ALDI shopper warns others to watch out for this shocking new ‘grocery scam’ – ‘That’s horrible’

While we at the Seniors Discount Club are always up for a bit of bargain hunting, especially at the supermarket, we believe in practising it ethically. Unfortunately, not everyone shares these values.

Recently, a new ‘scam’ was discovered by a shopper at their local ALDI supermarket – and it left honest customers in shock and outrage.

An ALDI customer shared her distressing observations about an ‘appalling’ new supermarket scam that she's allegedly witnessed multiple times at her local store.

Taking to a popular Facebook page for ALDI shoppers, the customer detailed her experience of seeing fraudulent customers swapping free-range eggs for ‘caged’ ones in an attempt to pay less.

egg1.jpg
The shopper uploaded photos alongside her post. Credit: Facebook

This deceitful tactic allows dishonest shoppers to take home the premium $6.49 free-range eggs at the lower ‘caged’ egg price of just $4.39.

While it might be saving them a dollar or two, this kind of behaviour is not only unethical but also illegal.

Hesitant to confront the culprits due to her own mental health, the concerned shopper asked for advice on how to address the issue with her local store.

‘It’s my second time seeing ALDI customers swap cage eggs to free range,’ she said.

egg2.jpg
The shopper asked for advice from her fellow customers. Credit: Facebook

‘I’m the type of person that’ll shy out if I were to confront them due to my mental illness. Any advice, please?’ The shopper continued.

The post caught the attention of other social media users, who encouraged her to speak to the store’s management.

Many customers were astonished by the audacity of the scammers.

One ALDI shopper expressed their disbelief, saying: ‘Imagine doing that – and only to save $1 or $2? That’s absolutely ridiculous.’

Another added: ‘To think that people would swap over a dozen eggs and risk getting caught for shoplifting? Such disgraceful behaviour.’

‘That’s dreadful. At the end of the day, it’s theft,’ one stated.

‘That is a new low. Wow,’ another wrote.

While one more added: ‘Really! That’s horrid on every level. What, people care about the welfare of hens but are not prepared to pay for it?’

‘I purchase free range. If someone had swapped my eggs for caged, I would be furious! We pay good money for them! Please, please report this!’ One furious shopper explained.

Furthermore, the scam has exposed a stark level of hypocrisy among these individuals.

While the whole idea of buying free-range eggs is to support ethical chicken farming practices, these scammers are ironically making a choice to be unethical in their actions.

As one commenter highlighted, ‘It’s so ironic. Wanting the ethical eggs so bad you’ll be completely unethical and cause someone else to take home caged eggs? Thus, defeating the purpose?!’

Another echoed the sentiment, saying, ‘Why would anyone do that? That destroys the whole purpose of eating free-range eggs when you’re only supporting the caged egg company anyways’.

‘Just appalling on every level. The hypocrisy is that they are so concerned about hens that they want free range but are happy to steal to get them. Terrible business,’ someone else responded.

‘That’s unethical. What’s the point of swapping when the mindset is unethical already? Geez. It’s probably the same as stealing in this case,’ added one more customer.

Upon learning of the scam, ALDI management issued a statement condemning the practice. They said: ‘We have CCTV active in all our stores; this behaviour is clearly not acceptable, is theft, and will be treated as such.’

It pays to always keep an eye out for such fraudulent activities in your local supermarkets. Please feel free to inform store management when something seems like it needs to be corrected.

Together, we can maintain high integrity in our shopping experiences and ensure everyone has a fair chance to enjoy the benefits of ethical choices.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI customer has spoken out about a new supermarket scam where shoppers swap eggs from a free-range carton to a pack of ‘caged’ eggs to pay a lower price.
  • The dishonest customers are believed to be taking home the premium $6.49 free-range eggs at the lower ‘caged’ egg price of just $4.39.
  • ALDI shoppers were quick to encourage the witness to speak to store management and speak out against the practice, calling it theft and disgraceful behaviour.
  • An ALDI spokesperson condemned the practice, stating that this behaviour is clearly unacceptable and will be treated as theft.
Unfortunately, scammers are becoming increasingly more creative and more brazen by the day. Have you noticed anything similar happening in your local store? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
A worker at an Aldi store? 🤣 The only workers I have ever seen are those on the checkouts. I resorted to going through the doors leading to the non-public area one day - that got someone’s attention quickly enough! As regards swapping eggs - I’m dumbfounded.
Or a checkout person, there is always a worker around the self checkouts

While we at the Seniors Discount Club are always up for a bit of bargain hunting, especially at the supermarket, we believe in practising it ethically. Unfortunately, not everyone shares these values.

Recently, a new ‘scam’ was discovered by a shopper at their local ALDI supermarket – and it left honest customers in shock and outrage.

An ALDI customer shared her distressing observations about an ‘appalling’ new supermarket scam that she's allegedly witnessed multiple times at her local store.

Taking to a popular Facebook page for ALDI shoppers, the customer detailed her experience of seeing fraudulent customers swapping free-range eggs for ‘caged’ ones in an attempt to pay less.

View attachment 21885

This deceitful tactic allows dishonest shoppers to take home the premium $6.49 free-range eggs at the lower ‘caged’ egg price of just $4.39.

While it might be saving them a dollar or two, this kind of behaviour is not only unethical but also illegal.

Hesitant to confront the culprits due to her own mental health, the concerned shopper asked for advice on how to address the issue with her local store.

‘It’s my second time seeing ALDI customers swap cage eggs to free range,’ she said.

View attachment 21886

‘I’m the type of person that’ll shy out if I were to confront them due to my mental illness. Any advice, please?’ The shopper continued.

The post caught the attention of other social media users, who encouraged her to speak to the store’s management.

One ALDI shopper expressed their disbelief, saying: ‘Imagine doing that – and only to save $1 or $2? That’s absolutely ridiculous.’

Another added: ‘To think that people would swap over a dozen eggs and risk getting caught for shoplifting? Such disgraceful behaviour.’

While one more added: ‘Really! That’s horrid on every level. What, people care about the welfare of hens but are not prepared to pay for it?’

‘I purchase free range. If someone had swapped my eggs for caged, I would be furious! We pay good money for them! Please, please report this!’ One furious shopper explained.

Furthermore, the scam has exposed a stark level of hypocrisy among these individuals.

While the whole idea of buying free-range eggs is to support ethical chicken farming practices, these scammers are ironically making a choice to be unethical in their actions.

As one commenter highlighted, ‘It’s so ironic. Wanting the ethical eggs so bad you’ll be completely unethical and cause someone else to take home caged eggs? Thus, defeating the purpose?!’

Another echoed the sentiment, saying, ‘Why would anyone do that? That destroys the whole purpose of eating free-range eggs when you’re only supporting the caged egg company anyways’.

‘Just appalling on every level. The hypocrisy is that they are so concerned about hens that they want free range but are happy to steal to get them. Terrible business,’ someone else responded.

‘That’s unethical. What’s the point of swapping when the mindset is unethical already? Geez. It’s probably the same as stealing in this case,’ added one more customer.

Upon learning of the scam, ALDI management issued a statement condemning the practice. They said: ‘We have CCTV active in all our stores; this behaviour is clearly not acceptable, is theft, and will be treated as such.’

It pays to always keep an eye out for such fraudulent activities in your local supermarkets. Please feel free to inform store management when something seems like it needs to be corrected.

Together, we can maintain high integrity in our shopping experiences and ensure everyone has a fair chance to enjoy the benefits of ethical choices.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI customer has spoken out about a new supermarket scam where shoppers swap eggs from a free-range carton to a pack of ‘caged’ eggs to pay a lower price.
  • The dishonest customers are believed to be taking home the premium $6.49 free-range eggs at the lower ‘caged’ egg price of just $4.39.
  • ALDI shoppers were quick to encourage the witness to speak to store management and speak out against the practice, calling it theft and disgraceful behaviour.
  • An ALDI spokesperson condemned the practice, stating that this behaviour is clearly unacceptable and will be treated as theft.
Unfortunately, scammers are becoming increasingly more creative and more brazen by the day. Have you noticed anything similar happening in your local store? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!
I have in all my life, never ever heard of something like this. I mean, to stand there and handle 12 eggs! to take them one by one out and put it in another carton, lol lol lol

No difference from watching people drinking flavoured milk or opening chips etc etc than dumping the half empty containers on a shelf and walking off to checkout with 1 or nothing in hot little hands. See it often but heaven forbid someone try a couple of grapes to see how sour or sweet they maybe.

View attachment 21885

View attachment 21886

Key Takeaways

I caught sons gf doing this and VERY LOUDLY condemned her action on the spot- this never deterred her as she’s from a family that would condone this practice

View attachment 21885

View attachment 21886

Key Takeaways

Unfortunately that is life today. Dirty low life scum bags
Little do they know that I already swapped the eggs before they came into the shop so that they got caged eggs anyway
Now that brings me to the point of the debacle
It is all in the imagination as there is no real way of differentiating caged from free range eggs just by looking at them
And the sad fact of the matter is just because the egg carton says free range , how do we know that the eggs are actually Free Range at all
All that matters is extra large is now the same size as normal eggs and are no bigger that all of the other eggs on the shelf where as a long time ago, an extra large was so much bigger than the others so you paid a bit extra.
You see it is all about perception and skillful advertising so scamming a few eggs to save a few dollars , is nothing more than simple uneducated stupidity

Unfortunately that is life today. Dirty low life scum bags
Little do they know that I already swapped the eggs before they came into the shop so that they got caged eggs anyway
Now that brings me to the point of the debacle
It is all in the imagination as there is no real way of differentiating caged from free range eggs just by looking at them
And the sad fact of the matter is just because the egg carton says free range , how do we know that the eggs are actually Free Range at all
All that matters is extra large is now the same size as normal eggs and are no bigger that all of the other eggs on the shelf where as a long time ago, an extra large was so much bigger than the others so you paid a bit extra.
You see it is all about perception and skillful advertising so scamming a few eggs to save a few dollars , is nothing more than simple uneducated stupidity
Except there's always a disgruntled former employee that would be telling their story on A Current Affair (as their lead story of course). I think the VAST majority of egg producers would be mindful of their business reputation and if this was to happen and they get caught the majors would drop them immediately, there goes that business model. The certification mobs do random checks of any complaints or just inspections and would very very quickly pull any certification or endorsement that we hope is the confidence shoppers look for when buy 'free range'.

View attachment 21885

View attachment 21886

Key Takeaways

It's very very disappointing that Aldi still actually allow the sale of cage eggs.

View attachment 21885

View attachment 21886

Key Takeaways

Also check the sizes of the eggs you select. Many times i have found several very small eggs in a jumbo eggs carton because someone has swapped them.😠

View attachment 21885

View attachment 21886

Key Takeaways

This and going through the boxes, selecting the largest eggs and placing them in the box they intend to purchase, this practice puts the retailer in danger of selling underweight goods

View attachment 21885

View attachment 21886

Key Takeaways

How about ALDI putting a bit of distance between caged and freerange, might work.

View attachment 21885

View attachment 21886

Key Takeaways

The last carton of eggs hubby bought came from Aldi. He's never bought eggs there before. The carton had 'Extra Large' and 'Cage Free' or words to that effect written on it. He wasn't feeling well that day, so for the first time ever, he didn't check inside to make sure none were broken.

When I opened the carton to get a couple out, they were the smallest eggs I've ever seen, and I grew up in the country where we had our own chooks. We naturally assumed that Aldi was trying to pull a fast one. Not so apparently.

How interesting that all the comments here either condemn the person doing the swapping (rightly so it is theft after all) or take a potshot at the egg producers, but no one has paid a thought for the next customer who wants the free range eggs and is prepared to pay extra for them yet will unknowingly get the cage eggs. They are left paying money for something they are not getting and don't know they are not getting and with no way to obtain reparation for the theft. This is not a victimless crime and the victim is not the store but the next customer.