The latest move by Coles, Woolworths and Kmart sparked outrage from shoppers

Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

So, he took to social media with an outraged post that quickly went viral.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 10.58.52 AM.png
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

Shoppers have also expressed their unhappiness with how the machines work.

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 11.28.03 AM.png
Supermarkets responded to the claims of their customers. Credit: Unsplash

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
There is often not enough room at the self-service for all of your goods. I had an accident there one day, a couple of bottles of pasta sauce fell off and smashed. I was accused of being clumsy, so I walked out leaving my goods and the mess behind. This would not have happened if they had a couple more manned checkouts open.

Reactions: dawnief52
Nothing infuriates me more than the self serve checkouts as the machines hardly ever work properly then you have to wait for the one employee working there to come and "fiddle" with it to get it going again. Time there were a row of manned checkouts after all customers aren't paid to work in the store. SO if the store continues to make customers do their work for them the store should give 50% off the purchase price of the items OR pay every customer at least $50 for the frustration, stress and anger caused by these machines. I think if this was "brought in" suddenly there would be manned checkouts again.
So to the shops who force people to work for them for no pay I don't feel sorry for you if people steal from you, you are making millions in profits you can afford insurance to cover stealing. STOP moaning and start serving your customers correctly - paid employees behind checkouts.
I doubt it will be brought in but, wishful thinking

Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

View attachment 32995
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

View attachment 32996

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.
Besides making it self-service, they've moved the damn vheckouts to the MIDDLE of the store!! So if you're finished shopping, you have to walk back to the middle and pay before you leave, then be checked at the door, instead of paying and leaving... when registers were at the entrance of the store. Also, I refuse to do the self-service. Will always go to a manned register, of which there's usually only one!!

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

Another one ; no fast check out me no shoppin'.
WW rebuilt a Mildura store , last time I looked they had not included a fast 12 item check out ---- have not been back

This topic is so over rated with comments of those that are impatient or find they can't steal anymore.
Sadly the comments are all coming from retired people.
Proving that YOU are one of the mindless sheep that is being willing led to your own slaughter. No fool like an old fool!

• Haha
Reactions: Observer
You forgot to mention we aren’t happy because we can’t “STEAL” lol signed semi retired.
Just check next time and you should find (as I have) that very, very, few of these crimes are committed by the elderly / retired, rather by teens (and I do report if I see) or 'often unemployed' who were used to a better way of life when working. Or semi-retired, who cannot yet claim a full pension.
You only note yourself as Semi-retired, so I expect that you report all thefts you see in shops?

The Coles I use has one manned checkout on Saturday morning and 2 staff helping on the self checkouts. I find it really annoying. I have seen a number of agitated senior citizens who have used the self serve because of the lack of manned ones, but then have trouble.
I wait for the manned one.
Another Coles I went to had 4 manned checkouts on Sunday morning! The problem with this one is that they no longer have a manned deli section and I object to buying 10 kebabs (packaged) when I only want 6. There are also other things I buy from the deli.
Coles/Kmart has become the worst culprit in lack of support, so always try and find a Woolworths or Aldi or IGA nearby and use them instead. I have only used Coles rarely in the last few months as there is a clear difference between the top 4. Kmart lacks service (badly) yet if Woolworths ran a Target type store in competition, they would make a killing as their service is so far above Coles / Kmart.

Reactions: Observer