Are you ready for a cashless society? How Coles' latest change will affect your shopping routine

Australia seems like it’s quickly sprinting towards becoming a cashless society.

In fact, it feels like we are just a step away from fully embracing card-based and digital payments. For better or for worse, the days of our beloved coins and notes seem to be dwindling.

In an intriguing new development, supermarket giant Coles is leading the race to cashless transactions, much to the frustration of many customers.

The supermarket has faced significant backlash over the launch of a new store in Brisbane with a key difference.

shutterstock_2097992941.jpg
Coles’ new store in Brisbane accepts cards only as a source of payment. Image source: Shutterstock.

Do you remember the joy of handling cash, making sure you had the right number of notes and coins for exact change? Well, it seems that era might be winding down. In this new Coles store, there might be no place for those who prefer to pay for their goods with cash.

The new store features a row of self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, they all strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

'The new Coles, no cash machines at all,' the person filming laments incredulously. These words sparked a slew of contentious debates, even triggering calls for boycotting shops that no longer accept cash.

'Everyone needs to only use cash. If they don't accept cash, then don't buy from them,' one impassioned customer responded.

Another vehemently advised, 'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.'

There's more to this moving away from cash than just the convenience of card payments, though. Several pointed out that Coles' march towards self-serve checkouts spells bad news for potential jobseekers, threatening employment in an already competitive market.

The trend does have its fair share of defenders, however, with many accepting the inevitability of a cashless society.

One person commented, ‘Cash is going. Get used to it. Cash, unfortunately, is mostly used by criminals and tax cheats. More and more businesses are declining to do cash transactions.'

Meanwhile, Coles responded to the video by stating that there are still options for customers who prefer to pay with cash in all their stores.

Coles isn’t the first supermarket chain to attempt a venture into cashless transactions. In 2021, Woolworths rolled out a trial for cashless supermarkets but faced significant resistance, leading to the trial's abandonment. The move was branded as an effort to make shopping as seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers.

Ultimately, customers' preference for cash was overwhelming. 'Cash is legal tender, and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere,' one customer wrote defiantly on Woolworths' Facebook page.

The verdict on whether Australia is ready to let go of cash is still open to debate.
While it's true the Reserve Bank estimated just 13% of transactions in late 2022 were in cash, critics argue this push towards cashless transactions could be detrimental to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on physical cash.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles is facing customer backlash over a new store in Brisbane where the self-checkout machines do not accept cash, sparking a call to boycott similar shops.
  • Despite the move towards cashless checkout, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that there are still cash payment options in all stores, and there are no completely cashless stores yet.
  • Woolworths abandoned a trial of cashless supermarkets in 2021 due to fierce resistance from customers who still prefer cash transactions.
  • As Australia moves towards becoming a cashless society, critics warn that the decline in the use of cash and physical bank branches could cause significant harm to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on these services.

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section below.

Sponsored
As a retired bank manager, I find this move away from cash - and removal of cash from bank branches - quite bizarre. Cash is still legal tender and should be accepted by all businesses. Apart from supermarkets inconveniencing customers, a forgotten fact in banking is that, if a bank cannot provide the cash you require, it is obliged to provide a bank cheque for the amount free of charge.
You must have been retired from banking for a very, very long time!

"No power, no money, no shopping, no nothing. So much for a cashless society."

What did you need cash for when you could not do any shopping because of the flood?????
What rock do you live under, what do you think they flew cash in for, der. Shops were accepting cash. not all shops were flooded, but power was out everywhere.

Just a couple of thoughts -

This is an "old farts" club for people over 60 years of age and it would be reasonable to expect that the people running this website would be in a similar age group. Has anyone ever looked at their profiles?

I remember that when I was in my 30s I was of the opinion that anyone over 50 was a worn out old fossil and their opinions were so outdated that I simply ignored them altogether. The people behind this website all fall into the 30s to 40s age group and I am sure they are having a ball reading a lot of the reactions from us old fossils, such as "I insist on using cash", I won't use a self serve check-out", "it's all a government conspiracy", "pay us more pension and don't give any money to the unemployed" etc, etc.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, I don't remember when I last used cash when shopping, it must have been sometime in the mid-70s. My salary was being paid by cheque then and this meant a trip to the bank every second week to deposit the cheque, luckily, payroll cheques used to be exempt from the waiting periods that cheques are subject to.

Back then I was using cheques for my purchases and a bloody pain in the rear they used to be when you had to line up at the service counter to get your cheque approved before you could pay for your groceries! Also, who remembers that there used to be stamp duty on each cheque which had to be paid up-front when ordering a cheque book?

Also in the mid-70s we got the Bankcard, which was a credit card that was valid in only in Australia, and I was doing the bulk of my purchases with it, exept for groceries as we were not allowed to use a credit card for groceries (no government control back then...).

I guess I have not really used much in the way of cash for at least 50 years and I know that I am not the only one.
Geez, I remember paying that stamp duty when I worked. Plus, had to pay attention to cheques, to see if anyone fudged the amount with their hand writing.
I have no issues using my card/online banking. However, I do have a grievance with businesses loading a % charge if I pay with a credit card. Of course the banks' charge businesses. However, most businesses charge customers higher than the bank's fee. I don't do this often though, and certainly not with everyday shopping. The majority of older people have been used to cash most of their lives. My 89yr mother is fine using a card. She uses phone banking to pay bills/check her account balance. She's adapted. Some of her home Aged Care plans ie. mowing, garden work require a cash payment on the day. I guess this will have to change, if we all become cashless.

Reactions: Jaleah and Trudi
CASH is Legal Tender, we should be able to complain to the ACCC or someone, when a business refuses to accept Legal Tender to pay for goods. The French got it right with 50 people at a time leaving trolleyloads of goods at the checkout. We need to get organised ! And If COLES don't have enough manned checkouts open, just dump the trolleys . It's our money, WE decide how to pay it, NOT COLES !!!

• Haha
Reactions: Jaleah and Trudi
Australia seems like it’s quickly sprinting towards becoming a cashless society.

In fact, it feels like we are just a step away from fully embracing card-based and digital payments. For better or for worse, the days of our beloved coins and notes seem to be dwindling.

In an intriguing new development, supermarket giant Coles is leading the race to cashless transactions, much to the frustration of many customers.

The supermarket has faced significant backlash over the launch of a new store in Brisbane with a key difference.

View attachment 29142
Coles’ new store in Brisbane accepts cards only as a source of payment. Image source: Shutterstock.

Do you remember the joy of handling cash, making sure you had the right number of notes and coins for exact change? Well, it seems that era might be winding down. In this new Coles store, there might be no place for those who prefer to pay for their goods with cash.

The new store features a row of self-service checkout machines that have left many customers flabbergasted. Why, you might ask? Well, they all strictly say 'card only'.

A video showcasing these cashless machines quickly found its way to social media, fanning the flames of debate about the rapid movement towards a cashless society.

'The new Coles, no cash machines at all,' the person filming laments incredulously. These words sparked a slew of contentious debates, even triggering calls for boycotting shops that no longer accept cash.

'Everyone needs to only use cash. If they don't accept cash, then don't buy from them,' one impassioned customer responded.

Another vehemently advised, 'Everyone needs to leave the groceries at the checkout and walk off.'

There's more to this moving away from cash than just the convenience of card payments, though. Several pointed out that Coles' march towards self-serve checkouts spells bad news for potential jobseekers, threatening employment in an already competitive market.

The trend does have its fair share of defenders, however, with many accepting the inevitability of a cashless society.

One person commented, ‘Cash is going. Get used to it. Cash, unfortunately, is mostly used by criminals and tax cheats. More and more businesses are declining to do cash transactions.'

Meanwhile, Coles responded to the video by stating that there are still options for customers who prefer to pay with cash in all their stores.

Coles isn’t the first supermarket chain to attempt a venture into cashless transactions. In 2021, Woolworths rolled out a trial for cashless supermarkets but faced significant resistance, leading to the trial's abandonment. The move was branded as an effort to make shopping as seamless as possible for busy inner-city customers.

Ultimately, customers' preference for cash was overwhelming. 'Cash is legal tender, and I do not support the cash ban and will take my money elsewhere,' one customer wrote defiantly on Woolworths' Facebook page.

The verdict on whether Australia is ready to let go of cash is still open to debate.
While it's true the Reserve Bank estimated just 13% of transactions in late 2022 were in cash, critics argue this push towards cashless transactions could be detrimental to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on physical cash.

Key Takeaways

• Coles is facing customer backlash over a new store in Brisbane where the self-checkout machines do not accept cash, sparking a call to boycott similar shops.
  • Despite the move towards cashless checkout, a Coles spokesperson confirmed that there are still cash payment options in all stores, and there are no completely cashless stores yet.
  • Woolworths abandoned a trial of cashless supermarkets in 2021 due to fierce resistance from customers who still prefer cash transactions.
  • As Australia moves towards becoming a cashless society, critics warn that the decline in the use of cash and physical bank branches could cause significant harm to older people and those with disabilities who still rely on these services.

What do you think of this move by Coles, members? We’d love to read your thoughts in the comments section below.
I think we should be able to use both, I sometimes pay with cash, bet the banks will try and money grab and put charges on your card 🙄

Reactions: Chicky
The only way to stop this cashless society is for all to get on board and only use cash, however that isn't going to happen because the past few generations and our future ones think its just as easy to fip out the card and pass it over the machine and hey presto it's paid for. All we can do for those of us who like cash is to keep using it.
Yes that is the best thing to do pay cash wherever u can!

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Chicky

View attachment 29142

Key Takeaways

I for one don't like it, I have had my card scamed. They can't scam cash.

Reactions: Go Cats
this folks is part and parcel of the New World Order coming our way in various formats in the near future as a way of gaining further control of our lives and providing greater profits for the perpetrators of this policy. There is going to be more challenging times ahead so be prepared for changes to our lives in the future.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
The larger supermarkets and variety stores have had card only self service for quite some time now. The move to a cashless economy will kill of the single person secod hand trade and flea markets, therefore the cost of livin\g will be under more pressure. But a cashless society does not stop there with other service providers going to Direct Debit method of payments only. They will not accept BPAY or certain credit cards but payments from two types of card only. Who then controls your finances You or a Company?
so true

I object to being called a "cashed up wanker". I have worked hard my whole life, I have lived frugally, I was a single mum of 3 and I embraced change at every turn. Living in extremely remote locations technology made this so much easier because when you were cut off during the wet the cash could not make it into the areas to replenish ATMs therefore cash was simply not available..no banks out there. I know exactly how much I spend and have never had the message insufficient funds. Please keep your arrogant slurs to yourself and out of your opinions
OK then...

....cashed up wanker.

I absolutely hate the idea of a cashless society. If Coles goes cashless, I will boycott them. Cash is legal currency in Australia. .

• Haha
Until EPTPOS machines and card only checkouts supply a receipt with an account balance on them, I refuse to use them.

Unless you're a cashed up wanker, paying by card is fraught with danger. You spend various amounts at various retail outlets by card without any track of your rapidly diminishing bank balance. Your last transaction may be met with the message "insufficient funds - contact your financial institution". How embarrassing!
EFTPOS and card-only checkouts DO supply a printed receipt. You are asked if you want a printed receipt. Look properly at the screen!

I definitely do not agree with going cashless. Cash is written into our constitution and every person should have the choice to pay in which ever way they like.
Interesting. But incorrect. Both the Reserve Bank Act (1959) Section 36(1) and the Currency Act (1965) Section 16 both state the way in which currency is used in this country. These acts are enshrined in legislation. No reference to cash, currency or legal tender is made in the Australian Constitution, which is a set of rules, or principles by which Australia is governed.

ADDN: The only reference to cash made in the Australian Constitution is in Sections 51 and 115. Both are very vague.

Section 51 states "The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:
(xii) currency, coinage, and legal tender.

And;

Section 115 states "A State shall not coin money, nor make anything but gold and silver coin a legal tender in payment of debts."

Last edited:
With an account balance? Sorry...NUP!
I can just imagine the outcry if supermarket receipts (other than from your own bank's ATM) showed you the balance of your account! Now that would be an invasion of privacy!

As I have said previously, I can check my balance by accessing my bank details on my mobile phone.

I realise that you apparently use your phone for calls only as you hinted in a previous post, but I use it for a multitude of things, such as reading emails when I don't have access to my computer, texting, checking the weather, turning lights on and off in my home via Google, checking my bank details, do my shopping lists, taking photos, etc

Reactions: Veggiepatch
What rock do you live under, what do you think they flew cash in for, der. Shops were accepting cash. not all shops were flooded, but power was out everywhere.
Perhaps you need to word your posts more carefully! This is what you originally said:

"I also live in a remote location where we had four days without power one of many outages. No power, no money, no shopping, no nothing. So much for a cashless society."

You had no power for four days, hence there was no money, NO SHOPPING, no nothing.

1) If you could not do any shopping because the power was out EVERYWHERE, what did you need ash for?

2) when you say "no nothing" you actually say "something" - two negatives negate each other.

I can just imagine the outcry if supermarket receipts (other than from your own bank's ATM) showed you the balance of your account! Now that would be an invasion of privacy!

As I have said previously, I can check my balance by accessing my bank details on my mobile phone.

I realise that you apparently use your phone for calls only as you hinted in a previous post, but I use it for a multitude of things, such as reading emails when I don't have access to my computer, texting, checking the weather, turning lights on and off in my home via Google, checking my bank details, do my shopping lists, taking photos, etc
During the period that I didn't have a laptop, I did use my phone to read and reply to important SMSs and emails, check my bank balance and use the internet for purposes such as researching and being on SDC and other platforms. Admittedly, it was a damn pain in the butt. When appropriate, I used the local library computers to perform these tasks. But that was restricted by time limits and opening hours.

Perhaps you need to word your posts more carefully! This is what you originally said:

"I also live in a remote location where we had four days without power one of many outages. No power, no money, no shopping, no nothing. So much for a cashless society."

You had no power for four days, hence there was no money, NO SHOPPING, no nothing.

1) If you could not do any shopping because the power was out EVERYWHERE, what did you need ash for?

2) when you say "no nothing" you actually say "something" - two negatives negate each other.
Geez...you're approaching my level of "technicality"! 😁

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Tervueren
Interesting. But incorrect. Both the Reserve Bank Act (1959) Section 36(1) and the Currency Act (1965) Section 16 both state the way in which currency is used in this country. These acts are enshrined in legislation. No reference to cash, currency or legal tender is made in the Australian Constitution, which is a set of rules, or principles by which Australia is governed.

ADDN: The only reference to cash made in the Australian Constitution is in Sections 51 and 115. Both are very vague.

Section 51 states "The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to:
(xii) currency, coinage, and legal tender.

And;

Section 115 states "A State shall not coin money, nor make anything but gold and silver coin a legal tender in payment of debts."
I also read this. Unfortunately a merchant does not have to accept cash, but they must have a sign stating this fact.
Therefore say for example, you purchase a meal and there is nowhere that it states they do not accept cash, they have to either accept the cash or expunge your debt ( the cost of the meal).