources that we have.'

He also noted that the period between July and August tends to be busier due to the tax season, which results in a higher volume of claims.

Birrer also attributed the decline in call volume to increased usage of the myGov app, as well as a decrease in pandemic and natural disaster-related inquiries.

Just a few months ago, we reported that Centrelink's workforce struggled to keep up with demand as millions of Aussies grappled with the cost-of-living crisis.

Recent figures reveal that the average wait time for all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has 'skyrocketed' from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

However, Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

'Centrelink saying there is a 30-minute wait. Haha! It's actually 3-4 hours and won't help anyone,' posted one mum.

She added: 'No one is qualified! Have been waiting for help for eight weeks. Paid taxes all our lives. This system is broken.'

Even members here at the SDC can't help but air out their frustrations with Centrelink's increasingly long wait times.

'I don't know where 28 minutes came from. I was waiting 65 minutes last week,' said member @Suzanne rose, adding: 'The worst thing is waiting over an hour and then it disconnects.'

Member @MaggieMay1948 also commented, 'I've waited around 1.5 hours more times than I can remember. 20 mins would be a bonus.'

'Plus, I've ended up several times with someone who couldn't help me (inexperienced? Lack of training?) and had to be transferred and start the whole waiting game again! Centrelink is horrendous.'

Member @Southmelbswans also ranted, 'Wow, 20 minutes. I should be so lucky! Waited all day until the lights were turned off and the phone disconnected!'

Key Takeaways

• Top officials from Services Australia, which oversees Centrelink, have failed to explain why wait times have increased despite a reduction in the number of calls to the agency.
  • Roughly 60 per cent of calls to the agency are currently being answered within 15 minutes, with about 9 million calls per year directed to a non-human 'congestion' voicemail message.
  • When call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature, where an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.
  • Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

We hope this situation will improve soon for everyone.

Members, have you ever had to endure frustratingly long waiting times just to speak with a Centrelink representative? How did that situation play out for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Many seniors rely on Centrelink for vital government services and payments. But recently, there has been growing concern over outrageously long wait times that seniors face when trying to contact Centrelink by phone or have their claims processed.

Despite Centrelink receiving fewer calls this year, the agency's performance in answering calls and processing claims has 'deteriorated'.

Only 60 per cent of calls are being answered within 15 minutes, with 9 million calls annually met with a voicemail asking callers to try again later due to high demand.

In July and August of this year, the agency received a total of 8 million calls. Of these, 2.8 million calls resulted in a congestion message, indicating the call queue was full. Among these calls, 1.8 million were successfully answered by a representative, while 800,000 were terminated by the customers themselves.

To those unfamiliar, when call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature. Here, an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.

This issue was brought to light during recent Senate hearings, where Centrelink bosses failed to answer Senators' tough questions regarding the agency's declining service standards.

View attachment 33077
Services Australia officials were grilled during a Senate Estimates hearing as shocking wait times for Centrelink customers were revealed. Credit: Shutterstock.

Senators made no attempt to hide their disbelief during the hearings over the agency's lack of improvement.

'Even with that decrease in the number of calls, your performance on serving those calls has declined?' Senator Janet Rice asked pointedly.

Chris Birrer, the Chief Executive of Services Australia, acknowledged that the current situation fell short of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).

He explained, 'We would like to have better customer service performance in a number of measures, and we've discussed some this morning. We're working to be as efficient and as disciplined as we can within the resources that we have.'

He also noted that the period between July and August tends to be busier due to the tax season, which results in a higher volume of claims.

Birrer also attributed the decline in call volume to increased usage of the myGov app, as well as a decrease in pandemic and natural disaster-related inquiries.

Just a few months ago, we reported that Centrelink's workforce struggled to keep up with demand as millions of Aussies grappled with the cost-of-living crisis.

Recent figures reveal that the average wait time for all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has 'skyrocketed' from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

However, Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

'Centrelink saying there is a 30-minute wait. Haha! It's actually 3-4 hours and won't help anyone,' posted one mum.

She added: 'No one is qualified! Have been waiting for help for eight weeks. Paid taxes all our lives. This system is broken.'

Even members here at the SDC can't help but air out their frustrations with Centrelink's increasingly long wait times.

'I don't know where 28 minutes came from. I was waiting 65 minutes last week,' said member @Suzanne rose, adding: 'The worst thing is waiting over an hour and then it disconnects.'

Member @MaggieMay1948 also commented, 'I've waited around 1.5 hours more times than I can remember. 20 mins would be a bonus.'

'Plus, I've ended up several times with someone who couldn't help me (inexperienced? Lack of training?) and had to be transferred and start the whole waiting game again! Centrelink is horrendous.'

Member @Southmelbswans also ranted, 'Wow, 20 minutes. I should be so lucky! Waited all day until the lights were turned off and the phone disconnected!'

Key Takeaways

• Top officials from Services Australia, which oversees Centrelink, have failed to explain why wait times have increased despite a reduction in the number of calls to the agency.
  • Roughly 60 per cent of calls to the agency are currently being answered within 15 minutes, with about 9 million calls per year directed to a non-human 'congestion' voicemail message.
  • When call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature, where an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.
  • Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

Members, have you ever had to endure frustratingly long waiting times just to speak with a Centrelink representative? How did that situation play out for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below!
I put in for the age pension in April this year, I didnt hear from them until August where they asked for more information.
The information they wanted, I had already provided and now it's going into November next week and I have not heard anything. My husband who is not age pension age is out of work so we have been living off our savings which is dwindling away.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

I tried to call to get an appointment to visit and take in documents as we’d changed our car. Gave up waiting after 30 minutes and submitted everything online through myGov. That was back in May and they still haven’t looked at it. It’s disgraceful. Other businesses wouldn’t survive if they treated customers like this. And taxpayers are the ones paying their wages

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

I have tried to contact Centrelink 7 times in the last two weeks and have had my calls disconnected. The worst been after 140 minutes. The reason I have been trying to contact them is because I have been waiting 4 and a half months for my age pension to be processed.

This is a so true in the past 2 weeks my house mate and I had to return to Centrelink two days in a row we just wanted to let them know that we had changed address and brought a house between us due to cost of houses now. So we had an appointment for the next day when we arrived the female on the check in desk was so rude but luckily we had a lovely lady who took down all our details and asked the are you a couple no just great friends, have you been previously married to each other, do you have children gether the answer was again no do these people not listen we went in and stated that we were friends who went halves in a house. Then we went to the council no problem there then off to Unitywater we showed our pension card so we could get the discount on our water bills but no you need your pension card with your current address on it took 3 trips to finally get the rebate. I am never moving again as I don't think my mind could take it.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

The last time I was in a Centrelink office, the way the %%nt spoke to me should consider himself very lucky that he didn't end up with a broken jaw, It was only my better half and I only assume his office senior that said something about treating people with respect saved the both of us!!. Him for hospital visit and me from a cell!! 😉😉

Being disabled doesn't allow me to go to their office I am sick of waiting so long on the phone and then disconnected as far as I'm concerned the government simply doesn't care and give me the impression that being aged and on a pension they seem to think we have nothing better to do than sit and wait, they don't care or even want to know that it takes us so much longer to get around. When I eventually received a human to speak with i asked to speak with her supervisor
You should be dealing directly with you local federal member. It is amazing how few people make these overpaid (elected) public servant do what they are elected to do. The electoral staff have a direct number that they can use and amazing how much quicker these bureaucratic processes seem to disappear.

Perhaps they should be made to wear uniforms to and from work and therefore be ridiculed by the public inpublic
When i worked in the ATO we were asked whether we wanted uniforms, many knew that they would be mocked in the Streets and the idea was laid to rest
If this were made compulsory perhaps the elderly would receive better communication with the now stupid staff who work there?
great to hear how proud the well paid staff are to work for the ATO.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

I have had many ‘over an hour ‘ long on hold calls to Centrelin and most were cut off!
I simply gave up phoning as the stress of the lack of support was too much for me. The system has been broken for many years, since Morrison got into power!!! Deliberate lack of support I felt by his government.
I have nothing to do with them if I can help it and refuse to have My Gov account!
If I need help I book an appointment and see someone face to face.
At 70 years of age with cancer… who needs this appalling lack of support in a country that is capable of doing so much more for its people! I’m thoroughly disgusted, mistrustful and down right fed up with the treatment we get! Time for a huge change in people care.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

“Services” Australia (service is a contradiction in terms) sent me a rental assistance letter to update my details. Went online and it wouldn’t let me update. Visited an office in person and the man there couldn’t update either. Had to ring My Aged Care because they hadn’t updated my details, went back online and updated my rental amount. Got a letter yesterday that seeing that I hadn’t replied to their original letter, they were cancelling my rent assistance! Waiting time when I rang was 85 minutes! Seriously- what happened to customer service and kpi’s? I wrote to my a local Member but nothing will change.

Everyone should submit a complaint about “Services” Australia (Centrelink’s) poor service to their Federal Member of Parliament. They are the ones we voted for - to fix this sort of thing.

Centrelink, applied for the age pension August 4th was informed that expected estimated wait time was September 22nd.
47 days, come Monday 30th October it will be 85days. I'm 74 years young, started working January 1964 retired 22nd June 2023
I keep trying to phone Centrelink but cannot get through because they know my number and end the call "all our operators are busy right now, GOODBYE "
I'm paying full registration fees for my vehicle and medical supplies and draining my savings.
Tommy 1948

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

I have waited nearly 2hrs on line. Then decided to go into the office only to be told to phone or go online. I live in the country and reception comes and goes all the time. I refused and got to speak to someone. They gave me a sheet of paper, fill this out and email it in. I filled it out in the office, used their computers and sent the paperwork by email. 8 weeks later my payments were stopped. Again go into the office. They told me there is no report of the paperwork I completed. I gave them the receipt number, time and day it was lodged. Told them I emailed it in their office.. There is no record they said even with proof. I asked to speak to the person in charge. They are on their break. I waited 1hr. Then they called me back up and said my payments were sorted. 2 months later I had to go through it all again. Centrelink are a Joke. I am 61yrs old, been out of work for a few years because of a bad back injury and am a volunteer fire fighter.

As an admin in a facebook help group for Services Aust (not an official group) I regularly see people that have been trying for days to get through. Some have been on hold for 6 to 7 hours and then the call drops out. I have been trying all this week and cannot get through. Can't even get passed the tossed off message. It's a disgrace that these times have not been resolved from th previous govt failure to act and now this govt is doing absolutely nothing about it. They need to sack management and get some proper staff at the top and employ more staff. Even trying at 8.00am when the offices open rarely works now. the figures quoted in the report from the senator is so far away from the truth..................
One of the biggest things they need to do is actually train their staff properly. People have no idea how to train others in the PS and it shows. There should be a mandatory training process of say 2 weeks minimum. I have gone to training for some places for 3 weeks. Other industries (private) have done this for decades and decades, why aren't they?

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

There are only outrageous wait times if you insist on holding and waiting for the next operator to become available. Centrelink has a call back facility, where you just leave your number, and they will ring you back while maintaining your place in the queue. It doesn't really cut down on the wait, but at least you can hang up the phone and get on with what you were doing.

outrageous wait times​

I have waited nearly 2hrs on line. Then decided to go into the office only to be told to phone or go online. I live in the country and reception comes and goes all the time. I refused and got to speak to someone. They gave me a sheet of paper, fill this out and email it in. I filled it out in the office, used their computers and sent the paperwork by email. 8 weeks later my payments were stopped. Again go into the office. They told me there is no report of the paperwork I completed. I gave them the receipt number, time and day it was lodged. Told them I emailed it in their office.. There is no record they said even with proof. I asked to speak to the person in charge. They are on their break. I waited 1hr. Then they called me back up and said my payments were sorted. 2 months later I had to go through it all again. Centrelink are a Joke. I am 61yrs old, been out of work for a few years because of a bad back injury and am a volunteer fire fighter.
There is no need ever, to wait 2 hours. Just use the call back facility that Centrelink provide

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

That is typically how bureaucracy works. And to top it all off, they are constantly pushing all of us to digital and apps. They are forcing us to talk to computers where they list you option 1 , the two then three and so forth and when you decide to push onto one number it all starts all over again listing you another long list of options in the hope that you hang up. Bloody disgusting.

Does
Being disabled doesn't allow me to go to their office I am sick of waiting so long on the phone and then disconnected as far as I'm concerned the government simply doesn't care and give me the impression that being aged and on a pension they seem to think we have nothing better to do than sit and wait, they don't care or even want to know that it takes us so much longer to get around. When I eventually received a human to speak with i asked to speak with her supervisor
Does anyone here ever given a thought that the majority of these people working with centrelink might just be working from home and in their pijamas still.?
I have noticed myself when I ring somewhere (Not Centrelink) that you have someone answering the phone (If you are lucky) but then put through to someone else and wait there for hours for someone to answer. If you ask that person if he/she is working from home most of the time they reply yes they are especially when they can't give you an asnwer there and then. One day I rang Telstra adn after wating for along time I managed to gte a woman to answer but you could tell that she wasn't there 100% with her thoughts and I could hear the rooster singing out in the background and when I asked her if she was working form home of if she had chooks in the office with her, she hung up on me.
As for the bosses of those departments, (That is If they are not working from home themselves), To begin with make them all to go back to the office where they will increase their efficiency.
These people are paid by Taxpayers dollars to go to the office not working from home where their efficiency be less than 30 or 40%.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

I think we need to take into consideration the fact that in the last 10 years, Centrelink has been stripped of experienced staff by the Liberal governments.
I have never been answered in 20 minutes. on all my calls to any of the Australian service numbers. wait time are always in the hours time frame & yes nearly always the call has been disconnected.
Blame the lack of funding & reduced staff levels, not the Service.