Should Voluntary Assisted Dying be legal in all Australian states/territories?

• Yes (ACT and NT should legalise)

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • No (shouldn't be legal)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Other (Will explain in comments)

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
Voluntary Assisted Dying is the right of every Australian citizen. Why can't it be as simple and easy as updating your "Will" or becoming an "Organ Donor". My family already fully understands about my wishes if anything happens to me. I believe your "Drivers Licence" or "Id Card" should have the letter "D" on it somewhere if you have agreed to be an organ donor. That way every time you renew your card you are also asked (tick box) if you still wish to be a "Donor" or not. And with the 'Voluntary Assisted Dying" that could be incorporated into your "Will". I also believe everyone should have a "Last Will and Testament" from the age of 16/18. This would still be done through a lawyer and must be re-verified about every 3 to 5 years. That way you can make sure your "Will" is always current as it could end up solving a lot of problems where family members are concern. But remembering, you may still may need to have extra court documents like "Power of Attorney" &/or "Enduring Guardian" if you wish someone to make choices for you if you can't. All of these legal documents would help take the emotion out of the equation if or when it is needed.
I agree with your views but the only part that I disagree with is the " put it in your Will". Because your Will is read AFTER your death and therefore it is too late to put this subject into effect.

Reactions: NotNats and MJFlack
That is a very strong argument that you want to push onto others. In my opinion, we are all responsible for deciding when we want to die it seems only fair as I don't believe in life after death so I am not going against any mythical god's expectations. In fact, I want to live forever so at the moment I have no plans to end my wonderful life but if things in the health department go wrong then I would think quite differently & reassess my thinking.
@ Nana Zorak... I never mentioned anything about God .. I never mentioned anything about life after death ... I never mentioned that anyone else should be of the same opinion. PLEASE DON'T NOTE THAT I MENTIONED MY OPINION ONLY

Whatever you believe there is no right or wrong. But having been nursing for 40 years. My advice is you need to discuss what you want with the people that mean the most to you or who care for you. While you still have your faculties make sure you fill out and advanced care directive, and sign it. Only you can decide what you want and people must respect your decision. Too many times I've had families refuse to let people have pain relief because they think we're euthanising them but in reality we are trying to make them comfortable and without pain. Also make sure all your affairs are in order, Regardless of what anyone believes be an adult let adult make the decision and respect it.

To some extent I agree with Suzanne Rose. Also being a Christian, I firmly believe that, as God is the Giver of Life, then He also is the only One who can take it away, in His own good time, and according to His will. ‘Thou shalt not kill’ is one of the Ten Commandments that we have been given to comply with.

If resuscitation is the subject in question, then you can specify DNR in your medical wishes, and will be complied with in that event.

Suicide is killing yourself, of course, and should remain illegal.
Suicide may be illegal but that is not the issue , the issue is how many people cry for help and society ignores it. I think we should be respectful of everyone's belief

I agree with your views but the only part that I disagree with is the " put it in your Will". Because your Will is read AFTER your death and therefore it is too late to put this subject into effect.
What if the individual or patient does not want to be assisted to die? What if they want to fight through the pain and agony and fight the condition? And yet they have it in their will that says they are okay to have assisted suicide?

The problem would arise from the relatives who would seek in enforce the will over the will of the relative. They could seek a court order that would force the relative to be terminated against their agreement. Is this the sort of arrangement you want in place?

Assisted Suicide is nothing more than Assisted Murder. 🧬

• Angry
Reactions: NotNats
I have had the privilege of being involved with 2 people who have been able to use the VAD system to end their suffering on their terms.

The first was a friend who had terminal COPD. He had spent his final few years struggling to get around, finally needing a scooter to even go out into the fresh air on his verandah. Then for his last 14mths he was completely bedridden, barely able to eat, struggling to breath let alone hold a conversation. He was exhausted 24/7, totally reliant on others for all of his needs, wearing continence aids for his bowel and with a catheter and he felt his life had no up side to it any more. Watching him struggle to do even the smallest thing was so hard. Until I started caring for him, I didn't realise just how much effort goes into something as simple as having a drink or a small bite to eat. Using VAD gave him the opportunity to put all his affairs in order, for friends and family to say their last goodbyes and then, in the presence of his children, he took the medication and quietly and peacefully closed his eyes and passed away. This man had been a very active, healthy man for the majority of his life, so to go downhill so quickly, be reliant on medication and other people to get thru a single day was so really difficult. To be able to control this final moment in his life was such a huge relief to him. He was just short of his 70th birthday.

The second person was my own mother. For over 10yrs, she had suffered from 1st one, then another form of cancer. These cancers caused serious incontinence after growing thru the wall of her bladder, and then later, she had to have a colostomy bag after yet another cancer destroyed a section of her bowel. The ostomy would block causing vomiting and intense pain which would hospitalise her. Sometimes the blockage was such that she would actually be vomiting faeces. Can you image doing that? But if your body is blocked at one end, it has no choice but to find another exit. During this time, she also took a fall which broke her back, so yet another source of pain. Just when you think she's had more than her fair share, she was found to have yet another tumour, this one right at the site of the break in her back. This lady was incredibly strong. She would be chatting with you and you would have no idea she was in excruciating pain, but within the next half hour she would have to be taken to hospital. Some people think that using VAD is taking the easy way out, but I watched this woman do everything in her power to keep going. She was taking all the medications and painkillers her Doctors gave her and still it wasn't enough. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore and on the day she passed, she could barely lift her head off her pillow. To watch her take the medication, and less than 5mins later she was gone, was heartbreaking as her child, but at the same time, a relief knowing she would no longer be suffering. Only a few days prior, she had helped to plan her memorial service, she had written her own eulogy and put all her affairs in order. She passed knowing she was loved by her family and friends. She was just shy of 83yrs old.

We do not allow our animals to suffer, but for so long the church has told us it is God's plan for us to suffer. Yet we were given the ability to help stop our animals suffering, and now we have the same ability to end our suffering IF we so choose to do so. It should be ever person's right to pass peacefully and quickly instead of suffering for unknown periods of time. The system has only just begun and the parameters are very narrow for now, but in time, hopefully these boundaries will expand some to allow people more choice at an earlier time in their health deterioration.

Last edited:
What if the individual or patient does not want to be assisted to die? What if they want to fight through the pain and agony and fight the condition? And yet they have it in their will that says they are okay to have assisted suicide?

The problem would arise from the relatives who would seek in enforce the will over the will of the relative. They could seek a court order that would force the relative to be terminated against their agreement. Is this the sort of arrangement you want in place?

Assisted Suicide is nothing more than Assisted Murder. 🧬
You cannot access the medication for the VAD unless YOU the patient request it and are approved. Also, YOU are the person who has to take the medication only IF and or WHEN, YOU wish to take it, If YOU are not sound of mind, YOU cannot be approved, if YOU are not within roughly 6mths of a Doctor believing you would reasonable pass away anyway, YOU will not be approved, if YOU are simply in pain, YOU will not be approved. After YOU are approved by the VAD board, YOU still have to show the pharmacist that YOU are capable of taking the medication by YOURSELF before they will dispense it. Once dispensed, only 1 other person is allowed to touch the medication and that is only to mix it for YOU at YOUR request or to return it to the pharmacist if YOU choose not to use it or pass away prior to it's use.

Currently, there is no ability for family to create a situation where they control the death. If you are in the will, you cannot legally be involved, if you are a paid carer you cannot be involved, you cannot get a court order to force death on someone and if the person has any form of dementia, they are automatically ruled ineligible as they are not of sound mind.. Victoria is in it's 5th year now, since VAD was introduced and you would be surprised at the way each person manages. Some hang out as long as possible, struggling thru their pain and then apply to VAD, only to pass away before they complete the approval process. Others will take the medication as quick as they are shown how to mix the two components. While others still, will get the medication and either choose not to use it at all, or use it after sometime and things have gotten beyond bearable anymore.

Please look for my own post in this thread and you will see why I know so much about the system and it is constantly being reviewed and tweaked to ensure it is in the best interests of the person requesting it.

I have had the privilege of being involved with 2 people who have been able to use the VAD system to end their suffering on their terms.

The first was a friend who had terminal COPD. He had spent his final few years struggling to get around, finally needing a scooter to even go out into the fresh air on his verandah. Then for his last 14mths he was completely bedridden, barely able to eat, struggling to breath let alone hold a conversation. He was exhausted 24/7, totally reliant on others for all of his needs, wearing continence aids for his bowel and with a catheter and he felt his life had no up side to it any more. Watching him struggle to do even the smallest thing was so hard. Until I started caring for him, I didn't realise just how much effort goes into something as simple as having a drink or a small bite to eat. Using VAD gave him the opportunity to put all his affairs in order, for friends and family to say their last goodbyes and then, in the presence of his children, he took the medication and quietly and peacefully closed his eyes and passed away. This man had been a very active, healthy man for the majority of his life, so to go downhill so quickly, be reliant on medication and other people to get thru a single day was so really difficult. To be able to control this final moment in his life was such a huge relief to him. He was just short of his 70th birthday.

The second person was my own mother. For over 10yrs, she had suffered from 1st one, then another form of cancer. These cancers caused serious incontinence after growing thru the wall of her bladder, and then later, she had to have a colostomy bag after yet another cancer destroyed a section of her bowel. The ostomy would block causing vomiting and intense pain which would hospitalise her. Sometimes the blockage was such that she would actually be vomiting faeces. Can you image doing that? But if your body is blocked at one end, it has no choice but to find another exit. During this time, she also took a fall which broke her back, so yet another source of pain. Just when you think she's had more than her fair share, she was found to have yet another tumour, this one right at the site of the break in her back. This lady was incredibly strong. She would be chatting with you and you would have no idea she was in excruciating pain, but within the next half hour she would have to be taken to hospital. Some people think that using VAD is taking the easy way out, but I watched this woman do everything in her power to keep going. She was taking all the medications and painkillers her Doctors gave her and still it wasn't enough. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore and on the day she passed, she could barely lift her head off her pillow. To watch her take the medication, and less than 5mins later she was gone, was heartbreaking as her child, but at the same time, a relief knowing she would no longer be suffering. Only a few days prior, she had helped to plan her memorial service, she had written her own eulogy and put all her affairs in order. She passed knowing she was loved by her family and friends. She was just shy of 83yrs old.

We do not allow our animals to suffer, but for so long the church has told us it is God's plan for us to suffer. Yet we were given the ability to help stop our animals suffering, and now we have the same ability to end our suffering IF we so choose to do so. It should be ever person's right to pass peacefully and quickly instead of suffering for unknown periods of time. The system has only just begun and the parameters are very narrow for now, but in time, hopefully these boundaries will expand some to allow people more choice at an earlier time in their health deterioration.
Which "Church" or "Religion" has told people that it is God's or Allah's plan that they should suffer? 🧬

No point in putting anything into your will as it does not get read until after you die

Reactions: Cookie2013
This comment is totally correct and describes what we all face; our inevitable death. I have witnessed first hand, the passing of a person that every step had been taken to extend their life, when all they wanted to do was to end their pain and suffering.
There is a document called an Advanced Care Document which is the right place to put your Not For Resuscitation request. It has to be signed off by your GP and you must take it with you every time you go to hospital.

Personally I believe in the sanctity of all life. That every life is to be valued. As a Christian I deem the act of taking your life or the life of someone else abhorrent and wrong. We are entering a slippery slope.

Legalised Abortions
Legalised Euthanasia
Legalised Suicide

What is the world coming too if life is deemed so cheap as to make it easy to take it. Will someone defend themselves in court for murder by saying they only wanted to alleviate the victims pain? How many unwanted elderly or physically incapacitated relatives will be killed? For the convenience of those who will benefit by their deaths?
you just make sure you spend everything before dying.... I state me case of my mother who sat in a chair staring at a wall for 5 years, unable to do anything for herself and being unable to talk... that is not I wanted.......

It should legal in every state and territory in Australia..... The forcing of someone to die in agony for such a prolonged period is tantamount to premeditated torture..... We all need the right to die with dignity and any body who is against that is guilty of being a sadistic torturer
Hear hear.......

Reactions: Nana Zorak
Sorry, by adding it to your will, this can show that you have decided that this is your wishes as many people write their will 10 to 20 years beforehand. Or it could be a letter left with your lawyer showing how long this has been what you want.

Bad planning, inability to see into the future and a bad marriage or two.
Cutting down on expenses and a clear budget would help.

Whatever you believe there is no right or wrong. But having been nursing for 40 years. My advice is you need to discuss what you want with the people that mean the most to you or who care for you. While you still have your faculties make sure you fill out and advanced care directive, and sign it. Only you can decide what you want and people must respect your decision. Too many times I've had families refuse to let people have pain relief because they think we're euthanising them but in reality we are trying to make them comfortable and without pain. Also make sure all your affairs are in order, Regardless of what anyone believes be an adult let adult make the decision and respect it.
But sadly governments presume to deny people choice. And advanced care directive does not allow you to request to die in Qld unless you have a terminal illness and have been declared almost certain to die within a year. That is outrageous and disgusting. A person should be able to declare under what terms they wish to be assisted to die in the same manner they can declare on what terms they wish to be allowed to die and not revived or treated.

Reactions: IAN3005
I personally don't believe in the fairy tale that is Christianity so why do people still believe in the sanctity of life when it has become too much to bear? especially for those who also don't believe in fairy tales & are suffering & can't live life to the fullness we were meant to.