Centrelink's outrageous wait times exposed as Senators grill bosses

Many seniors rely on Centrelink for vital government services and payments. But recently, there has been growing concern over outrageously long wait times that seniors face when trying to contact Centrelink by phone or have their claims processed.

Despite Centrelink receiving fewer calls this year, the agency's performance in answering calls and processing claims has 'deteriorated'.

Only 60 per cent of calls are being answered within 15 minutes, with 9 million calls annually met with a voicemail asking callers to try again later due to high demand.

In July and August of this year, the agency received a total of 8 million calls. Of these, 2.8 million calls resulted in a congestion message, indicating the call queue was full. Among these calls, 1.8 million were successfully answered by a representative, while 800,000 were terminated by the customers themselves.

To those unfamiliar, when call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature. Here, an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.

This issue was brought to light during recent Senate hearings, where Centrelink bosses failed to answer Senators' tough questions regarding the agency's declining service standards.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.55.00 AM.png
Services Australia officials were grilled during a Senate Estimates hearing as shocking wait times for Centrelink customers were revealed. Credit: Shutterstock.

Senators made no attempt to hide their disbelief during the hearings over the agency's lack of improvement.

'Even with that decrease in the number of calls, your performance on serving those calls has declined?' Senator Janet Rice asked pointedly.

'Is there anything that's improved?'

Chris Birrer, the Chief Executive of Services Australia, acknowledged that the current situation fell short of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).

He explained, 'We would like to have better customer service performance in a number of measures, and we've discussed some this morning. We're working to be as efficient and as disciplined as we can within the resources that we have.'

He also noted that the period between July and August tends to be busier due to the tax season, which results in a higher volume of claims.

Birrer also attributed the decline in call volume to increased usage of the myGov app, as well as a decrease in pandemic and natural disaster-related inquiries.

Just a few months ago, we reported that Centrelink's workforce struggled to keep up with demand as millions of Aussies grappled with the cost-of-living crisis.

Recent figures reveal that the average wait time for all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has 'skyrocketed' from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

However, Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

'Centrelink saying there is a 30-minute wait. Haha! It's actually 3-4 hours and won't help anyone,' posted one mum.

She added: 'No one is qualified! Have been waiting for help for eight weeks. Paid taxes all our lives. This system is broken.'

Even members here at the SDC can't help but air out their frustrations with Centrelink's increasingly long wait times.

'I don't know where 28 minutes came from. I was waiting 65 minutes last week,' said member @Suzanne rose, adding: 'The worst thing is waiting over an hour and then it disconnects.'

Member @MaggieMay1948 also commented, 'I've waited around 1.5 hours more times than I can remember. 20 mins would be a bonus.'

'Plus, I've ended up several times with someone who couldn't help me (inexperienced? Lack of training?) and had to be transferred and start the whole waiting game again! Centrelink is horrendous.'

Member @Southmelbswans also ranted, 'Wow, 20 minutes. I should be so lucky! Waited all day until the lights were turned off and the phone disconnected!'

Key Takeaways

• Top officials from Services Australia, which oversees Centrelink, have failed to explain why wait times have increased despite a reduction in the number of calls to the agency.
  • Roughly 60 per cent of calls to the agency are currently being answered within 15 minutes, with about 9 million calls per year directed to a non-human 'congestion' voicemail message.
  • When call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature, where an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.
  • Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

We hope this situation will improve soon for everyone.

Members, have you ever had to endure frustratingly long waiting times just to speak with a Centrelink representative? How did that situation play out for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
So many people impacted by Centrelink wait times and 'policies'. Staff at my local office have been quite good in the past. But getting to see them in the first place? Haha!
Getting my pension was not a complete nightmare. Even though the advise was to apply early, which I did, it still took another 3 months from my eligible date.
This year I applied for a part parenting payment (Tax Benefit I think it's called). (I was looking after a grandchild full time.) I waited about 6 weeks, and was told to re-apply. My original application was lost. I re-applied. I waited another 6 weeks. I asked when the payments might be approved. Oh, I needed to apply again, because I hadn't answered some questions. Yes, I did answer those questions, please look at the completed form. Sorry, we need to see your husband's naturalisation papers. He had already taken them in and had them copied 3 months ago. Each little setback needed me or hubby to wait in the local office, first to make an appointment, and then coming back to actually talk with someone. It was over 6 months before the payment was finally approved.

Reactions: Gsr
I ve had so many horrendous waiting times only for inexperienced people to finally answer the phone, couldnt help me so tried to put me on hold to discuss with their superior, only to then cut me off! If I would write everything down here I would end up soooo frustrated and angry, plus it would take me all day/night, so I rather wish everybody good luck who needs to deal with them (in my case every 2 weeks to report my income, as stupid me is still working at 72!

When I first retired it took 9 months for my pension to be sorted out. I had to complete and return innumerable forms, just because I had a modest Superannuation Fund. The calculations were very simple and anyone who was able to look at the facts objectively could have sorted it out in 30 minutes. Eventually I got a phone call from a very nice lady who told me they had finished their review and it was all sorted. Sure enough, I got my first pension payment within 2 weeks. That was great, but why did it take 9 months? I don't think it's entirely fair to blame Centrelink's staff. They seem to mean well but are incredibly overworked. The question we should be asking is: "Who profited from the privatisation?"
Did you get back pay for those nine months?

I gave up waiting for someone to answer my call at Centrelink Aged Pension then being told to ring back latter.
My only option ended up being to lodge a complaint in relation to our Income & Assets being updated via myGov yet Centrelink after 4 months still had not updated things there end.
After I lodged a complaint it only took one week to be advised via the myGov inbox that we would be getting back pay and our fortnightly Aged Pension will drop by $2. Of course since June our finances have dropped so I had to upload new information. This time if I don't see any update I'll have no option but to put in a complaint again.

Reactions: Gsr and Ezzy
What I have learnt about Centrelink since it was foisted on us is that it is a well-run failure designed to on obfuscate and prevent government from taking up its social responsibilities to the aged, the infirm and the unemployed. Most modern organisations pretending to be service providers keep one waiting on the telephone for far too long just to answer a simple question. Last time that happened with one so-called "service provider" I laid a complaint with the appropriate Ombudsman, who told them to pull finger and answer my questions within 4 days by calling me on the telephone after they had sorted out the issue; it was one that could have been resolved in a few minutes had someone been employed to pick up the "provider's" telephone within a couple of minutes of my call rather than keeping me waiting for more than one hour listening to idiot music interspersed with an automated, "We value your call etc".

The world has certainly not improved with modernity; and no, I didn't buy my computer for the benefit of reading "service providers'" websites. That is what my landline is for , so that I can talk to a human being about any issue provided by the "service provider". Sorry (hell that I am!) to be so "old-fashioned". Being old, I remember a more courteous and helpful world.
Having the choice of working for NDIA (the agency for NDIS), the ATO or Centrelink. I opted for NDIA due to my "expertise" in disabilities. I'm glad I did since all the customer service officers of the other two agencies said their departments were a total shitfight. And at NDIA, I was amazed at the comment "Geez that was quick" in response to the on hold time. Usually five minutes max, because on your dual screens, it tells you how long the customer has been on hold.

Not only is precious time wasted while waiting on the phone for someone to answer when calling Centrelink & other companies but too is money.

l am told most people now do not have a home phone line for normal calls & these are now via a mobile. Each of us who has a mobile phone also have a phone plan & all this hanging on the phone waiting for someone to answer our call is burning up the precious units bought from a Telephone Company.

Any person using a mobile phone for a call to Centrelink or other company & waits for 1 hour or more may wish to check to see how much of their allowance has just been burned up while on hold.

In these situations the phone companies are the winners & we, the caller's the big losers X 2 . (minimum).

Reactions: Gsr and TheBear
I gave up waiting for someone to answer my call at Centrelink Aged Pension then being told to ring back latter.
My only option ended up being to lodge a complaint in relation to our Income & Assets being updated via myGov yet Centrelink after 4 months still had not updated things there end.
After I lodged a complaint it only took one week to be advised via the myGov inbox that we would be getting back pay and our fortnightly Aged Pension will drop by $2. Of course since June our finances have dropped so I had to upload new information. This time if I don't see any update I'll have no option but to put in a complaint again.
Not good enough is it?

Many seniors rely on Centrelink for vital government services and payments. But recently, there has been growing concern over outrageously long wait times that seniors face when trying to contact Centrelink by phone or have their claims processed.

Despite Centrelink receiving fewer calls this year, the agency's performance in answering calls and processing claims has 'deteriorated'.

Only 60 per cent of calls are being answered within 15 minutes, with 9 million calls annually met with a voicemail asking callers to try again later due to high demand.

In July and August of this year, the agency received a total of 8 million calls. Of these, 2.8 million calls resulted in a congestion message, indicating the call queue was full. Among these calls, 1.8 million were successfully answered by a representative, while 800,000 were terminated by the customers themselves.

To those unfamiliar, when call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature. Here, an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.

This issue was brought to light during recent Senate hearings, where Centrelink bosses failed to answer Senators' tough questions regarding the agency's declining service standards.

View attachment 33077
Services Australia officials were grilled during a Senate Estimates hearing as shocking wait times for Centrelink customers were revealed. Credit: Shutterstock.

Senators made no attempt to hide their disbelief during the hearings over the agency's lack of improvement.

'Even with that decrease in the number of calls, your performance on serving those calls has declined?' Senator Janet Rice asked pointedly.

Chris Birrer, the Chief Executive of Services Australia, acknowledged that the current situation fell short of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).

He explained, 'We would like to have better customer service performance in a number of measures, and we've discussed some this morning. We're working to be as efficient and as disciplined as we can within the resources that we have.'

He also noted that the period between July and August tends to be busier due to the tax season, which results in a higher volume of claims.

Birrer also attributed the decline in call volume to increased usage of the myGov app, as well as a decrease in pandemic and natural disaster-related inquiries.

Just a few months ago, we reported that Centrelink's workforce struggled to keep up with demand as millions of Aussies grappled with the cost-of-living crisis.

Recent figures reveal that the average wait time for all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has 'skyrocketed' from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

However, Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

'Centrelink saying there is a 30-minute wait. Haha! It's actually 3-4 hours and won't help anyone,' posted one mum.

She added: 'No one is qualified! Have been waiting for help for eight weeks. Paid taxes all our lives. This system is broken.'

Even members here at the SDC can't help but air out their frustrations with Centrelink's increasingly long wait times.

'I don't know where 28 minutes came from. I was waiting 65 minutes last week,' said member @Suzanne rose, adding: 'The worst thing is waiting over an hour and then it disconnects.'

Member @MaggieMay1948 also commented, 'I've waited around 1.5 hours more times than I can remember. 20 mins would be a bonus.'

'Plus, I've ended up several times with someone who couldn't help me (inexperienced? Lack of training?) and had to be transferred and start the whole waiting game again! Centrelink is horrendous.'

Member @Southmelbswans also ranted, 'Wow, 20 minutes. I should be so lucky! Waited all day until the lights were turned off and the phone disconnected!'

Key Takeaways

• Top officials from Services Australia, which oversees Centrelink, have failed to explain why wait times have increased despite a reduction in the number of calls to the agency.
  • Roughly 60 per cent of calls to the agency are currently being answered within 15 minutes, with about 9 million calls per year directed to a non-human 'congestion' voicemail message.
  • When call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature, where an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.
  • Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

Members, have you ever had to endure frustratingly long waiting times just to speak with a Centrelink representative? How did that situation play out for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below!
I can tell you what the problem is with Centrelink. Over the years they (senior management) have been directed by the know-it-all senior senior public servants, that they are over-staffed and have to shed staff. What happened time and time again was that redundancy packages were offered and obviously, the people who have worked there the longest, and were getting on in years worked out that they could manage quite well on their super pensions, so they took the redundancies and retired with no more stress or worries. Then Centrelink suddenly realised that they were understaffed and hired people who then had to undertake the steepest learning curve. No-one can believe how much there is to learn unless you are confronted with it.
Add to that, that Centrelink again under directions from the know-it-alls, changed what was a really good system to one that led to so many people (staff) ending up on stress leave. Centrelink is governed by the Social Security Act, which is in paper form, more volumes than you can poke a stick at. The so-called quick reference computer system is not sufficient to provide the information completely for every individual persons circumstances. It is just too much. You will notice most customer service officers you speak to on the phones and in the service centers are relatively young. They have no hope of knowing everything across every payment stream. In the early 2000s when you went into an office it was clearly divided into three streams. Age, disability and carers, Families and Employment services, so depending on what payment you were on, you went to that reception. The office staff were in one of those three teams. You were part of a team of people who had worked in those payments for a long time and you had the chance to get to know what you were doing to some degree of accuracy and professionalism. When they decided to scrap this system altogether, suddenly people who had spent 20 years working in Employment Services were faced with serving Aged Pensioners and vice versa. You have no hope. The stress levels of staff went through the roof and the customers, they were now faced in a lot of cases, with staff who had no clue. Yes they had access to a computer program that supposedly had all the answers, but you had to know how to phrase the questions. I avoid having anything to do with Centrelink if I can. Yes I have been on the phone waiting for over three hours, it is only going to get worse...

Reactions: Ezzy and TheBear
Regardless, they provide a service, not charity. This wait time makes me and perhaps others feel less important than people who do not use Centrelink.
And they are getting paid for by the Taxpayers for what they are doing as well.

send a message to your local federal member
From my past experience you will be wasting your time.
There is one thing that you should keep in mind about Politicians, And that is the reality of it all, they will be licking your backside for the two or three months during the election, even going aorund kissing babies for God's sake, but then you will have to lick theirs for the next three or four years.

Reactions: Ezzy
I can tell you what the problem is with Centrelink. Over the years they (senior management) have been directed by the know-it-all senior senior public servants, that they are over-staffed and have to shed staff. What happened time and time again was that redundancy packages were offered and obviously, the people who have worked there the longest, and were getting on in years worked out that they could manage quite well on their super pensions, so they took the redundancies and retired with no more stress or worries. Then Centrelink suddenly realised that they were understaffed and hired people who then had to undertake the steepest learning curve. No-one can believe how much there is to learn unless you are confronted with it.
Add to that, that Centrelink again under directions from the know-it-alls, changed what was a really good system to one that led to so many people (staff) ending up on stress leave. Centrelink is governed by the Social Security Act, which is in paper form, more volumes than you can poke a stick at. The so-called quick reference computer system is not sufficient to provide the information completely for every individual persons circumstances. It is just too much. You will notice most customer service officers you speak to on the phones and in the service centers are relatively young. They have no hope of knowing everything across every payment stream. In the early 2000s when you went into an office it was clearly divided into three streams. Age, disability and carers, Families and Employment services, so depending on what payment you were on, you went to that reception. The office staff were in one of those three teams. You were part of a team of people who had worked in those payments for a long time and you had the chance to get to know what you were doing to some degree of accuracy and professionalism. When they decided to scrap this system altogether, suddenly people who had spent 20 years working in Employment Services were faced with serving Aged Pensioners and vice versa. You have no hope. The stress levels of staff went through the roof and the customers, they were now faced in a lot of cases, with staff who had no clue. Yes they had access to a computer program that supposedly had all the answers, but you had to know how to phrase the questions. I avoid having anything to do with Centrelink if I can. Yes I have been on the phone waiting for over three hours, it is only going to get worse...
Well, and the answer is, sack the bureaucrat who came up with this silly ideas although it is never going to happen because these people cannot be sacked. If you work in a private sector and you don't perform you will get the sack after having received a few warning but, in the public servants you can't do it.
And the same goes with these people which comes up with ideas that stuff the system which ws working well. The worst that can happen to them they will be transferred to another department or even creating a total new position altogether for them.
I had a frined who was making too mnay waves for the Bureacrats because he knew more than they knew and was asking too many question, so they created a new position for him (Never existed before), gave him a small offce and all he had to do for the day was to get himslef a few cups of coffee and going to buy himself the newspaper and read it. In the end he got sick of it, took a lump sum as a redundacy payment, and went working for a private sector.

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
Have called Centrelink many times and the wait time is several hours.
Their online service is the most un user friendly service I've ever used. Most options never fit what criteria that you need, and there are no options for other statements categories. I usually have to end up going into the office for assistance which is usually not very helpful. Most staff are new and don't know how the system works. Most of the good staff with the knowledge have been offered packages and left, so there is no one left who knows how it works and what to do. I wonder whether this is deliberate to discourage people to use the Centrelink Office. They always say that you can do it online. HA HA!! You need a degree to even work out what to do and sometimes this wouldn't even help. ONE VERY FRUSTRATED CUSTOMER.

I have endured endless problems with Centrelink, they tell you to download all your paperwork online with My Gov, which I have always done with my medical exemptions. You see ALL my medical/ specialists have filled out continuous letters stating that with all my injuries which I have had for 6 years now and is getting worse that I should be put on a disability pension but Centrelink have said NO. I am 63 years old. Every 3 months my doctor fills out a medical exemption and I have sent it through through My Gov, after a week and I still haven't heard back I have continuously called Centrelink to see why they haven't replied, but no-one answers, so frustrating I re submit my paperwork again and still nothing. I have had to make a trip into Centrelink office which is very painful for me and submit it again. this has happened for the last 10 months. The lady I spoke to yesterday said that all the online paperwork submitted goes into a big file and are dealt with when someone actually looks in there. So much for modern technology helping us elderly out. This is absolutely disgusting treating people like this.
You need to contact your local minister for your area and ask them to help you. Not only is that one of the things they get paid to do it is part of their purview to sort out issues with centrelink. Good luck.

Their online service is the most un user friendly service I've ever used. Most options never fit what criteria that you need, and there are no options for other statements categories. I usually have to end up going into the office for assistance which is usually not very helpful. Most staff are new and don't know how the system works. Most of the good staff with the knowledge have been offered packages and left, so there is no one left who knows how it works and what to do. I wonder whether this is deliberate to discourage people to use the Centrelink Office. They always say that you can do it online. HA HA!! You need a degree to even work out what to do and sometimes this wouldn't even help. ONE VERY FRUSTRATED CUSTOMER.
You wrote: "( I wonder whether this is deliberate to discourage people to use the Centrelink Office. )"
I think you have hit the nail on the head. They want to push us all to the digital/online facilities because they are going to save huge moneys while at the same time hoping that people get frustrated and eventually give up. At the same time they don't think that many people do not know how to use the facility at all as it is too hard to follow.

Is this what they call 'JOB SKILLING' or something similar? The Water Authority started this about 18 years ago with the idea the person who normally does a certain job could be away & there would still be someone there to do that task. This was critical when laying pipes for example where alignment & levels were important.

Reactions: Gsr
You may remember a previous article about lack of staff at CENTRELINK where the writer mentioned that this all started with COVID.

Thinking there was no need for so many staff with less people making application for benefits etc. they liquidated staff, against advice from staff. COVID passed, people started to put in applications, the shite hit the fan & staff were needed to fill positions. Untrained staff were employed, & were to be trained by those left from the COVID period. (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!). (do your job, train new staff, learn a new area & while you are at it, put a broom up your backside & sweep the floor).

MIRACLES CAN BE DONE STRAIGHT AWAY, IMPOSSIBILITIES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER.

Reactions: deni67 and Gsr
I have endured endless problems with Centrelink, they tell you to download all your paperwork online with My Gov, which I have always done with my medical exemptions. You see ALL my medical/ specialists have filled out continuous letters stating that with all my injuries which I have had for 6 years now and is getting worse that I should be put on a disability pension but Centrelink have said NO. I am 63 years old. Every 3 months my doctor fills out a medical exemption and I have sent it through through My Gov, after a week and I still haven't heard back I have continuously called Centrelink to see why they haven't replied, but no-one answers, so frustrating I re submit my paperwork again and still nothing. I have had to make a trip into Centrelink office which is very painful for me and submit it again. this has happened for the last 10 months. The lady I spoke to yesterday said that all the online paperwork submitted goes into a big file and are dealt with when someone actually looks in there. So much for modern technology helping us elderly out. This is absolutely disgusting treating people like this.
Sadly it seems America's system has come our way.
It can take years over there to get on disability, most people have to employ lawers to help fight for it for them, which wouldn't be cheap.
The whole thing is disgusting, mind you I didn't have to wait long at all but that was around 18 years ago!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Gsr
You may remember a previous article about lack of staff at CENTRELINK where the writer mentioned that this all started with COVID.

Thinking there was no need for so many staff with less people making application for benefits etc. they liquidated staff, against advice from staff. COVID passed, people started to put in applications, the shite hit the fan & staff were needed to fill positions. Untrained staff were employed, & were to be trained by those left from the COVID period. (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!). (do your job, train new staff, learn a new area & while you are at it, put a broom up your backside & sweep the floor).

MIRACLES CAN BE DONE STRAIGHT AWAY, IMPOSSIBILITIES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER.
That is incorrect. Government departments never sacked anyone nor they ever will unless they want to leave the employment themselves and take a redundancy payment.
Hence why many people wants to take a job as a public servant. Flexible hours, long leave, a hell of a lot of sick leave, generous maternity leave and many other benefits, let alone the lifetime security of a job.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

Hi

Reactions: Ezzy
I applied for the aged pension on September 18th 2023. I had submitted all my paperwork. I received weekly SMS updates stating my application was in progress. I eventually had to contact them at the end of November after waiting 50 minutes for someone to answer. I was very lucky I rang on that day because I talked to a lovely man who also happened to be doing processing applications that day. He had a look at my application and rang me a few hours later stating that my application had been approved. I received the back pay the next week and my pension payment this week. If I hadn't rung, I would still be waiting, so even though I had to wait 50 minutes it was worth it.