Woolworths employee reveals heartbreaking truth after customer confrontation: ‘I’m a person, too’

In the bustling aisles of our local supermarkets, where the shelves are stocked and the cash registers ring with the sound of daily commerce, there lies a less visible, more troubling reality.

It's one that a Woolworths employee recently brought to light, revealing the emotional toll that customer abuse can take on those who serve us.

In an emotional recount, the Woolworths employee shared a distressing encounter with a 'rude' customer who spoke to her 'like a dog' after a miscommunication about a product return.

Despite her efforts to apologise and offer a solution, the worker was met with verbal abuse, leaving her with a 'heartbreaking realisation' that ’People do not actually see me as a human being when I'm standing behind a register.’

compressed-shutterstock_1497456389.jpeg
A Woolworths employee pleaded for respect and empathy after experiencing abuse from a customer. Credits: Shutterstock

The incident didn't end there. After taking a moment to gather herself, another customer, who had witnessed the entire exchange, callously asked if she would open another register.

‘I bopped down behind the register, put my head in my hands, and took a little bit to catch my breath,’ the employee narrated.

‘When I stood back up, there was a lady who was in the opposite line who had watched me be abused the entire time, and she said, “Are you going to open a register?”’

‘You've just watched me get spoken to like a dog, but yes, I'll do your basket of groceries... I'm a person, too,’ she continued.

The video she posted had reportedly been deleted already.

After the employee shared her experience online, a chorus of supermarket workers echoed her sentiments, recounting their own tales of mistreatment.

One commenter said their time in retail was the 'worst experience of my life'.

‘Woolworths was probably the worst job I ever had,’ another agreed.

‘Retail workers are treated like garbage,’ a third chimed.

‘Welcome to retail! I resigned from Woolworths after 11 years, not just from abusive people, but total lack of support from management!’ another woman recounted.

Woolworths has responded, stating that they continue to review their ‘health and safety controls to ensure we're doing everything we can to keep our team and customers safe in our stores’.

It was also reported that counselling services are made available the whole year as well.

Allegations of price gouging and the ensuing investigation by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) have reportedly contributed to a significant surge in animosity towards supermarket staff.

However, the Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) argued that supermarkets are not doing enough to protect their employees from such issues, even accusing them of doing the opposite.

The union's Secretary, Josh Cullinan, criticised the companies, saying, ‘Woolworths are doing abhorrently little to either stop or hold those responsible for the antisocial behaviour.’

‘These employers categorically refuse to implement systems to guarantee their safety, because it might cost them a single sale.’

The union pushed for the inclusion of a safety clause in Enterprise Agreements to address these issues, but they claim their efforts have been dismissed.

‘That's the core problem, if we see them step up and start shutting it down, I have no doubt that what will happen is that these instances of abuse will massively diminish,’ Mr Cullinan argued.

Moreover, the union alleged that workers who have spoken out about their experiences on social media have faced repercussions, such as reduced shifts or informal warnings, for breaching social media policies.

Despite the distressing incident, the young worker who posted the video expressed a fondness for her job, though she acknowledged that her public sharing might have broken company policy.

‘I like my job a lot,’ she said.

A Woolworths spokesperson noted that such social media clauses are common across various industries but declined to give any more comments.

The RAFFWU pointed out that there had been an 'increasing prevalence' of antisocial behaviour towards staff since the onset of Covid-19, when supermarket workers were heralded as frontline heroes.

Woolworths acknowledges this ‘worrying trend’ and asserted, ‘We use technology such as team safety cameras and VR Training modules to both support and prepare our team members for instances where they may feel unsafe.’

As instances of abuse and mistreatment continue to be reported, it highlighted the importance of fostering a supportive and respectful environment within retail establishments.

However, the repercussions of such encounters can extend beyond mere verbal altercations, as evidenced by the unfortunate plight of one employee who lost their job after a confrontation with a shoplifter.

This parallel narrative highlights the broader impact of workplace incidents on the livelihoods of retail workers, prompting reflection on the systemic issues prevalent within the industry.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths employee experienced verbal abuse from a customer, leading to an emotional plea for empathy and respect as individuals, not just workers.
  • Supermarket staff, including those from Woolworths, expressed feeling dehumanised and mistreated in their roles, with some resigning due to a lack of support from management.
  • The Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) criticised Woolworths for inadequate measures to protect staff from antisocial behaviour, and for allegedly disregarding workers' safety concerns.
  • Woolworths acknowledged a worrying trend of increased hostility towards staff since Covid-19, and is looking into health and safety controls, including the use of technology to support and train team members.
Have you witnessed or experienced similar situations in your local supermarkets? How do you think we can better support our retail workers? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I worked in retail all my working years.
The last few years have been the worst. Not at a supermarket but a theme park, you would think the guests would be happy, no way our fault for everything, including the weather. Glad to say l am retired now.

I worked in customer service for over 20 years, and in the latter half I received and handled all complaints to my organisations personally. I have been abused, shouted at, and threatened with physical violence, and physical assault, but guess what none of that was about me, it was always about the person being offensive and their own anger issues. It was never about me, and I never let it become about me. Yes the people I have these interactions with were sometimes angry but that is on them. Some of them were just plain stupid, and again that is on them.

Nobody should ever have to accept unwarranted abuse (mental or physical) but you should also never take it onboard and do damage to you, just know that it is actually about the person abusing and Karma is a wonderful thing.

If you receive someone’s ire because of something you actually did wrong then accept it, apologise, use it to improve and then move forward, make it a positive.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I look at some of these kids as my child or grandies,would you speak to your own with abuse,they should have a special signal to alert the manager instantly,and then they deal with these aggressive customers 🐣

As a Woolworths customer I was treated like a dog by one of their belligerent female young staff members for complaining about an item that was priced incorrectly at 4 times the real price, in Richmond, She blew it way out of proportion, I showed her a photo on my phone after I went back to check, she then went to check herself and didn't come back, another employee finished the transaction, we are humans too.
We also have an unpleasant person on checkout at Woolies. I thought it was just me she didn’t like but I’ve seen her serving others and she still did the eye rolls and loud sighs. I just avoid her. There are plenty of other very nice workers there, I just deal with the friendly ones

Reactions: Robbo3006
I worked in customer service for over 20 years, and in the latter half I received and handled all complaints to my organisations personally. I have been abused, shouted at, and threatened with physical violence, and physical assault, but guess what none of that was about me, it was always about the person being offensive and their own anger issues. It was never about me, and I never let it become about me. Yes the people I have these interactions with were sometimes angry but that is on them. Some of them were just plain stupid, and again that is on them.

Nobody should ever have to accept unwarranted abuse (mental or physical) but you should also never take it onboard and do damage to you, just know that it is actually about the person abusing and Karma is a wonderful thing.

If you receive someone’s ire because of something you actually did wrong then accept it, apologise, use it to improve and then move forward, make it a positive.
I used to tell new staff at the supermarket when I was training them, not to argue with a customer - just be polite, agree and empathise. It’s very hard for someone to argue with you if you appear to be on their side. I don’t think that would help much these days as people seem much more aggressive. I remember on incident where a customer was yelling at a colleague about how she had bought some glad wrap and it didn’t have the cutter thing on it. It seemed like the end of her world. I never said one thing, I just took it off her and ripped off the protective bit of cardboard to expose the cutter. She stopped in her tracks and said “well how stupid do I feel?”. I just smiled politely and walked away.

Customers should realise that checkout personnel don't make the rules, but they have to carry them out. I'm sure this is one reason why there's less humans and more auto check outs.
Why employ people who have to be paid to run tills and put your goods in bags when when you can employ 1 person to try to manage customers who have to queue to be forced to use machines to take their money? There lies the guts of the problem; Woolworth's respect for making a very large profit as a member of the supermarket duopoly.

Last edited:
I was employed by Woolworths for 7 years and across the entire store selection in stocktaking. The customer abuse is real but bullying is also part of the culture from management, too. The social media ban is also real and spies lurk everywhere. I suffered badly in my mental health, while working there, though I enjoyed my job itself.
Retail used to be the customer comes first, but not anymore. Customers have long felt disrespected, and so the two way abusive culture continues.
Absolutely true and the fear of losing your job ..was real...management needs to.look at their culture within the store...

We also have an unpleasant person on checkout at Woolies. I thought it was just me she didn’t like but I’ve seen her serving others and she still did the eye rolls and loud sighs. I just avoid her. There are plenty of other very nice workers there, I just deal with the friendly ones
And did you ever stop to.think why she was like that? Did you ever ask? I don't think you fully understand that we deal with hundreds of customers every day of the week...you go shopping ..what? Once a week...imagine having that happen day in day out.. how would you feel? What would you do? How would you feel?? We aren't talking about a one off ...we are talking every day...

Last edited:
I used to be a senior Cashier in Woolworths on the checkouts, one day a husband and wife who regularly came through my checkout shocked both myself and his wife when he said to me A MONKEY COULD DO YOUR JOB I just smiled but have never forgotten it the poor wife was totally embarrased

Reactions: Gsr
It goes both ways. Something I needed a while back was on the top shelf, and towards the back where I couldn't reach it. Most staff are pleasant and happy to assist, but on this particular day I was out of luck. There were 2 staff members a little way down the aisle from what I needed, one sorting stock and the other just standing there talking to her. I approached and waited politely for a break in their conversation, then asked if someone could please get the item down for me. The staff member who had only been talking huffed loudly then astounded me by saying "Can't you see we're busy?" Yes, busy indeed, not sorting out some business-related issue, but discussing a television program they had watched the night before!

I still work in retail and there are some customers I just refuse to serve due to the abuse I have received from them. I politely inform them that I will not serve them again, if they have an issue with it we can call the manager down to have a chat. They always decline that offer. I am not the only person who works in the store who refuses to serve customers who have been rude or abusive to them. We just step away from the registers, or send them to another register when they come in. Some of them have issues with this but none of us workers are there to be abused just because a customer thinks they are entitled. I had one customer who told me I could not do my job and beckoned another worker over to help me, he was returning products. I sent the other worker away and when I had finished the returns I advised the customer that when he was ready to checkout with his new products not to come to my register as since I didn’t know how to do my job I wouldn’t be able to help him. he did approach my register to check out so I closed my register and walked away and he had to line up behind several other shoppers at the one register still open. He still shops at out store, but he is always polite and respectful with me now whenever I need to deal with him. I must say the 99% of customers who are lovely people and always polite make the job worthwhile. The 1% of pratts we get in the shop are just an annoyance, a bit like the speed bumps in suburban streets.

Reactions: Colette 3799
I used to be a senior Cashier in Woolworths on the checkouts, one day a husband and wife who regularly came through my checkout shocked both myself and his wife when he said to me A MONKEY COULD DO YOUR JOB I just smiled but have never forgotten it the poor wife was totally embarrased
Indeed that is rude, but those robot cash machines we have to use don't eat bananas........I am sure Woolworths would employ monkeys to try to save money on the electric power running those machines if they could; they could feed the monkeys past-use-by-date over-ripe bananas (a tax deduction) which would save them money employing someone to throw over-ripe bananas in the waste bins..................

• Haha
Reactions: vegas
I dont think it s just retail, though that s where it s most visible. I think its because people nowadays dont interact with each other anymore. They sont talk to each other, just use mobiles to text, social media to "communicate" (is it really communication if I post a photo of the food I m having for dinner?) Things are ordered online, left at your door or a parcel box, banking is online, etc... AI have taken over everywhere, so when people have to deal with another human being they dont even know things like respect, politeness, kindness anymore. on top of that everything has to happen "yesterday", so they can get back to their oh so important mobile phone activities...
I m glad I m old enough to still have friends to talk to in person, who chat with me over a cuppa or a meal instead of tapping on their phone with one hand while shuffling food in their mouth with the other.... obviously not before sharing a photo of their "dinner with friends" like I see young people do so often...

Reactions: vegas and Lolali
I would suggest. Once the employee realises it's an aggressive complaining customer at a checkout or service desk. The employee informs the Aggressive customer, this is being videoed for Management to assess. I believe this would considerably back off an aggressive customer.

Always smile at people serving or packing shelves -
being friendly and nice to people goes a long way, so sad that
people are rude & have bad manners! Very sad indeed 🔆

And did you ever stop to.think why she was like that? Did you ever ask? I don't think you fully understand that we deal with hundreds of customers every day of the week...you go shopping ..what? Once a week...imagine having that happen day in day out.. how would you feel? What would you do? How would you feel?? We aren't talking about a one off ...we are talking every day...
I understand exactly. I worked in supermarkets for years and I learned to always be polite and not take my own issues out on customers who are in effect paying my wages. I have never done anything to this worker. Eye rolls and sighs are not good for business

Reactions: Lisa and Robbo3006
The last 2 generations are Gen Z and Millennials. I'm a Boomer and have children in both of those brackets, and absolutely none of us have ever been rude or aggressive to anyone. We all worked retail at some point and had some dressing downs by ignorant customers. We also had a cafe for many years and for the most part older people were rude, especially to young staff. Luckily my husband doesn't take shit from anyone, so if they were particularly abusive he'd tell them where to go in no uncertain terms. ♥️Luv that guy.
The world is going down the drain.
I am glad that you bought up your children with manners and empathy, a lot of parents don't...and I do agree with a lot of older people are quite narky and rude.

I understand exactly. I worked in supermarkets for years and I learned to always be polite and not take my own issues out on customers who are in effect paying my wages. I have never done anything to this worker. Eye rolls and sighs are not good for business
But did you say a kind word? Did you ask if she had a bad day? Not everyone reacts the same as you..some of us end up being terrified of people because we don't know what they will say or do..

But did you say a kind word? Did you ask if she had a bad day? Not everyone reacts the same as you..some of us end up being terrified of people because we don't know what they will say or do..
Like I said shes like this with everyone. She’s just a grumpy person I recon. She is obviously not happy with her job. If I asked her if she was having a bad day she would probably rip strips off me lol. I say kind words to everyone, I hate people who are rude or nasty as it’s just not necessary

I always try to be kind and nice to people who work in our service industries. I may be having a bad day but I certainly don't take it out on the employees. They are doing me a service by attending me. A smile, a hello how are you, go a long way. There is not much respect or old values left in this world unfortunately, but it just takes one to be nice and try and make that employee's day. I cannot speak for management as I havent' worked in these industries, but it should be up to bosses (of any job) to support their workers and people who are rude and horrid should be barred from the shops in my humble opinion.