Why We Need to Start Talking About Reverse Mortgages

Taking the step into retirement can feel like a giant leap into the unknown. At the intersection of working life and retirement, many Australians dream of a life of leisure and activity, filled with trips around our great country or journeys beyond its borders, with a life filled with hobbies and small pleasures. Yet, in reality, many Australians find themselves financially restrained, unable to fully enjoy their post-working years to the extent they long to. Breathing life into retirement dreams can, unfortunately, often seem like a distant, unattainable luxury.

More than 62 per cent of Aussies over the age of 65 rely on some form of pension, but it’s alarmingly still not enough to secure a comfortable retirement, according to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The Australian pension alone leaves many scrambling to make ends meet, living below the poverty line without additional income sources.

shutterstock_2176523303.jpg
Let’s debunk the common myth associated with reverse mortgages. Image source: Shutterstock.

Recognising this financial shortfall, more and more Australians over sixty are becoming aware that they’ll need to tap into the wealth tied up in their family homes to successfully fund their retirement. However, does the idea of using your family home as a financial resource fill you with dread? If so, you’re certainly not alone!

That’s why it’s about time we turned our attention to discussing all things reverse mortgages, how they work, debunking the common myths, and how the Heartland Reverse Mortgage* product, in particular, has revolutionised the field of reverse mortgages.

Commonly mistaken as a complex financial contraption, a reverse mortgage is quite simple*. Think of it as a companion to a regular home loan, but designed specifically for Aussies aged sixty and over. It allows older Aussies to unlock some of the equity in their property without having to sell and leave their beloved home*. Do keep in mind, members, that a reverse mortgage is something you should explore when you find yourself in a position where you need it and you should do your research. With a Heartland Reverse Mortgage*, independent legal advice is required and financial advice is strongly recommended. You are also encouraged to discuss taking out the loan with your family and Centrelink to check if it will affect any government entitlements.

Did you know, according to The Global Equity Release Roundtable 2020 survey report*, there has been an uptick in home equity release as more than $15 billion is released globally each year? The trend doesn't seem to be slowing down; it's predicted that this number will reach an impressive $50 billion by 2031!

In Australia, when it comes to equity release services, the reverse mortgage is the belle of the ball. Over 90 per cent of Australian retirees wish to remain living in their homes for as long as possible making the reverse mortgage a top-drawer choice in plumping up those retirement finances* while not having to downsize until you are ready.

When you choose a reverse mortgage*, you’re essentially empowering yourself with a cash boost, available whenever you need it throughout your retirement. The primary advantage they offer is the opportunity to continue living in your own home, without having to entertain the thought of selling or downsizing. There’s also no requirement for regular loan repayments, as the debt is settled at the end of the loan, usually through the sale of your property in the future.

Despite the value and convenience they offer, reverse mortgages often find themselves shrouded in mystery and misconceptions. But fear not, members; Heartland Finance* is here to dispel any confusion and ensure you're equipped with all the facts.

Let's bust some of the top myths now:

Myth 1: 'If I take up a reverse mortgage, the lender will own my home.'

Plenty of people are under the misguided belief that a reverse mortgage somehow grants ownership of your home to the lender. This couldn't be further from the truth! Like a regular home loan, the lender simply holds a mortgage over the property. You continue to own your home and live in it for as long as you wish.

Myth 2: 'I'll burden my children with debt if I take a reverse mortgage.'

Again, incorrect. The federal government has put some healthy regulations in place, stipulating a 'no negative equity guarantee' for each loan. This stops you from owing more than the net sale proceeds of your property. So, your children won't inherit debt from your reverse mortgage.

Myth 3: 'Paying regular instalments towards your reverse mortgage is necessary.'

This one's incorrect, too, although it might be hard to believe! While you can choose to make regular payments, it's not obligatory with a reverse mortgage, interest will be added to the month (compounding) – you can pay at the end. Its flexibility allows you to adjust according to your needs.

The cornerstone of the Heartland Reverse Mortgage* is just that: flexibility. They’ve devised a product adaptable to your changing needs as you continue to ripen gracefully with age. This extraordinarily accommodating approach led comparison site InfoChoice to declare Heartland Reverse Mortgages* as the back-to-back winner of the Best Reverse Mortgage award.

Heartland Finance* has helped more than 26,000 Australian seniors unlock the equity in their home to the value of more than $2 billion.

Heartland Finance* borrowers retain the freedom to adapt, personalise, and modify their reverse mortgage to suit changing needs. From the initial advance to setting aside funds in a cash reserve facility for your future needs, to the ability to make unplanned home repairs, Heartland Finance* could be your ‘financial guardian’ in retirement.

Partnering with organisations such as Dementia Australia* and being 100% committed to the Banking and Financial Services Oath is an added testament to Heartland Finance's dedication to its customers*.

Key Takeaways

• Reverse mortgages* allow Australians aged sixty and over to release some of the equity in their property to boost retirement funding without selling their home.
  • Heartland Reverse Mortgages* offer flexibility, allowing penalty-free loan repayments, flexible options for drawdowns, and cash reserves (standard discharge fee at end of loan). It has been recognised by comparison site InfoChoice as the Best Reverse Mortgage in 2020.
  • There are common misconceptions about reverse mortgages, including that the lender owns the home and that children will inherit debt; both of these are incorrect.
  • The amount that can be borrowed with a Heartland Reverse Mortgage* depends on the borrower's age and the company also offers an equity protection option to protect up to 50 per cent of the net sale proceeds of the home – if you choose this option though the amount available to borrow reduces proportionally.

Let's get the conversation rolling about reverse mortgages, with Heartland Finance*, helping you lead the charge into a comfortable and fulfilling retirement.

To find out more about reverse mortgages, download your free reverse mortgage guide here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Applications are subject to loan approval criteria. Terms, conditions, fees and charges apply. Credit provided by ASF Custodians Pty Ltd (ACN 106 822 780 / Australian Credit Licence No. 386781). Subject to complying with the terms and conditions of the Heartland Reverse Mortgage, you will not owe more than the net sale proceeds of your home and you can keep your home for as long as you choose.

*Please note, members, that this is a sponsored article. All content of ours that has an asterisk next to it means we may get a commission to write an article or post a deal. We do this to assist with the costs of running the SDC. Thank you!

Reactions: Ezzy and David Gray
Sponsored
I would sell and downsize before taking out a,reversed mortgage
I've worked all my life to pay off my mortgage and have something to leave my kids.

Beware you still pay interest on these reverse mortgages, the only ones this would be good for are those who have no one they are leaving their property too, even then I don't trust it.

If you need to do this just sell and downsize

I would sell and downsize before taking out a,reversed mortgage
I've worked all my life to pay off my mortgage and have something to leave my kids.

Beware you still pay interest on these reverse mortgages, the only ones this would be good for are those who have no one they are leaving their property too, even then I don't trust it.

If you need to do this just sell and downsize
l agree why pay off one mortgage just to have another. Pass.

Congrats Maddie This will help lots of SDC members!
I believe if you could use extra cash Reverse Mortgage is the way to go.
No, you won't have another mortgage.
No, you won't put yourself in debt.
Yes, you do pay interest, say you take a$200.000 loan you pay around 4% compound interest.
When you die or sell then the interest becomes payable.
What are you going to-do with the cash living in an old Folks home??
If your home is worth $600.000 to $800.000 there would be plenty left over for the Kids to share.
Let' face it, they don't won't the house they will want to get the cash.
I spoke to my daughter about when I'm gone, she said "can I have Mums jewellery as a keepsake,
and that's it nothing else, you worked hard for your wealth you should spend and enjoy what time you have left".
We are proud of our daughter!

Congrats Maddie This will help lots of SDC members!
I believe if you could use extra cash Reverse Mortgage is the way to go.
No, you won't have another mortgage.
No, you won't put yourself in debt.
Yes, you do pay interest, say you take a$200.000 loan you pay around 4% compound interest.
When you die or sell then the interest becomes payable.
What are you going to-do with the cash living in an old Folks home??
If your home is worth $600.000 to $800.000 there would be plenty left over for the Kids to share.
Let' face it, they don't won't the house they will want to get the cash.
I spoke to my daughter about when I'm gone, she said "can I have Mums jewellery as a keepsake,
and that's it nothing else, you worked hard for your wealth you should spend and enjoy what time you have left".
We are proud of our daughter!
I obviously don't understand the concept.
If you won't have another mortgage ,why is it called a reverse mortgage?
If you won't be in debt why would you pay interest , isn't that a debt?
What are you going to do with cash in an old folks home. You most likely have sold your home to afford the old folks home.

Read the post again the concept is simple.
1 You don't pay anything, not a cent, until you SELL or DIE.
2 If you sell your house the loan then becomes payable, and you will still have capital. Don't forget your property increases in value every year, check the Real estate market.
3 You are not in debt. You leave this world with one less asset.
My mother passed away in an old folk's home.
She did not have a house to sell.
My father passed away at his downsized unit, He didn't sell anything, except the house after Mum died.

2 If you sell your house the loan then becomes payable, and you will still have capital. Don't forget your property increases in value every year, check the Real estate market.
My father passed away at his downsized unit, He didn't sell anything, except the house after Mum died.
Well thanks to basically clarifying that I'm an idiot

Reactions: Leenie

Cons​

There are plenty of these. Are you ready to roll your eyes?

• You could lose your home. This one’s the kicker. Lots of reverse mortgage lenders will try to sweet talk you into believing this isn’t possible. But what do you think will happen if you use up all the money from your reverse mortgage and start missing bills like your property taxes or homeowners insurance? Or if you have to move to a nursing home or assisted living facility and can’t afford to make payments on your reverse mortgage. (Remember: You’ll start owing payments on a reverse mortgage if you move.) Here’s a spoiler: You’ll lose your home. Plain and simple.
  • You’ll pay lots of fees. Reverse mortgages are loaded with extra costs. Some of the biggest are the origination fee, mortgage insurance premium, closing costs and servicing fees. All those costs add up quickly—we’re talking close to $10,000.
  • You could be getting roped into a scam. Reverse mortgages stink, but most lenders are legit. There are some bad guys out there, though. The reverse mortgage industry has had problems with scams and fraud over the years and, if you’re not careful, you’ll wind up as the latest victim.
  • The interest will add up quickly. Even though you don’t pay monthly payments on a reverse mortgage, your lender will start charging you interest the moment you take it out—and that interest will compound until the loan is repaid. So if you take out a $175,000 reverse mortgage at 6% interest on a $300,000 house and you don’t pay it back for 25 years, you (or your family) will owe a whopping $260,000 in interest on top of the $175,000 you borrowed. No thanks!
  • You’ll likely owe more than your home is worth. Advertisers promoting reverse mortgages love to spin the old line: “You will never owe more than your home is worth!” That is a complete lie. Let’s go back to the scenario we just looked at where you owe $260,000 in interest on a $175,000 loan. Add those two numbers together, and the total amount you’d owe comes out to $435,000—for a $300,000 home.
  • You could leave your family a huge mess. We’ve talked several times about how it’s very possible to not owe your lender a dime on a reverse mortgage until you die. Well, if you do bite the dust before paying off your loan, your family will have two options: Pay back the entire amount you owe, or give up your home to the bank. Is that really the sort of situation you want to leave your family in when you die? Is that what you want your legacy to be? We’ll answer that for you: Heck no

Having survived 2 mean & selfish husbands. I have been in the rental market for over 20 years. The hardship for me is that I have nothing to capitalize on. The only thing is that the more old folk take up a reverse mortgage the less house stock there is for others to gain home ownership. This filters down to the renters in our society ie ME. Although I now have a new place to call home it has been a long hard haul to find one that we qualified for. Plus the people in Public housing who have at least 3 bedrooms should be downsized automatically.

As a Retired Banker and Financial Planner of 50 years' experience, I would strongly recommend that deep and considered research be undertaken before taking out a Reverse Mortgage. Think carefully and tread warily.
Good advice

Reactions: Ezzy
1. You pay back the ammount you borrowed on your home.

2. You pay interest that adds up, it's not just one lot of interest.

3. You pay large fees on top of all this.

Reactions: Leenie
Having survived 2 mean & selfish husbands. I have been in the rental market for over 20 years. The hardship for me is that I have nothing to capitalize on. The only thing is that the more old folk take up a reverse mortgage the less house stock there is for others to gain home ownership. This filters down to the renters in our society ie ME. Although I now have a new place to call home it has been a long hard haul to find one that we qualified for. Plus the people in Public housing who have at least 3 bedrooms should be downsized automatically.
I totally agree , people In public housing should be made to downsize , why should one person or a couple have a 3 bedroom house when there are so many families needing a house
I think people think once they are in a public housing , it's theirs forever . It's there to help them and as their family leave home then they should be moved to a smaller property . It is after all public housing

or spend your super, as it was originally set up to support retirees to live off in the retirement, then go on the aged pension. Instead, too many retirees seem to think it's a fund they need to leave to their kids as an inheritance and as such live off the smell of an oily rag.