Woolworths employee reveals heartbreaking truth after customer confrontation: ‘I’m a person, too’

In the bustling aisles of our local supermarkets, where the shelves are stocked and the cash registers ring with the sound of daily commerce, there lies a less visible, more troubling reality.

It's one that a Woolworths employee recently brought to light, revealing the emotional toll that customer abuse can take on those who serve us.

In an emotional recount, the Woolworths employee shared a distressing encounter with a 'rude' customer who spoke to her 'like a dog' after a miscommunication about a product return.

Despite her efforts to apologise and offer a solution, the worker was met with verbal abuse, leaving her with a 'heartbreaking realisation' that ’People do not actually see me as a human being when I'm standing behind a register.’

compressed-shutterstock_1497456389.jpeg
A Woolworths employee pleaded for respect and empathy after experiencing abuse from a customer. Credits: Shutterstock

The incident didn't end there. After taking a moment to gather herself, another customer, who had witnessed the entire exchange, callously asked if she would open another register.

‘I bopped down behind the register, put my head in my hands, and took a little bit to catch my breath,’ the employee narrated.

‘When I stood back up, there was a lady who was in the opposite line who had watched me be abused the entire time, and she said, “Are you going to open a register?”’

‘You've just watched me get spoken to like a dog, but yes, I'll do your basket of groceries... I'm a person, too,’ she continued.

The video she posted had reportedly been deleted already.

After the employee shared her experience online, a chorus of supermarket workers echoed her sentiments, recounting their own tales of mistreatment.

One commenter said their time in retail was the 'worst experience of my life'.

‘Woolworths was probably the worst job I ever had,’ another agreed.

‘Retail workers are treated like garbage,’ a third chimed.

‘Welcome to retail! I resigned from Woolworths after 11 years, not just from abusive people, but total lack of support from management!’ another woman recounted.

Woolworths has responded, stating that they continue to review their ‘health and safety controls to ensure we're doing everything we can to keep our team and customers safe in our stores’.

It was also reported that counselling services are made available the whole year as well.

Allegations of price gouging and the ensuing investigation by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) have reportedly contributed to a significant surge in animosity towards supermarket staff.

However, the Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) argued that supermarkets are not doing enough to protect their employees from such issues, even accusing them of doing the opposite.

The union's Secretary, Josh Cullinan, criticised the companies, saying, ‘Woolworths are doing abhorrently little to either stop or hold those responsible for the antisocial behaviour.’

‘These employers categorically refuse to implement systems to guarantee their safety, because it might cost them a single sale.’

The union pushed for the inclusion of a safety clause in Enterprise Agreements to address these issues, but they claim their efforts have been dismissed.

‘That's the core problem, if we see them step up and start shutting it down, I have no doubt that what will happen is that these instances of abuse will massively diminish,’ Mr Cullinan argued.

Moreover, the union alleged that workers who have spoken out about their experiences on social media have faced repercussions, such as reduced shifts or informal warnings, for breaching social media policies.

Despite the distressing incident, the young worker who posted the video expressed a fondness for her job, though she acknowledged that her public sharing might have broken company policy.

‘I like my job a lot,’ she said.

A Woolworths spokesperson noted that such social media clauses are common across various industries but declined to give any more comments.

The RAFFWU pointed out that there had been an 'increasing prevalence' of antisocial behaviour towards staff since the onset of Covid-19, when supermarket workers were heralded as frontline heroes.

Woolworths acknowledges this ‘worrying trend’ and asserted, ‘We use technology such as team safety cameras and VR Training modules to both support and prepare our team members for instances where they may feel unsafe.’

As instances of abuse and mistreatment continue to be reported, it highlighted the importance of fostering a supportive and respectful environment within retail establishments.

However, the repercussions of such encounters can extend beyond mere verbal altercations, as evidenced by the unfortunate plight of one employee who lost their job after a confrontation with a shoplifter.

This parallel narrative highlights the broader impact of workplace incidents on the livelihoods of retail workers, prompting reflection on the systemic issues prevalent within the industry.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths employee experienced verbal abuse from a customer, leading to an emotional plea for empathy and respect as individuals, not just workers.
  • Supermarket staff, including those from Woolworths, expressed feeling dehumanised and mistreated in their roles, with some resigning due to a lack of support from management.
  • The Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) criticised Woolworths for inadequate measures to protect staff from antisocial behaviour, and for allegedly disregarding workers' safety concerns.
  • Woolworths acknowledged a worrying trend of increased hostility towards staff since Covid-19, and is looking into health and safety controls, including the use of technology to support and train team members.
Have you witnessed or experienced similar situations in your local supermarkets? How do you think we can better support our retail workers? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Some people are just horrible and have no respect for anyone. I would not be able to work in retail now because I think there would be a lot of people getting abused back. I have see the steady decline in the manners for a long time now. A lot of people think it's their god given right to be an a***ole to those around them. It makes me sad really:cry:

As soon as they start getting abusive call your manager, if you are the manager ask them to leave and come back when they can behave better. If it continues call Police, remember you do not have to be struck to be assaulted the threat or attempt to do so. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in criminal prosecution, civil liability, or both.

Last edited:
I worked for Woolworths for over 16 years. During that time I lost count of the number of times I was abused...and I don't mean just verbal..I was screamed at, threatened with my life, I had things thrown at me, I was spat upon and this escalated during covid..management did very little to help even when told about various situations, I was diagnosed with PTSD 7 yrs ago, the abuse didn't just stop at customers but also some staff and management also were abusive. I think some people are to scared to speak up for fear of reprisal within the store,I worked full time and the best decision I ever made was to resign! Would not recommend ANYONE TO WORK FOR THEM OR COLES! We are not your whipping boys, or pieces of garbage we are human, we go home and our families don't understand why we withdraw, why we cry and find it hard to say anything...but we still went to work and did our job to the best of our ability with a smile..
In saying that there were also the great customers who walked in and made your day...I had so many customer compliments, and vouchers for outstanding service...but they are not enough when the abuse occurs each and every day. To the great customers I met and am still friends with ..THANK YOU ... to those of you who abused me ...may karma set this right.

It is not just in retail outlets - it is everywhere, people seem to have lost their ability to be courteous and remember manners. Everyone seems to wear an 'entitlement' robe these days - why? Maybe all assisted checkouts should be taken away - then at least staff will not be confronted with abuse. I know times are not easy for everyone, all the more reason for people to be considerate.

As a Woolworths customer I was treated like a dog by one of their belligerent female young staff members for complaining about an item that was priced incorrectly at 4 times the real price, in Richmond, She blew it way out of proportion, I showed her a photo on my phone after I went back to check, she then went to check herself and didn't come back, another employee finished the transaction, we are humans too.

I worked for Woolworths for over 16 years. During that time I lost count of the number of times I was abused...and I don't mean just verbal..I was screamed at, threatened with my life, I had things thrown at me, I was spat upon and this escalated during covid..management did very little to help even when told about various situations, I was diagnosed with PTSD 7 yrs ago, the abuse didn't just stop at customers but also some staff and management also were abusive. I think some people are to scared to speak up for fear of reprisal within the store,I worked full time and the best decision I ever made was to resign! Would not recommend ANYONE TO WORK FOR THEM OR COLES! We are not your whipping boys, or pieces of garbage we are human, we go home and our families don't understand why we withdraw, why we cry and find it hard to say anything...but we still went to work and did our job to the best of our ability with a smile..
In saying that there were also the great customers who walked in and made your day...I had so many customer compliments, and vouchers for outstanding service...but they are not enough when the abuse occurs each and every day. To the great customers I met and am still friends with ..THANK YOU ... to those of you who abused me ...may karma set this right.
I worked in retail for many years and 95% of the people were really good. I never worked behind the registers, I was always packing shelves or freezers. I do remember 1 old coot that accused me of changing the price on an item he just bought. They are out there. I know the management are sometimes worse than the customers. I was told by a manager that I would have to work nights and because I had kids that were still young I said I couldn't. She said if I don't work the hours she says, I would be out of a job. I said oh well looks like you have to find someone else then. She wasn't expecting that answer. She wanted me to buckle. I had my day job for many more years. Then we got another gun-ho manager who was mates with some of the boys and one of the boys wanted my job. I was working in the freezer at that time, and working alone. He took me out and put his mate in, his mate had 3 others to help him. They couldn't keep up with the volume being sold. The profits went down. I was asked to go back into the freezer and at first I said No, because I wanted to stick it up them. When he asked again a few days later, I said yes because I hated seeing the freezer so empty. All these managers were younger than I was and wasn't expecting me not to buckle under their threats.

unkindness and abusive behaviour is a problem in society
Why , what has happened , has it always been their that people abuse and have no respect for others It doesn’t seem to be any answers to the aggression shown by people to one another .
I do feel lucky that I like to talk to people when I’m out and about which is not a lot these days
I do buy on line , have my groceries delivered I do have a polite chat with delivery people and try to help people to make their day .

I was employed by Woolworths for 7 years and across the entire store selection in stocktaking. The customer abuse is real but bullying is also part of the culture from management, too. The social media ban is also real and spies lurk everywhere. I suffered badly in my mental health, while working there, though I enjoyed my job itself.
Retail used to be the customer comes first, but not anymore. Customers have long felt disrespected, and so the two way abusive culture continues.

It is not just in retail outlets - it is everywhere, people seem to have lost their ability to be courteous and remember manners. Everyone seems to wear an 'entitlement' robe these days - why? Maybe all assisted checkouts should be taken away - then at least staff will not be confronted with abuse. I know times are not easy for everyone, all the more reason for people to be considerate.
I don't think that assisted checkouts will be the answer...people in general today do not have manners..or are not taught manners, it's an entitled society...I believe the only way to change this is to teach courtesy and respect...because the two things are definitely lacking today.
I worked in retail for many years and 95% of the people were really good. I never worked behind the registers, I was always packing shelves or freezers. I do remember 1 old coot that accused me of changing the price on an item he just bought. They are out there. I know the management are sometimes worse than the customers. I was told by a manager that I would have to work nights and because I had kids that were still young I said I couldn't. She said if I don't work the hours she says, I would be out of a job. I said oh well looks like you have to find someone else then. She wasn't expecting that answer. She wanted me to buckle. I had my day job for many more years. Then we got another gun-ho manager who was mates with some of the boys and one of the boys wanted my job. I was working in the freezer at that time, and working alone. He took me out and put his mate in, his mate had 3 others to help him. They couldn't keep up with the volume being sold. The profits went down. I was asked to go back into the freezer and at first I said No, because I wanted to stick it up them. When he asked again a few days later, I said yes because I hated seeing the freezer so empty. All these managers were younger than I was and wasn't expecting me not to buckle under their threats.
I really feel for you and know that feeling also the backstabbing is so bad...I had one female like that ...she played all sides and slept with one of my abusers (he was staff) and tried to tell me he was nice...sometimes people in management should NEVER EVER be there...

I am a senior and it disgusts me how people speak to other people in the community whether they are in retail, teaching, hospitality, health industry. Everybody deserves respect no matter how difficult the problem maybe.
‘My plea is for all people to be respectful if everyone.

Why would you even suggest all assisted checkouts be taken away - are you out of your mind? They are not the problem. The problem is rude and entitled people who have no patience and believe that they are always right no matter what. The last two generations of Muppets who claim to be human are the most aggressive and inpatient things I have ever encountered in my life. It is mainly these individuals who are giving retail assistants so much aggression and it has to stop. All assisted checkouts should be taken away - really.

Yes, it's always the person behind the counter who gets abused, some customers are very abusive, they think they're entitled to, so each time it happens the person behind the counter should ring the Manager to come & deal with the customer

A lot of this problem rose its ugly head around the time of the breakout of Covid - but that should not be the excuse as it was probably out there and Covid opened the door for it to enter. Yes there are people who feel they are entitled to abuse other people and I agree management should step in and ask the customer to leave until they can behave or call the police if they continue. I rarely see a manager on the floor in my local Woolies, and if there is he is old enough to be my grandson. Would be nice to see one wearing a badge so I can go to him if there is a problem. Woolies wouldn't have made their billions of $$$ in profit if it wasn't for their staff.

Why would you even suggest all assisted checkouts be taken away - are you out of your mind? They are not the problem. The problem is rude and entitled people who have no patience and believe that they are always right no matter what. The last two generations of Muppets who claim to be human are the most aggressive and inpatient things I have ever encountered in my life. It is mainly these individuals who are giving retail assistants so much aggression and it has to stop. All assisted checkouts should be taken away - really.
The last 2 generations are Gen Z and Millennials. I'm a Boomer and have children in both of those brackets, and absolutely none of us have ever been rude or aggressive to anyone. We all worked retail at some point and had some dressing downs by ignorant customers. We also had a cafe for many years and for the most part older people were rude, especially to young staff. Luckily my husband doesn't take shit from anyone, so if they were particularly abusive he'd tell them where to go in no uncertain terms. ♥️Luv that guy.
The world is going down the drain.

I always go out of my way to be courteous to everybody who serves me in the supermarket in fact I often thank the shelf fillers who really appreciate the gesture. i have to button- hole the public often as I am really short & the milk I buy is always on a top shelf but there are never any assistants around the milk cabinet. I have for years had to deal with the public as a dressmaker& can sympathies with the way some folk treat you at my advanced age it is not worth being rude.

You wonder why some people have zero respect for employees doing their job!
So many rude and ignorant people around these days. 😡😡😡
This doesn't just happen in retail. I worked for a solicitor and was frequently abused by clients who didn't like the advice given to them by my boss. They would leave the office and then ring and ask to speak to me and I would get the abuse they had not the courage to give my boss.

Woolworths used to provide decent customer service, 30-40 years ago. Then Woolworths starting cutting jobs for "check-out" chicks and forced us to pack our own bags and queue up to machines to pay for the goods we had bought. And then the last several years of price hikes and shrinkflationetcetera.

Ok Woolworths, you are stressing us and your remaining staff, to make a profit at our (staff and customers) expense whilst your shareholder s and CEOs and Directors make money.