Will paper receipts soon be a thing of the past? Kmart is going (mostly) digital using new 'smart' Aussie technology

We receive a lot of receipts on a daily basis. Whether we're buying groceries, clothes, or just grabbing a coffee, most retailers will print out a long slip of paper detailing our purchase – and they can really add up over time!

While some people might not mind having physical proof of their spending habits (or being able to return items without any fuss), many of us would prefer to go paperless whenever possible.

Thankfully, it looks like Kmart is taking steps in the right direction when it comes to cutting down on waste.

The retail giant is making the switch to 'digital smart receipts' that make use of an innovative technology platform called Slyp.

If you’re not familiar with the term, a 'smart' receipt is a fully itemised record of your checkout transaction that is sent to your mobile banking app instead of a paper receipt that most customers never bother to save.

It should be noted that traditional paper receipts are not recyclable due to the type of ink used. So this move is good for the environment!

money-series.jpg

Kmart has declared that it will transition to digital receipts and eliminate paper receipts. Credit: Pexels.

Customers who use the 'smart receipts' will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their purchase automatically in their mobile banking app, which is even more convenient because it saves you the hassle of keeping track of your paper receipts!

And if you think paper receipts are going away, think again – Kmart is offering 'smart' receipts as well, except they’re only currently available for NAB customers.

The change simplifies the shopping experience for customers by making it faster and easier to return products. It also helps businesses operate in a more environmentally responsible manner.

Kmart's Chief Customer Officer, Lil Velis-Bowker, expressed her delight at the news, stating that it will 'improve and enhance customers' shopping experiences' both in-store and online.

Ms Velis-Bowker said: 'By switching to digital smart receipts we are able to give our customers a more seamless shopping experience, by taking away the stress of needing to keep hold of a physical printed receipt.'

'This allows our customers to process returns more easily, but also gives them a great opportunity to have a history of their Kmart purchases easily at hand in their banking app.'

'By using digital smart receipts we will also be able to reduce our future reliance on printed receipts, which is important to us as we continue to work through ways we can reduce our environmental impact.'

Slyp-logo_small.png

Customers' bank transactions will now be accepted as tax invoices thanks to Slyp technology. Credit: Visa Partner.

Kmart is the latest business to adopt Slyp, a game-changing technology developed after four years of hard effort.

Paul Weingarth, CEO and Co-Founder of 'smart receipts', recounted how Slyp came to be following a shopping spree that concluded with him hauling about a ream of paper.

He shared: 'I realised the need for something like Slyp in 2016 after I purchased a chainsaw and received a 50cm long receipt at my local hardware store.'

'The cashier asked me to take a photo of the receipt because it was going to fade over time — it just made no sense to me.'

'We had many iterations of what eventually became the Slyp Smart Receipt and built it in close consultation with retailers, banks and customers to make sure it was as easy, convenient and seamless as possible.'

Paul stated that since Slyp's launching in 2020, it has taken the industry by storm and has become a 'growing network' in no time thanks to the endorsement of all four major Australian banks.

'We are now live with hundreds of brands across more than 1800 locations around Australia,' he added.

'We’re bringing more merchants on every day and we’re working with all of Australia’s biggest banks to bring Smart Receipts to their banking app in the near future.'

Slyp's ultimate goal, according to Paul, is to 'divert as many paper receipts from landfill as possible and eventually move to eradicate them altogether'.

He remarked: 'Paper receipts are too often discarded at the bottom of handbags, abandoned in shopping trolleys or left littering our streets.'

'From here, they end up in landfill or waterways because – contrary to popular belief – paper receipts are not recyclable.'

'They are produced using significant natural resources in the form of trees, water and oil, and are coated in BPA/BPS chemicals, rendering them unrecyclable and extremely unsustainable.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is introducing a new technology at its tills that will completely change the way we shop.
  • The budget retailer is ditching paper receipts in favour of ‘digital smart receipts’ using a tech platform called Slyp.
  • Instead of traditional paper receipts, most of which are not recyclable due to the type of ink used when printing, Kmart customers will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their transaction automatically in their bank app.
  • The move simplifies the buying process for customers as it makes it easier to return items – and it also helps businesses such as Kmart operate in a greener capacity.
  • Kmart is the latest in a string of Australian retailers who have adopted Slyp, a technology that launched in 2020 after four years of development.

There you have it, folks! Do you think other retailers should also adopt this 'smart' paperless technology? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
What banking app...? I have gone to a lot of trouble to get rid of apps which enable my details to be hacked....and my emails are clogged with rubbish, which some algorithm "thinks" might con me into buying what I neither want, nor need. Pity, as occasionally Kmart does have something which I cannot get elsewhere....so will they refuse to sell to me? This will be interestinģ, as a person over 70,I only want technology which is appropriate!
I don't have emails on m y phone. My phone is is used as a phone for communication not purchasing.

What banking app...? I have gone to a lot of trouble to get rid of apps which enable my details to be hacked....and my emails are clogged with rubbish, which some algorithm "thinks" might con me into buying what I neither want, nor need. Pity, as occasionally Kmart does have something which I cannot get elsewhere....so will they refuse to sell to me? This will be interestinģ, as a person over 70,I only want technology which is appropriate!
My wife and I agree wholeheartedly and we will not be using them. I am 83 but am computer savvy having been in the trade. They can stick their Apps!

Reactions: Kgee and Ricci
Definitely not. This is pointing towards a digital society in which privacy & freedom would not exist. Resist all attempts to digitalise our lives & take away our freedoms.

We receive a lot of receipts on a daily basis. Whether we're buying groceries, clothes, or just grabbing a coffee, most retailers will print out a long slip of paper detailing our purchase – and they can really add up over time!

While some people might not mind having physical proof of their spending habits (or being able to return items without any fuss), many of us would prefer to go paperless whenever possible.

Thankfully, it looks like Kmart is taking steps in the right direction when it comes to cutting down on waste.

The retail giant is making the switch to 'digital smart receipts' that make use of an innovative technology platform called Slyp.

If you’re not familiar with the term, a 'smart' receipt is a fully itemised record of your checkout transaction that is sent to your mobile banking app instead of a paper receipt that most customers never bother to save.

It should be noted that traditional paper receipts are not recyclable due to the type of ink used. So this move is good for the environment!

money-series.jpg

Kmart has declared that it will transition to digital receipts and eliminate paper receipts. Credit: Pexels.

Customers who use the 'smart receipts' will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their purchase automatically in their mobile banking app, which is even more convenient because it saves you the hassle of keeping track of your paper receipts!

And if you think paper receipts are going away, think again – Kmart is offering 'smart' receipts as well, except they’re only currently available for NAB customers.

The change simplifies the shopping experience for customers by making it faster and easier to return products. It also helps businesses operate in a more environmentally responsible manner.

Kmart's Chief Customer Officer, Lil Velis-Bowker, expressed her delight at the news, stating that it will 'improve and enhance customers' shopping experiences' both in-store and online.

Ms Velis-Bowker said: 'By switching to digital smart receipts we are able to give our customers a more seamless shopping experience, by taking away the stress of needing to keep hold of a physical printed receipt.'

'This allows our customers to process returns more easily, but also gives them a great opportunity to have a history of their Kmart purchases easily at hand in their banking app.'

'By using digital smart receipts we will also be able to reduce our future reliance on printed receipts, which is important to us as we continue to work through ways we can reduce our environmental impact.'

Slyp-logo_small.png

Customers' bank transactions will now be accepted as tax invoices thanks to Slyp technology. Credit: Visa Partner.

Kmart is the latest business to adopt Slyp, a game-changing technology developed after four years of hard effort.

Paul Weingarth, CEO and Co-Founder of 'smart receipts', recounted how Slyp came to be following a shopping spree that concluded with him hauling about a ream of paper.

He shared: 'I realised the need for something like Slyp in 2016 after I purchased a chainsaw and received a 50cm long receipt at my local hardware store.'

'The cashier asked me to take a photo of the receipt because it was going to fade over time — it just made no sense to me.'

'We had many iterations of what eventually became the Slyp Smart Receipt and built it in close consultation with retailers, banks and customers to make sure it was as easy, convenient and seamless as possible.'

Paul stated that since Slyp's launching in 2020, it has taken the industry by storm and has become a 'growing network' in no time thanks to the endorsement of all four major Australian banks.

'We are now live with hundreds of brands across more than 1800 locations around Australia,' he added.

'We’re bringing more merchants on every day and we’re working with all of Australia’s biggest banks to bring Smart Receipts to their banking app in the near future.'

Slyp's ultimate goal, according to Paul, is to 'divert as many paper receipts from landfill as possible and eventually move to eradicate them altogether'.

He remarked: 'Paper receipts are too often discarded at the bottom of handbags, abandoned in shopping trolleys or left littering our streets.'

'From here, they end up in landfill or waterways because – contrary to popular belief – paper receipts are not recyclable.'

'They are produced using significant natural resources in the form of trees, water and oil, and are coated in BPA/BPS chemicals, rendering them unrecyclable and extremely unsustainable.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is introducing a new technology at its tills that will completely change the way we shop.
  • The budget retailer is ditching paper receipts in favour of ‘digital smart receipts’ using a tech platform called Slyp.
  • Instead of traditional paper receipts, most of which are not recyclable due to the type of ink used when printing, Kmart customers will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their transaction automatically in their bank app.
  • The move simplifies the buying process for customers as it makes it easier to return items – and it also helps businesses such as Kmart operate in a greener capacity.
  • Kmart is the latest in a string of Australian retailers who have adopted Slyp, a technology that launched in 2020 after four years of development.

There you have it, folks! Do you think other retailers should also adopt this 'smart' paperless technology? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

While I agree with finding an alternative to paper receipts, I don’t agree with having them go to a banking app. There’s already far too much of our details online and just look at how many people are getting scammed ! NO come up with a better way please.

Reactions: Ricci and Kaylee
I am 81 not tech savvy I do NOT use self serve will only shop where I am served . What do Kmart etc care about us oldies if you look at the customers you will see a large percentage of us are seniors I really don't think they give a damn

Reactions: Ricci and Kaylee
Like the idea, but at the 2 Kmarts I shop at in south Melbourne require you to show your receipt before leaving the store, maybe outing check outs nearer the exits would be great.
Exactly, my kmart won't let you leave without showing your receipt. There is always a queue to get out.

Reactions: Ricci
A few independent stores I shop at send me email receipts. I prefer that way in lieu of any mobile app Kmart has.
Mobile banking has it's faults instead of using a card for payment.
The other day I was picking up a few things at Aldi, got to the checkout line & the woman in front attempted to pay with her mobile banking.
It wouldn't work & with so many attempts, I was standing there for 15 minutes.
Eventually, the Aldi staff recommended she try at another one of their eftpos machines. It finally worked!

• Sad

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

The only problem I have is rhat I tend to delete sms's all the time and have deleted receipts by mistake, as I did once with an Office Works digital receipt. I know you could print it at home, but that is defeating the purpose of the digital copy.

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

So what about all the oldies who don't have smartphones or, like us, detest using apps on ours and will certainly never link our bank account to one. I hate the way these supermarkets are pushing their automation on us whether we want it or not. Woollies self-checkout is another (hated) example.
It is hard enough to to find help when you need it. It make me wonder if this is a way of K-Mart to cut back on more staff.

• Sad
Don't use apps on my phone.....I don't have enough data.
Absolutely would not have any banking information on my phone .....I didn't come down in the last shower.
My beef is that the ink on many receipts fades away to illegibility land. Don't know where it goes, even when the receipts are stored in a dark filing cabinet.
I don't mean food items, but receipts for items which come with a 1 or 3 year guarantee.....

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to just change the type of ink that is being used?

I. for one, don't use my phone for any type of banking and will not be changing just to cater to K-Mart. It is just another avenue that can be hacked...

• Sad
Reactions: g@f#y and Ricci

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

JB HI FI have had digital receipts for a while. I’d don’t use my phone to pay for purchases. So how will the Kmart digital receipts work for me? JB HI FI send them through via your email or phone number not via your banking app. Great idea but not thought out enough for us oldies
I agree with you totally.

JB HI FI have had digital receipts for a while. I’d don’t use my phone to pay for purchases. So how will the Kmart digital receipts work for me? JB HI FI send them through via your email or phone number not via your banking app. Great idea but not thought out enough for us oldies
100% agree I also do not use any money transactions on my phone and I know people like my brother who still only have basic phones. I also see those shop lifters out there will have a field day, they already do because of lack of proper security. I like to shop with cash too so what sort of receipt do I get then.

Reactions: Ricci and Trudi
Totally agree, I don't use phone banking and never will. JB HI FI have done this for while now and it works.
JB HiFi give you a paper receipt and ask you for your mobile number to send the electronic receipt to. Bunnings also offers electronic receipts in addition to you paper receipt. I don't mind this, but I do prefer to have my paper receipts for taxation purposes.

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

I’ve noticed that Bunnings already have these receipts. Technology is truly amazing but there will undoubtedly be a lot of elderly people who won’t like it.

first don't t

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

Do they know trees are a renewable resource. why don't they redesign there receipt and use ink that stays on the receipt and is environmental friendly also not everyone uses online banking. Glenn

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

But -- how will these digital receipts be filed and retrieved? Could be a nightmare searching for on KMart receipt that was generated 3 months ago, or, worse, you're notsure WHEN