The latest move by Coles, Woolworths and Kmart sparked outrage from shoppers

Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

So, he took to social media with an outraged post that quickly went viral.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 10.58.52 AM.png
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

Shoppers have also expressed their unhappiness with how the machines work.

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 11.28.03 AM.png
Supermarkets responded to the claims of their customers. Credit: Unsplash

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
If everyone that is not happy with self service then you fill up a trolley and leave it, if you don't get decent service. I've done it twice now and it is amazing how the staff at my local Woolies recognise me and open a register to serve me and the others that don't want to use self serve checkouts. You have to make a point to make these people aware that you are not happy.
The day that some of the big stores go cashless we have a circle of friends that will go in this store, fill up our trolleys and leave them.
It was done at a Costco in the US and they had to employ extra staff to re stock over $14000.00 worth of goods. A week later the store had a sign at the front saying "cash is happily accepted". That is what I call a good result!
I like this idea - but only if there is a problem. Put your hands up and say you can't be bothered and walk out.

Enough BS from the companies - the reasons for the self serve push are:

* Reduce staff costs
* Collect data
* Move away from cash
* Encourage more regular shopping - you just can't do do a full trolley once a week.
* Push customers to home delivery - more profit and have you noticed more staff on the floor packing orders than those at the checkouts?

Noticed at my Woolies the other day that whilst the mindless millennials are standing with their phone in line for self serve, there were about 35 people queuing up for four manned checkouts. Not one appeared under the age of about 40.

Reactions: Pommyoz
Start shopping elsewhere and let them know why. If we don't push back then they will continue the cashless force this upon us.
That's all very well and good if you have a choice of grocery retailers. But when you only have Coles or Woolies to choose from it's just picking the lesser of the two evils.

Reactions: Observer
Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

View attachment 32995
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

View attachment 32996

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.

That's all very well and good if you have a choice of grocery retailers. But when you only have Coles or Woolies to choose from it's just picking the lesser of the two evils.
Yep we only have Woolworths here. Got to go 8km for the IGA. Think it's time we all just boycotted them or fill a trolley and when they force you to the self serve, leave it and walk out.. Bunnings is the worst

Reactions: JedCorella
This topic is so over rated with comments of those that are impatient or find they can't steal anymore.
Sadly the comments are all coming from retired people.

Simply refuse to go into the stores..... they are posting billions $ of profits....... let's see how we can fix that.... bring them to their knees
You gonna have one hell of a job to try and accomplish that 🙄

Reactions: IAN3005

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

No experience at all don't use the self-serve checkouts cost job's and if you say it doesn't your in la la land guaranteed all they are after profits and if you're dumb enough to play their game more fool you 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

I refuse to use self checkout because I'm not on their payroll no super and no discount for diy

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

I shop Coles online and my complaint is the shoddy way the pickers select fruit and vegs, usually, the bananas are either minute and overripe or huge and bursting, also when packing they usually pack things like biscuits and eggs at the bottom with heavy items on top.

Reactions: June E
This topic is so over rated with comments of those that are impatient or find they can't steal anymore.
Well good on you. I guess when you get old you will expect everyone to pander to your needs. But you have shot yourself in the foot. I am neither impatient nor have a choice of where I shop. I am old and retired. I do my own shopping and expect to be able to do it with the full support of the shops I go to. Supermarkets do not give enough space to allow for proper self service shopping for the elderly or for anyone with a large amount of goods. It has also been seen by me that Bunnings in particular will close all manned checkouts on weekends and that can be an issue. It loads up the trade desk with checkouts for those who have bulky or large items. Young people are accepting this shit and not questioning it. But a time will come when their kids can't get jobs and then they will scream. Why do we have to scan our own groceries or whatever or bag it ourselves when we pay ever increasing prices for them and the suppliers make ever increasing profits

Just wait in the line to have your items scanned at a staffed checkout or Shop elsewhere if you don't like it, oh, wait, they all do it, including Aldi.
I must admit that I have never seen an Aldi Self-serve, as mine will always call another operator as soon as it looks like a line is about to form.

As with most of the above I also find a great lack of manned checkouts, and for that one reason I now use Woolies where the problem seems much less than Coles / Kmart. Where I live there are 2 basic consumers, elderly and young families. Elderly do not wish to take the jobs off workers (without any benefit), and young families who do not want to hold baby in one arm while doing their own checkouts. It is then easy to pick the few single / lone, or upper school people who generally use self-serve. NEVER ME.

Our Aldi doesn’t have self serve but even if they did there’s no way I would want to be trying to put our3 week shop through ss register especially when the Aldi staff can scan through it all in no time at all the system works great.

Reactions: Noknojon

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

I don’t like them and I refuse to use them, but must admit I have used them twice for my convenience but once the staff pushed me towards the self checkouts so I just acted dumb pushing buttons hahaha she had to keep coming back and resetting the machine hahaha in the end she rung up my order………. Don’t push an old lady to do something she doesn’t want to do 😂😂

I don’t like them and I refuse to use them, but must admit I have used them twice for my convenience but once the staff pushed me towards the self checkouts so I just acted dumb pushing buttons hahaha she had to keep coming back and resetting the machine hahaha in the end she rung up my order………. Don’t push an old lady to do something she doesn’t want to do 😂😂
In desperation, once in Coles, being in a hurry I did this myself (only 3 items) and I just said, "Where are the buttons to enter prices?" They did it on the spot for me. Again, never push oldies, we have been there!

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

I don't self check out, butt if i did and they wanted to check my receipts then they bettter have a copper with them otherwise it won't be happening.

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

I won't use the self checkouts at Woolies because I'd rather keep someone in a job. Hate the self check machines in Kmart too. Many times I've seen the queue and just put back the item and walked out.

Excuse me, this is a Club / Forum aimed at SENIORS, so naturally they will be mainly retired / elderly people responding. Unless you are using Grandmas computer?
You forgot to mention we aren’t happy because we can’t “STEAL” lol signed semi retired.

Reactions: Pommyoz
So? This site is for the Seniors after all. And We are not thieves, or lazy, or impatient. How dare you suggest any of those titles for people who have endured our years with hard work. Something the young don’t do or can’t do because they have stress. Life is hard, get a life and if we want cashiers back, we do something like hard work to get them back.