Single mum cries out for help amidst budget changes: ‘What am I going to do?’

During ABC’s Q&A program on Monday, a mother who is currently unemployed and relying on Centrelink benefits expressed her concerns regarding the upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.

Jessica Blowers explained that she would no longer be eligible for the Single Parent Payment once her daughter turns eight in August. This will make it difficult for her to manage her finances, especially with an impending rent increase.

Currently, single parents can claim the Parenting Payment of $949.30 every fortnight until their youngest child turns eight. However, as part of the Federal Budget, the age limit for the payment will increase to when the youngest child is 14 in September.

Unfortunately, Ms Blowers falls into a gap where she will lose the payment for a month since her daughter's 8th birthday is four weeks before the new rules come into effect.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 9.52.55 AM.png
The mother fears she won't be able to pay her rent when her daughter turns eight in August, as the payment increase does not kick in until September. Credit: Unsplash/Krzysztof Kowalik.

Ms Blowers will also be facing a rent increase during this period from $900 to $960 every fortnight. During the Q&A program, she expressed her concern and asked the Treasurer about her options.

She said, 'What am I going to do? What is my choice, other than I am doing my best to get a job so that I can keep a house over my daughter's head.'

Ms Blowers raised concerns about the challenging job market where she faces stiff competition, with more than 100 other candidates applying for the same positions. She expressed uncertainty about how she could effectively compete against such a large pool of applicants for a single job.

She also requested information on the government's plans to address the gap that she and other parents in similar situations will encounter. Ms Blowers explained that due to high rent costs, she has limited options and nowhere else affordable to relocate within her city.

In response, Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with Ms Blowers and acknowledged that individuals like her were the driving force behind the decision to extend the age limit from eight to 14. He explained that the government recognised the immense pressure faced by single parents.

However, the Treasurer emphasised that implementing the new system earlier than September 20 was not feasible. 'We think September is the soonest that we can do it,' he explained.

He shared that the government had made efforts to introduce the changes as soon as possible and acknowledged the inconvenience caused by the transition period from the current payment to JobSeeker and then back to the single parenting payment.

'I would love to avoid that if we could, but what we're trying to do is provide this extra assistance that you need and deserve. If we could avoid those couple of weeks, we would, but September is the best we can do,' he went on to say.

Dr Chalmers assured Ms Blowers that the government aimed to provide the additional assistance she needed and deserved, even though it meant a temporary adjustment period.

You can watch the full episode of ABC’s Q&A program here in the video below, and the conversation with Ms Blowers starts at the 9:00 time mark:

Credit: abcqanda.

During an appearance on Paul Murray Live, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton expressed concerns that the Federal Budget did not offer enough support for middle-class Australians struggling with the increasing cost of living.

He reiterated the sentiment that the budget offered little for these individuals, stating: 'It didn't take the Australian public too long to work out, once they cut through all the spin and Jim Chalmers charm offensive, there's not much there for them.'

Mr Dutton further expressed worries that the Labor Party's policies could create a working poor in Australia, leaving millions of Australians without any support. He said: 'For millions of Australians, I really worry that Labor is creating a working poor. They're saying to many Australians, “We don't have any support for you.”'

He also emphasised that families were facing higher electricity and gas bills, and interest rates would remain high for longer and that these were all issues that Labor had failed to provide solutions to.

'Interest rates are staying up higher for longer, and the fact that people are paying more and more and more for their electricity and gas bills. That's all Labor's making, yet they don't have any solutions for families,' he stated.

Key Takeaways

• During ABC's Q&A program, an unemployed single mother expressed concerns about upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.
  • Due to a gap in the new policy, she will be forced off the Single Parent Payment for a month when her daughter turns eight in August, just before the age limit increases to 14.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with her situation but stated that September is the earliest possible timeframe to implement the new policy.

Hearing about these everyday struggles is a harsh reminder of the reality faced by many of us. It's important that our government offers practical solutions to help bridge such gaps and provide the vital support that vulnerable families need.

Let's hope that stories like Ms Blowers’ will prompt authorities to reconsider their policies and act swiftly to alleviate the burden on those who need it most.

What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
Got to say that it very harsh. Hope you never fall into any of those categories and that you do not grow old.
i am old and i have seen a lot
my parents were 9 times a week drunks and took it out on there children
I have been beaten with whatever was at hand and was kicked out of home at 14
Iwas one of the baby boomers help build this country with no welfare
I was one of those who got all you people holidays with pay
i was one of those who got you your 38 hr week
I was one of those who put his life on the line in the defence force
WHAT has this generation done to survive and prosper
DOLE and single parenting never happened back then except if something happened to there partner in sickness or death
i hate people who have anything to say about baby boomers as they are ignorant of there heritage and what we boomers went through growing up
.Get a job and a condom

Reactions: Linwar
I feel for all genuine single parents - those widowed, deserted, or forced to flee from abuse - but I think it's time our society paused and considered just how the increasingly smaller percentage of taxpayers are supposed to cover the horrific costs of the ever-expanding welfare system. When I was a child, widows were supported. Those who chose to be single parents were not. Now, anyone can choose to be a single parent and get handouts. People are choosing to be unemployed when there are jobs available. People are choosing to rent and travel rather than save for a home of their own, then demanding rent assistance. We are creating more and more disabled through medical procedures designed to save lives or enable infertile couples to reproduce, and we are handing out mega millions in NDIS support. I see the benefits of IVF, life-saving medical procedures, supporting people to leave abusive relationships, etc. etc. etc. But I think it's time we recognized that utopia can't happen and somebody has to pay for all this. The recent budget is being heavily criticized for not doing enough for working families - the people who are paying for all this welfare. We are creating a class of working poor and downgrading the middle class to poor. At some point, we have to say ""sorry, enough. There just isn't any money to give you"" Chalmers used the word ''deserve'', but single parents DO NOT DESERVE to be supported by the taxpayer. They may NEED support. They don't DESERVE it. Nobody DESERVES welfare. So let's stop pretending that welfare recipients have some mythical entitlement to demand that working taxpayers be ground into poverty so they can keep collecting benefits and go back to the once popular notion that benefits are basically charity, paid for by strangers who may be struggling themselves, and should be allocated only to the desperately needy who can demonstrate they are needy despite doing everything possible to help themselves, only temporarily until they can help themselves, and something to be deeply grateful for rather than complain about. Bottom line: Mrs Blower is no needier nor more deserving than thousands of struggling working families who get nothing from the taxpayer purse. Her story is sad. So is theirs. We cannot support everyone with a sad tale to tell.
So very true, today's generation expects the taxpayer to foot the bill for everything. I know a women with 3 kids on Centrelink and she has no intention of trying to get a job, nor provide rent for herself. Last Christmas she went to 7 charities who all gave her presents for the kids, huge hampers and clothes and decorations, My neighbour is also a single mum but working in a menial job, she got nothing like what the other mother got. My neighbour is trying to raise her kids to be self-sufficient, not dependents on the dole..

Reactions: Klaus A
i believe there are some single parents who try to do the right thing but the ones on welfare definately out way them .
I also think some doleys look for work but %wise not many Whywould they want a job when they are getting paid to sit at home
I think there should be consequences for the unemployed like if on the dole for a certain ammount of time and cannot prove there job searches and job appointments then conscription comes to mind or 3 job offers and if they refuse to go or accept the job wether they like it or not then suspended from payments for a certain ammount of time.Whaever happens after there time is up will be there own fault

then do not become a single parent as it will cost the man working more than the mother sitting at home for the next18 years
THATS the plan nowadays
From what i hear and see not ALL single parents sit at home. There are many categories such as widowed, abused women etc.

not all women get pregnant
some take precautions
some plan it with their partner
some do not care one way or the other
HOW many of these women who say yes to sex tell the partner to wear a condom as they themselves are not taking precautions OBVIOUSLY NOT MANY
HOW many of these women go on centrelinc and stay on it as long as they can.HEAPS .ITS EVERYWHERE IF U LOOK
NOTmany women are widows per head on single parents but i am sure there will be a few
Why would abused women have children in the first place and those that are on single parents payment means they are out of that situation OR ARE THEY

Last edited: