Discover how one Woolworths employee's encounter with a shoplifter cost them their job

The safety of retail workers is a growing concern in Australia as incidents of shoplifting continue to rise.

One such incident involving a Woolworths employee and a shoplifter has sparked a debate about the safety measures in place and the responsibility of supermarkets to protect their staff.

Clinton Freshwater, a 44-year-old Duty Manager at the Wynnum Plaza Woolworths store in Brisbane, found himself at the centre of this controversy.

Freshwater, who had been with Woolworths for 15 years, was fired after a physical altercation with a shoplifter.

shutterstock_1027426159.jpg
A Woolworths employee was fired after a physical altercation with a shoplifter. Image source: Shutterstock

On the day of the incident, Freshwater was alerted by a senior staff member about a suspicious customer who was making other workers feel 'uncomfortable'.

‘He kept walking around the store and loading stuff into his bags…there was a couple of times where he pretended to line up at the registers and then would disappear again,’ he shared.

When the customer finally tried to exit the store without paying, Freshwater confronted him.

‘He walks straight through the self-service checkouts, and that's when I ran to catch up with him a little and [had] just gone, “Hey mate” and straight away he swung around and got me on the side of the head with a bottle of milk,’ he recalled.

This led to a physical altercation that resulted in Freshwater being fired.

‘Just to show you how poor the practices are within Woolworths, they didn't even call security for me…they definitely need to look after their people more,’ he expressed, claiming that the company's response to such incidents is inadequate.

He argued that the supermarket's approach to safety training is also insufficient, with online safety courses serving as mere check-box exercises that do not prepare workers for real-life situations.

‘If we didn't have that once every couple of nights, it wouldn't be a normal night sort of thing,’ he stated.

‘Not long before that, I had three or four kids come in and run riot in the store, they threatened me multiple times, and I asked them to be banned from the store, and my bosses just said to ignore them,’ Freshwater added.

Woolworths has declined to comment on the specific incident, citing ‘confidentiality obligations to the former team member’. However, the company reassured that employee safety is their top priority.

‘No product is more important than our team members’ safety,’ the company spokesperson said.

‘We take the safety of our frontline team members extremely seriously, and we have made significant investments in CCTV, body-worn cameras, personal duress devices, and training to help team members remain out of harm’s way,’ they added.

This incident has sparked a broader conversation about the safety of retail workers in Australia.

The Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) has been advocating for better safety measures in supermarkets, including the introduction of a safety clause in Enterprise Agreements. They also staged a nationwide strike last year.

However, the union claimed their efforts have been consistently thwarted.

The RAFFWU argued that supermarkets only employ security guards when theft rates exceed a certain threshold, not when anti-social behaviour increases.

The union claimed that this approach prioritises profits over the safety of workers. The union is pushing for a process that would see a store shut down and an investigation launched whenever a worker is assaulted, abused, or threatened.

This news comes in the wake of a recent incident where a supermarket employee was left in critical condition while attempting to thwart a thief at a Sydney shopping centre. You can read more about that here.

Prior incidents mirror this event, including an IGA employee assaulted by a customer and, in another instance, a store manager hospitalised after a violent altercation with a customer.

The Woolworths incident is a reminder of the challenges faced by retail workers. It underscores the need for supermarkets and other retail businesses to take a more proactive approach to worker safety rather than simply reacting to incidents as they occur.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths employee was fired after an altercation with a shoplifter at the Wynnum Plaza store in Brisbane.
  • Clinton Freshwater, who had a 15-year tenure with the company, claimed that Woolworths' response to such incidents is inadequate.
  • Woolworths asserted that team member safety is a top priority and has recently increased security with technology and training.
  • The Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) is advocating for a safety clause in supermarket Enterprise Agreements to enforce immediate action and investigations following incidents threatening worker safety.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or someone you know witnessed similar situations in the retail industry? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Woolworths need a security presence in place at every store.

The organisation should support its staff aiming to protect the assets of the business instead of dismissing them as was allegedly done in this instance.

It's a shame Woolworths' stores don't hire security full time in every store. There's a few stores near me that hire them full time. They stand at the exit of self-serve checkouts.
& do what?

I thought there was a ruling about termination...... in writing 3 times before dismissal????
Most likely he contravened the OH&S regulation/policy of the group that you DON'T touch anyone. Call the police would be the standard regulation of ALL retailers that have OH&S policies.

• Angry
Reactions: Helenmac
It should not be up to staff to deal with or even engage with a person who they suspect stealing, They should just inform their Manager or Security, and can you call it theft until they actually leave the store without paying.

Reactions: Fanger
Frankly, I am appalled by the attitude of "some staff "in Woolworths and Coles.
Some of them have the customer skills of a four year old.
That said, I also see that there are customers that don't know any rules either.
If I was the employee in this situation, I would have politely challenged the shoplifter but if there was any challenge, I would have walked away and reported it.
Oh, maybe the employee might have been told that he hadn't made reasonable steps to stop him and maybe, would have been sacked for that too!!!
When I go into any of these self service stores, I ALWAYS get a receipt because I have been challenged many times because of the way I , maybe, look.
Illégitimi mon carborundum.

• Angry
Reactions: Helenmac
The lost revenue caused by shoplifting is past on to the public, but an employee trying to prevent it gets sacked.

Why? Because the courts would let the thief off with a warning and then reward them with compensation for their "pain and suffering" resulting from the employee "wrongfully" arresting him.

"Sanity has left the country!"

All major stores should have Security guards walking around the store and manning the doors.I also believe these Security guards should be allowed to cuff thieves and be issued with some form of protection, such as Mace etc. To avoid misuse of said item it must be signed in and out at the end of shift..I'm sick of price rises, as businesses blame theft as one of the main reasons for this.