@Forbes I am now open to any genre! After reading The Silent Patient which is a book I would never normally read (psychological thriller) I realised I need to broaden my horizons and enjoy some different genres! Do you have any recommendations?

Reactions: Emelle
@Forbes I am now open to any genre! After reading The Silent Patient which is a book I would never normally read (psychological thriller) I realised I need to broaden my horizons and enjoy some different genres! Do you have any recommendations?
Do you read the physical book or Ebook reader. Holding a book in your hand is always preferable but so expensive nowadays especially after retirement. All my books now are as MOBI or EPUB on my iPad.

@grannyjenn did you read the Outlander series then watch it? Would love to hear your opinion on the book vs. the television series!
Yes, I've read all the books and am watching the series on Foxtel. I thought the series prior to the American episodes were extremely faithful to the books and I loved them. I've struggled a bit with the American books - so many characters and story lines to keep straight and am finding the TV series of these times a bit slow. However, I still recommend them as a very good read.

Do you read the physical book or Ebook reader. Holding a book in your hand is always preferable but so expensive nowadays especially after retirement. All my books now are as MOBI or EPUB on my iPad.
@Forbes @jonathan got me a Kindle for Christmas because I kept lugging big books everywhere I went! I was sceptical at first, but now I love it and take it everywhere with me as it fits in my little handbag and is so light! I now read so much more because I always have it with me, whether I'm waiting at a cafe, or on a short train trip :)

Yes, I've read all the books and am watching the series on Foxtel. I thought the series prior to the American episodes were extremely faithful to the books and I loved them. I've struggled a bit with the American books - so many characters and story lines to keep straight and am finding the TV series of these times a bit slow. However, I still recommend them as a very good read.
@grannyjenn My sister in law said the exact thing! She said the American books were just too full on, apparently gave her a headache trying to keep up :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PattiB and TD
Hi Maddie
All of these I have read a number of times and have always enjoyed them;

A Google search will give you an idea of the storyline's.

1/ Old Mans War - John Scalzi
2/ The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
3/ Hollow Kingdom - Kira Jane Buxton
4/ Doggerland - Ben Smith
5/ A Boy and his Dog at the End of the World - C. A. Fletcher

Hi Maddie
All of these I have read a number of times and have always enjoyed them;

A Google search will give you an idea of the storyline's.

1/ Old Mans War - John Scalzi
2/ The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
3/ Hollow Kingdom - Kira Jane Buxton
4/ Doggerland - Ben Smith
5/ A Boy and his Dog at the End of the World - C. A. Fletcher
@Forbes thank you so much!

Have you read 'Tuesdays With Morrie' before? I highly recommend. I loved it so much I read it in a day :)

I will google all of your recommendations and download a few! I'm so excited to finally have a few book recommendations up my sleeve, I should have made a Book Recommendations thread months ago! :ROFLMAO:

Hi Maddie

Another 2 Books which I think are enjoyable..
“ AS LONG AS THE LEMON TREES GROW “ by ZOULFA KATOUH
“ THE FALLEN ANGEL “. BY. DANIEL SILVA .

@grannyjenn did you read the Outlander series then watch it? Would love to hear your opinion on the book vs. the television series!
I read the books before I watched the tv programs. They kept fairly closely to the books, initially the tv characters didn't fit my mental picture of how they should look but I soon got used to the differences, sat back and totally enjoyed the rollicking yarn. :) :)

@Forbes @jonathan got me a Kindle for Christmas because I kept lugging big books everywhere I went! I was sceptical at first, but now I love it and take it everywhere with me as it fits in my little handbag and is so light! I now read so much more because I always have it with me, whether I'm waiting at a cafe, or on a short train trip :)
Kindles are Amazing especially when you are reading a series, most books are alot cheaper also.

Reactions: Ricci
If you have a kindle I’d suggest Joy Ellis - The Detective Kim Stone Series. I read at least 4 books per week at present (recuperating from surgery). Usually I read about 2 books per week.
Other authors are Angela Marsons, Patricia Cornwell - the Kay Scarpetta Series, or Gary Ponzo - The Nick Bracco Series. Good reading!!

Morning Maddie. My husband & I, my daughter and grandson have read “The Cowra Breakout”, a factual and historical book. We went to the Cowra POW camp where the breakout took place.

The camp housed Japanese, Italian & Indonesian prisoners

Very confronting. The Japanese treated the Australian and English POWs as animals, with no respect, no medical treatment or sufficient food. The Japanese soldiers wanted to die in battle to be considered a hero. Being a POW was a disgrace.

The allied forces( Britain, Australia, and USA) followed the Geneva convention and ensured that all POWs were looked after with, food and medical services.

Reactions: PattiB and Ricci