Are you ready for a cashless society? How Coles' latest change will affect your shopping routine

Australia seems like it’s quickly sprinting towards becoming a cashless society.

In fact, it feels like we are just a step away from fully embracing card-based and digital payments. For better or for worse, the days of our beloved coins and notes seem to be dwindling.

In an intriguing new development, supermarket giant Coles is leading the race to cashless transactions, much to the frustration of many customers.

The supermarket has faced significant backlash over the launch of a new store in Brisbane with a key difference.

shutterstock_2097992941.jpg
Coles’ new store in Brisbane accepts cards only as a source of payment. Image source: Shutterstock.

Do you remember the joy of handling cash, making sure you had the right number of notes and coins for exact change? Well, it seems that era might be winding down. In this new Coles store, there might be no place for those who prefer to pay for their goods with cash.

The new store features a row of self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, they all strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

'The new Coles, no cash machines at all,' the person filming laments incredulously. These words sparked a slew of contentious debates, even triggering calls for boycotting shops that no longer accept cash.

'Everyone needs to only use cash. If they don't accept cash, then don't buy from them,' one impassioned customer responded.

Another vehemently advised, 'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.'

There's more to this moving away from cash than just the convenience of card payments, though. Several pointed out that Coles' march towards self-serve checkouts spells bad news for potential jobseekers, threatening employment in an already competitive market.

The trend does have its fair share of defenders, however, with many accepting the inevitability of a cashless society.

One person commented, ‘Cash is going. Get used to it. Cash, unfortunately, is mostly used by criminals and tax cheats. More and more businesses are declining to do cash transactions.'

Meanwhile, Coles responded to the video by stating that there are still options for customers who prefer to pay with cash in all their stores.

Coles isn’t the first supermarket chain to attempt a venture into cashless transactions. In 2021, Woolworths rolled out a trial for cashless supermarkets but faced significant resistance, leading to the trial's abandonment. The move was branded as an effort to make shopping as seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers.

Ultimately, customers' preference for cash was overwhelming. 'Cash is legal tender, and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere,' one customer wrote defiantly on Woolworths' Facebook page.

The verdict on whether Australia is ready to let go of cash is still open to debate.
While it's true the Reserve Bank estimated just 13% of transactions in late 2022 were in cash, critics argue this push towards cashless transactions could be detrimental to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on physical cash.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles is facing customer backlash over a new store in Brisbane where the self-checkout machines do not accept cash, sparking a call to boycott similar shops.
  • Despite the move towards cashless checkout, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that there are still cash payment options in all stores, and there are no completely cashless stores yet.
  • Woolworths abandoned a trial of cashless supermarkets in 2021 due to fierce resistance from customers who still prefer cash transactions.
  • As Australia moves towards becoming a cashless society, critics warn that the decline in the use of cash and physical bank branches could cause significant harm to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on these services.

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
A cashless society has the potential for comlete disaster. The government will have control of all your money. If you don't believe me check out the Canadian governments responce to the trucker protest. the protesters had their bank accounts frozen. Also check out the Chinese government "Social Credit" scheme.

Australia seems like it’s quickly sprinting towards becoming a cashless society.

In fact, it feels like we are just a step away from fully embracing card-based and digital payments. For better or for worse, the days of our beloved coins and notes seem to be dwindling.

In an intriguing new development, supermarket giant Coles is leading the race to cashless transactions, much to the frustration of many customers.

The supermarket has faced significant backlash over the launch of a new store in Brisbane with a key difference.

View attachment 29142
Coles’ new store in Brisbane accepts cards only as a source of payment. Image source: Shutterstock.

Do you remember the joy of handling cash, making sure you had the right number of notes and coins for exact change? Well, it seems that era might be winding down. In this new Coles store, there might be no place for those who prefer to pay for their goods with cash.

The new store features a row of self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, they all strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

'The new Coles, no cash machines at all,' the person filming laments incredulously. These words sparked a slew of contentious debates, even triggering calls for boycotting shops that no longer accept cash.

'Everyone needs to only use cash. If they don't accept cash, then don't buy from them,' one impassioned customer responded.

Another vehemently advised, 'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.'

There's more to this moving away from cash than just the convenience of card payments, though. Several pointed out that Coles' march towards self-serve checkouts spells bad news for potential jobseekers, threatening employment in an already competitive market.

The trend does have its fair share of defenders, however, with many accepting the inevitability of a cashless society.

One person commented, ‘Cash is going. Get used to it. Cash, unfortunately, is mostly used by criminals and tax cheats. More and more businesses are declining to do cash transactions.'

Meanwhile, Coles responded to the video by stating that there are still options for customers who prefer to pay with cash in all their stores.

Coles isn’t the first supermarket chain to attempt a venture into cashless transactions. In 2021, Woolworths rolled out a trial for cashless supermarkets but faced significant resistance, leading to the trial's abandonment. The move was branded as an effort to make shopping as seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers.

Ultimately, customers' preference for cash was overwhelming. 'Cash is legal tender, and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere,' one customer wrote defiantly on Woolworths' Facebook page.

The verdict on whether Australia is ready to let go of cash is still open to debate.
While it's true the Reserve Bank estimated just 13% of transactions in late 2022 were in cash, critics argue this push towards cashless transactions could be detrimental to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on physical cash.

Key Takeaways

• Coles is facing customer backlash over a new store in Brisbane where the self-checkout machines do not accept cash, sparking a call to boycott similar shops.
  • Despite the move towards cashless checkout, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that there are still cash payment options in all stores, and there are no completely cashless stores yet.
  • Woolworths abandoned a trial of cashless supermarkets in 2021 due to fierce resistance from customers who still prefer cash transactions.
  • As Australia moves towards becoming a cashless society, critics warn that the decline in the use of cash and physical bank branches could cause significant harm to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on these services.

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section below.
And when the power goes out ? What then ?

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

A cashless society is another way that the govt can keep up with our movements. It’s being driven by the huge companies that own share in our big 4 banks and nearly d every one of our companies. Black rock investments being one of them. It’s also connected to the push on this referendum that’s doing so much damage. That is there to divide us showing the UN the opportunity to control us. Conspiracy theory you might say. No it’s real when you read the un mandate. So less cash out there is the best way for them. I have got so fed up with CBA and it’s wait times on hold. 15 hours on hold over 3 days. My PC has been” hacked “ I thought so advised my bank of t the risk to my accounts. They froze my online banking do all I could do was look at it. Could not pay a Bill. Then they said they could not ID me over the phone. They took me over the normal id stuff, secret questions etc. I even offered regular transactions etc but they refused to unlock it. I had to go to a branch to be ID. Do I went and they did not want to give me cash. They would only transfer it to my new bank. Absolutely refused to give me cash. Then they wanted to charge me $4 to do it. Didn’t pay it and the money was transferred. I have had troubles with them locking it before so had enough. But could not get cash. So now I use cash everywhere and have been told in Woolies, Cole’s and target that by the end of next year they will be very unlikely to accept any cash. Not happy!!!

The only way to stop this cashless society is for all to get on board and only use cash, however that isn't going to happen because the past few generations and our future ones think its just as easy to fip out the card and pass it over the machine and hey presto it's paid for. All we can do for those of us who like cash is to keep using it.

If this goes ahead, Coles will become a "Veggiepatch-less" entity.

'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.' I like this idea! Fill a trolley with random frozen goods and abandon them at the checkout. Nice!
The French did this when a supermarket chain decided to go cashless. 50 people organised to go to the supermarket at the same time took their full trolleys to the cashless checkout walked away and left the goods at the checkout. The supermarket changed back very quickly.

We all have the right to use cash itsa legal tender and should never be stopped, when the world goes too crazy cash will be the only tender when cards don’t work.
A few years ago one of the cashless northern European countries (I think it was Sweden) had a 4 day period when they couldn't use cards. No-one could buy food medicine or fuel. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Until EPTPOS machines and card only checkouts supply a receipt with an account balance on them, I refuse to use them.

Unless you're a cashed up wanker, paying by card is fraught with danger. You spend various amounts at various retail outlets by card without any track of your rapidly diminishing bank balance. Your last transaction may be met with the message "insufficient funds - contact your financial institution". How embarrassing!

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

It would be a disaster. Muggy work in major cities but Australia is vast. Many small communities relying on cash. Not everywhere has reliable internet.

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

I prefer cashless, however whilst cash is still legal tender - cash should still be an option at all supermarkets. Many elderly people in particular and some people who just more comfortable with cash should be able to continue to use cash.

I would like to lay odds that this Coles store is near me. They have gone totally self-serve and I will not step foot in it. What happens when you ask for some cash out because there isn't an ATM or bank near you? I agree what happens when the power goes out. I had a trolley full of groceries for free, a long time ago, because the system was down. Bet they wouldn't do that now. We have to vote with our feet.

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

My age being in the nineties I always use cash, I do have a credit card in case of emergencies, I find in lots of these new technologies they go over my head.

A cashless society is another way that the govt can keep up with our movements. It’s being driven by the huge companies that own share in our big 4 banks and nearly d every one of our companies. Black rock investments being one of them. It’s also connected to the push on this referendum that’s doing so much damage. That is there to divide us showing the UN the opportunity to control us. Conspiracy theory you might say. No it’s real when you read the un mandate. So less cash out there is the best way for them. I have got so fed up with CBA and it’s wait times on hold. 15 hours on hold over 3 days. My PC has been” hacked “ I thought so advised my bank of t the risk to my accounts. They froze my online banking do all I could do was look at it. Could not pay a Bill. Then they said they could not ID me over the phone. They took me over the normal id stuff, secret questions etc. I even offered regular transactions etc but they refused to unlock it. I had to go to a branch to be ID. Do I went and they did not want to give me cash. They would only transfer it to my new bank. Absolutely refused to give me cash. Then they wanted to charge me $4 to do it. Didn’t pay it and the money was transferred. I have had troubles with them locking it before so had enough. But could not get cash. So now I use cash everywhere and have been told in Woolies, Cole’s and target that by the end of next year they will be very unlikely to accept any cash. Not happy!!!
AS ABOVE ... I HAVE HAD SIMILAR AND AGREE WITH YOU WHOLEHEARTEDLY

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

I definitely do not agree with going cashless. Cash is written into our constitution and every person should have the choice to pay in which ever way they like.