ALDI's new change to their chilled section has shoppers talking – Did you notice?

Even when navigating your local supermarket becomes a tiresome and precarious task, you eventually become used to the layout of the shop – from the dairy aisle to the canned goods and frozen sections.

So, it comes as no surprise that when changes happen to your local store, you’ll feel a little lost.

Case in point: ALDI has recently made a major change to the chilled food section of certain stores, leaving shoppers divided over its impact.

It's amazing how a single change to a store can create so much discussion.

It all started when one customer shared a photo of their local ALDI store in North Rocks. The post revealed that large glass doors had been added to the supermarket's refrigerated shelves.

As it turns out, this is not an isolated incident. In fact, several ALDI fans from across Australia have revealed that their stores had also overhauled their chilled section with the same set-up.

But this recent initiative has sent ALDI customers into a heated discussion about accessibility and mobility issues.

aldi1.jpg
ALDI customers noticed the changes in select stores. Credit: ALDI Australia

According to a spokesperson for the retailer, ALDI is trialling the set-up in selected stores in a bid to cut energy consumption and costs.

The spokesperson said: ‘ALDI is trialling how we can reduce our energy footprint by installing fridge doors in a select number of stores across NSW.’

They added that international trials have been successful so far. They were able to prove how the doors in their chilled sections have ‘the potential’ to cut energy consumption significantly.

‘In June 2021, ALDI became the first Australian supermarket to be powered by 100 per cent renewable electricity, and we are continuously looking for ways to reduce emissions and our impact on the climate. It’s one of the many ways we’re working to make a big difference in our operations,’ the spokesperson added.

However, this decision prompted mixed reactions from customers on social media.

Many welcomed the initiative, saying that because of the ‘energy efficient’ doors, the temperatures in stores would also go down.

aldi2.jpg
A close-up of the new doors was shared on social media. Credit: Facebook

‘Great! So glad to see stores putting doors back on fridges. So much energy is wasted without doors,’ one stated.

Another commented: ‘Well done, ALDI! Much more energy efficient!’

‘I hope this will make the stores less cold now. I always get this anxiety whenever I plan to go ALDI if I wore enough layers, even in summer,’ someone else replied.

A fourth replied: ‘This is great for conserving energy and increasing energy efficiency! Love it.’

While one social media user said it was ‘about time’ the change occurred.

‘Coming from Europe, the freezing temperatures in Australian supermarkets due to the open fridges were kind of a culture shock from an energy efficiency perspective,’ they added.

However, others brought up a concerning issue, saying that the new change would cause ‘congestion’ in stores. Some were opposed to it because customers with mobility issues would encounter issues with its accessibility.

‘Our ALDI is like this too (Penrith), but it’s a nightmare if you have accessibility issues. I use a cane and can’t hold the door open and grab products easily at the same time,’ one pointed out.

Someone agreed and commented: ‘While I get that it’s more cost-effective for the stores. It’s a lot harder for people with mobility issues and people in wheelchairs.’

Another social media user said they were ‘not a fan’ of the new initiative.

‘You get someone opening the door, and they can’t decide if they want the $9.30 or $9.25 chops, and you then have to wait for them. Where you could usually just grab around the person and move on,’ they explained.

‘Not a fan of this set-up. It causes unnecessary aisle congestion,’ one declared.

Someone agreed and said that the new set-up would be ‘tricky’ for people shopping with trolleys and ‘people who are oblivious’.

Other ALDI shoppers were more disappointed to see the divided reactions.

‘Stop complaining - it’s no different to Coles and Woolworths and is more efficient in keeping products refrigerated,’ one wrote before adding that some people will ‘complain about anything’.

‘I just love shopping at ALDI,’ the shopper added.

‘People whinge about germs and having to open doors. People whinge about the environment. Can’t win,’ someone else replied.
Key Takeaways
  • ALDI is trialling large glass doors in front of the refrigerated shelves at selected stores in an effort to cut energy consumption.
  • Mixed reactions from customers on social media, with some praising the energy efficiency while others express concerns about congestion and accessibility issues.
  • ALDI became the first Australian supermarket to be powered by 100 per cent renewable electricity in June 2021 and is continuously looking for ways to reduce emissions and environmental impact.
  • ALDI spokesperson states that the supermarket is evaluating how installing doors in chiller sections can potentially cut energy consumption considerably.
Want to read more about ALDI? One mum discovered a ‘little-known’ and frustrating checkout rule at ALDI. According to her, she put a bottle of wine on the conveyor belt at the checkout, and when it moved, one of her children put his hand to stop it from rolling further. However, this innocent act forced the cashier to….You can read the rest of the story here.

What do you think about ALDI’s new chilled section? Have you seen the new installation at your local store? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
Even when navigating your local supermarket becomes a tiresome and precarious task, you eventually become used to the layout of the shop – from the dairy aisle to the canned goods and frozen sections.

So, it comes as no surprise that when changes happen to your local store, you’ll feel a little lost.

Case in point: ALDI has recently made a major change to the chilled food section of certain stores, leaving shoppers divided over its impact.

It all started when one customer shared a photo of their local ALDI store in North Rocks. The post revealed that large glass doors had been added to the supermarket's refrigerated shelves.

As it turns out, this is not an isolated incident. In fact, several ALDI fans from across Australia have revealed that their stores had also overhauled their chilled section with the same set-up.

But this recent initiative has sent ALDI customers into a heated discussion about accessibility and mobility issues.

View attachment 18427

According to a spokesperson for the retailer, ALDI is trialling the set-up in selected stores in a bid to cut energy consumption and costs.

The spokesperson said: ‘ALDI is trialling how we can reduce our energy footprint by installing fridge doors in a select number of stores across NSW.’

They added that international trials have been successful so far. They were able to prove how the doors in their chilled sections have ‘the potential’ to cut energy consumption significantly.

‘In June 2021, ALDI became the first Australian supermarket to be powered by 100 per cent renewable electricity, and we are continuously looking for ways to reduce emissions and our impact on the climate. It’s one of the many ways we’re working to make a big difference in our operations,’ the spokesperson added.

Many welcomed the initiative, saying that because of the ‘energy efficient’ doors, the temperatures in stores would also go down.

View attachment 18428

‘Great! So glad to see stores putting doors back on fridges. So much energy is wasted without doors,’ one stated.

‘I hope this will make the stores less cold now. I always get this anxiety whenever I plan to go ALDI if I wore enough layers, even in summer,’ someone else replied.

A fourth replied: ‘This is great for conserving energy and increasing energy efficiency! Love it.’

‘Coming from Europe, the freezing temperatures in Australian supermarkets due to the open fridges were kind of a culture shock from an energy efficiency perspective,’ they added.

However, others brought up a concerning issue, saying that the new change would cause ‘congestion’ in stores. Some were opposed to it because customers with mobility issues would encounter issues with its accessibility.

‘Our ALDI is like this too (Penrith), but it’s a nightmare if you have accessibility issues. I use a cane and can’t hold the door open and grab products easily at the same time,’ one pointed out.

Someone agreed and commented: ‘While I get that it’s more cost-effective for the stores. It’s a lot harder for people with mobility issues and people in wheelchairs.’

‘You get someone opening the door, and they can’t decide if they want the $9.30 or $9.25 chops, and you then have to wait for them. Where you could usually just grab around the person and move on,’ they explained.

‘Not a fan of this set-up. It causes unnecessary aisle congestion,’ one declared.

Someone agreed and said that the new set-up would be ‘tricky’ for people shopping with trolleys and ‘people who are oblivious’.

‘Stop complaining - it’s no different to Coles and Woolworths and is more efficient in keeping products refrigerated,’ one wrote before adding that some people will ‘complain about anything’.

‘People whinge about germs and having to open doors. People whinge about the environment. Can’t win,’ someone else replied.
Key Takeaways

• ALDI is trialling large glass doors in front of the refrigerated shelves at selected stores in an effort to cut energy consumption.
  • Mixed reactions from customers on social media, with some praising the energy efficiency while others express concerns about congestion and accessibility issues.
  • ALDI became the first Australian supermarket to be powered by 100 per cent renewable electricity in June 2021 and is continuously looking for ways to reduce emissions and environmental impact.
  • ALDI spokesperson states that the supermarket is evaluating how installing doors in chiller sections can potentially cut energy consumption considerably.
Want to read more about ALDI? One mum discovered a ‘little-known’ and frustrating checkout rule at ALDI. According to her, she put a bottle of wine on the conveyor belt at the checkout, and when it moved, one of her children put his hand to stop it from rolling further. However, this innocent act forced the cashier to….You can read the rest of the story here.

What do you think about ALDI’s new chilled section? Have you seen the new installation at your local store? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Reactions: Jarred Santos
if shelves were less overstocked, and spaced out slightly, it would make for easier and quicker access !1 therefore doors open less etc. sure a bit more space is required but .....

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I am disabled and have mobility issues. I have not had major incidents in Woolies or Coles with their fridges. Most people, with or without mobility issues usually hold the door open with their body (namely the shoulder/back) and still manage to reach in and get what they need. Those in wheelchairs manage just fine as freezer shelves are generally stocked with the products from the waist up, so therefore easily accessed by all and if not, I ask someone doing their shop to pass along what I need and I don't ever strike another shopper who says "no" to my request. We are disabled, not useless and certainly not a scapegoat! Good on you Aldi, its great to see you doing YOUR part for our world too.

Last edited:
I am disabled and have mobility issues. I have not had major incidents in Woolies or Coles with their fridges. Most people, with or without mobility issues usually hold the door open with their body (namely the shoulder/back) and still manage to reach in and get what they need. Those in wheelchairs manage just fine as freezer shelves are generally stocked with the products from the waist up, so therefore easily accessed by all and if not, I ask someone doing their shop to pass along what I need and I don't ever strike another shopper who says "no" to my request. We are disabled, not useless and certainly not a scapegoat! Good on you Aldi, its great to see you doing YOUR part for our world too.
Fully agree with Angelzz, if you have trouble handling a door ASK for help it seems to me people have forgotten how to talk to each other, I do it all the time sometimes I get a look as if I've done something terrible but not all the time.

View attachment 18427

View attachment 18428

Key Takeaways

congestion. ever heard of manners, wait your turn.

For heaven's sake stop belly aching,
people are never happy.
The more Aldi can cut their costs therefore keep prices down.
All the people complaining about the doors are probably the same ones who are whinging about price rises.
Never happy.

• Haha
Reactions: Angelzz
The nurse at our dr surgery is quite tall, she told us one day someone asked her to reach an item off the top shelf in Coles, she refused. Her reasoning was she doesn’t ask short people to get things for her off the bottom shelf so she doesn’t see why she should get something off top shelf for other customers. How selfish and rude that was to the customer who needed her help.

• Sad

View attachment 18427

View attachment 18428

Key Takeaways

The other supermarkets have already installed glass doors so what's wrong? They're trying to cut costs like everyone else.

View attachment 18427

View attachment 18428

Key Takeaways

The only problem for me is I am 150cm tall and have to ask someone to get something down otherwise it’s fine but I prefer the flat chest with the sliding lids.

Yes, I am quite happy to open a door or pass an item to someone if they ask.

The nurse at our dr surgery is quite tall, she told us one day someone asked her to reach an item off the top shelf in Coles, she refused. Her reasoning was she doesn’t ask short people to get things for her off the bottom shelf so she doesn’t see why she should get something off top shelf for other customers. How selfish and rude that was to the customer who needed her help.
I can't believe somebody could be so rude . I'm quite tall myself and quite often get asked to get items from high shelves, no problem at all.
Maybe one day she'll need help, how would she feel if she was refused
Kharma