'Selfish' husband abandons wife for business class upgrade!

Travelling with a loved one should be an experience filled with shared memories and joy, especially when it's a trip as significant as a honeymoon.

A couple's post-wedding getaway took a turn for the worse, and led to a heated debate about travel etiquette for couples.

In a story posted on social media, a couple was preparing to jet off to their romantic honeymoon destination.

The wife, a seasoned traveller with frequent flyer points, hoped for possible business-class upgrades for her and her husband.

'When I booked our flights, I requested to use my points if an upgrade to business class became available, but made it clear I only wanted this upgrade if two seats became available...and then I forgot about it,' she wrote.

'Then comes the day of our flight. I was so excited about this trip; I checked in online, and all was going well. Then, when we went to the board, the employee scanning our boarding passes stopped us. She said my husband was upgraded to business class, but only him and asked if that was okay.'

compressed-pexels-josephmartin-12742855.jpeg
A newlywed wife was forced to fly economy alone after her husband left her for business class seats. Image Credit: Pexels/Joe Ambrogio

She naturally said no, as they were together for the honeymoon.

However, her husband jumped in, agreed to fly business class by himself, and used 500 of her reward points.

'I looked at him in complete shock, and he told me that I fly all the time and have been in business class before, but he hasn't. So he deserves a chance to experience it,' she recounted.

'I see we were holding up the line, so I felt I needed to agree and get on the plane. To say I am p***ed off is an understatement.'

The wife's fury was palpable as she felt abandoned at the start of what should have been a blissful journey together.

'Within maybe five to 10 minutes of sitting there, trying to hold back tears because my husband left me alone on our flight during our honeymoon—and use my points for his upgrade no less—he started texting me, saying he feels anxiety over flying,' she continued, deliberately ignoring his texts.

It wasn't until he ventured back to economy, offering a peace offering in the form of half his business class breakfast, that they finally spoke.

'I told him maybe he should have thought about that before leaving me alone before our honeymoon even really began,' she added.

Upon landing, the wife's internal struggle was evident, as she could not forgive and forget her husband's actions.

'He guilt-tripped me about not comforting him via text before taking off. Now, I wonder if I am being unreasonable and should have just let him enjoy his time in business class and ensure him it'd be okay?' she asked.

Many weighed in and overwhelmingly sided with the wife, condemning the husband's actions as selfish and unsupportive.

'Tell your husband actions have consequences, and since he wanted to be in business class without you, he gets to fly without you,' one wrote. 'The fact he did this on your honeymoon trip just makes it worse.'

'Your husband is a jerk for ditching you and then expecting you to be his support still. He wanted to be alone, so he gets to cope alone,' another commenter said.

'Your husband made a questionable decision, and he had to live with the consequences of the decision,' a third said.

'He jumped at the chance to sit alone in business class. I guess it didn't occur to him how very reliant he is on you during flying. Regardless of his phobia, he's a grown man, and he made it through take-off just fine if he asked your help when he'd already been served food.

This story raises several points, especially for couples. First, it highlights the importance of communication and mutual decision-making.

The incident also underscored the value of shared experiences, especially during life's milestones.

Honeymoons symbolise a couple's commitment to embark on life's journey together.

Furthermore, the story touches on airline upgrade policies and their impact on passengers.

While upgrades are a coveted luxury, they can create awkward situations and dilemmas.

Would we prioritise comfort over companionship?

Or would we decline the luxury of staying with our partner, even in the less glamorous confines of economy class?
Key Takeaways

• A wife was upset after her husband took a business class upgrade using her points and left her in economy during their honeymoon flight.
  • The husband accepted the upgrade despite their initial agreement to only upgrade if two seats were available.
  • The wife felt abandoned and chose not to console her anxious husband during the flight, leading to tension.
  • Many supported the wife's feelings, criticising the husband's actions and highlighting the consequences of his decision.
Have you ever been in a similar situation with your travel companion? How did you handle it, and what would you do differently? Join the conversation and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Once while visiting our oldest son overseas he said he would try and get an upgrade to first class for our journey home, when the time came there was only 1 seat to spare and I was pleased to know my wife would travelling home in comfort, her thank you was to get a first class steward to bring me a glass of red wine (Hic)

On a long haul flight my husband was ungraded leaving me in economy, not our honeymoon though. Shortly after I had taken my seat, I was asked by a flight attendant if I would move seats so that a family could sit together. I said no because my family had been separated and I explained. They managed to find me a business class seat next to my husband!!!!

He will live to regret that decision. It will come back to haunt him in every normal marital argument. Hell hath no fury, etcetera.

He should have taken his
Mother. Shows how he’s been brought up, me me me. Shows how he is ambivalent to his wife’s upset. What a tosser. I would be surprised if the marriage worked out with such a selfish self centred man.

OMG The lady has something to look forward to when they get married or she should realise that 's what her life is always going to be like. Second fiddle.

Reactions: Ezzy and marni
I am trying to decide what kind of a person this man is.
Is he a selfish, unfeeling idiot?
Or is he a mummy's boy?
My money is on mummy's boy. When my siblings and I were little, we always fought over the front seat. Then when fighting ensued, it would be wailing at 20 paces.
This BOY, wanted that front seat, but then, played the I FRIGHTENED MUMMY card.
One point I would make to any people deciding to tie the knot .... take the time to get to know who he/she really are before saying I do.

Hate to tell you what you have probably already worked out, you married a selfish shitbag. If he was any kind of man unable to rectify the problem so that you could fly together should done the right thing and put you in the correct seat. No kids involved get out now before there are, he's one selfish prat you are better off without.

Last edited:
Totally agree with all comments above. Isn't marriage suppose to be all or nothing? Her hard earned points was how this upgrade came about in the first place. I am surprised a second seat in 1st Class couldn't be made, providing a seat was available, using what appears to be leftover points together with cash. "He used 500 of her points".

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I'm a frequent flyer and love an upgrade if I can get it. Sometimes the Airline has offered me an up grade at their expense. In this case I side with the Wife. Both or nothing. He is a jerk.
If this is his selfish attitude already where do you think the next selfish act
will come from...... It beggars belief that he did that, that is so unbelievable.
My view on this is run away as fast as you can. The ink on the Marriage Certificate isn't even dry yet.

It is no disgrace to get out of this NOW
There will be many other occassions that this attitude will be shown .
Get out NOW Do not linger.