Age check or checkout: ALDI cashier extends plea to shoppers over ID checks

In the bustling aisles of ALDI stores across Australia, cashiers are a blur of efficiency, renowned for their lightning-fast scanning abilities.

However, beyond the beep of the checkout, there's a critical responsibility they carry—one that could lead to 'instant termination' if neglected even once.

A Sydney-based ALDI register operator has recently reached out with a heartfelt plea to shoppers, urging understanding and cooperation in a matter that could cost them their livelihood.

The task at hand? Verifying the age of customers purchasing alcohol.

ALDI's strict policy, in line with many other Australian retailers, requires cashiers to ask for identification from anyone who appears under the age of 25.

While some customers may see this as a flattering nod to their youthful looks, others react less graciously, not realizing the high stakes involved for the employees.

compressed-shutterstock_1917907634.jpeg
An ALDI cashier reached out with a plea to shoppers when buying alcohol. Credits: Shutterstock

‘It’s grounds for instant termination if we as cashiers fail even one of these checks,’ the cashier disclosed, highlighting the pressure they face with each transaction involving alcohol.

‘As a result, I’m very cautious and I generally ID everyone who looks under 30-35 so there’s zero chance of me getting caught out and losing my job.’

ALDI confirmed the gravity of the situation, with a spokesperson emphasising the company's commitment to the Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) regulations.

The consequences of non-compliance are severe, not just for the individual employee but for the company as a whole, as they navigate the stringent laws set by the Australian federal and state governments.

The Sydney cashier expressed astonishment at the negative reactions they encountered when requesting ID.

‘It’s insane to me how p**** people get when they get IDed,’ the cashier remarked.

‘If you're under 30 and definitely under 25, there’s zero excuse to not have it on you when you buy alcohol.’

‘People of Sydney, please stop being such whiny little b****** and just have it on you if you buy alcohol!! Saves both sides of the transaction pain,’ they added.

If you've recently been requested to show your ID at ALDI, understand that it's just someone doing their job.

The community's response to this plea has been mixed.

‘People never learn to take it as a compliment,’ one customer said.

‘Also you can have your driver's license or place of address on your phone, I don’t know where the friction is.’

‘Dude, I'm 49, if you IDed me, I'd jump the counter to kiss you,’ another jokingly commented.

‘As an ALDI shopper, I’d be flattered if you asked for my ID. People that get shirty about it don’t have enough going on in their lives,’ a third agreed.

Under the Liquor Control Reform Act 1998, it's illegal to sell alcohol to anyone under 18 or for minors to purchase or receive it.

Given the difficulty of accurately gauging someone's age by appearance alone, the policy of ID checks serves as a crucial safeguard.

An ALDI spokesperson reiterated the significant penalties for selling alcohol to minors.

‘There are severe consequences and penalties for breaching the respective laws and policies set in place by the Australian federal and state governments, so we have a strong focus on compliance and ensure our teams in all licensed stores are informed on the processes and empowered to enforce them,’ the spokesperson stated.

‘As part of this, our teams are trained to check the ID of any customer who appears to look under 25 years old.’

‘Our stores have the discretion to refuse the sale of alcohol to any customer for a number of reasons listed within the regulations if they have any doubts or concerns, including if a customer cannot provide a form of accepted identification to confirm that they are over 18, regardless of whether they look under 25 years old,’ they added.

This incident sheds light on the pressures ALDI employees endure.

As the debate over customer expectations rages on, it's essential to understand the dynamics at play within the supermarket environment.

Meanwhile, amidst the hustle and bustle of the checkout lanes, an Aussie mum was left stunned by this similarly little-known ALDI checkout rule.
Key Takeaways
  • An ALDI cashier in Sydney might face 'instant termination' for failing to ID shoppers appearing under 25 years old when purchasing alcohol.
  • The cashier pleaded with customers to carry identification to avoid conflict and ensure cashiers could do their jobs safely.
  • ALDI takes the Responsible Service of Alcohol very seriously, with severe penalties for not complying with laws and regulations.
  • Customers have mixed reactions to being asked for ID, with some feeling complimented and others getting frustrated by the request.
Have you had any memorable experiences at the checkout when purchasing alcohol? Do you have any words of wisdom for younger shoppers who might feel inconvenienced by these ID checks? Share your stories and thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Everyone in Australia should know this by now. It's your fault for not having id on you. Probably have no shoes on either.
And there are places where everyone has to provide id to buy alcohol.

In Japan, the legal adult age is 20. Japanese law prohibits individuals under the age of 20 to drink alcohol or smoke, as both have serious health and social consequences.

In European countries they sell alcohol at every checkout..... they drink responsibly over there....
According to the World Health Organization, Australia and Russia have the highest prevalence of alcoholism dependence overall, with 2.61 per cent and 2.58 per cent, respectively.
US has the lowest rate of alcohol dependence with only 1.92 per cent.
1713579443715.png

In my Aldi store in Brisbane neither alcohol or cigarettes are sold. Coles and Woolies have separate alcohol stores but they sell cigarettes in the grocery stores Don't agree with that. Being a non-smoker they shouldn't sell them, but unfortunately people go to smaller stores or the black market for them. And don't get me started on people vaping, it looks horrible and more smoke? comes from them than cigarettes.

Reactions: Abby2
I have never been asked to provide ID to buy grog at any time in my life... of course being 89 accounts for that..lol

Reactions: Liz and Abby2
In my opinion Supermarkets should NOT be selling alcohol
That I know of, ALDI and Costco are the only supermarkets that you can buy alcohol in, in Australia. But they don't sell ciggies.
Yin yang, Yada Yada.