Are you ready for a cashless society? How Coles' latest change will affect your shopping routine

Australia seems like it’s quickly sprinting towards becoming a cashless society.

In fact, it feels like we are just a step away from fully embracing card-based and digital payments. For better or for worse, the days of our beloved coins and notes seem to be dwindling.

In an intriguing new development, supermarket giant Coles is leading the race to cashless transactions, much to the frustration of many customers.

The supermarket has faced significant backlash over the launch of a new store in Brisbane with a key difference.

shutterstock_2097992941.jpg
Coles’ new store in Brisbane accepts cards only as a source of payment. Image source: Shutterstock.

Do you remember the joy of handling cash, making sure you had the right number of notes and coins for exact change? Well, it seems that era might be winding down. In this new Coles store, there might be no place for those who prefer to pay for their goods with cash.

The new store features a row of self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, they all strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

'The new Coles, no cash machines at all,' the person filming laments incredulously. These words sparked a slew of contentious debates, even triggering calls for boycotting shops that no longer accept cash.

'Everyone needs to only use cash. If they don't accept cash, then don't buy from them,' one impassioned customer responded.

Another vehemently advised, 'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.'

There's more to this moving away from cash than just the convenience of card payments, though. Several pointed out that Coles' march towards self-serve checkouts spells bad news for potential jobseekers, threatening employment in an already competitive market.

The trend does have its fair share of defenders, however, with many accepting the inevitability of a cashless society.

One person commented, ‘Cash is going. Get used to it. Cash, unfortunately, is mostly used by criminals and tax cheats. More and more businesses are declining to do cash transactions.'

Meanwhile, Coles responded to the video by stating that there are still options for customers who prefer to pay with cash in all their stores.

Coles isn’t the first supermarket chain to attempt a venture into cashless transactions. In 2021, Woolworths rolled out a trial for cashless supermarkets but faced significant resistance, leading to the trial's abandonment. The move was branded as an effort to make shopping as seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers.

Ultimately, customers' preference for cash was overwhelming. 'Cash is legal tender, and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere,' one customer wrote defiantly on Woolworths' Facebook page.

The verdict on whether Australia is ready to let go of cash is still open to debate.
While it's true the Reserve Bank estimated just 13% of transactions in late 2022 were in cash, critics argue this push towards cashless transactions could be detrimental to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on physical cash.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles is facing customer backlash over a new store in Brisbane where the self-checkout machines do not accept cash, sparking a call to boycott similar shops.
  • Despite the move towards cashless checkout, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that there are still cash payment options in all stores, and there are no completely cashless stores yet.
  • Woolworths abandoned a trial of cashless supermarkets in 2021 due to fierce resistance from customers who still prefer cash transactions.
  • As Australia moves towards becoming a cashless society, critics warn that the decline in the use of cash and physical bank branches could cause significant harm to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on these services.

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
No, I don't believe it's a conspiracy theory, it's absolutely real, our lives are being controlled more and more every day. We are lied to by our governmeñts and treated like idiots, probably because so many of us are to complacent and just go with the flow
Same as this referendum,.once again so many people will just go along with what the government chooses to tell them,.which is a big fat nothing
Albo saying they will work out the details later..
What the heck, who votes for something and then waits to hear the details later.????
I saw someone write in yesterday's paper that that is OK, that is how governments work, that is how it's done. REALLY!!!
No wonder this world is so disfunctional.
e.g. We all trot off to the vets every year and pay a fortune for our pets YEARLY injections, me included.
Until my nephew, who works at a large veterinary hospital, told me it's unnecessary, it's a way of keeping vets viable. Years ago you had your pets immunized once, for life.
When I told this to my vet, she didn't deny it, said it's a way of getting your pets health checked every year. I think most of us are not that stupid that we can't tell when our pets are unwell. We believe what we're told and just go along with it without querying. Lambs to the slaughter.
We'll all wake up when it's too late.
My ex is a Vet and he told me the first lot of vaccinations were important as your puppies need to get the full doses for diseases like Parvo and Distemper, but after 2 years of age, your dog only needs to be vaxxed once every three years. Straight out of the horse's (Veterinarian's) mouth.

Reactions: Trudi
I Font like
Australia seems like it’s quickly sprinting towards becoming a cashless society.

In fact, it feels like we are just a step away from fully embracing card-based and digital payments. For better or for worse, the days of our beloved coins and notes seem to be dwindling.

In an intriguing new development, supermarket giant Coles is leading the race to cashless transactions, much to the frustration of many customers.

The supermarket has faced significant backlash over the launch of a new store in Brisbane with a key difference.

View attachment 29142
Coles’ new store in Brisbane accepts cards only as a source of payment. Image source: Shutterstock.

Do you remember the joy of handling cash, making sure you had the right number of notes and coins for exact change? Well, it seems that era might be winding down. In this new Coles store, there might be no place for those who prefer to pay for their goods with cash.

The new store features a row of self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, they all strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

'The new Coles, no cash machines at all,' the person filming laments incredulously. These words sparked a slew of contentious debates, even triggering calls for boycotting shops that no longer accept cash.

'Everyone needs to only use cash. If they don't accept cash, then don't buy from them,' one impassioned customer responded.

Another vehemently advised, 'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.'

There's more to this moving away from cash than just the convenience of card payments, though. Several pointed out that Coles' march towards self-serve checkouts spells bad news for potential jobseekers, threatening employment in an already competitive market.

The trend does have its fair share of defenders, however, with many accepting the inevitability of a cashless society.

One person commented, ‘Cash is going. Get used to it. Cash, unfortunately, is mostly used by criminals and tax cheats. More and more businesses are declining to do cash transactions.'

Meanwhile, Coles responded to the video by stating that there are still options for customers who prefer to pay with cash in all their stores.

Coles isn’t the first supermarket chain to attempt a venture into cashless transactions. In 2021, Woolworths rolled out a trial for cashless supermarkets but faced significant resistance, leading to the trial's abandonment. The move was branded as an effort to make shopping as seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers.

Ultimately, customers' preference for cash was overwhelming. 'Cash is legal tender, and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere,' one customer wrote defiantly on Woolworths' Facebook page.

The verdict on whether Australia is ready to let go of cash is still open to debate.
While it's true the Reserve Bank estimated just 13% of transactions in late 2022 were in cash, critics argue this push towards cashless transactions could be detrimental to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on physical cash.

Key Takeaways

• Coles is facing customer backlash over a new store in Brisbane where the self-checkout machines do not accept cash, sparking a call to boycott similar shops.
  • Despite the move towards cashless checkout, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that there are still cash payment options in all stores, and there are no completely cashless stores yet.
  • Woolworths abandoned a trial of cashless supermarkets in 2021 due to fierce resistance from customers who still prefer cash transactions.
  • As Australia moves towards becoming a cashless society, critics warn that the decline in the use of cash and physical bank branches could cause significant harm to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on these services.

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section below.
I don't like it. I think we should be allowed to still have a choice even if it's one cash only or cash/card machine left for customers in each store. Thats only fair,it's still giving people a choice. And the person who made that statement and said that" people who still use cash are either criminals or tax evaders" well that is just absolute nonsense and I can assure you I am neither a criminal or a tax evaders but it makes me start to wonder about the mindset of someone who is thinking those things. Mmmmmmmmmm!!🤔

Reactions: Tervueren
Perhaps you need to word your posts more carefully! This is what you originally said:

"I also live in a remote location where we had four days without power one of many outages. No power, no money, no shopping, no nothing. So much for a cashless society."

You had no power for four days, hence there was no money, NO SHOPPING, no nothing.

1) If you could not do any shopping because the power was out EVERYWHERE, what did you need ash for?

2) when you say "no nothing" you actually say "something" - two negatives negate each other.
It was not where I live that I was talking about, but in NSW , where my son lives that they flew in cash, do you not follow the news.
In my earlier post I stated that we had to drive 70kms to the nearest town, but our town was accepting cash from those who had some, actually keeping a paper record of transactions.
We are only a small town, how would large suburban areas manage if this was to happen and there was no cash. This is the point I was attempting to make.

• Haha
Reactions: Tervueren and Trudi
My ex is a Vet and he told me the first lot of vaccinations were important as your puppies need to get the full doses for diseases like Parvo and Distemper, but after 2 years of age, your dog only needs to be vaxxed once every three years. Straight out of the horse's (Veterinarian's) mouth.
I'm aware of this, they just charge more for the 3 yearly shots.
As I stated, my nephew works for a large veterinary hospital, where they do considerable research. He has no monetary
consideratios attached to his advice, unlike most vets.

Reactions: Tervueren
2 weeks ago, i left a trolly half full of groceries at the counter and walked out because they refused to open checkout and serve me. I will never darken the doors at Coles again. if i am forced to go cashless i will shop online direct from the farm and have it delivered to my door.

Sad, world gone mad, All the big companies, banks and supermarkets seem to be working hand in hand. Also our newer Coles outlet (Southern River WA) yesterday had only on manned checkout working. They've even got checkout setup like a manned outlet, but without the person doing the checkout, they leave it to you. If they want to go cashless and no human to checkout your trolley of goodies, then they should offer 10% off your total checkout price.

• Haha
Reactions: Tervueren and Trudi
It was not where I live that I was talking about, but in NSW , where my son lives that they flew in cash, do you not follow the news.
In my earlier post I stated that we had to drive 70kms to the nearest town, but our town was accepting cash from those who had some, actually keeping a paper record of transactions.
We are only a small town, how would large suburban areas manage if this was to happen and there was no cash. This is the point I was attempting to make.
Say what you mean and mean what you say!

That was very useful advice my German teacher gave me back when I was a school kid in Austria. Although she said that in German, it also applies to English and any other language you can think of.

At 74years of age, I love the cashless idea. I never have cash and I would NOT shop at a store that only takes cash. Why do people get so upset about progress. We have all learnt history in school and know that change makes way for new things/experiences (the Industrial Revolution for one). My generation has seen the most change of any generation before with the introduction of computers. The change is this area has been rapid. And of course these changes can be used for good or evil. But we should not be seeing conspiracy at every new way of doing things. In my parents time it was "reds under the beds" ie communism, not it seems to be Government. Governments do good and bad. This is life! And regarding progress how many of us would give up our cars, TV"s, computers, labour saving equipment in our homes and particularly in our kitchens.
Progress happens and you can either embrace it or get all upset over it! It's here to stay!

• Wow
Reactions: Trudi and Tervueren

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

Well.
When I was a child, in the olden days, I lined up once a week and deposited a portion of my odd job money into the bank the Commonwealth set up at school. That's how learned to save.
Then the money box became useful in saving the bits of change, then I lined up at the bank to deposit the contents once a month. That's how I learned to recognise the value of saving for a purpose.
When our boys were little, they got pocket money and were encouraged to save a portion. We opened accounts for them, and history repeated itself.
So, do the mums and dads of today have no choice than to give each child an Eftpos card? How will they teach the kids about saving if piggy banks become obsolete? How do the youngsters save? Will they need to deal with mum and dad by direct deposit?
I am not against using my Eftpos card and rarely carry more than $20 cash, more for, security than me anything else. I am not accepting of a totally cashless society. Seem a bit big brother to me.

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

I just wont shop at coles any more...jay2

Well.
When I was a child, in the olden days, I lined up once a week and deposited a portion of my odd job money into the bank the Commonwealth set up at school. That's how learned to save.
Then the money box became useful in saving the bits of change, then I lined up at the bank to deposit the contents once a month. That's how I learned to recognise the value of saving for a purpose.
When our boys were little, they got pocket money and were encouraged to save a portion. We opened accounts for them, and history repeated itself.
So, do the mums and dads of today have no choice than to give each child an Eftpos card? How will they teach the kids about saving if piggy banks become obsolete? How do the youngsters save? Will they need to deal with mum and dad by direct deposit?
I am not against using my Eftpos card and rarely carry more than $20 cash, more for, security than me anything else. I am not accepting of a totally cashless society. Seem a bit big brother to me.
My older kids (57, 52 and 50) still got their pocket money in cash.

But this was not the case with my youngest (33). For him I had a salary deduction going straight into his account from the time he was 13 years old.

No, I believe we should have choice as to how we wish to pay for services. I also like to go to garage sales and I have never been at one where you could pay by card - IT IS CASH ONLY.

No, I believe we should have choice as to how we wish to pay for services. I also like to go to garage sales and I have never been at one where you could pay by card - IT IS CASH ONLY.
A very good point!

On the other hand, what does the Tooth Fairy bring kids these days? A Visa card with a $100 limit?

That's right! Only the "cashed up wankers"!

• Haha
Reactions: MariaG and Trudi
If we are going cashless without choice then the government needs to supply us all with computers - iPads or whatever - just another expense for people on fixed incomes!
I like that idea..... although a device supplied by the government would probably be rigged

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

We have a Sunday Market stall, and it is surprising how many stall holders selling large costly items, accept eftpos on their phones. We sell jams etc, starting at $2 and DO NOT have eftpos, but many customers don't bring cash with them!! My philosophy is 'Cash is King!" and there is no way I'll let customers use cards for a $2 purchase

We have a Sunday Market stall, and it is surprising how many stall holders selling large costly items, accept eftpos on their phones. We sell jams etc, starting at $2 and DO NOT have eftpos, but many customers don't bring cash with them!! My philosophy is 'Cash is King!" and there is no way I'll let customers use cards for a $2 purchase
In the days when EFTPOS attracted a surcharge, I couldn't understand why people would purchase, say, a packet of chewing gum by itself and pay by card.

More money than sense.