Winds of change: Prince William contemplates radical overhaul of British Monarchy

The British monarchy, an institution steeped in centuries of tradition, is no stranger to change.

However, recent reports suggest that the winds of change are blowing with unprecedented force, as Prince William, the Prince of Wales, is said to be considering a radical overhaul of the royal family's future.

This news has sent ripples through the corridors of Buckingham Palace and beyond, reaching all the way to our shores here in Australia, where the monarchy still holds a place in our constitutional framework and public interest.

The concept of a ‘slimmed-down’ monarchy isn't entirely new. King Charles III has long been an advocate for a more streamlined royal family, focusing on the core members and reducing the public cost.

However, the departure of Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, to the United States has accelerated this process, leaving Prince William as the sole working royal of his generation among the Queen's grandchildren.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 090742.jpg
Prince William was reportedly considering a major shift towards a more streamlined monarchy. Credit: Instagram / The Prince and Princess of Wales

The implications of this are significant. With fewer royals to carry out the thousands of official engagements each year, the burden on the remaining members could be immense.

Yet, Prince William's vision, as reported by friends and royal commentators, suggested he is in ‘full agreement’ with his father's lean approach.

This could mean that in the future, when William ascends the throne, the Royal Family might shrink even further.

The traditional image of the royal family, with its balcony appearances and grand ceremonies, could be set for a transformation.

Prince William was reportedly considering whether his own children, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, should even take on full-time royal roles.

‘When the older members of the family retire, [William] won’t be inviting anyone else to become working royals. It remains to be seen if he will even want his two younger children to be working royals,’ a source said.

This is a significant departure from the past, where royal duties were often seen as a birthright and obligation.

The Beast's Tom Sykes supports the idea that the younger Wales children might eventually have ‘jobs’ and ‘lives’.

According to another source, ‘The option isn’t there for George, of course, but the children have been kept at arm’s length from royal life. They are exposed to the minimum possible publicity, and that is a deliberate strategy to let Charlotte and Louis choose their own destiny.’

Prince William's reasoning was said to have been influenced by the turmoil and trauma caused by ‘Megxit’.

‘Although he absolutely puts the blame on Meghan and Harry, he does of course, also appreciate that the whole system, where one of your kids is less important than the other due to an accident of birth, had a massive part to play in what happened and how it happened,’ a friend told Sykes.

‘[The Prince of Wales] doesn’t want to put them through a human mincer that is going to cause everyone misery. He and Catherine adore the children, and their whole lives are about the children. I think they want to find a practical solution to the ‘spare’ problem that has bedevilled the family for generations.’

The ‘spare’ dilemma, as it has been termed, has plagued the royal family for generations. The role of the monarch's second-born has often been fraught with difficulty and dissatisfaction.

History is littered with examples, from Princess Margaret's well-documented struggles to Prince Andrew's recent controversies.

‘I’m sure William and Catherine don’t want history to repeat itself,’ another Royal Family friend told Sykes.

This approach is not without its challenges. Prince George, as the future king, will one day bear the weight of the monarchy on his shoulders.

With a potentially reduced team of working royals, the question arises: How will the institution manage its responsibilities? Will the public accept a monarchy that is less visible and arguably less accessible?

The leaner monarchy might struggle to maintain its workload, which included over 2,000 official engagements last year.

Future palace balcony scenes could be significantly less populated, projecting an image of efficiency but potentially lacking sufficient support.

Princess Anne, in a TV interview, expressed scepticism about the ‘slimmed down’ approach, stating, ‘Well, I think the “slimmed down” was said in a day when there were a few more people around.’

‘It doesn’t sound like a good idea from where I’m standing, I would say. I’m not quite sure what else we can do.’

As Prince William envisions a streamlined future for the monarchy, focusing on a leaner and more efficient royal family, this strategic shift aligns with recent developments within the royal household.

In a significant move that underscores this transformation, King Charles has bestowed exclusive new titles on Prince William and Princess Catherine.

This elevation not only cements their central roles in the monarchy's future but also reflects the evolving dynamics and responsibilities that come with William's planned palace overhaul.
Key Takeaways
  • Prince William is contemplating a significant change to the monarchy, focusing on a leaner royal family structure.
  • The Prince of Wales was reported to be in agreement with King Charles's vision of a streamlined royal family and is not expected to reverse this approach when he ascends the throne.
  • There was reportedly an indication that Prince William and Princess Kate might prefer that their younger children, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, not undertake full-time royal duties, allowing them a chance at more normal lives.
  • Concerns were raised about the future roles and responsibilities of the working royals, especially considering the large number of engagements the family traditionally fulfils, suggesting challenges for Prince George as the future king.
Do you believe a ‘slimmed-down’ monarchy is the right path forward? How do you think these changes will affect the royal family's connection with Australia? We invite you to share your thoughts on this royal revelation in the comments below.

Sponsored
One just wonders of a dilemma. & i.e., will either of the 2 pretend kids of Harry & "MM" be given "Royal" duties down the line ?

Reactions: what and Kitterly
Princess Anne, in a TV interview, expressed scepticism about the ‘slimmed down’ approach, stating, ‘Well, I think the “slimmed down” was said in a day when there were a few more people around.’

‘It doesn’t sound like a good idea from where I’m standing, I would say.

(Sounds like something someone else said a short while back!)

Yep, I agree with her. At least she has both feet on the ground (well at least while she's not falling off a horse!) and not wrapped around a tree somewhere like Chas.

As far as Willy goes,

"Although he absolutely puts the blame on Meghan and Harry, he does of course, also appreciate that the whole system, where one of your kids is less important than the other due to an accident of birth, had a massive part to play in what happened and how it happened,’ a friend told Sykes.

(me - sounds like he is acknowledging the whole thing is a sham based on an accident of birth, but isn't that the thing about the whole RF??).

‘[The Prince of Wales] doesn’t want to put them through a human mincer that is going to cause everyone misery. He and Catherine adore the children, and their whole lives are about the children. I think they want to find a practical solution to the ‘spare’ problem that has bedevilled the family for generations.’"

So they never listened to the concerns Harry was expressing and now they voice those very same concerns about their own children. He's a rippa this bloke!

Should have listened to Harry a while back and Willy might not be in this sticky situation he finds himself. Like Chas, it would seem Willy is coming unstuck by the course of his own actions and his lack of strength in supporting those family members when they needed it.

No good crying about it and blaming others, fix it mate.
Foot stamping, chest-beating and tearing down the very fabric of how the RF works, is that what is happening or is Willy making a genuine attempt to modernise so he no longer has to do the hard yards expected by Pomgollians, of the RF.

Poor form to blame others Willy. Swings and roundabouts mate. Your father didn't do enough to protect your mother and you did not do enough to protect your brother.

Not using royals who are being a burden on the coffers of the general public is one thing but scaling down to almost no one will only I believe end the royal family and they will become like many other royal families around the world just in title only. I am a royalist and think that would be tragic, but I do think that Andrews children should be doing something to earn their keep considering their father is no longer wanted due to his past connections. I also think that Princess Anne's children should be included as well, it is all well and good that they go to the races but there must be other events that they can attend to take some of the burden off those who are always attending events. Prince Edward's children as they get older could also help out with events as their son and daughter would inherit his wealth.

‘It doesn’t sound like a good idea from where I’m standing, I would say.

(Sounds like something someone else said a short while back!)

Yep, I agree with her. At least she has both feet on the ground (well at least while she's not falling off a horse!) and not wrapped around a tree somewhere like Chas.

As far as Willy goes,

"Although he absolutely puts the blame on Meghan and Harry, he does of course, also appreciate that the whole system, where one of your kids is less important than the other due to an accident of birth, had a massive part to play in what happened and how it happened,’ a friend told Sykes.

(me - sounds like he is acknowledging the whole thing is a sham based on an accident of birth, but isn't that the thing about the whole RF??).

‘[The Prince of Wales] doesn’t want to put them through a human mincer that is going to cause everyone misery. He and Catherine adore the children, and their whole lives are about the children. I think they want to find a practical solution to the ‘spare’ problem that has bedevilled the family for generations.’"

So they never listened to the concerns Harry was expressing and now they voice those very same concerns about their own children. He's a rippa this bloke!

Should have listened to Harry a while back and Willy might not be in this sticky situation he finds himself. Like Chas, it would seem Willy is coming unstuck by the course of his own actions and his lack of strength in supporting those family members when they needed it.

No good crying about it and blaming others, fix it mate.
Foot stamping, chest-beating and tearing down the very fabric of how the RF works, is that what is happening or is Willy making a genuine attempt to modernise so he no longer has to do the hard yards expected by Pomgollians, of the RF.

Poor form to blame others Willy. Swings and roundabouts mate. Your father didn't do enough to protect your mother and you did not do enough to protect your brother.
Harry even as a young man did whatever he wanted, I loved Princess Diana but remember she wasn't innocent in what happened and the media did their best to make life even harder for all concerned. As for saying William is being hypocritical once Prince William had children the pressure was off Harry as he moved down the line which meant again it gave him more leeway to be able to relax more and enjoy his life. Harry CHOSE to leave the royals they could have gone away got on with their lives, but no neither him or his wife did that. They have both lied time and time again and the proof is out there I am not making it up.

Harry even as a young man did whatever he wanted, I loved Princess Diana but remember she wasn't innocent in what happened and the media did their best to make life even harder for all concerned. As for saying William is being hypocritical once Prince William had children the pressure was off Harry as he moved down the line which meant again it gave him more leeway to be able to relax more and enjoy his life. Harry CHOSE to leave the royals they could have gone away got on with their lives, but no neither him or his wife did that. They have both lied time and time again and the proof is out there I am not making it up.
There is no doubt that life for the two boys growing into men would have had challenges/pressures that don't exist in the a normal world. It is true I am biased towards Harry. The weak link is Charles, prior to his unfortunate illness, I mean.

I just don't think that either Charles, nor William did enough in the interests of the family. Even now, I think both (esp William) need to think more deeply about this situation. Your first post has good suggestions, once voiced seem obvious. So, does that mean none are interested, which could suggest Harry was the one targeted for blame amongst a dwindling level of support for the RF within their own ranks. No free lunches, so an expectation that some will step up. Would Harry respond. Is he that bad, when viewed against what others have done, yet not proven? Who is lying and who is not.
Is it all just a matter of perspectives.

Why did Harry really choose to leave.
Why did others choose not to support him prior to his decision.
Sure, all families have issues, but the RF have an expectation put on them by the public who support them.

I think the king and Prince William are in danger of slimming down the royal family's commitments to oblivion as there would be no need to have them. Money seems to be the contributing factor utilized either for good if done wisely or bad in misconception.

William has a good head on his shoulders Catherine is a good roll model, and a wonderful mum for her kids and as for George well he will follow in his dads foot steps and hopefully be prosperous KING . Maybe the other 2 kids will have more freedom just like a teenage HARRY . A lovely family that I really love.

I think Charles's siblings take on more Royal duties, like Princess Ann does, but what does Prince Edward do, and their grown children should all be earning their keep and attending royal duties, when they reach a certain age, what's wrong with the others getting a job to support themselves. when you have a look at the amount of money they are worth, your jaw will drop, Question: how do they earn that money?
I love William and Kate's children they are adorable, its good they make appearances at different events, but let them be kids for now.
What a hard decision for William to make in the future

Winds of change: Prince William contemplates radical overhaul of British Monarchy

There was real hope in that headline.

Such as the complete dissolution of the monarchy.

Oh well! One can only dream....
We had a referendum in 1999 on becoming a Republic, but the political parties at the time didn't have an alternative to the Monarchy. I think there talk of a President that would over the job of the Governor General unfortunately there wasn't a coherent idea as to how you could have a neutral one, Labour wanted Labour Liberals wanted Liberal etc etc.

Last edited:
This would be a shame.. I was wondering if some of the distant relatives could help take the pressure off by attending on their behalf? It would certainly take some pressure off them.. and they would still be a representative of the Royal family.

As long as the future King William V can sack dip-shit Tory Prime Minsters and the rest of His Cabinet and call for a General Election in the Public interest, whether or not the royal household is slimmed down, that's fine by me . If a contractor is need to wear medals and fancy clothes whilst waving to the hoi poloi from the balcony of Buckingham Palace, I'd do that for first class airfares to Pomgolia and return and for a post-tax $100 000 a day. My Attending the Trooping of the Guard would cost a bit more .

• Haha
Reactions: Pam71
As long as the future King William V can sack dip-shit Tory Prime Minsters and the rest of His Cabinet and call for a General Election in the Public interest, whether or not the royal household is slimmed down, that's fine by me . If a contractor is need to wear medals and fancy clothes whilst waving to the hoi poloi from the balcony of Buckingham Palace, I'd do that for first class airfares to Pomgolia and return and for a post-tax $100 000 a day. My Attending the Trooping of the Guard would cost a bit more .
The Monarchy can't sack the government, the Prime Minister informs the King that he wants to call an election and only then does the Monarch dissolve Parliament in the same way that cannot strip the gruesome twosome of their titles, although they were bestowed by his grandmother they can only taken away by an act of Parliament. The same goes for his Prince of the blood the king can request the government strip them of those as well all his father can do is disown them?

• Wow
Reactions: Pam71
So you actually know they lied you must be psychic