Centrelink's outrageous wait times exposed as Senators grill bosses

Many seniors rely on Centrelink for vital government services and payments. But recently, there has been growing concern over outrageously long wait times that seniors face when trying to contact Centrelink by phone or have their claims processed.

Despite Centrelink receiving fewer calls this year, the agency's performance in answering calls and processing claims has 'deteriorated'.

Only 60 per cent of calls are being answered within 15 minutes, with 9 million calls annually met with a voicemail asking callers to try again later due to high demand.

In July and August of this year, the agency received a total of 8 million calls. Of these, 2.8 million calls resulted in a congestion message, indicating the call queue was full. Among these calls, 1.8 million were successfully answered by a representative, while 800,000 were terminated by the customers themselves.

To those unfamiliar, when call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature. Here, an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.

This issue was brought to light during recent Senate hearings, where Centrelink bosses failed to answer Senators' tough questions regarding the agency's declining service standards.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 8.55.00 AM.png
Services Australia officials were grilled during a Senate Estimates hearing as shocking wait times for Centrelink customers were revealed. Credit: Shutterstock.

Senators made no attempt to hide their disbelief during the hearings over the agency's lack of improvement.

'Even with that decrease in the number of calls, your performance on serving those calls has declined?' Senator Janet Rice asked pointedly.

'Is there anything that's improved?'

Chris Birrer, the Chief Executive of Services Australia, acknowledged that the current situation fell short of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).

He explained, 'We would like to have better customer service performance in a number of measures, and we've discussed some this morning. We're working to be as efficient and as disciplined as we can within the resources that we have.'

He also noted that the period between July and August tends to be busier due to the tax season, which results in a higher volume of claims.

Birrer also attributed the decline in call volume to increased usage of the myGov app, as well as a decrease in pandemic and natural disaster-related inquiries.

Just a few months ago, we reported that Centrelink's workforce struggled to keep up with demand as millions of Aussies grappled with the cost-of-living crisis.

Recent figures reveal that the average wait time for all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has 'skyrocketed' from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

However, Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

'Centrelink saying there is a 30-minute wait. Haha! It's actually 3-4 hours and won't help anyone,' posted one mum.

She added: 'No one is qualified! Have been waiting for help for eight weeks. Paid taxes all our lives. This system is broken.'

Even members here at the SDC can't help but air out their frustrations with Centrelink's increasingly long wait times.

'I don't know where 28 minutes came from. I was waiting 65 minutes last week,' said member @Suzanne rose, adding: 'The worst thing is waiting over an hour and then it disconnects.'

Member @MaggieMay1948 also commented, 'I've waited around 1.5 hours more times than I can remember. 20 mins would be a bonus.'

'Plus, I've ended up several times with someone who couldn't help me (inexperienced? Lack of training?) and had to be transferred and start the whole waiting game again! Centrelink is horrendous.'

Member @Southmelbswans also ranted, 'Wow, 20 minutes. I should be so lucky! Waited all day until the lights were turned off and the phone disconnected!'

Key Takeaways

• Top officials from Services Australia, which oversees Centrelink, have failed to explain why wait times have increased despite a reduction in the number of calls to the agency.
  • Roughly 60 per cent of calls to the agency are currently being answered within 15 minutes, with about 9 million calls per year directed to a non-human 'congestion' voicemail message.
  • When call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature, where an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.
  • Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

We hope this situation will improve soon for everyone.

Members, have you ever had to endure frustratingly long waiting times just to speak with a Centrelink representative? How did that situation play out for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below!

Sponsored
Many seniors rely on Centrelink for vital government services and payments. But recently, there has been growing concern over outrageously long wait times that seniors face when trying to contact Centrelink by phone or have their claims processed.

Despite Centrelink receiving fewer calls this year, the agency's performance in answering calls and processing claims has 'deteriorated'.

Only 60 per cent of calls are being answered within 15 minutes, with 9 million calls annually met with a voicemail asking callers to try again later due to high demand.

In July and August of this year, the agency received a total of 8 million calls. Of these, 2.8 million calls resulted in a congestion message, indicating the call queue was full. Among these calls, 1.8 million were successfully answered by a representative, while 800,000 were terminated by the customers themselves.

To those unfamiliar, when call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature. Here, an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.

This issue was brought to light during recent Senate hearings, where Centrelink bosses failed to answer Senators' tough questions regarding the agency's declining service standards.

View attachment 33077
Services Australia officials were grilled during a Senate Estimates hearing as shocking wait times for Centrelink customers were revealed. Credit: Shutterstock.

Senators made no attempt to hide their disbelief during the hearings over the agency's lack of improvement.

'Even with that decrease in the number of calls, your performance on serving those calls has declined?' Senator Janet Rice asked pointedly.

Chris Birrer, the Chief Executive of Services Australia, acknowledged that the current situation fell short of their Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).

He explained, 'We would like to have better customer service performance in a number of measures, and we've discussed some this morning. We're working to be as efficient and as disciplined as we can within the resources that we have.'

He also noted that the period between July and August tends to be busier due to the tax season, which results in a higher volume of claims.

Birrer also attributed the decline in call volume to increased usage of the myGov app, as well as a decrease in pandemic and natural disaster-related inquiries.

Just a few months ago, we reported that Centrelink's workforce struggled to keep up with demand as millions of Aussies grappled with the cost-of-living crisis.

Recent figures reveal that the average wait time for all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has 'skyrocketed' from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

However, Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

'Centrelink saying there is a 30-minute wait. Haha! It's actually 3-4 hours and won't help anyone,' posted one mum.

She added: 'No one is qualified! Have been waiting for help for eight weeks. Paid taxes all our lives. This system is broken.'

Even members here at the SDC can't help but air out their frustrations with Centrelink's increasingly long wait times.

'I don't know where 28 minutes came from. I was waiting 65 minutes last week,' said member @Suzanne rose, adding: 'The worst thing is waiting over an hour and then it disconnects.'

Member @MaggieMay1948 also commented, 'I've waited around 1.5 hours more times than I can remember. 20 mins would be a bonus.'

'Plus, I've ended up several times with someone who couldn't help me (inexperienced? Lack of training?) and had to be transferred and start the whole waiting game again! Centrelink is horrendous.'

Member @Southmelbswans also ranted, 'Wow, 20 minutes. I should be so lucky! Waited all day until the lights were turned off and the phone disconnected!'

Key Takeaways

• Top officials from Services Australia, which oversees Centrelink, have failed to explain why wait times have increased despite a reduction in the number of calls to the agency.
  • Roughly 60 per cent of calls to the agency are currently being answered within 15 minutes, with about 9 million calls per year directed to a non-human 'congestion' voicemail message.
  • When call volumes reach a high level, Services Australia activates a 'congestion messaging' feature, where an automated voice answers the call and informs the caller that online services are accessible before disconnecting the call.
  • Australians who rely on Centrelink services have reported even longer wait times, prompting many to express their frustration on social media.

Members, have you ever had to endure frustratingly long waiting times just to speak with a Centrelink representative? How did that situation play out for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below!
It's about time the Government removes those fat cats and bring in new blood to fix Centrelink!

I was advised by our local centrelink to make an appointment to come down in person. When I asked for the address they had to put me on hold as they didn't even know the address where they worked.
Another time I enquired about and asset update that I submitted 3 months prior. Someone had forgot to"ok "the submission with just one click of the mouse.
What hope do we have.
Always in person for me. You get your point across way better than alternative methods.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

Then get more staff Centrelink. Train them all up better. Change your phone recording so people can get to the correct division and qualified person.

I'm sick to death of not being able to ask soneone to "unblock "my account so I can use the online updating of my assets and liabilities. I'm sick of holding on for up to in excess of an hour!

What I have learnt about Centrelink since it was foisted on us is that it is a well-run failure designed to on obfuscate and prevent government from taking up its social responsibilities to the aged, the infirm and the unemployed. Most modern organisations pretending to be service providers keep one waiting on the telephone for far too long just to answer a simple question. Last time that happened with one so-called "service provider" I laid a complaint with the appropriate Ombudsman, who told them to pull finger and answer my questions within 4 days by calling me on the telephone after they had sorted out the issue; it was one that could have been resolved in a few minutes had someone been employed to pick up the "provider's" telephone within a couple of minutes of my call rather than keeping me waiting for more than one hour listening to idiot music interspersed with an automated, "We value your call etc".

The world has certainly not improved with modernity; and no, I didn't buy my computer for the benefit of reading "service providers'" websites. That is what my landline is for , so that I can talk to a human being about any issue provided by the "service provider". Sorry (hell that I am!) to be so "old-fashioned". Being old, I remember a more courteous and helpful world.

After ringing the ABSTUDY line 3 times to dispute a request they made online about my grandsons ABSTUDY, which we had applied for over 2 months before, I went to our local office. To my surprise there are some new staff there, to my bigger surprise there were only 2 other people waiting, to my even bigger surprise the staff were extremely pleasant to deal with. After waiting about 10 minutes I was called up, the male staff member listened to my complaint and even though I had no authority for my grandson he took what I said onboard, put it in the system and told me the issue should be resolved within a day. He printed out a copy of the form for my grandson to give me permission to enquire on his behalf. Within 2 hours of my visit the ABSTUDY claim was approved. When I returned the completed authorisation form 3 days later I dealt with the same staff member, again he was very pleasant and helpful. I could not believe the change in the service at the office from the change in staff. I put a compliment on the services Australia website about this. (My grandson works from 7-4.15 4 days a week and attends tafe in another town the other day so can’t get to the office himself, hence why I am now authorised to deal with Centrelink on his behalf)

Then get more staff Centrelink. Train them all up better. Change your phone recording so people can get to the correct division and qualified person.

I'm sick to death of not being able to ask soneone to "unblock "my account so I can use the online updating of my assets and liabilities. I'm sick of holding on for up to in excess of an hour!
Perhaps they should be made to wear uniforms to and from work and therefore be ridiculed by the public inpublic
When i worked in the ATO we were asked whether we wanted uniforms, many knew that they would be mocked in the Streets and the idea was laid to rest
If this were made compulsory perhaps the elderly would receive better communication with the now stupid staff who work there?
Centrelink epitomises the price to us of "privatisation" of services, from power poles to the pension.

Had a very similar experience about time on phone/then disconnected!!! " Use the App or go on line" was quoted time and time again by robot....I don't have the app on my phone...it comes out of a plug on my wall!! And I'm not that proficient on "online stuff" So I spend my time at CentreLink..nice coffee shop nearby!!!
And you have to use some of your precious saved money to pay for that coffee, in the bargain! At present we are both lucky and fortunate enough not to need CentreLink assistance but I do very much sympathise with everyone on SDC who must use the service. When I need them I hope that they will have improved and sorted their long wait times out, because I am not one to hold my tongue if I end up in situations like you, my senior members.

Very, very, very bad for a government organisation.

It is not just Centrelink but most big businesses that phone waiting has escalated.
I feel that the big problem is working from home and office phones not being answered by the office ghosts and if calls transferred to a home number that person just happens to have popped out!!!!

Don't blame the staff. The buck should stop at management. I am on the DSP which took me two years to get, make no mistake - they want to put you off till you are over 65 so you don't qualify for the NDIS. The thing is that disabled people over 65 need the NDIS just as much as others, if not more. I'm 66 now and My Aged Care is not a lot of use because I don't need help with showering, or my bum wiped. I am stuck at home a lot and not real mobile. My depression acts up, I would like to have someone take me out for coffee once a week. I feel like the government would be happy if you just went away and died once you reach 65.

Don't blame the staff. The buck should stop at management. I am on the DSP which took me two years to get, make no mistake - they want to put you off till you are over 65 so you don't qualify for the NDIS. The thing is that disabled people over 65 need the NDIS just as much as others, if not more. I'm 66 now and My Aged Care is not a lot of use because I don't need help with showering, or my bum wiped. I am stuck at home a lot and not real mobile. My depression acts up, I would like to have someone take me out for coffee once a week. I feel like the government would be happy if you just went away and died once you reach 65.
Omg I’m in exactly the same situation as you.i turned 65on the 1st of July now I have to wait 2years for a pension.centrelink told me to keep getting doc Certs every 2months to get job seeker p/Ments it’s ridiculous.there are organisations that take you out on outings you just have to look them up and have a chat.good luck don’t despair you have mates on this site if you need to talk or vent.im in Vic where are you.

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

I have waited for two hours and then being hung up on without talking to anyone. It's not good enough. I also have a claim pending which was submitted on the 7th September and I'm still waiting for outcome

When Centrelink payments are increased , money has to come from somewhere- staff cuts. Less workers = less complaints. Looks good on paper.

I have waited for two hours and then being hung up on without talking to anyone. It's not good enough. I also have a claim pending which was submitted on the 7th September and I'm still waiting for outcome
I have been waiting since 8 June. I am still waiting. I hope they are faster with your claim.

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 33077

Key Takeaways

I’ve given up calling Centrelink and being passed from one untrained person to the next. They’re on the ball if you owe THEM money but couldn’t care less if the roles are reversed!!! I go into the branch now, they couldn’t be more helpful

Reactions: Littleboy8
I’ve given up calling Centrelink and being passed from one untrained person to the next. They’re on the ball if you owe THEM money but couldn’t care less if the roles are reversed!!! I go into the branch now, they couldn’t be more helpful
So far no problem with centrelink after years😁but I always ring first thing and maybe the mood wears off as the day is long.no excuse I know but people can be bastards.😈

On 12th June I lodged a claim for a pension...20 weeks ago tomorrow. They told me there would be a 6 week wait. I have been into Centrelink who say they can't do anything because it's at claims department. I log into the MyGov app and it tells me my claim is being processed. Phone call to them, you are kidding....who has all day....not happy at all