Woolworths introduces eco-friendly revamp to fruit and veg aisle

Nowadays, being environmentally friendly is a priority for many businesses and individuals alike, and major Australian supermarkets haven't been left behind.

Always on the lookout for better, greener ways to operate, major grocery stores have been implementing different strategies to reduce their energy consumption and carbon footprint.

One such supermarket leading the green charge is Woolworths, which has just confirmed a significant change to its fruit and vegetable aisles in select locations.

As part of their ongoing efforts to be more eco-friendly, Woolworths has decided to trial glass doors on its chilled fresh produce ranges, aiming to cut down on energy usage.

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 11.38.47 AM (1).png
Woolworths has installed fridges with closed doors for its fresh produce section at its Southpoint store in Brisbane. Credit: Facebook.

A recent photograph taken at Woolworths Southpoint in Brisbane showcased the innovative setup. It features a row of eight fridge doors with baskets and shelves of colourful fruit and vegetables neatly displayed behind them.

You might think of it as a grown-up version of those much-loved childhood lolly displays – except with the added benefit of being good for the environment.

A spokesperson from Woolworths explained the reasoning behind this change, stating that they are 'trialling doors on our fridges to help reduce emissions' and that this move alone can slash energy consumption by a whopping 30%.

The spokesperson continued, 'Supermarkets are energy intensive to run, and the large number of fridges needed to keep food in top condition accounts for a significant amount of our energy use. We’ve already reduced our emissions by 31% since 2015, and we’re continuing to make small but powerful changes to reduce the footprint of every store.’

‘By 2025, all our stores will run on renewable electricity. We’ve also replaced fluorescent lighting with LED lights in more than 1,000 stores, increasing energy efficiency by 35%.'

The introduction of the glass doors has been met with mixed reactions from the public. While some customers welcome the chilled ranges with open arms – or, should we say, open doors – others have expressed concern that the new setup may create congestion in stores and potentially be difficult for those with disabilities to navigate.

One individual voiced their worry by saying, 'While I get that it’s more cost-effective for the stores, it’s a lot harder for people with mobility issues and people in wheelchairs.' Another chimed in, commenting, 'It causes unnecessary aisle congestion.'

‘It’s a nightmare if you have accessibility issues. I use a cane and can’t hold the door open and grab products easily at the same time,’ a third pointed out.

However, others argue that the environmental benefits of reducing energy consumption significantly outweigh any potential inconveniences.

Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 11.38.38 AM.png
Woolworths says the move can cut energy consumption by up to 30 per cent. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

It's undeniable that Woolworths has been proactive in making their stores more eco-friendly, with refrigerant gas leakage reduction playing a key role as the company's second-largest source of emissions following electricity.

Over the past year, Woolworths has continued installing new transcritical CO2 systems, considered a better, lower-emissions option for refrigeration systems. These systems are estimated to save each store an impressive 100 tonnes of CO2e annually.

On top of that, Woolworths has installed solar panels in more than 150 supermarkets, with their rooftop solar network comprising around 80,000 panels generating enough electricity to power 6,300 Australian households.

While every major change has its pros and cons, Woolworths is undeniably taking significant steps towards a greener future, not just for their stores but also for their customers.

However, prior to Woolies implementing these changes, some ALDI customers shared that the supermarket had added large glass doors to their refrigerated shelves in their local stores.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket is trialling glass doors on its chilled fresh produce aisles at selected stores to reduce energy consumption.
  • A photograph of the new set-up was unveiled at Woolworths Southpoint in Brisbane, showing a row of fridge doors with fruit and vegetables displayed behind them.
  • The simple act of adding doors to the fridges can reportedly cut energy consumption by 30 per cent, with Woolworths aiming for all stores to run on renewable electricity by 2025.
  • Some shoppers have raised concerns about the doors, stating they may create congestion in stores and be difficult for those with disabilities to manage.

What are your thoughts on the recent change? Have you noticed the introduction of large glass doors in the fruit and vegetable aisle at your local Woolies store? Did they enhance your shopping experience or prove to be inconvenient? We'd love to hear your thoughts on this, so please feel free to share them in the comments section below!

Sponsored
The majority of the fruit in my local Woolies is not refrigerated. There is no justification for refrigerating a lot of fruit/veg. Why would you put potatoes, onions, bananas etc in a fridge? You don't do it at home so why would you want it from your grocery store? I would not buy bananas which came out of a fridge as this sends them off-colour & unpleasant to eat.

Nowadays, being environmentally friendly is a priority for many businesses and individuals alike, and major Australian supermarkets haven't been left behind.

Always on the lookout for better, greener ways to operate, major grocery stores have been implementing different strategies to reduce their energy consumption and carbon footprint.

One such supermarket leading the green charge is Woolworths, which has just confirmed a significant change to its fruit and vegetable aisles in select locations.

As part of their ongoing efforts to be more eco-friendly, Woolworths has decided to trial glass doors on its chilled fresh produce ranges, aiming to cut down on energy usage.

View attachment 21699
Woolworths has installed fridges with closed doors for its fresh produce section at its Southpoint store in Brisbane. Credit: Facebook.

A recent photograph taken at Woolworths Southpoint in Brisbane showcased the innovative setup. It features a row of eight fridge doors with baskets and shelves of colourful fruit and vegetables neatly displayed behind them.

You might think of it as a grown-up version of those much-loved childhood lolly displays – except with the added benefit of being good for the environment.

A spokesperson from Woolworths explained the reasoning behind this change, stating that they are 'trialling doors on our fridges to help reduce emissions' and that this move alone can slash energy consumption by a whopping 30%.

The spokesperson continued, 'Supermarkets are energy intensive to run, and the large number of fridges needed to keep food in top condition accounts for a significant amount of our energy use. We’ve already reduced our emissions by 31% since 2015, and we’re continuing to make small but powerful changes to reduce the footprint of every store.’

‘By 2025, all our stores will run on renewable electricity. We’ve also replaced fluorescent lighting with LED lights in more than 1,000 stores, increasing energy efficiency by 35%.'

The introduction of the glass doors has been met with mixed reactions from the public. While some customers welcome the chilled ranges with open arms – or, should we say, open doors – others have expressed concern that the new setup may create congestion in stores and potentially be difficult for those with disabilities to navigate.

One individual voiced their worry by saying, 'While I get that it’s more cost-effective for the stores, it’s a lot harder for people with mobility issues and people in wheelchairs.' Another chimed in, commenting, 'It causes unnecessary aisle congestion.'

‘It’s a nightmare if you have accessibility issues. I use a cane and can’t hold the door open and grab products easily at the same time,’ a third pointed out.

However, others argue that the environmental benefits of reducing energy consumption significantly outweigh any potential inconveniences.

View attachment 21700
Woolworths says the move can cut energy consumption by up to 30 per cent. Credit: Pexels/Anna Shvets.

It's undeniable that Woolworths has been proactive in making their stores more eco-friendly, with refrigerant gas leakage reduction playing a key role as the company's second-largest source of emissions following electricity.

Over the past year, Woolworths has continued installing new transcritical CO2 systems, considered a better, lower-emissions option for refrigeration systems. These systems are estimated to save each store an impressive 100 tonnes of CO2e annually.

On top of that, Woolworths has installed solar panels in more than 150 supermarkets, with their rooftop solar network comprising around 80,000 panels generating enough electricity to power 6,300 Australian households.

While every major change has its pros and cons, Woolworths is undeniably taking significant steps towards a greener future, not just for their stores but also for their customers.

However, prior to Woolies implementing these changes, some ALDI customers shared that the supermarket had added large glass doors to their refrigerated shelves in their local stores.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths supermarket is trialling glass doors on its chilled fresh produce aisles at selected stores to reduce energy consumption.
  • A photograph of the new set-up was unveiled at Woolworths Southpoint in Brisbane, showing a row of fridge doors with fruit and vegetables displayed behind them.
  • The simple act of adding doors to the fridges can reportedly cut energy consumption by 30 per cent, with Woolworths aiming for all stores to run on renewable electricity by 2025.
  • Some shoppers have raised concerns about the doors, stating they may create congestion in stores and be difficult for those with disabilities to manage.

What are your thoughts on the recent change? Have you noticed the introduction of large glass doors in the fruit and vegetable aisle at your local Woolies store? Did they enhance your shopping experience or prove to be inconvenient? We'd love to hear your thoughts on this, so please feel free to share them in the comments section below!
This problem can be easy fixed by the big supermarkets. Employee extra staff to help these people to walk around and shop in store at NO EXTRA COST. But sadly, we know that this will never happen.

Shopping in any store with fruit and veges behind glass doors would be extremely difficult for me. I use a mobility scooter when shopping, it is the only way I can get around the stores, it's hard enough when I have to get products from high or very low shelves, I have to find a customer service person to assist me.

This problem can be easy fixed by the big supermarkets. Employee extra staff to help these people to walk around and shop in store at NO EXTRA COST. But sadly, we know that this will never happen.
I do not want staff walking around the store choosing my groceries for me. If I wanted that I could shop on-line. I like to view &, in some cases, touch my fruit before putting it in a bag.
This would also further remove the independence of seniors (& those with a physical disability) which is demoralising & depressing. We need to keep our seniors independent for as long as possible & for many of us being able to do our own shopping is a big plus in our independence.

I suppose it may stop people picking up fruit and vegies to check them for mould, rot, water content etc.\. As noted by others, much fruit and vegies do not need refrigeration.

Oh; I suppose our so-customer friendly supermarkets are going to pass on their profits from saving energy to the customer, so that we may expect prices to fall dramatically.

View attachment 21699

View attachment 21700

Key Takeaways

All a mobility-limited customer need do when trying to get goods out of fridges or from high shelves is to ask another customer. Only a lowlife would refuse such a request.

The majority of the fruit in my local Woolies is not refrigerated. There is no justification for refrigerating a lot of fruit/veg. Why would you put potatoes, onions, bananas etc in a fridge? You don't do it at home so why would you want it from your grocery store? I would not buy bananas which came out of a fridge as this sends them off-colour & unpleasant to eat.
What makes you think those items would be refrigerated in the store? I could not see these in the photo shown, though l do realise the whole section was not shown. Oranges were shown on an open shelf in a second photo too.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
I wonder how many members who have spoken negatively about this change have actually seen or even tried removing vegies from this type of cooler.

Reactions: Loubeauxarts
Could be a good idea if they have a staff member standing there to help people who can't reach things on a higher shelf.

Responses to this article remind me of the old truism: 'You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.'
Amusing to see how many people get their knickers in a twist over anything and everything 😁

Reactions: Wandiwa
I've been in one of these stores, and they are just painful. Everything has condensation on it making it harder to hang onto to.
That won't end well, considering everything goes in paper bags at the checkout.