Should Voluntary Assisted Dying be legal in all Australian states/territories?

• Yes (ACT and NT should legalise)

Votes: 57 85.1%
  • No (shouldn't be legal)

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Other (Will explain in comments)

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
Your Say Sunday: Legalising Voluntary Assisted Dying

Hello members!

I thought we might put our thinking hats on and tackle a contentious question this week.

Today, we're looking at 'Voluntary Assisted Dying'. Currently, while legislation has been passed in all states to allow for Voluntary Assisted Dying, it still remains illegal in the territories (ACT and NT). So the question is...

Should Voluntary Assisted Dying be legal in all Australian states/territories?

Remember to be kind and courteous to differing options. This is a place for healthy discussion.

Reactions: NotNats
Voluntary Assisted Dying is the right of every Australian citizen. Why can't it be as simple and easy as updating your "Will" or becoming an "Organ Donor". My family already fully understands about my wishes if anything happens to me. I believe your "Drivers Licence" or "Id Card" should have the letter "D" on it somewhere if you have agreed to be an organ donor. That way every time you renew your card you are also asked (tick box) if you still wish to be a "Donor" or not. And with the 'Voluntary Assisted Dying" that could be incorporated into your "Will". I also believe everyone should have a "Last Will and Testament" from the age of 16/18. This would still be done through a lawyer and must be re-verified about every 3 to 5 years. That way you can make sure your "Will" is always current as it could end up solving a lot of problems where family members are concern. But remembering, you may still may need to have extra court documents like "Power of Attorney" &/or "Enduring Guardian" if you wish someone to make choices for you if you can't. All of these legal documents would help take the emotion out of the equation if or when it is needed.

Voluntary Assisted Dying is the right of every Australian citizen. Why can't it be as simple and easy as updating your "Will" or becoming an "Organ Donor". My family already fully understands about my wishes if anything happens to me. I believe your "Drivers Licence" or "Id Card" should have letter "D" on it somewhere if you have agreed to be an organ donor. That way every time you renew your card you are also asked (tick box) if you still wish to be a "Donor" or not. And with the 'Voluntary Assisted Dying" that could be incorporated into your "Will". I also believe everyone should have a "Last Will and Testament" from the age of 16/18. This would still be done through a lawyer and must be re-verified about every 3 to 5 years. That way you can make sure your "Will" is always current as it could end up solving a lot of problems where family members are concern. But remembering, you will still may need to have extra court documents like "Power of Attorney" &/or "Enduring Guardian" if you wish someone to make choices for you if you can't. All of these legal documents would take the emotion out of the equation if or when it is needed.
This comment is totally correct and describes what we all face; our inevitable death. I have witnessed first hand, the passing of a person that every step had been taken to extend their life, when all they wanted to do was to end their pain and suffering.

Should be legal everywhere, and should be much simpler and more accessible than it is. The conditions in Queensland are far too onerous. I understand the fear of abuse by those hoping to inherit, but a person can already specify, when of sound mind and well ahead of any illness or mental deterioration, the conditions under which they don't want treatment to keep them alive. They must have their wishes verified by a doctor and a lawyer. Why shouldn't they simply be able to also specify the conditions under which they want help to die in the same manner? NotNat's idea that people must have a will from age 16/18 and update it every 3-5 years is a great idea and include your VAD wishes in your Will.

I agree with the above statements supporting the law. As a Registered Nurse who worked for many years in the aged care sector it was heartbreaking watching my residents deteriorating and unable to recognise family members or suffering ongoing pain and disability. As an individual we should always have the right to make our own choices regarding the quality of our life and death

If I, or someone else, wants to die, for whatever reason, what right does anyone else have to make the decision to keep them alive?
I have mixed feelings about this subject my concern is will it become too easy to take your own life that scares me but on the other hand I’ve had loved ones die a very slow and painful death so of course for this kind of situation I believe it would be preferable to give that person the choice it’s a very difficult subject with so many different scenarios most humans choose life so if they are choosing the alternative they must have good reason

It amazes me how people will have their pets put down rather than see them suffer, yet they will allow and watch their loved ones suffer. It definitely should be made legal and if the person is not capable of making the decision, then someone close should be able to make it on their behalf to stop the suffering.

I agree with the above statements supporting the law. As a Registered Nurse who worked for many years in the aged care sector it was heartbreaking watching my residents deteriorating and unable to recognise family members or suffering ongoing pain and disability. As an individual we should always have the right to make our own choices regarding the quality of our life and death
Totally agree

1989, a young woman aged 31yrs was almoxt screaming with back pain. It seemed that this would be a lifetime affliction. She begs my fiancee to help her acquire a chemical to cause her death. I was asked about doing this and I said NO. Why? well I believed that the pain would be resolved and she could go on living a fruitful life. 6 weeks later a doctor decided that an operation MAY help reduce the pain.
So the operation took place and with 14 days she was relieved of the pain.
I believe that VAD is a form of suicide.
To deny that fact is certainly incorrect.
Even when Local Doctors say :there is no more we can do" ... Then along come another Doctor saying he believe it is possible to reverse an affliction.. Would you still say ... Kill me? .. Would your family still say Kell Him/Her because we want his money or property?
I don't agree with the idea as it is bordering on Suicide. WHICH IS ILLEGAL .
NSW had a situation where a doctor could, at the wish of the family, end a life for another.
I know that as least one of the children did NOT agree but the doctors went ahead with it .
IT WAS WRONG. The lady could not voice her opinion and pain was NOT obvious.
There are enough states to visit for a death wish.. Forcing it on States that say NO is only trying to justify YOUR opinion.
If you have it in your state the leave other alone...let them make their own decision NT has been there and back. Why are you wanting ro force it upon them
When asked by a Doctor do you want to be resusitated?'... I reply Doctor you have signed an oath to do all in your power to keep people alive and well..... anything else is against your own oath. If another doctor asks me that question again I will force my way OUT of that hospital.

Last edited:
It amazes me how people will have their pets put down rather than see them suffer, yet they will allow and watch their loved ones suffer. It definitely should be made legal and if the person is not capable of making the decision, then someone close should be able to make it on their behalf to stop the suffering.
I totally agree, and if we let our pets suffer we would possibly be prosecuted for cruelty. If someone is really in a mind to finish their life then wouldn't it be better if they were given the right to die with dignity rather that some horrid suicide! For goodness sake give us the right to decide for ourselves.

This has so many Grey areas .

As a Christian I would not do it. In the 10 commandments it says " thou shall not kill " this is murder and suicide.
In Gods eyes murder is murder whether you kill someone else or yourself.

For me and I'm speaking only for me. Jesus suffered terribly even as he carried his Cross and I have to carry my own cross
I'm in constant pain and it's my belief in God that keeps me going

Time on earth is so short compared to eternal life. If you don't get it right in this life you won't have eternal life.

I do however believe most people do have a choice as to whether they want to end their life or not.
In saying this the person needs to be of sound mind and at least their doctor and 2 other doctors need to sign off on it plus another person of authority.

Today you can be in pain and then it can change.

I had a friend who was 10 weeks pregnant and was bleeding bad . The doctor told her there was no way the baby would be alive with that much bleeding. They put her in hospital for a curette and last minute the nurse agreed to bring in a machine to check if there was a heartbeat. And there was , to cut a story short she went full term with no further problems and gave birth to a healthy boy. If it was for this nurse , my friends baby would have been aborted.

Sometimes we don't and can't see how something we feel won't change can actually change.

If a relative or close friend decided to end their life like this, I wouldn't help them do it but I would be there with them , holding their hand and praying 🙏

Last edited:
To some extent I agree with Suzanne Rose. Also being a Christian, I firmly believe that, as God is the Giver of Life, then He also is the only One who can take it away, in His own good time, and according to His will. ‘Thou shalt not kill’ is one of the Ten Commandments that we have been given to comply with.

If resuscitation is the subject in question, then you can specify DNR in your medical wishes, and will be complied with in that event.

Suicide is killing yourself, of course, and should remain illegal.