When anyone rings my mobile I'm told who is calling and that includes Potential Scam calls, or those wanting you to sign up for whatever, I just reject the call. As someone else pointed out, if it's genuine the caller will leave a message.

Reactions: Babbie
no-one can know what is going on on any of your devices!
Pardon? How does someone get access to your devices if they're not given a number or if you've downloaded the software which allows them to steal your details? Has Mandrake the Magician been revived recently?
And might it be a bit of a help if the names of these "well known" software programs are sent out along with your items revealing that you can so easily fall prey to them?

I dont think anyone of us on here need reminding almost daily about these scammers. We have heard them all before

One of the funniest videos I saw was on YouTube where a person with very advanced technical knowledge was able to get access to the scammers computer after downloading the “sharing” software. He was able to completely delete everything on the scammers computer and had the scammer in tears. Worth a search for a laugh.
Search for “scam the scammer”.

When anyone rings my mobile I'm told who is calling and that includes Potential Scam calls, or those wanting you to sign up for whatever, I just reject the call. As someone else pointed out, if it's genuine the caller will leave a message.
I have the same on my mobile phone Potential Fraud Suspected Spam, this is the main reason why I purchased a smart phone it saves me many hassles. Same with Private numbers I don't answer any of them if they block their numbers I consider there's a reason why.
Plus I have a Samsung smart phone it as I would imagine most smart phones would do it tells me the number or the person if it's one of my contacts or potential fraud / suspected spam I don't even have to get the phone out of my pocket for the spammers one thing I have noticed is that they only call my number a maximum of three times then hang up which I consider strange I don't have time to get the phone out of my pocket let alone answer the call.
I would be very interested to know if anyone has noticed that happened to them, Please advise via this thread . Thank you in advance.

My best encounter was on Friday night when I was using messenger and talking to five very different Elon Musks at the same time all trying a different scam on me. I played along for hours. Even after trying to end the conversation with "Well it's been nice talking to you Mr Scammer but it's for bed" they still tried to get me to hand over money if some way but all of them were using different methods. Very entertaining Friday night.

Some months ago I got a call from an English person. If it's anyone with an accent I immediately hang up as scammers usually operate from overseas. Anyway the Englishman said that he was from Bendigo Bank fraud squad and they'd found an oddity. Someone had accessed my Woolworths account in Perth and as I was in Victoria they thought it suspicious. So he asked me to verify my acoount details for privacy issues. Well I refused as I suspected scam. I actually said to him," I'm not giving you any details as you could be a scammer. You are from the bank and should have all my details. You tell me what my account number is." Well he did, as well as the CVC number on the back of the card. He then said in order for them to refund the money to my account I needed to provide the code number on my phone. Stupidly I did without checking the warning that comes with the code. He then asked me if it had been refunded. I toggled between screens and said no, so he told me to redo the code connection. That's when I read the warning which said do not provide this code to anyone including banking staff. I repeated this to him and he said it didn't apply to fraud squad. I started to smell a rat and didn't give him another code number. I actually work in the building that houses the Bendigo Bank so I went over to the staff and asked them if this was legit. The teller asked the scammer to provide her with the special code number that verifies the fraud squad, which of course he couldn't, so I hung up. The teller then rang the real fraud squad and found that it was a scammer based in London who had taken $5,000 out of my account to buy a Hermes handbag. Fortunately, they were able to stop the transaction and I didn't lose any money. But even though I was wary, I still could've been taken. Now I block all numbers that I don't know and just in case one slips by I just hang up.

SIMPLE!
If you take a call like this there is no need to hang up immediately.
Just string them along to annoy them.
If you are stupid enough to download anything at the request of any unknown person from an unsolicited phone call then you are a complete fool and deserve to lose your life savings!
If I'm not busy I'll do this. I can sometimes keep them on wasting their time as I pretend to go along with it.

Reactions: Kevin. A.
This is good advice, but nothing new. Scammers are the reason I don’t answer mobile numbers I don’t recognise. If it is important , the caller will always leave a message and then I will decide whether I call them back.
Hear! Hear! I totally agree with what you said and I basically do the same as you. One thing more that I do. I have an umpire's whistle, as well as a couple of other loud things, that I will blow into the phone. Apparently it is very uncomfortable to the listener.:LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Babbie and Robeo56
I enjoy doing that.
Hi Bruce C. I am Bruce V and my middle initial is C. And I sometimes do that too. Had one bloke strung along for over half an hour one day. My PC was actually at the other end of the house from me but I pretended to press keys that he said Was all I could do to keep a straight face and not crack up on the phone!:LOL:

Reactions: NotNats
Hi Bruce C. I am Bruce V and my middle initial is C. And I sometimes do that too. Had one bloke strung along for over half an hour one day. My PC was actually at the other end of the house from me but I pretended to press keys that he said Was all I could do to keep a straight face and not crack up on the phone!:LOL:
Brilliant!

Don't answer ANY NUMBERS I don't know.
Leave a Message!
And I also ask MR Google to check the number on Cybertrace.com.au for scam numbers.
And BLOCK numbers.

Reactions: Robeo56
I dont think anyone of us on here need reminding almost daily about these scammers. We have heard them all before
Everybody needs CONSTANT reminding that the Internet is a dangerous tool in the wrong hands. NEVER let your guard down. Not all users are computer nerds.

Hear! Hear! I totally agree with what you said and I basically do the same as you. One thing more that I do. I have an umpire's whistle, as well as a couple of other loud things, that I will blow into the phone. Apparently it is very uncomfortable to the listener.:LOL:
If you do that they might ring you back and give you a blast on their whistle.

Reactions: Vee60
And not even smart phone nerds, Bill MacL. Funny thing happened yesterday, I’ve tried to call an acquaintance from the same club I’m in for some info. Though leaving a voicemail, I’ve never heard back. Finally I’ve connected in person and she informed me that she doesn’t respond to numbers not known to her. I’ve asked her about the voicemail I left and she admitted she doesn’t know how to use it. Ha! So me, who is just borderline about the IT stuff had to show her how it’s done. I wonder if she’d remember how to do it.