Woolies shopper discovers ‘hidden’ problem in her pack of mince meat

A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about a ‘hidden’ problem in a packet of the supermarkets self-branded mince meat.

One woman has shared that she recently bought a 1-kilogram pack of Beef Mince from her local Woolies. However, after she got home and inspected her purchases, she took a closer look at the packet and discovered quite a weighty issue.

On the upper right corner of the label, the package says it contains 1 kg worth of meat. But when the woman took out her home scales and weighed the package herself, the measurement showed that the weight was only 868 grams, which is 132 grams less than the advertised amount, when not even taking into account the packaging itself.

The shopper clarified that she would have not made a fuss if there were only a few grams missing, but more than a hundred grams short of the advertised weight is unfair for customers who might not be getting their money’s worth.

Z41aspLGyF2tn_UuyWF1I3tpWAvBeT6_R9t6qM6WfztknRxMEhFTyVmudJkGVeIMwsdhoR5ngvzClfHpgdzMkXUbflhy27ZJkolBCfNNHK7OXV4MAcU89Wz2Wk7RjK2ZkRU08Vbk

The woman claimed that her 1kg pack of mince meat weighed just 868g. Credit: Facebook.

A representative from Woolworths has since reached out to the customer and responded to her claims, saying that the management is now looking into the problem with their suppliers.

“Our suppliers have a range of checks and balances in place to ensure our products comply with trade measurement requirements,” said the representative, adding that customers are always free to return the products for a refund.

In most supermarkets, the labels on their pre-packed products usually feature an “e” symbol beside their content weight. This symbol is called the Average Quantity System (AQS) e-mark, meaning that the weight of the product inside the packaging is not always exact and accurate.

With the rising prices of groceries these days, every gram counts! Do you check the weight of your buys at home, too?

Sponsored
I’ve had the same thing happen with Woolworths 500g beef stir fry in the past. when I got home and weighed the amount of beef stir fry it was over 100g under the 500g I paid for as they had made me pay for the weight of the plastic packaging as well as the product. I took it back to Woolworths and told them and got a refund. This occurred twice.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci

A Woolworths customer has taken to Facebook to complain about a ‘hidden’ problem in a packet of the supermarkets self-branded mince meat.

One woman has shared that she recently bought a 1-kilogram pack of Beef Mince from her local Woolies. However, after she got home and inspected her purchases, she took a closer look at the packet and discovered quite a weighty issue.

On the upper right corner of the label, the package says it contains 1 kg worth of meat. But when the woman took out her home scales and weighed the package herself, the measurement showed that the weight was only 868 grams, which is 132 grams less than the advertised amount, when not even taking into account the packaging itself.

The shopper clarified that she would have not made a fuss if there were only a few grams missing, but more than a hundred grams short of the advertised weight is unfair for customers who might not be getting their money’s worth.

Z41aspLGyF2tn_UuyWF1I3tpWAvBeT6_R9t6qM6WfztknRxMEhFTyVmudJkGVeIMwsdhoR5ngvzClfHpgdzMkXUbflhy27ZJkolBCfNNHK7OXV4MAcU89Wz2Wk7RjK2ZkRU08Vbk

The woman claimed that her 1kg pack of mince meat weighed just 868g. Credit: Facebook.

A representative from Woolworths has since reached out to the customer and responded to her claims, saying that the management is now looking into the problem with their suppliers.

“Our suppliers have a range of checks and balances in place to ensure our products comply with trade measurement requirements,” said the representative, adding that customers are always free to return the products for a refund.

In most supermarkets, the labels on their pre-packed products usually feature an “e” symbol beside their content weight. This symbol is called the Average Quantity System (AQS) e-mark, meaning that the weight of the product inside the packaging is not always exact and accurate.

With the rising prices of groceries these days, every gram counts! Do you check the weight of your buys at home, too?
Have you noticed how much water is in our mince. Let alone the fat content. But ive never weighed it before but will mow. So we are not only paying for water content we are being ripped off with the weight

Yes, I have in the past weighed my prepacked meat, I also weighed the package separately and found the missing weight if product exactly there-in the package weight. I was unaware of the 'e' notice on the pack...it would be good If they explained this feature and not waited for somebody to complain to explain....

Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
I actually gave up buying meat at Woolies quite some time ago because I'd had this problem many times and although I mentioned it to staff and even returned on pack of mince that was 225grms short once noyhing changed. In fact I've learnt to avoid a lot of Woolies home brand items because their packaging details are often incorrect.

• Sad
This occurs in Coles also, we reported it to management last September who claimed the 'e' meant estimated. It does not just apply to pre packaged meat. If you check the whole shop, most packaged products on the shelves have the 'e' along side the weight. No explanation for this has been made public knowledge. Public hoodwinked...

A couple of grams difference might be acceptable but not anything over 100gms. That is a bit cheeky from the supplier.

Did she add the weight of the packaging in too? That would make the contents even less!

Reactions: DEL boy and Ricci
I have learnt the hard way with packaged goods being underweight. I prefer to pay a bit more at the Butchers and get what i pay for.

Will she return to Woolworths to pay extra if it is overweight? Zevon1956.

Sorry if I'm being charged for 1kg I want 1 kg ,,not that the packaging might not be exact .This is why I go to my butcher

Yes, I have in the past weighed my prepacked meat, I also weighed the package separately and found the missing weight if product exactly there-in the package weight. I was unaware of the 'e' notice on the pack...it would be good If they explained this feature and not waited for somebody to complain to explain....
I have just learnt what the e means in this thread. Everyone has said it's under the stated weight, since there is an e has anyone noticed being over the stated amount. Or is it conveniently always under :)

True? At the end of the day, you’re only taking one persons word for it. After seeing some humans reactions to Covid and the like? (Spitting over the vegetable section) I wouldn’t believe anything till I see it with my own eyes. Weighed on a proper correct scale, without the package being tampered with? Unless this is something that was shown?

• Sad