My favourite memory as a young boy was diving for coins thrown by tourists off the Manly wharf & with the money, then buying fish & chips for lunch, washed down by a coke.
Doing this every weekend, I saved enough money to then go to Luna Park. Such fond memories. 😊

• Love
Reactions: Vella Gonzaga
My most precious memories, were of Christmas Day. They were spent with family and extended family on the beach. Each family would bring along food to share. The highlight was always the beach cricket game following lunch. The bestspot to field was by the waters edge, should the ball be hit of our heads you got to splash into the water and cool off. Following the game one of the adults would go over the road and return with ice-cream and icy poles for all. Nothing can compete with the sheer pleasure of such a simple and fun day for all.

• Love
Reactions: Annette V
Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

"What has Australia lost to time that you want to bring back?"
"What do you miss most about the Australia you grew up in?"
"How do you think your childhood was different to your kids/grandkids?"

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852
In primary school, we marched around the quadrangle every Monday morning. We saluted the flag and sang God Save the Queen. This became very real for me when in 1953, because when I was 10, Queen Elizabeth visited Adelaide, and we all went to Wayville Showgrounds to see her! We each received a small New Testament bible as a memento.

Reactions: Coops
Growing up in a small country town in SE Queensland the only heating was a wood stove on the kitchen and one of my fondest memories was dressing for school and my darling dad would have my school uniform draped over the top rungs so my clothes would be be warm when I dressed

• Love
Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852

View attachment 3852

So so many memories I could write a page full. From the milkman in the early hours to the baker doing his rounds. How a couple of cents could get you a bag full of lollies to the outback toilet. We could safely play in the streets and knew when it was time to go home. But my favourite would be staying with my Nana they are treasured memories

I have lots of wacky things our family did and I cherish those wacky things, especially as I lost my mum quite young from Cancer! Growing up in a poor housing commission part of Sydney, my parents always found a way of rounding up some cash for Christmas. One year my 3 younger brothers were to receive a trampoline for Christmas.... a normal person would set this up in the backyard, but not my Dad! He was determined it be "under" the tree! He set the thing up over night in the middle of our loungeroom (moved all the furniture out) set the tree on top of it! And Tada!!! Your present under the tree!!!! So silly really, as then the boys had to help him dismantle the whole thing and reassemble outside!! Kept them busy on Christmas Day :)

• Love
I was born in 1955 it was a great time growing up ..all the kids in our street would be in and out of eash others homes ..playing marbles (never see it now days ) fishing down the creek at end of street catching very small fish and bringing home alive and sitting under huge mango tree ..recathing them from a big container ...Christmas times was huge ..grandparents cousins family friends ..and all those aunties and uncles ..that of cause werent really aunties and uncles
We used to make kites from sticks newspaper and flour and water (our glue) i could go on and on ..1 thing i will say is it was great clean fun growing up ..people had respect for eash other ..although i was adopted i had the best upbringing a person could have ..
Cheers Bev

One of my earliest happy memories was of the giddy euphoria I felt when my squeals of delightful terror, pleading “Higher! Higher! Push me higher” were answered with a firm adult hand pressed into my tiny four year old back, as I flew through the air on a rope & plank swing that hung from the giant bough of the ancient plum tree in our back yard in Merrylands, in suburban Sydney.

I hardly ever closed my eyes when I was in that swing. I used to hold on for dear life, and lean back as far as I could, just a little bit beyond safe, just until it felt a little dangerous, and I could catch glimpses of the sky through the tree’s purple leaves.

I could survey my whole world from that swing in my purple tree. I could see the vegetable patch with my Grandfather toiling there daily, producing food for our family. I could see the outside wash house, with my Mother or my Grandmother standing at the old (though new then) electric washing machine.
I could see the backyard Dunny…. down the concrete path, halfway between the house and the back fence, just before the vegie patch…. that was like walking a 100 miles to pee when it was dark or cold or raining, but we never thought twice about it.

I could see anyone approaching from the back door to spoil my fun, I could see the neighbours backyards on both sides of our house and if I stood up on my swing, I could usually see over the fence and spy on what they were up to. I could pretty much survey my whole world from that tree swing.

As I got older and braver, I would climb it to pick it’s sweet, juicy black plums. Eating dozens of them a day. Their juice used to run down my arms, down my chin & typically would also ruin my clothes. But despite the vast quantities of fruit I ate, my appetite for dinner was never ruined. Fast forward 56 years and I still eat too much fruit and never ruin my appetite for dinner! Funny the memories that never leave us.

I grew up in a family of 15 children with the most incredible parents. Today people still say to me “it must have been terrible for you growing up like that” I always respond “it was wonderful-I was taught to share, wait my turn, appreciate what I got, respect, kindness, love and manners. My parents were resilient & loving in the face of all adversities & never gave up “ I am 73 years old, my parents both long passed and I wish the world was like that today. My children, grandchildren and baby great grandchildren will all have the memories passed on to them. Life is good but I do miss how uncomplicated it was !
I grew up in an Italian migrant family (I was the first born Aussie in my family). Though I only had 2 brothers, I often felt like a belonged to a huge family because of all the "cousins" and distant relatives that all lived close by and who used to all congregate together. I loved your story.

Reactions: DrivingGirl
For sure , the days of playing outside without all the fear of these days. Then in summer, we'd camp out in my dads' trailer in the backyard. Watch the stars and tell stories. Very special.

Reactions: DrivingGirl
I miss the big Christmas parties with all the family Grandparents to Grandchildren, the cricket game in the backyard, finding the sixpence in Xmas pudding, singing around the piano. Making a mess with all wrapping off presents. It doesn't get anymore Australian than that🌲🥰🇦🇺👍
I think that’s typical of all Southern Hemisphere Christmases. I miss it too but from South Africa!

View attachment 3852

I lived in a small town and the picture theater was a great place once a week, off to the show we went if we had been good all week. In our pockets was a few squares of home made toffee to chew before it got sticky.
Those were the days of fun in the mud, fishing in the creek, all good fun one does not see many of todays tecno kids en joying

Pala-ping-pong! Pala-ping-pong! My four year old brother would mimic the thrilling drift of carnival music heading our way in the suburbs. Mr Whippy had come calling. All the children in the street streamed out of their houses, coinage in sweaty little hands. The man in the pink and cream van did not need to work hard or persuasively for business here, and he knew it. We jostled in unruly lines, to hand over our pocket money for an ice cream that was insanely creamy - we had only ever had Amscol and Peter's hard bricks to compare with.
And sometimes, if you'd saved up particularly well, you could afford the banana split. But that was showing off, and you had to deal with the hard stares of envy from the neigbourhood kids.
Yes..... And I have been looking for a Mr Whippy experience the rest of my life.

• Love
I miss my childhood when we used to go rabbiting:::played with other kids knowing it was safe to be outside and even though Australia is my country Malta is my home and really loved representing them in the 2006 commonwealth games::eek:verall this country is only what we make it

When I was a kid the suburban street we lived on was dirt. All the kids in our dead end street could be found out there in the dirt every afternoon; playing marbles, jumping rope, drawing and jumping hopscotch grids, playing knuckle bones, sometimes just drawing. If a car came along which wasn't often you just waited on the footpath until it had gone past. We all went home when the street lights came on. Sometimes even to each others homes for tea. We all had a great, safe, busy childhood on our dirt street and we all stood sadly on the footpath the day the council men came and laid the bitumen. Nothing was ever the same again.

• Love
Reactions: Annette V