The latest move by Coles, Woolworths and Kmart sparked outrage from shoppers

Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

So, he took to social media with an outraged post that quickly went viral.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 10.58.52 AM.png
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

Shoppers have also expressed their unhappiness with how the machines work.

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 11.28.03 AM.png
Supermarkets responded to the claims of their customers. Credit: Unsplash

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
have given up with supermarket shopping in store.....now do our shopping online with great results and friendly delivery people. 🚛😉W

Reactions: Noknojon
Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

View attachment 32995
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

View attachment 32996

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.

I recently shopped for someone else at Woolworths, I paid for her goods & had some soup & bananas to purchase for my lunch still in the trolley. The NEW Security system asked me if I had forgotten anything, Yes of course. So I removed my items & placed them to the left of the scanner. It still wouldn't let me finish & pay my 1st order. I had to get the POOR person trying to control us all in self serve, to acknowledge, I wasn't shop lifting. Next I scanned & paid for my soup & Bananas. Yet again It asked me about my paid goods! Glad I got printed receipts. If they are going to improve their security GET IT RIGHT the 1st time.

Reactions: Beauty28 and Dalgie
After waiting over 10mins at Hastings Kmart due to half self serve not working, no staff on checkouts and there was no staff around to assist it was ridiculous. The staff members told to hold my receipt so it can be checked, I told her no I won't be waiting. Walking past front checker I heard her say yes I see her now carrying a box. How ridiculous I was expecting Bruce Willis to get me it was just like a covert operation I won't be going back to this madness that is at Kmart now.
Yes it makes for a horrible shopping experience which is why I don’t shop there anymore. If you don’t like something & they don’t listen, they will they see their basket numbers declining

Reactions: Beauty28
Here's a thought. If you are in a long line waiting to check out at the self-serve area or even if queues at manned checkouts are excessive, go and load a trolley with frozen goods, go back in line and then leave the trolley. Of course, if a number of these happen at once, the disruption will create havoc and the stores will need to rethink their strategies.A bit anarchic but effective.
What!! You have GOT to be kidding.

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

Most self serve check outs now have cameras above them so you can't escape not paying for an item. My partner often does not even get a receipt so how are you to prove you paid for it? Kmart has the dumb new system of registers being in the centre of the store so there is a person on the door to check your receipt ( if you have one! )

Well good on you. I guess when you get old you will expect everyone to pander to your needs. But you have shot yourself in the foot. I am neither impatient nor have a choice of where I shop. I am old and retired. I do my own shopping and expect to be able to do it with the full support of the shops I go to. Supermarkets do not give enough space to allow for proper self service shopping for the elderly or for anyone with a large amount of goods. It has also been seen by me that Bunnings in particular will close all manned checkouts on weekends and that can be an issue. It loads up the trade desk with checkouts for those who have bulky or large items. Young people are accepting this shit and not questioning it. But a time will come when their kids can't get jobs and then they will scream. Why do we have to scan our own groceries or whatever or bag it ourselves when we pay ever increasing prices for them and the suppliers make ever increasing profits
It is what it is.
I am also retired but l don't fuss like so many others do. I simply go with the flow.
Sounds like you are expecting to be pandered to your needs????

Last edited:
Oh it’s you again. Results come from power of the people. You wear blinkers and insult every one of us on this site.
Take you whining back to England :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Fifty Ten Hull

Last edited:
They say there are manned checkouts, 20 people waiting to use them , also the self serve ones have 9 for cards and 1 for cash, big push for cashless and self serve, if I don't get served I just leave the stuff in the trolley and walk out, that creates jobs, putting it back on the shelves. Profiteering over customer service.
Your attitude is one of the reasons grocery price hikes occur ... what do you think happens to any fridge, freezer, deli or fruit and veg items in the trolley you so happily abandon? Yes, they are thrown out and we all pay for those goods by way of increased prices.

Reactions: Observer

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

I prefer to be served by a Person, not have to do the work myself. I have stopped going to the local KMart and Target due to them being completely self serve. Probably have to stop going to major Supermarkets if they do the same. There is a couple of Fruit and Vegetable shops here, and also a couple of shops selling mainly Whole Foods etc, which I go to regular. And the local Service Staton stock Local milk.

Here's a thought. If you are in a long line waiting to check out at the self-serve area or even if queues at manned checkouts are excessive, go and load a trolley with frozen goods, go back in line and then leave the trolley. Of course, if a number of these happen at once, the disruption will create havoc and the stores will need to rethink their strategies.A bit anarchic but effective.
What a vile and wasteful suggestion! You are OK with this blatant waste of food? You are OK with the rest of us paying the price for your tantrum through increased grocery prices to cover the cost of the wastage you and your cohorts have caused? I can understand wanting to push back against self-serve but to waste food and cause it to be discarded is just childish.

Reactions: Observer
I never use self serve and wait in line for service. I also plan my shop for early morning or late evening. There’s still a lengthy wait but not too bad.

The Coles I use has one manned checkout on Saturday morning and 2 staff helping on the self checkouts. I find it really annoying. I have seen a number of agitated senior citizens who have used the self serve because of the lack of manned ones, but then have trouble.
I wait for the manned one.
Another Coles I went to had 4 manned checkouts on Sunday morning! The problem with this one is that they no longer have a manned deli section and I object to buying 10 kebabs (packaged) when I only want 6. There are also other things I buy from the deli.

What a vile and wasteful suggestion! You are OK with this blatant waste of food? You are OK with the rest of us paying the price for your tantrum through increased grocery prices to cover the cost of the wastage you and your cohorts have caused? I can understand wanting to push back against self-serve but to waste food and cause it to be discarded is just childish.
It is nearly criminal

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

I leave my shopping and go elsewhere.

Your attitude is one of the reasons grocery price hikes occur ... what do you think happens to any fridge, freezer, deli or fruit and veg items in the trolley you so happily abandon? Yes, they are thrown out and we all pay for those goods by way of increased prices.
I knew there'd be one troll, I don't leave perishables ya bellend. You probably just walk out, do you pay or are you an ass even in supermarkets.

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

Nothing infuriates me more than the self serve checkouts as the machines hardly ever work properly then you have to wait for the one employee working there to come and "fiddle" with it to get it going again. Time there were a row of manned checkouts after all customers aren't paid to work in the store. SO if the store continues to make customers do their work for them the store should give 50% off the purchase price of the items OR pay every customer at least $50 for the frustration, stress and anger caused by these machines. I think if this was "brought in" suddenly there would be manned checkouts again.
So to the shops who force people to work for them for no pay I don't feel sorry for you if people steal from you, you are making millions in profits you can afford insurance to cover stealing. STOP moaning and start serving your customers correctly - paid employees behind checkouts.

Reactions: Robbo3006