This home decor item haunts its old users: 'Don't do it!'

When it comes to home decor, we all strive to add a personal touch that reflects our interests and personalities.

Our shelves are sacred spaces for book enthusiasts where literature and trinkets coexist in harmony.

However, a recent trend has emerged that, while aesthetically pleasing, caused book lovers worldwide to issue a stern warning.

In a cautionary tale shared on social media, a user named Sarah warned everyone to steer clear of book-shaped vases.

The idea seems charming at first—a vase that blends seamlessly with the spines on your shelf, offering a fresh floral touch to your collection of classics and modern reads.

compressed-book vase.jpeg
Book vases may look appealing, but this home decor may damage some prized possessions along the way. Image Credit: TikTok/absalz

However, this decorative choice can create a nightmare scenario for your treasured tomes.

Sarah recounted how an acquaintance used one of these vases only to find a shocking sight.

'That book-shaped vase you can put in between other books will cause your books to mould if you put water or flowers in it,' she warned.

'You will lose your books; do not put water or flowers in that vase. Use bookmarks or fake flowers—don't use real flowers.'

The design of the vase itself is also a cause for concern, as overfilling could lead to a shattering disaster.

'It's too flat and thin, and there's a reason most vases for flowers are round,' a commenter wisely pointed out.

For those with book-shaped vases at home, displaying them elsewhere as a regular piece of decor—far from actual books—is recommended.

'I put a terra cotta pot on top of a book, and a year later, it had a moulded circle from the hardcover all the way and halfway in,' someone commented.

'I only put real flowers anywhere near my books once I've fully dried them and there's no more moisture,' another shared.

Thankfully, creative minds have devised alternative ways to style these vases without risking the integrity of your book collection.

'Use Lego flowers and pale blue translucent Lego studs!' one excitedly shared, which can be a great activity with grandkids.

'I was thinking fairy lights or marbles or something,' another suggested.

'I have bookmarks and some stationery in mine. So perfect,' a third wrote.

We become more attached to our possessions, especially those with sentimental value like books.

Keeping these items safe is essential—and sometimes, that means avoiding trendy decor choices.

So, before you jump on the following home decor bandwagon, consider its long-term effects on your cherished belongings.
Key Takeaways

• Sarah, a book enthusiast, warned against using book-shaped vases to keep fresh flowers due to mould buildup.
  • These vases could cause moisture-related damage to books and shatter due to their glass sides.
  • Social media users shared their experiences with mould damage when placing plants near their books, emphasising caution.
  • Alternative suggestions for safer decoration include using bookmarks, fake flowers, Lego flowers, fairy lights, or marbles.
Have you found a clever way to incorporate your hobbies into your home decor without risking damage? Share your design tips with us in the comments below!

Sponsored