Woolworths employee reveals heartbreaking truth after customer confrontation: ‘I’m a person, too’

In the bustling aisles of our local supermarkets, where the shelves are stocked and the cash registers ring with the sound of daily commerce, there lies a less visible, more troubling reality.

It's one that a Woolworths employee recently brought to light, revealing the emotional toll that customer abuse can take on those who serve us.

In an emotional recount, the Woolworths employee shared a distressing encounter with a 'rude' customer who spoke to her 'like a dog' after a miscommunication about a product return.

Despite her efforts to apologise and offer a solution, the worker was met with verbal abuse, leaving her with a 'heartbreaking realisation' that ’People do not actually see me as a human being when I'm standing behind a register.’

compressed-shutterstock_1497456389.jpeg
A Woolworths employee pleaded for respect and empathy after experiencing abuse from a customer. Credits: Shutterstock

The incident didn't end there. After taking a moment to gather herself, another customer, who had witnessed the entire exchange, callously asked if she would open another register.

‘I bopped down behind the register, put my head in my hands, and took a little bit to catch my breath,’ the employee narrated.

‘When I stood back up, there was a lady who was in the opposite line who had watched me be abused the entire time, and she said, “Are you going to open a register?”’

‘You've just watched me get spoken to like a dog, but yes, I'll do your basket of groceries... I'm a person, too,’ she continued.

The video she posted had reportedly been deleted already.

After the employee shared her experience online, a chorus of supermarket workers echoed her sentiments, recounting their own tales of mistreatment.

One commenter said their time in retail was the 'worst experience of my life'.

‘Woolworths was probably the worst job I ever had,’ another agreed.

‘Retail workers are treated like garbage,’ a third chimed.

‘Welcome to retail! I resigned from Woolworths after 11 years, not just from abusive people, but total lack of support from management!’ another woman recounted.

Woolworths has responded, stating that they continue to review their ‘health and safety controls to ensure we're doing everything we can to keep our team and customers safe in our stores’.

It was also reported that counselling services are made available the whole year as well.

Allegations of price gouging and the ensuing investigation by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) have reportedly contributed to a significant surge in animosity towards supermarket staff.

However, the Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) argued that supermarkets are not doing enough to protect their employees from such issues, even accusing them of doing the opposite.

The union's Secretary, Josh Cullinan, criticised the companies, saying, ‘Woolworths are doing abhorrently little to either stop or hold those responsible for the antisocial behaviour.’

‘These employers categorically refuse to implement systems to guarantee their safety, because it might cost them a single sale.’

The union pushed for the inclusion of a safety clause in Enterprise Agreements to address these issues, but they claim their efforts have been dismissed.

‘That's the core problem, if we see them step up and start shutting it down, I have no doubt that what will happen is that these instances of abuse will massively diminish,’ Mr Cullinan argued.

Moreover, the union alleged that workers who have spoken out about their experiences on social media have faced repercussions, such as reduced shifts or informal warnings, for breaching social media policies.

Despite the distressing incident, the young worker who posted the video expressed a fondness for her job, though she acknowledged that her public sharing might have broken company policy.

‘I like my job a lot,’ she said.

A Woolworths spokesperson noted that such social media clauses are common across various industries but declined to give any more comments.

The RAFFWU pointed out that there had been an 'increasing prevalence' of antisocial behaviour towards staff since the onset of Covid-19, when supermarket workers were heralded as frontline heroes.

Woolworths acknowledges this ‘worrying trend’ and asserted, ‘We use technology such as team safety cameras and VR Training modules to both support and prepare our team members for instances where they may feel unsafe.’

As instances of abuse and mistreatment continue to be reported, it highlighted the importance of fostering a supportive and respectful environment within retail establishments.

However, the repercussions of such encounters can extend beyond mere verbal altercations, as evidenced by the unfortunate plight of one employee who lost their job after a confrontation with a shoplifter.

This parallel narrative highlights the broader impact of workplace incidents on the livelihoods of retail workers, prompting reflection on the systemic issues prevalent within the industry.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths employee experienced verbal abuse from a customer, leading to an emotional plea for empathy and respect as individuals, not just workers.
  • Supermarket staff, including those from Woolworths, expressed feeling dehumanised and mistreated in their roles, with some resigning due to a lack of support from management.
  • The Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) criticised Woolworths for inadequate measures to protect staff from antisocial behaviour, and for allegedly disregarding workers' safety concerns.
  • Woolworths acknowledged a worrying trend of increased hostility towards staff since Covid-19, and is looking into health and safety controls, including the use of technology to support and train team members.
Have you witnessed or experienced similar situations in your local supermarkets? How do you think we can better support our retail workers? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored