Will paper receipts soon be a thing of the past? Kmart is going (mostly) digital using new 'smart' Aussie technology

We receive a lot of receipts on a daily basis. Whether we're buying groceries, clothes, or just grabbing a coffee, most retailers will print out a long slip of paper detailing our purchase – and they can really add up over time!

While some people might not mind having physical proof of their spending habits (or being able to return items without any fuss), many of us would prefer to go paperless whenever possible.

Thankfully, it looks like Kmart is taking steps in the right direction when it comes to cutting down on waste.

The retail giant is making the switch to 'digital smart receipts' that make use of an innovative technology platform called Slyp.

If you’re not familiar with the term, a 'smart' receipt is a fully itemised record of your checkout transaction that is sent to your mobile banking app instead of a paper receipt that most customers never bother to save.

It should be noted that traditional paper receipts are not recyclable due to the type of ink used. So this move is good for the environment!

money-series.jpg

Kmart has declared that it will transition to digital receipts and eliminate paper receipts. Credit: Pexels.

Customers who use the 'smart receipts' will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their purchase automatically in their mobile banking app, which is even more convenient because it saves you the hassle of keeping track of your paper receipts!

And if you think paper receipts are going away, think again – Kmart is offering 'smart' receipts as well, except they’re only currently available for NAB customers.

The change simplifies the shopping experience for customers by making it faster and easier to return products. It also helps businesses operate in a more environmentally responsible manner.

Kmart's Chief Customer Officer, Lil Velis-Bowker, expressed her delight at the news, stating that it will 'improve and enhance customers' shopping experiences' both in-store and online.

Ms Velis-Bowker said: 'By switching to digital smart receipts we are able to give our customers a more seamless shopping experience, by taking away the stress of needing to keep hold of a physical printed receipt.'

'This allows our customers to process returns more easily, but also gives them a great opportunity to have a history of their Kmart purchases easily at hand in their banking app.'

'By using digital smart receipts we will also be able to reduce our future reliance on printed receipts, which is important to us as we continue to work through ways we can reduce our environmental impact.'

Slyp-logo_small.png

Customers' bank transactions will now be accepted as tax invoices thanks to Slyp technology. Credit: Visa Partner.

Kmart is the latest business to adopt Slyp, a game-changing technology developed after four years of hard effort.

Paul Weingarth, CEO and Co-Founder of 'smart receipts', recounted how Slyp came to be following a shopping spree that concluded with him hauling about a ream of paper.

He shared: 'I realised the need for something like Slyp in 2016 after I purchased a chainsaw and received a 50cm long receipt at my local hardware store.'

'The cashier asked me to take a photo of the receipt because it was going to fade over time — it just made no sense to me.'

'We had many iterations of what eventually became the Slyp Smart Receipt and built it in close consultation with retailers, banks and customers to make sure it was as easy, convenient and seamless as possible.'

Paul stated that since Slyp's launching in 2020, it has taken the industry by storm and has become a 'growing network' in no time thanks to the endorsement of all four major Australian banks.

'We are now live with hundreds of brands across more than 1800 locations around Australia,' he added.

'We’re bringing more merchants on every day and we’re working with all of Australia’s biggest banks to bring Smart Receipts to their banking app in the near future.'

Slyp's ultimate goal, according to Paul, is to 'divert as many paper receipts from landfill as possible and eventually move to eradicate them altogether'.

He remarked: 'Paper receipts are too often discarded at the bottom of handbags, abandoned in shopping trolleys or left littering our streets.'

'From here, they end up in landfill or waterways because – contrary to popular belief – paper receipts are not recyclable.'

'They are produced using significant natural resources in the form of trees, water and oil, and are coated in BPA/BPS chemicals, rendering them unrecyclable and extremely unsustainable.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is introducing a new technology at its tills that will completely change the way we shop.
  • The budget retailer is ditching paper receipts in favour of ‘digital smart receipts’ using a tech platform called Slyp.
  • Instead of traditional paper receipts, most of which are not recyclable due to the type of ink used when printing, Kmart customers will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their transaction automatically in their bank app.
  • The move simplifies the buying process for customers as it makes it easier to return items – and it also helps businesses such as Kmart operate in a greener capacity.
  • Kmart is the latest in a string of Australian retailers who have adopted Slyp, a technology that launched in 2020 after four years of development.

There you have it, folks! Do you think other retailers should also adopt this 'smart' paperless technology? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
There is no way I'm going to put my banking details on my phone just so that I can shop in these stores. I definitely subscribe to the side that keeps my personal information just that, personal, I'm not going to risk getting hacked and losing all my money just because I shopped in Kmart.:(
I am happy to use online Banking and have done so for years but draw the line at using my phone, for any banking, to do that I have to trust to the security of my phone and I do not. I will not even use my phone for emails. A phone is for making calls and sending messages. How much thought goes into how the entire population use their phones before some milleniall smart ass comes up with yet another way to confuse the older generation. Banking on your phone involves downloading an App and I hate the damn things, confuse the heck out of me. So I guess if more stores do this I will be buying everything online and will never leave the house!!

Reactions: Lorjoy
We receive a lot of receipts on a daily basis. Whether we're buying groceries, clothes, or just grabbing a coffee, most retailers will print out a long slip of paper detailing our purchase – and they can really add up over time!

While some people might not mind having physical proof of their spending habits (or being able to return items without any fuss), many of us would prefer to go paperless whenever possible.

Thankfully, it looks like Kmart is taking steps in the right direction when it comes to cutting down on waste.

The retail giant is making the switch to 'digital smart receipts' that make use of an innovative technology platform called Slyp.

If you’re not familiar with the term, a 'smart' receipt is a fully itemised record of your checkout transaction that is sent to your mobile banking app instead of a paper receipt that most customers never bother to save.

It should be noted that traditional paper receipts are not recyclable due to the type of ink used. So this move is good for the environment!

money-series.jpg

Kmart has declared that it will transition to digital receipts and eliminate paper receipts. Credit: Pexels.

Customers who use the 'smart receipts' will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their purchase automatically in their mobile banking app, which is even more convenient because it saves you the hassle of keeping track of your paper receipts!

And if you think paper receipts are going away, think again – Kmart is offering 'smart' receipts as well, except they’re only currently available for NAB customers.

The change simplifies the shopping experience for customers by making it faster and easier to return products. It also helps businesses operate in a more environmentally responsible manner.

Kmart's Chief Customer Officer, Lil Velis-Bowker, expressed her delight at the news, stating that it will 'improve and enhance customers' shopping experiences' both in-store and online.

Ms Velis-Bowker said: 'By switching to digital smart receipts we are able to give our customers a more seamless shopping experience, by taking away the stress of needing to keep hold of a physical printed receipt.'

'This allows our customers to process returns more easily, but also gives them a great opportunity to have a history of their Kmart purchases easily at hand in their banking app.'

'By using digital smart receipts we will also be able to reduce our future reliance on printed receipts, which is important to us as we continue to work through ways we can reduce our environmental impact.'

Slyp-logo_small.png

Customers' bank transactions will now be accepted as tax invoices thanks to Slyp technology. Credit: Visa Partner.

Kmart is the latest business to adopt Slyp, a game-changing technology developed after four years of hard effort.

Paul Weingarth, CEO and Co-Founder of 'smart receipts', recounted how Slyp came to be following a shopping spree that concluded with him hauling about a ream of paper.

He shared: 'I realised the need for something like Slyp in 2016 after I purchased a chainsaw and received a 50cm long receipt at my local hardware store.'

'The cashier asked me to take a photo of the receipt because it was going to fade over time — it just made no sense to me.'

'We had many iterations of what eventually became the Slyp Smart Receipt and built it in close consultation with retailers, banks and customers to make sure it was as easy, convenient and seamless as possible.'

Paul stated that since Slyp's launching in 2020, it has taken the industry by storm and has become a 'growing network' in no time thanks to the endorsement of all four major Australian banks.

'We are now live with hundreds of brands across more than 1800 locations around Australia,' he added.

'We’re bringing more merchants on every day and we’re working with all of Australia’s biggest banks to bring Smart Receipts to their banking app in the near future.'

Slyp's ultimate goal, according to Paul, is to 'divert as many paper receipts from landfill as possible and eventually move to eradicate them altogether'.

He remarked: 'Paper receipts are too often discarded at the bottom of handbags, abandoned in shopping trolleys or left littering our streets.'

'From here, they end up in landfill or waterways because – contrary to popular belief – paper receipts are not recyclable.'

'They are produced using significant natural resources in the form of trees, water and oil, and are coated in BPA/BPS chemicals, rendering them unrecyclable and extremely unsustainable.'

Key Takeaways

• Kmart is introducing a new technology at its tills that will completely change the way we shop.
  • The budget retailer is ditching paper receipts in favour of ‘digital smart receipts’ using a tech platform called Slyp.
  • Instead of traditional paper receipts, most of which are not recyclable due to the type of ink used when printing, Kmart customers will receive a fully itemised and tax-compliant record of their transaction automatically in their bank app.
  • The move simplifies the buying process for customers as it makes it easier to return items – and it also helps businesses such as Kmart operate in a greener capacity.
  • Kmart is the latest in a string of Australian retailers who have adopted Slyp, a technology that launched in 2020 after four years of development.

There you have it, folks! Do you think other retailers should also adopt this 'smart' paperless technology? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Well, after putting up with the stupid central checkouts and security checks as you leave, this really is the last straw, and I will be avoiding KMart from now on. I DO NOT use banking apps and will always keep my dockets. I know very well that for warranties I need to copy a receipt and it's not such a big ask. I'm out KMart!

I am happy to use online Banking and have done so for years but draw the line at using my phone, for any banking, to do that I have to trust to the security of my phone and I do not. I will not even use my phone for emails. A phone is for making calls and sending messages. How much thought goes into how the entire population use their phones before some milleniall smart ass comes up with yet another way to confuse the older generation. Banking on your phone involves downloading an App and I hate the damn things, confuse the heck out of me. So I guess if more stores do this I will be buying everything online and will never leave the house!!
And when EFTPOS goes down, then everything stops. Cash IS KING. Join Facebook page Keep Cash: Worldwide.

The receipts could be sent to the Flybuys app when it's used, otherwise a paper one should be offered. Other places do it via reward apps or their own app, not a bank app.

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

What about the Mature generation?
Like my mother who is 87 and does not own a mobile phone?
Still asks for her paper receipt so she can check she has been charged the correct amount.
And also tallies up her spending when gets home to keep to a budget!

I don't have phone banking nor do I use my phone to purchase goods so how are they going to prove my purchase and how am I going to reconcile my purchases when my monthly statement comes in, K mart need to keep paper receipts for dinosaurs like me.
It does say they will still have paper receipts.

Don't use apps on my phone.....I don't have enough data.
Absolutely would not have any banking information on my phone .....I didn't come down in the last shower.
My beef is that the ink on many receipts fades away to illegibility land. Don't know where it goes, even when the receipts are stored in a dark filing cabinet.
I don't mean food items, but receipts for items which come with a 1 or 3 year guarantee.....
I remember when receipts never used to fade. I dont know why it happens now. They must be using invisible ink.

Honestly I am a Senior...have enough trouble with all these new APPS COMING.... why can't we decide what we want......NOT THE COMPANIES...we are LOSING OUR CHOICE WITH ALL THESE APPS....(WHICH I DONT UNDERSTAND NOW!!!!)
Why don't they store your receipt in your Flybuys card when you swipe your card like Woolworths do with their Rewards card. When you go into your Rewards Ap you not only see where you have scored your points but also a copy of your receipt. They would probably capture more people than using a banking ap. I will never use my phone to pay for anything, way too easy for thieves to access your money if your phone gets stolen.

No thank you, I'll pass on that. Woolworths have it all over them. I get receipts via my Everyday Rewards card. I don't and won't have a mobile banking app until I'm absolutely forced to. The more we go along the more we are exposed to hackers - no thanks to that!

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

Bad idea = receipts are only too long because of all the advertising, self promotion & rubbish printed on them. A receipt is a legal requirement - most places ask 'do you want a receipt' so you can always opt out. They are on-spot proof you didn't steal the product.
I won't allow any bank app on my phone because if the phone is stolen or lost my finances are much more vulnerable to scam or misuse.
KEEP THE RECEIPTS, cut the excess!

Reactions: NotNats
bunning has that and the recept is sent to your phone by a text if you like but you do have the opsion to get paper one

Yes, we are leaving seniors behind - the new tech generation doesn't care about anyone that's 1. too old to understand new tech, 2. too poor to buy new tech & 3. (all ages) not able to understand it. In some ways I fit into all 3 of theses, yes I'm only 61 but most of this new tech is way beyond me not just in knowledge but also cost. And really do I need all this new tech crap.

Reactions: Gaena and Judibing

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways

I

Yes, we are leaving seniors behind - the new tech generation doesn't care about anyone that's 1. too old to understand new tech, 2. too poor to buy new tech & 3. (all ages) not able to understand it. In some ways I fit into all 3 of theses, yes I'm only 61 but most of this new tech is way beyond me not just in knowledge but also cost. And really do I need all this new tech crap.
I’m 81 and shop often as KMart as they are largely affordable, but deal with CASH. If they bring this in they’ll lose my custom

Yesterday I spent a long time helping an elderly lady to apply for and fill out forms connected wiht her travelling to the USA to visit her daughter and family. This lady does not have a computer nor printer and does not drive any more. Her phone is only for making calls and she has no 'apps'. I asked some other seniors later whether this demand for almost everything to be done online affected them and the answer in most cases was YES! What will happen for these people and others maybe new to the country who do not have online connections or access? The changing to self -serve checkouts at Supermarkets is another big problem and inconvenience to seniors. Will KMart exclude them from shopping because they don't do online banking?
It is all done to lead us into a cashless, digital society that does not have a place for old people. They are disposable as they are a financial burden on the government. By using your smart phone for everything you are playing right into the hands of those who want to monitor and control every aspect of our lives.

not only oldies. I don't use self checkouts anywhere.
I refuse to use self serve checkouts. A friend of mine was conned into using a self checkout even though he said he didn't want to. He had a trolley full of stuff so when she scanned the first item he said that he'll pay for that and left the full trolley behind. Take that Woolies. If all of us did that once in a while they might reconsider their agenda to automate everything.Asking nicely doesn't seem to work much anymore so you have to take other measures to get the message across but if we all just complain and do nothing, nothing will change.

Reactions: Vinylted
Yesterday I spent a long time helping an elderly lady to apply for and fill out forms connected wiht her travelling to the USA to visit her daughter and family. This lady does not have a computer nor printer and does not drive any more. Her phone is only for making calls and she has no 'apps'. I asked some other seniors later whether this demand for almost everything to be done online affected them and the answer in most cases was YES! What will happen for these people and others maybe new to the country who do not have online connections or access? The changing to self -serve checkouts at Supermarkets is another big problem and inconvenience to seniors. Will KMart exclude them from shopping because they don't do online banking?
It happens to me right now!

money-series.jpg

Slyp-logo_small.png

Key Takeaways