The latest move by Coles, Woolworths and Kmart sparked outrage from shoppers

Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

So, he took to social media with an outraged post that quickly went viral.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 10.58.52 AM.png
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

Shoppers have also expressed their unhappiness with how the machines work.

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 11.28.03 AM.png
Supermarkets responded to the claims of their customers. Credit: Unsplash

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Have you ever been to the checkout aisle at Woolworths, Coles or Kmart and been forced to wait in line, only to be asked to show your receipt to prove you’ve used the self-serve checkout honestly?

If so, you’re not alone. Recently, a shopper declared he’d had enough of supermarkets and department stores expecting him to do the job of a cashier.

The woman who made the original post online, which resurfaced earlier this month, said that a female worker stopped every customer who had used a self-checkout machine and made them line up to have their receipts looked at.

The furious shopper skipped the line and left, arguing if the store didn't trust them to scan their items honestly, then they should bring back manned cashiers.

The post read: ‘You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put your cashiers back in place like it used to be. I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. [If] You want me to be a cashier with no training, then that’s your problem, not mine.

View attachment 32995
Self-service checkouts in supermarkets spark outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook

‘You do not pay me to scan my own shopping. You don't give me [a] staff discount for working for you,’ she added.

The rant also said stores should bring back manned checkouts to create more job opportunities for young and old workers. And Aussies have been overwhelmingly in support of the astounding statement.

‘Yes, I work at Bunnings and dislike them there too and I feel it is just creating more dishonesty,’ one person commented, while another said: ‘Bring back staffed checkouts. Or at least more open for those that can't or don't want to use them. Keep people in work and help those not able to physically use or perhaps understand using the stupid things.’

One person said, ‘Self-service stresses me out. Half the time, I place [an] item in [the] bagging area, and it doesn't compute.’

Another said, ‘The other annoyance is no space to pack your trolley. And I feel rushed because it's always a huge line up. I'll stick to having a human serve me, thanks.’

A long-time Coles shopper also said that they were ready to leave their ‘loyalty’ because of the inconvenience of the supermarket’s self-serve checkout system.

Coles does not take this criticism lightly, and it is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers. Read more about the story here.

View attachment 32996

Kmart has responded to the claims, saying: ‘At Kmart, we strive to deliver an enjoyable and convenient shopping experience to all our customers whether they choose to shop with us in-store or online.’

‘Since late 2015, we began introducing self-service registers to our stores as part of our commitment to customers in allowing them to access a more efficient service, especially during peak trading periods,’ they said.

‘The conversion of our manned registers to self-serve helps to aid the speed of transactions, but we will always have a Kmart team member available to support customers putting through transactions if they would like.’

Meanwhile, a Woolworths spokesperson previously said, ‘We're focused on providing our customers with multiple ways to shop with us, given their ever-changing needs.’.

‘Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, many customers opted for safer and more convenient ways to complete their shop, which include self-service checkouts,’ they added.

‘However, if customers prefer to be served by a team member, that option is always available via our service desk or other manned checkouts.’

Key Takeaways

• A shopper expressed her frustration at self-service machines in stores like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart, arguing that he's doing the job of a cashier without being paid for it.
  • The customer's rant gained support on social media, with many other shoppers agreeing that they dislike using self-service machines and feeling as though they're forced to do so.
  • Supermarkets such as Woolworths, Coles, and Kmart offer self-serve along with assisted checkouts.
  • Spokespersons from these companies have said they offer self-service as a more efficient way for customers to complete their shopping.

Members, have you ever had an experience like this? And how do you feel when stores make you use self-checkouts? Let us know in the comments below.
After waiting over 10mins at Hastings Kmart due to half self serve not working, no staff on checkouts and there was no staff around to assist it was ridiculous. The staff members told to hold my receipt so it can be checked, I told her no I won't be waiting. Walking past front checker I heard her say yes I see her now carrying a box. How ridiculous I was expecting Bruce Willis to get me it was just like a covert operation I won't be going back to this madness that is at Kmart now.

I dont use self serves and will wait at KMart until a register assistant is called. One will be standing wathcing the self servers and calling for assist. Woolies - tried it once - nowhere for the trolley, nowhere to place scanned items, scanner stuck - took 20mins instead of 2mins - will stay lined up now. But then, the other day at Nambucca at the serving line, is a sign - don't lift the scanner will reach into the trolley - but for a difference the common on special item was not 'on the computer' so being the lovely person I am, I broke line and asked a server at the next line to pick it up for scanning. Good for Woolies they have tellers who are a little 'slow' and will generally aim for him as great and friendly, but he could not do anything to assist as outside his role of cash register. The other teller was happy but did look around for someone else as also busy, but I can't lift, and note said to not lift. Anyways all solved within the 20mins above test when 3rd in the assist line - they had all lines busy that day and time. Well done Nambucca staff.

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

They say there are manned checkouts, 20 people waiting to use them , also the self serve ones have 9 for cards and 1 for cash, big push for cashless and self serve, if I don't get served I just leave the stuff in the trolley and walk out, that creates jobs, putting it back on the shelves. Profiteering over customer service.

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

Simply refuse to go into the stores..... they are posting billions $ of profits....... let's see how we can fix that.... bring them to their knees

While I much prefer manned checkouts I occasionally use a self serve if I have a small shop and too many people at the usually 1 manned checkout available. But there are always issues, wait for someone to confirm I’ve got my own bags, wait for someone to check an item, wait for someone to type in what won’t scan, the list goes on and on. Sometimes the wait is long as too many self serve and only ever 1 person running around like a headless chook trying to sort everyone’s issues out. At least there should be 2/3 staff looking after self serve, would make customer experiences much better.

While I much prefer manned checkouts I occasionally use a self serve if I have a small shop and too many people at the usually 1 manned checkout available. But there are always issues, wait for someone to confirm I’ve got my own bags, wait for someone to check an item, wait for someone to type in what won’t scan, the list goes on and on. Sometimes the wait is long as too many self serve and only ever 1 person running around like a headless chook trying to sort everyone’s issues out. At least there should be 2/3 staff looking after self serve, would make customer experiences much better.
2/3 staff..... you got to be joking..... that would impact the billions of $ profit....and the shareholders wouldn't like that

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

Not good enough! Their excuses have nothing to do with "convenience for shoppers" and everything to do with cutting costs.

The whole population is sick to death of self-service service. Get back to learning the meaning of the word SERVICE and provide it! You are ripping us off as is.

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

Our local woolies has 8 manned checkout plus self serve there is only ever 1 manned checkout operating to try and force you to use self serve I have seen a line of over 40 people trying to go through the manned checkout and staff going around to encourage them to use self serve. This is the reason we no longer shop at woolies and go to Drakes (in SA) where there are NO SELF SERVE vote with your feet when profits fall supermarkets with act.

The 'manned checkouts' usually consist of 1 or rarely 2 manned checkouts.

The stores use the tactic to frustrate customers into opting for the self serve. THAT'S NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Secondly, when customers get to the self serve checkouts, there are 2 cash ones and 6+ card ones. Another tactic to force cash using customers to convert to card users because they are kept waiting considerably longer than card users.

AGAIN, NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE Corporate Australia.

Executives of these corporations, stop the double speak including the justification for self serve to be a 'convenience for customers'. Thousands are clearly stating they want manned checkouts AND they want to use cash.

LISTEN to them.

Kmart does NOT have manned checkouts always available in Maroochydore they close at 4 pm and self serve only. Aldi has also gone the wrong way - how on earth can anyone put a full trolley of goods on to the loading bay? All these places just need a couple more checkouts for 12 items or less - Also Kmart - move them ALL to the door - walking around to find the Pay Here counter is ridiculous - and often cannot be seen from the aisles - nor can the exit !

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

customer service has gone out the window, the people that man the self service are lazy and rude. No friendly greeting staring at you the whole time you are scanning, and when you need assistance someone them will ignore you till you have to call loudly can I have some assistance. Not too mention they don't know how to read the receipt. I took 1 to one of them one day so you can pick whatever was on offer at the time when you earn the points for it and all she did was stare at the receipt and say to me did you pay for such and such and then I replied get me the manager if you can't read it's right in front of you. I have had this problem at both woolies and coles. Like the staff at Rebel they need to be sent to customer training which should include how to pack groceries properly. i.e not putting heavy items on top of eggs, hot with cold.

View attachment 32995

View attachment 32996

Key Takeaways

What a waste of time lining up after self-service, you may as well bring back manned checkouts

Reactions: Beauty28 and Tootie
At Kmart it isn't just those who use self-serve checkouts who are stopped. I won't shop there any more, as since they moved the checkouts to the middle of the shop, where the registers are out of sight of the door person, you are expected to queue twice - first for a checkout, then to get your receipt checked before leaving the shop. As I never use the self-checkouts I object strongly to this.

They say there are manned checkouts, 20 people waiting to use them , also the self serve ones have 9 for cards and 1 for cash, big push for cashless and self serve, if I don't get served I just leave the stuff in the trolley and walk out, that creates jobs, putting it back on the shelves. Profiteering over customer service.
If everyone that is not happy with self service then you fill up a trolley and leave it, if you don't get decent service. I've done it twice now and it is amazing how the staff at my local Woolies recognise me and open a register to serve me and the others that don't want to use self serve checkouts. You have to make a point to make these people aware that you are not happy.
The day that some of the big stores go cashless we have a circle of friends that will go in this store, fill up our trolleys and leave them.
It was done at a Costco in the US and they had to employ extra staff to re stock over $14000.00 worth of goods. A week later the store had a sign at the front saying "cash is happily accepted". That is what I call a good result!

Start shopping elsewhere and let them know why. If we don't push back then they will continue the cashless force this upon us.

Simply refuse to go into the stores..... they are posting billions $ of profits....... let's see how we can fix that.... bring them to their knees
The problem is that years ago the scammermarkets destroyed the local family-run shops by persuading the politicians to allow them extended trading hours, so where is the competition?

Here's a thought. If you are in a long line waiting to check out at the self-serve area or even if queues at manned checkouts are excessive, go and load a trolley with frozen goods, go back in line and then leave the trolley. Of course, if a number of these happen at once, the disruption will create havoc and the stores will need to rethink their strategies.A bit anarchic but effective.

Just wait in the line to have your items scanned at a staffed checkout or Shop elsewhere if you don't like it, oh, wait, they all do it, including Aldi.