Centrelink's outrageous wait times exposed as Senators grill bosses

Many seniors rely on Centrelink for vital government services and payments. But recently, there has been growing concern over outrageously long wait times that seniors face when trying to contact Centrelink by phone or have their claims processed.

Despite Centrelink receiving fewer calls this year, the agency's performance in answering calls and processing claims has 'deteriorated'.

Only 60 per cent of calls are being answered within 15 minutes, with 9 million calls annually met with a voicemail asking callers to try again later due to high demand.

In July and August of this year, the agency received a total of 8 million calls. Of these, 2.8 million calls resulted in a congestion message, indicating the call queue was full. Among these calls, 1.8 million were successfully answered by a representative, while 800,000 were terminated by the customers themselves.

To those unfamiliar, when call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature. Here, an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.

This issue was brought to light during recent Senate hearings, where Centrelink bosses failed to answer Senators' tough questions regarding the agency's declining service standards.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.55.00 AM.png
Services Australia officials were grilled during a Senate Estimates hearing as shocking wait times for Centrelink customers were revealed. Credit: Shutterstock.

Senators made no attempt to hide their disbelief during the hearings over the agency's lack of improvement.

'Even with that decrease in the number of calls, your performance on serving those calls has declined?' Senator Janet Rice asked pointedly.

'Is there anything that's improved?'

Chris Birrer, the Chief Executive of Services Australia, acknowledged that the current situation fell short of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).

He explained, 'We would like to have better customer service performance in a number of measures, and we've discussed some this morning. We're working to be as efficient and as disciplined as we can within the resources that we have.'

He also noted that the period between July and August tends to be busier due to the tax season, which results in a higher volume of claims.

Birrer also attributed the decline in call volume to increased usage of the myGov app, as well as a decrease in pandemic and natural disaster-related inquiries.

Just a few months ago, we reported that Centrelink's workforce struggled to keep up with demand as millions of Aussies grappled with the cost-of-living crisis.

Recent figures reveal that the average wait time for all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has 'skyrocketed' from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

However, Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

'Centrelink saying there is a 30-minute wait. Haha! It's actually 3-4 hours and won't help anyone,' posted one mum.

She added: 'No one is qualified! Have been waiting for help for eight weeks. Paid taxes all our lives. This system is broken.'

Even members here at the SDC can't help but air out their frustrations with Centrelink's increasingly long wait times.

'I don't know where 28 minutes came from. I was waiting 65 minutes last week,' said member @Suzanne rose, adding: 'The worst thing is waiting over an hour and then it disconnects.'

Member @MaggieMay1948 also commented, 'I've waited around 1.5 hours more times than I can remember. 20 mins would be a bonus.'

'Plus, I've ended up several times with someone who couldn't help me (inexperienced? Lack of training?) and had to be transferred and start the whole waiting game again! Centrelink is horrendous.'

Member @Southmelbswans also ranted, 'Wow, 20 minutes. I should be so lucky! Waited all day until the lights were turned off and the phone disconnected!'

Key Takeaways

• Top officials from Services Australia, which oversees Centrelink, have failed to explain why wait times have increased despite a reduction in the number of calls to the agency.
  • Roughly 60 per cent of calls to the agency are currently being answered within 15 minutes, with about 9 million calls per year directed to a non-human 'congestion' voicemail message.
  • When call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature, where an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.
  • Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

We hope this situation will improve soon for everyone.

Members, have you ever had to endure frustratingly long waiting times just to speak with a Centrelink representative? How did that situation play out for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
The one thing, and it's the only thing, i'm grateful for, is that Centrelink isn't an overseas call center, I HATE those places with a passion.
My internet company which is also my mobile phone company call centres are based overseas.
If I have to contact them I do it strictly by email or I go to their Facebook page and send them a message, that, along with my banks Facebook page get my problems sorted within hours.
I'm afraid I find it very hard to understand overseas call centre folks, some of their accents are just to heavy for me!
I’m in victoria and my calls go to the age care line in Newcastle as they don’t have one in victoria so they told me.🙀also Centrelink call centres here don’t open until 9.00 on the dot.😁

Reactions: deni67