Are you ready for a cashless society? How Coles' latest change will affect your shopping routine

Australia seems like it’s quickly sprinting towards becoming a cashless society.

In fact, it feels like we are just a step away from fully embracing card-based and digital payments. For better or for worse, the days of our beloved coins and notes seem to be dwindling.

In an intriguing new development, supermarket giant Coles is leading the race to cashless transactions, much to the frustration of many customers.

The supermarket has faced significant backlash over the launch of a new store in Brisbane with a key difference.

shutterstock_2097992941.jpg
Coles’ new store in Brisbane accepts cards only as a source of payment. Image source: Shutterstock.

Do you remember the joy of handling cash, making sure you had the right number of notes and coins for exact change? Well, it seems that era might be winding down. In this new Coles store, there might be no place for those who prefer to pay for their goods with cash.

The new store features a row of self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, they all strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

'The new Coles, no cash machines at all,' the person filming laments incredulously. These words sparked a slew of contentious debates, even triggering calls for boycotting shops that no longer accept cash.

'Everyone needs to only use cash. If they don't accept cash, then don't buy from them,' one impassioned customer responded.

Another vehemently advised, 'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.'

There's more to this moving away from cash than just the convenience of card payments, though. Several pointed out that Coles' march towards self-serve checkouts spells bad news for potential jobseekers, threatening employment in an already competitive market.

The trend does have its fair share of defenders, however, with many accepting the inevitability of a cashless society.

One person commented, ‘Cash is going. Get used to it. Cash, unfortunately, is mostly used by criminals and tax cheats. More and more businesses are declining to do cash transactions.'

Meanwhile, Coles responded to the video by stating that there are still options for customers who prefer to pay with cash in all their stores.

Coles isn’t the first supermarket chain to attempt a venture into cashless transactions. In 2021, Woolworths rolled out a trial for cashless supermarkets but faced significant resistance, leading to the trial's abandonment. The move was branded as an effort to make shopping as seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers.

Ultimately, customers' preference for cash was overwhelming. 'Cash is legal tender, and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere,' one customer wrote defiantly on Woolworths' Facebook page.

The verdict on whether Australia is ready to let go of cash is still open to debate.
While it's true the Reserve Bank estimated just 13% of transactions in late 2022 were in cash, critics argue this push towards cashless transactions could be detrimental to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on physical cash.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles is facing customer backlash over a new store in Brisbane where the self-checkout machines do not accept cash, sparking a call to boycott similar shops.
  • Despite the move towards cashless checkout, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that there are still cash payment options in all stores, and there are no completely cashless stores yet.
  • Woolworths abandoned a trial of cashless supermarkets in 2021 due to fierce resistance from customers who still prefer cash transactions.
  • As Australia moves towards becoming a cashless society, critics warn that the decline in the use of cash and physical bank branches could cause significant harm to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on these services.

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
It’s real and people need to get their heads out of the sandr

This is what the ONE World ORDER is all about,people need to get their head out of the sand, WAKE Up AUSTRALIA,its coming quicker than you realise, you will lose all your freedoms and be controlled by the UN, WEF, WHO , the WEF have stated cash will be out by 2025 , and you will be wearing uniforms,not fashion, if this doesn’t send chills down your spine nothing will.what does it take for people to understand what’s coming ,Gates has said they need to get rid of the useless eaters ,so are you going to be on their radar?
You can't even get the name of your ridiculous conspiracy theory correct. 🙄😂😂😂
It's supposed to be New World Order.

In the days when EFTPOS attracted a surcharge, I couldn't understand why people would purchase, say, a packet of chewing gum by itself and pay by card.

More money than sense.
When was that?

I have used EFTPOS since it first started and never paid a surcharge.

When was that?

Still fairly common with credit cards - only came across it yesterday at a bakery and a honey stall. Percentage charge for using a card.

One tactic for these cash only supermarkets would be for shoppers to load up a trolley, go to checkout, tell the gatekeeper you only have cash and them leave them with the trolley!

Oooh I just remembered.
Hubby and I went for a country drive a couple of weeks ago. We like road side stalls and always look for fresh veggies, eggs, honey, etc.
Pulled in to a little cabin that was built for the farm stall. Very much Little House on the Prairie and lots of products on the shelves. Not a soul to be seen. There was a tin on the wall for cash, and, while we were in there a hi-viz clothed road worker popped in, bagged a fair bit of fresh produce and went to the computer screen on the table, clicked everything he wanted, then paid on the screen with EFTPOS.
This was in the middle of nowhere and we were impressed in the trust being placed on buyers adhering to the honour system, until we saw the surveillance cameras inside and outside. The only thing missing was a patrol of chooks wearing SWAT gear roaming around the fence.
Mind you, the eggs and veggies were yummo. We put our cash in the tin by the way. It didn't feel right any other way.

When was that?

For the hundredth time, there is a difference between tapping a card and inserting a card in the EFTPOS gadget.

Even if a card is a debit card, if it is through Master or Visacard, it will go through those systems and may attract a fee unless you insert it and select cash.

I do not believe in paying fees for the convenience of paying by card and I check if there is a signe that says that Master and Visacard transactions attract a fee. If so, I use the "cash" transaction as stated above.

Two things -- since when was handling cash to pay a bill a "joy", and whereabouts is the cashless store so I'll know not to go there? Or is that second question an invasion of privacy in these PC/woke days?

• Haha
Reactions: Tervueren
This is a disgraceful thing to do. Computers go down, Banks also go down to do their updates, AND it opens up an access for SCAMMERS etc... The incentives shops give you people, they can ACCESS ALL of YOUR details such as where you live, What you do, What Bank accounts you have etc. The list goes on such as a lot more people will be UNEMPLOYED, the Farmers will NOT get enough for them to live on and because they live mostly a distance from the amenities city people have. There will be less access for them to be able to enjoy the life they enjoy. I worked on Computers in Canberra they were first introduced in the Seventies. They were then designed for Businesses for their FINANCIAL and Business records. That is how I wish it had stayed because we would not have the problems we have today of peoples' identities, bank details etc. being available WORLDWIDE to SCAMMERS and other undesirables around the world. Keep up the fight for CASH usage and NOT CASHLESS. I use cash as much as I can. I also offer Tradies Cash and the price comes down because they do not have to worry about CARDS being short and they have to chase that client for their money. KEEP this protest going because you have to think about your Children, Grandchildren, et. what will happen in the years to come.

This is a disgraceful thing to do. Computers go down, Banks also go down to do their updates, AND it opens up an access for SCAMMERS etc... The incentives shops give you people, they can ACCESS ALL of YOUR details such as where you live, What you do, What Bank accounts you have etc. The list goes on such as a lot more people will be UNEMPLOYED, the Farmers will NOT get enough for them to live on and because they live mostly a distance from the amenities city people have. There will be less access for them to be able to enjoy the life they enjoy. I worked on Computers in Canberra they were first introduced in the Seventies. They were then designed for Businesses for their FINANCIAL and Business records. That is how I wish it had stayed because we would not have the problems we have today of peoples' identities, bank details etc. being available WORLDWIDE to SCAMMERS and other undesirables around the world. Keep up the fight for CASH usage and NOT CASHLESS. I use cash as much as I can. I also offer Tradies Cash and the price comes down because they do not have to worry about CARDS being short and they have to chase that client for their money. KEEP this protest going because you have to think about your Children, Grandchildren, et. what will happen in the years to come.
A price reduction by "Tradies" is NOT the worry of Card usage, it is to avoid Tax, which, by the way, is illegal.

A few years ago when they had the Lithgow floods and it effected my in-laws in Ballina (south of Lithgow) they had no ATM's, the shops could only take cash because EFTPOS would not work, while they had electricity which was off and on they could work registers so it was hit and miss when you shopped and if they were open. So the reality was that all cards were useless and cash was it if you needed to buy anything and getting access to it was a problem unless you had it on you already.

Reactions: Observer
It's a lost cause........our kids and grandkids will have to learn to live with it.

A price reduction by "Tradies" is NOT the worry of Card usage, it is to avoid Tax, which, by the way, is illegal.
Just because you pay them cash does not mean they are not going to pay tax on it, but they don't have to pay the bank charges for the card transaction.

Reactions: Observer
Only if you tap and go.
If you insert the card, select your account, put in your pin, there will be no surcharge fee.
Quite a few places are like that if you take the time to look.
No surcharges for me if I can help it.
Don't use any cards for daily expenses..... only for fixed expenses.
VODAFONE is the only fly in the ointment and I've found a war around that.