Visiting my dear old Aunt, who lived out in the bush, who was as poor as poor. I can still taste her Vegimite sandwiches, they where the best !!!!

What has Australia lost to time that you want to bring back?"

Good old 60s Holden they were made tough back then, remember my dad had one a great station wagon. I recall as a child I remembered the number plate HPH225 so when I walked home from school and see dads car parked outside the pub he would give me a lift the rest of the way home.
"What do you miss most about the Australia you grew up in?"

I miss my mum and dad they have passed on and the family is just not the same without them!

"How do you think your childhood was different to your kids/grandkids?"

So so different technology in this day and age has come such a long way. If only it was back in my day. I do remember however that I loved it when the calculators came out as I had learning difficulties as a child and the calculator changed my life.

That’s me on my dads lap!

Attachments

• B302067A-6074-495B-BCAC-3B6BC9F8CE8A.jpeg
    B302067A-6074-495B-BCAC-3B6BC9F8CE8A.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
I remember lying on a small log bridge that crossed our Stony Creek with my hand in the water trying to emulate my Father tickling trout. I never did catch a trout but my Father did

Reactions: Strawb
Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

"What has Australia lost to time that you want to bring back?"

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852
I fondly remember a Chinese takeaway store in downtown Ipswich named Jimmy Wah. We lived not far from it and because this was before takeaway containers, we would go with saucepans and pots that would be filled up to take home.

Hi guys... As the SDC veterans are no doubt well aware, we tend to run a competition once a month or so with a $100 Coles or Woolies voucher. Previous competitions have included things like submitting your funniest joke, the photo you're most proud of taking, and even your best tips for keeping tidy and organised around the house.

This one is a little different. We want to hear about your most poignant memories from the Australia you grew up in.

Some of the ways you could frame your answer might be by answering a question like:

Alternatively you could simply tell us what your most cherished childhood memory is!

The winner (we know this is a bit of a subjective thing, but we can only pick one person sadly) will receive a gift voucher for $100 to the supermarket of their choice (Coles, Woolies, Aldi, etc.). We plan to run the competition from today until the end of July.

View attachment 3852
I remember every Saturday going to a new building that was being constructed and searching for Coke bottles. They were the 1 litre glass ones and you received 20 cents refund for each of them. I would go to the takeaway shop across the road and cash them in. Chips and Potato Scallops would be purchased with the money and taken home for the family.
I never thought about damaging anything and just grabbed the discarded bottles.

I owned the milkbar opposite the primary school in the sixties at Yagoona on the Hume Highway. One the corner front door we had your old fashion lolly counter.Full of whole boxes of favorites like cobblers freckles jaffas snakes muststicks cigarettes chocolate babies bullets and so on. The school bell would ring and the kids maded a beeline to us every afternoon it was like party time every afternoon Monday to Friday. The smiles laughter and excitement was priceless . Those kids are all grown up now but still see us in the street with a smile a wave or a chat MEMORIES.

I came to Australia as a refugee child of 10 years old from Hungary Everything was strange,the language,the culture.and after 60years here this is a different country now. The community feeling is gone now everyone is too busy to care about anyone.

Reactions: Strawb
The excitement of visiting Coles Cafateria. It required us wearing our best clothes, making sure we got a laminate table before we lined up with one kid left to guard it. Lining up with excited anticipation with the 100’s of others as we slowly made our way to the food choices. The sound of our shoe squeaks on the linoleum floor. Choosing our favorite pie& chips and jellied fruit. Paying the lady in the white starched uniform and hat. Listening to everyone’s knives and forks being scraped over their plates. A totally wonderful and memorable experience. As I write this I can hear and smell this.

Last edited:
My grandkids will never do this. Take elephants for a walk in a suburban street. Perry's circus had their depot behind our house in Beaumaris, Vic. As a five year old my days were spent cuddling the trunks of Ginny and Topsy and taking them for a stroll around the unmade streets for daily exercise. Occasionally we would call Tex, the trainer, to bring an elephant to push a bogged car. This is how it was always done...so I thought. I realized years later that my childhood was unique. Elephants are my favourite animal.

My grandkids will never do this. Take elephants for a walk in a suburban street. Perry's circus had their depot behind our house in Beaumaris, Vic. As a five year old my days were spent cuddling the trunks of Ginny and Topsy and taking them for a stroll around the unmade streets for daily exercise. Occasionally we would call Tex, the trainer, to bring an elephant to push a bogged car. This is how it was always done...so I thought. I realized years later that my childhood was unique. Elephants are my favourite animal.
WOW .. that would have been amazing

I remember taking soft drink bottles to our local milk bar to get a refund and I was maybe 10 and those bottles were glass, we would then buy ice blocks and hot chips wrapped in newspaper with vinegar , does anyone even add vinegar to their hot chips anymore

Growing up in peakhurst Sydney and Dulwich Hill we would sleep with windows open , we would walk home late at night and walk through a park with no fear. We played alot of out door games, hopscotch, elastics, skipping, what's the time Mr wolf and many more games. Today it's all games on phones, tablets and computers. I grew up in the 60s and 70s how nice would it be to be able to go back for just one day

As a “ baby boomer “ I had a wonderful childhood with the majority of my school holidays spent in the country with my grandparents who owned a timber, hardware and building business. I roamed free in a small country town spending time at the local pool, picture theatre and golf course. When able I went out on the back of a truck to house building sites , annoyed the tank builder, watched the local farrier or spent time “serving “ in the shop.I was able to go spotlighting for rabbits at night and all this while being a young girl with no danger apparent.
I also spent time with my grandparents hearing about the “olden days “ when life was much harsher, babies born prematurely were wrapped in cotton wool put in a shoe box to the side of the stove to keep warm and hope they survived, all transport was horse and buggy and families really worked together.
It was a wonderful childhood

My enduring nostalgic memories arise from aromatics.
With incredible love, I recall the fragrance of my Mum's favourite "scent" - Black Rose, by Goya.
The memory of this dainty bottle on her dressing table, used sparingly on special occasions, is lasting.
The aromas my Mum created caring for us are so emotive: lighting the kerosene lanterns on dark mornings and the kerosene heater to cook our porridge, the enormous pot of soup or stew bubbling on the stove top for hours, the sponge baked for the birthday child, the fresh batch of scones rolled up in a small tablecloth, the whiff of Dettol on our cut knees, the vapour of Vicks rubbed into our chests, the delicacy of the flowers in the garden - sweet peas, lilacs, violets, jonquils, daffodils, roses, bouvardia, lavender, gardenias.
A favourite is my Grandpa bringing us our "living" Christmas tree each year, a large branch axed from a pine tree on his orchard. Our tree would fill the corner next to the fireplace, and would last for about 6 weeks.
The lingering fragrance of the pine needles permeated our house until they started to drop.
SO GOOD!

View attachment 3852
My mother died in 1960. Two years later I came home from school as a 7 year old feeling very sick. My dad asked what I had eaten that day. I confessed to having eaten some lollies. (Dad made sure we always ate very healthfully!)
"And where did they come from?"
"I bought sixpence worth at the local store," I honestly responded.
"And where did you get the money for them?
"My teacher, asked me to go to the shop at recess time and buy her cigarettes. She gave me the sixpence for helping her."
The shop was about four blocks away from the school--about a kilometre away!
For some odd reason I never got to buy cigarettes for anyone ever again!

1942. Wartime. Japanese subs in Sydney Harbour. Shells over Sydney. My country uncle, managing a large sheep station south of Gundagai, says: "Get out of there - come down to the farm". So we do, mother and two sons. I am three and a half. Come June 4th, it's my fourth birthday. I walk into the big country kitchen and there on the table is a cake with four candles. My aunt says: "When you're four, you're a man!" Just then three big piggery workers came in to the kitchen, so I lifted my shoulders and tried to talk real big, because, after all, I was a man now!
It's a video in my head.

I was born in 1948 and remember a great life.
Lovely people around me, you could run around or ride your bike anywhere and be safe.
Good schools, bottled milk which one would get a splinter from the seat and poke holes in the top of milk bottle ( maybe that was just me ).
Plenty of jobs, cracker night and a lot more

I grew up in the 50’s and I think we were so lucky. Not only was it the best time but we grew up in the country and we’re always out and about and only came home around milking time. One of my most fun memories was of getting a CB piece of galvanised iron and sliding down the side of a steep hill and rolling off before we hit the barbwire fence at the bottom of the hill.

My most precious memories of being a small child is going camping with the family at Lake Tabourie. Boxing day mum and dad would pack up the car with all the camping gear, four kids and the dog. The kids could choose one toy they had received for Christmas as the room in the car was limited.

We had an old canvas tent tilly lamps,camp stretchers and a portable gas stove.
Our grandparents would come down for a few days to spend with us.
We enjoyed swimming, fishing, snorkelling making many memories together. No phones, ipads, computers for entertainment, just each other to spend quality times together.
We also met and made friends with people from all over Australia.
I still reminisce about these special times. We have lost our grandparents, our dad, little brother and our dog pixie but no one can remove the memories of these special times we shared together.
If only we could wind back the hands of time to revisit these special holiday times in my childhood and see our departed loved ones one more time.