Will paper receipts soon be a thing of the past? Kmart is going (mostly) digital using new 'smart' Aussie technology

We receive a lot of receipts on a daily basis. Whether we're buying groceries, clothes, or just grabbing a coffee, most retailers will print out a long slip of paper detailing our purchase – and they can really add up over time!

While some people might not mind having physical proof of their spending habits (or being able to return items without any fuss), many of us would prefer to go paperless whenever possible.

Thankfully, it looks like Kmart is taking steps in the right direction when it comes to cutting down on waste.

The retail giant is making the switch to 'digital smart receipts' that make use of an innovative technology platform called Slyp.

If you’re not familiar with the term, a 'smart' receipt is a fully itemised record of your checkout transaction that is sent to your mobile banking app instead of a paper receipt that most customers never bother to save.

It should be noted that traditional paper receipts are not recyclable due to the type of ink used. So this move is good for the environment!

money-series.jpg

Kmart has declared that it will transition to digital receipts and eliminate paper receipts. Credit: Pexels.

Customers who use the 'smart receipts' will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their purchase automatically in their mobile banking app, which is even more convenient because it saves you the hassle of keeping track of your paper receipts!

And if you think paper receipts are going away, think again – Kmart is offering 'smart' receipts as well, except they’re only currently available for NAB customers.

The change simplifies the shopping experience for customers by making it faster and easier to return products. It also helps businesses operate in a more environmentally responsible manner.

Kmart's Chief Customer Officer, Lil Velis-Bowker, expressed her delight at the news, stating that it will 'improve and enhance customers' shopping experiences' both in-store and online.

Ms Velis-Bowker said: 'By switching to digital smart receipts we are able to give our customers a more seamless shopping experience, by taking away the stress of needing to keep hold of a physical printed receipt.'

'This allows our customers to process returns more easily, but also gives them a great opportunity to have a history of their Kmart purchases easily at hand in their banking app.'

'By using digital smart receipts we will also be able to reduce our future reliance on printed receipts, which is important to us as we continue to work through ways we can reduce our environmental impact.'

Slyp-logo_small.png

Customers' bank transactions will now be accepted as tax invoices thanks to Slyp technology. Credit: Visa Partner.

Kmart is the latest business to adopt Slyp, a game-changing technology developed after four years of hard effort.

Paul Weingarth, CEO and Co-Founder of 'smart receipts', recounted how Slyp came to be following a shopping spree that concluded with him hauling about a ream of paper.

He shared: 'I realised the need for something like Slyp in 2016 after I purchased a chainsaw and received a 50cm long receipt at my local hardware store.'

'The cashier asked me to take a photo of the receipt because it was going to fade over time — it just made no sense to me.'

'We had many iterations of what eventually became the Slyp Smart Receipt and built it in close consultation with retailers, banks and customers to make sure it was as easy, convenient and seamless as possible.'

Paul stated that since Slyp's launching in 2020, it has taken the industry by storm and has become a 'growing network' in no time thanks to the endorsement of all four major Australian banks.

'We are now live with hundreds of brands across more than 1800 locations around Australia,' he added.

'We’re bringing more merchants on every day and we’re working with all of Australia’s biggest banks to bring Smart Receipts to their banking app in the near future.'

Slyp's ultimate goal, according to Paul, is to 'divert as many paper receipts from landfill as possible and eventually move to eradicate them altogether'.

He remarked: 'Paper receipts are too often discarded at the bottom of handbags, abandoned in shopping trolleys or left littering our streets.'

'From here, they end up in landfill or waterways because – contrary to popular belief – paper receipts are not recyclable.'

'They are produced using significant natural resources in the form of trees, water and oil, and are coated in BPA/BPS chemicals, rendering them unrecyclable and extremely unsustainable.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is introducing a new technology at its tills that will completely change the way we shop.
  • The budget retailer is ditching paper receipts in favour of ‘digital smart receipts’ using a tech platform called Slyp.
  • Instead of traditional paper receipts, most of which are not recyclable due to the type of ink used when printing, Kmart customers will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their transaction automatically in their bank app.
  • The move simplifies the buying process for customers as it makes it easier to return items – and it also helps businesses such as Kmart operate in a greener capacity.
  • Kmart is the latest in a string of Australian retailers who have adopted Slyp, a technology that launched in 2020 after four years of development.

There you have it, folks! Do you think other retailers should also adopt this 'smart' paperless technology? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I too am against this method as I do not want anyone having my banking information. I do not think it is going to make it easier as the hackers out there will take your info and use it for their advantage therefore more people getting ripped off why do they just not use this ink surely they can change it.

We receive a lot of receipts on a daily basis. Whether we're buying groceries, clothes, or just grabbing a coffee, most retailers will print out a long slip of paper detailing our purchase – and they can really add up over time!

While some people might not mind having physical proof of their spending habits (or being able to return items without any fuss), many of us would prefer to go paperless whenever possible.

Thankfully, it looks like Kmart is taking steps in the right direction when it comes to cutting down on waste.

The retail giant is making the switch to 'digital smart receipts' that make use of an innovative technology platform called Slyp.

If you’re not familiar with the term, a 'smart' receipt is a fully itemised record of your checkout transaction that is sent to your mobile banking app instead of a paper receipt that most customers never bother to save.

It should be noted that traditional paper receipts are not recyclable due to the type of ink used. So this move is good for the environment!

money-series.jpg

Kmart has declared that it will transition to digital receipts and eliminate paper receipts. Credit: Pexels.

Customers who use the 'smart receipts' will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their purchase automatically in their mobile banking app, which is even more convenient because it saves you the hassle of keeping track of your paper receipts!

And if you think paper receipts are going away, think again – Kmart is offering 'smart' receipts as well, except they’re only currently available for NAB customers.

The change simplifies the shopping experience for customers by making it faster and easier to return products. It also helps businesses operate in a more environmentally responsible manner.

Kmart's Chief Customer Officer, Lil Velis-Bowker, expressed her delight at the news, stating that it will 'improve and enhance customers' shopping experiences' both in-store and online.

Ms Velis-Bowker said: 'By switching to digital smart receipts we are able to give our customers a more seamless shopping experience, by taking away the stress of needing to keep hold of a physical printed receipt.'

'This allows our customers to process returns more easily, but also gives them a great opportunity to have a history of their Kmart purchases easily at hand in their banking app.'

'By using digital smart receipts we will also be able to reduce our future reliance on printed receipts, which is important to us as we continue to work through ways we can reduce our environmental impact.'

Slyp-logo_small.png

Customers' bank transactions will now be accepted as tax invoices thanks to Slyp technology. Credit: Visa Partner.

Kmart is the latest business to adopt Slyp, a game-changing technology developed after four years of hard effort.

Paul Weingarth, CEO and Co-Founder of 'smart receipts', recounted how Slyp came to be following a shopping spree that concluded with him hauling about a ream of paper.

He shared: 'I realised the need for something like Slyp in 2016 after I purchased a chainsaw and received a 50cm long receipt at my local hardware store.'

'The cashier asked me to take a photo of the receipt because it was going to fade over time — it just made no sense to me.'

'We had many iterations of what eventually became the Slyp Smart Receipt and built it in close consultation with retailers, banks and customers to make sure it was as easy, convenient and seamless as possible.'

Paul stated that since Slyp's launching in 2020, it has taken the industry by storm and has become a 'growing network' in no time thanks to the endorsement of all four major Australian banks.

'We are now live with hundreds of brands across more than 1800 locations around Australia,' he added.

'We’re bringing more merchants on every day and we’re working with all of Australia’s biggest banks to bring Smart Receipts to their banking app in the near future.'

Slyp's ultimate goal, according to Paul, is to 'divert as many paper receipts from landfill as possible and eventually move to eradicate them altogether'.

He remarked: 'Paper receipts are too often discarded at the bottom of handbags, abandoned in shopping trolleys or left littering our streets.'

'From here, they end up in landfill or waterways because – contrary to popular belief – paper receipts are not recyclable.'

'They are produced using significant natural resources in the form of trees, water and oil, and are coated in BPA/BPS chemicals, rendering them unrecyclable and extremely unsustainable.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is introducing a new technology at its tills that will completely change the way we shop.
  • The budget retailer is ditching paper receipts in favour of ‘digital smart receipts’ using a tech platform called Slyp.
  • Instead of traditional paper receipts, most of which are not recyclable due to the type of ink used when printing, Kmart customers will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their transaction automatically in their bank app.
  • The move simplifies the buying process for customers as it makes it easier to return items – and it also helps businesses such as Kmart operate in a greener capacity.
  • Kmart is the latest in a string of Australian retailers who have adopted Slyp, a technology that launched in 2020 after four years of development.

There you have it, folks! Do you think other retailers should also adopt this 'smart' paperless technology? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
I kinda have enough trouble of self checkout...let alone this coming in.....I would like to see staff...smiling have a natter and on your way

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

So how do we get past the door security check without our paper receipt ?????>

Reactions: Ezzy
Have not & will not use my mobile to pay for purchases. Does that mean l don't get a receipt at all or will l receive a paper one?

I have a smartphone, but I don't use banking apps on it, and I certainly don't bank with NAB.

I prefer to receive paper receipts. If I shop at Officeworks, I get an emailed copy of my receipt, which then gets saved to my receipts file on my computer.

Why can't Kmart just email them, rather than having to use a banking app? It's far too complicated!

If my purchase is less than $20, I pay cash! Is that going to be a thing of the past, too? I hope not! I just don't like my statements to be full of smaller value purchases. I withdraw my spending & shopping money on pension day, and keep a record on MYOB (an older version, as I have a key for it) as to how much I spend and where. Then only I know exactly where I spend my money and it's not displayed on my bank statement for all & sundry to see. I certainly wouldn't want to be applying for a loan, etc, if my statement was full of EVERY purchase that I make, including any hot drink purchases, lunch, etc.