Single mum cries out for help amidst budget changes: ‘What am I going to do?’

During ABC’s Q&A program on Monday, a mother who is currently unemployed and relying on Centrelink benefits expressed her concerns regarding the upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.

Jessica Blowers explained that she would no longer be eligible for the Single Parent Payment once her daughter turns eight in August. This will make it difficult for her to manage her finances, especially with an impending rent increase.

Currently, single parents can claim the Parenting Payment of $949.30 every fortnight until their youngest child turns eight. However, as part of the Federal Budget, the age limit for the payment will increase to when the youngest child is 14 in September.

Unfortunately, Ms Blowers falls into a gap where she will lose the payment for a month since her daughter's 8th birthday is four weeks before the new rules come into effect.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 9.52.55 AM.png
The mother fears she won't be able to pay her rent when her daughter turns eight in August, as the payment increase does not kick in until September. Credit: Unsplash/Krzysztof Kowalik.

Ms Blowers will also be facing a rent increase during this period from $900 to $960 every fortnight. During the Q&A program, she expressed her concern and asked the Treasurer about her options.

She said, 'What am I going to do? What is my choice, other than I am doing my best to get a job so that I can keep a house over my daughter's head.'

Ms Blowers raised concerns about the challenging job market where she faces stiff competition, with more than 100 other candidates applying for the same positions. She expressed uncertainty about how she could effectively compete against such a large pool of applicants for a single job.

She also requested information on the government's plans to address the gap that she and other parents in similar situations will encounter. Ms Blowers explained that due to high rent costs, she has limited options and nowhere else affordable to relocate within her city.

In response, Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with Ms Blowers and acknowledged that individuals like her were the driving force behind the decision to extend the age limit from eight to 14. He explained that the government recognised the immense pressure faced by single parents.

However, the Treasurer emphasised that implementing the new system earlier than September 20 was not feasible. 'We think September is the soonest that we can do it,' he explained.

He shared that the government had made efforts to introduce the changes as soon as possible and acknowledged the inconvenience caused by the transition period from the current payment to JobSeeker and then back to the single parenting payment.

'I would love to avoid that if we could, but what we're trying to do is provide this extra assistance that you need and deserve. If we could avoid those couple of weeks, we would, but September is the best we can do,' he went on to say.

Dr Chalmers assured Ms Blowers that the government aimed to provide the additional assistance she needed and deserved, even though it meant a temporary adjustment period.

You can watch the full episode of ABC’s Q&A program here in the video below, and the conversation with Ms Blowers starts at the 9:00 time mark:

Credit: abcqanda.

During an appearance on Paul Murray Live, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton expressed concerns that the Federal Budget did not offer enough support for middle-class Australians struggling with the increasing cost of living.

He reiterated the sentiment that the budget offered little for these individuals, stating: 'It didn't take the Australian public too long to work out, once they cut through all the spin and Jim Chalmers charm offensive, there's not much there for them.'

Mr Dutton further expressed worries that the Labor Party's policies could create a working poor in Australia, leaving millions of Australians without any support. He said: 'For millions of Australians, I really worry that Labor is creating a working poor. They're saying to many Australians, “We don't have any support for you.”'

He also emphasised that families were facing higher electricity and gas bills, and interest rates would remain high for longer and that these were all issues that Labor had failed to provide solutions to.

'Interest rates are staying up higher for longer, and the fact that people are paying more and more and more for their electricity and gas bills. That's all Labor's making, yet they don't have any solutions for families,' he stated.

Key Takeaways

• During ABC's Q&A program, an unemployed single mother expressed concerns about upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.
  • Due to a gap in the new policy, she will be forced off the Single Parent Payment for a month when her daughter turns eight in August, just before the age limit increases to 14.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with her situation but stated that September is the earliest possible timeframe to implement the new policy.

Hearing about these everyday struggles is a harsh reminder of the reality faced by many of us. It's important that our government offers practical solutions to help bridge such gaps and provide the vital support that vulnerable families need.

Let's hope that stories like Ms Blowers’ will prompt authorities to reconsider their policies and act swiftly to alleviate the burden on those who need it most.

What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
My ex-husband left me and the kids (aged 4 1/2 and 2 at the time) to go and shack up with his mistress, who he married, had kids to and then left to go and shack up with another mistress, back in 1980. I had no confidence to work, no experience to work and was on the Sole Parents Benefits which, at the time was incredibly low. When my daughter turned 14 a woman at Centrelink told me that I would lose the pension when she turned 16 and I should do something to make a better future for myself. So that conversation started the long trek to TAFE and Uni. 2 years into studying, I lost the pension and had to go on Austudy which was so much less. Just to be able to feed my daughter and pay rent (my son had left home and was making a life for himself elsewhere), I had to take out a loan which took me all of the years I worked to pay off. I worked damn hard to get a degree and diploma and then worked damn hard in my job until I retired. Through my taxes I paid back every cent the government had given me, and then some. I went without everything until I started earning an income; my kids would get excited going shopping at the OP shop for "new" clothes and shoes. I bet this woman owns a mobile phone and pays for the phone bills, I bet she has heating that she pays for. (A) learn to go without and (B) get qualified for something, or take a job (I know that can be very difficult for people without confidence or skills, been there done that), but its time to take your future in your own hands and make a life for you and your kids.
The only mothers who should get help from the government, are those who are deserted and abandoned by their husband, or have a proven disability.
Single, unmarried mothers...nope, nothing. Maybe they will learn to snap their legs shut!
Being new to this site I must say I am somewhat amazed by the level of red neck right wing mind set of most respondents. No one knows anyone else’s circumstance and to ridicule anyone who is in need is disgusting . I’m sure some on welfare could help themselves and I’m also sure that some find themselves in dire situations . You mention mothers abandoned by their husbands as the only ones who should get assistance yet many couples these days do not marry as is their choice in a society which I may or may not agree with however I will put no dispersion on that , yet that is their decision . Situations such as family violence also impact situations , yet in nearly all cases women are left with children and the men carry on with their lives without any accountability , this is the issue !
I find your last comment somewhat disgusting and would suggest that the world would have been a better place if your mother had done the same .

Number 1 ... they are NOT and NEVER have been called "doleys". What a vile term to use!
I worked in welfare for over a decade so I have seen way more of people on benefits than you ever will see and it is nastiness like yours that makes these people lose their self-esteem. The majority, the VAST majority are just regular folks who have hit a rough patch in their lives. There is a huge number of people on Jobseeker who are over 50 and can't get employers to get over their ageism and hire them too.
So you are going to judge everyone based on your stepson? That is one person and attitudes like that are reprehensible.
Who gives a flying you-know-what how many women are wearing wedding rings? Who made you the arbiter of whether people have to be wearing a band on their hand?
I am not unemployed ... I am a pensioner but luckily not a nasty and judgemental one.
So many people are in the same position as you ... employment issues affect those with mortgages as well as renters. Your post however just shows how bitter you are and there is no getting through to you. You may be a veteran but I can guarantee none of the people I mixed with today at my RSL were as harsh and cruel as you. The fact you use such reprehensible terms as "professional unemployed" just shows how out of touch with the real situation you are.
doctorsc are called doctors
carpenters are called carpenters
doleys are called doleys for a reason and i did not pick the reference ;
IF you worked for welfare and do not know about proffessional unemployed and women who have children without the father knowing the woman who say yes to sex without taking precautions or asking him to, do not care if they get pregnant SECONDLY single parents not only get cheaper subsidised housing and maintenance from the other parent and if you have not seen that as a welfare worker or as a pensioner then you must turn a blind eye to facts
tell me why any unemployed or single parent should get payed more than the elderly or vets
I bet you are on a pension that is not old age and you say you go to a RSL so i think you have never served this country in your life OBVIOSLY you are ignorant and cannot back anything up with facts
EXPLAIN to me why the unemployed are not forced to take any job that comes along
IF you were cut off from your pension and forced to find work WOULD YOU
MY GENERATION HAD NO CHOICE IT WAS WORK OR STARVE and you think its right that people who worked all their lives should work for those that wont work at all
I know a lot more than you i can name names of at least 20 people who know the system and how to use it not just my stepson.
I am not a bitter person i am just stating facts and as a welfare worker you are either ignorant or a liar because i am stating facts with evidence and how many people do you know on the dole and aged people and vets on a pension that did not work all there lives and i can guess by your attitude you are not one of them

During ABC’s Q&A program on Monday, a mother who is currently unemployed and relying on Centrelink benefits expressed her concerns regarding the upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.

Jessica Blowers explained that she would no longer be eligible for the Single Parent Payment once her daughter turns eight in August. This will make it difficult for her to manage her finances, especially with an impending rent increase.

Currently, single parents can claim the Parenting Payment of $949.30 every fortnight until their youngest child turns eight. However, as part of the Federal Budget, the age limit for the payment will increase to when the youngest child is 14 in September.

Unfortunately, Ms Blowers falls into a gap where she will lose the payment for a month since her daughter's 8th birthday is four weeks before the new rules come into effect.

View attachment 19911
The mother fears she won't be able to pay her rent when her daughter turns eight in August, as the payment increase does not kick in until September. Credit: Unsplash/Krzysztof Kowalik.

Ms Blowers will also be facing a rent increase during this period from $900 to $960 every fortnight. During the Q&A program, she expressed her concern and asked the Treasurer about her options.

She said, 'What am I going to do? What is my choice, other than I am doing my best to get a job so that I can keep a house over my daughter's head.'

Ms Blowers raised concerns about the challenging job market where she faces stiff competition, with more than 100 other candidates applying for the same positions. She expressed uncertainty about how she could effectively compete against such a large pool of applicants for a single job.

She also requested information on the government's plans to address the gap that she and other parents in similar situations will encounter. Ms Blowers explained that due to high rent costs, she has limited options and nowhere else affordable to relocate within her city.

In response, Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with Ms Blowers and acknowledged that individuals like her were the driving force behind the decision to extend the age limit from eight to 14. He explained that the government recognised the immense pressure faced by single parents.

However, the Treasurer emphasised that implementing the new system earlier than September 20 was not feasible. 'We think September is the soonest that we can do it,' he explained.

He shared that the government had made efforts to introduce the changes as soon as possible and acknowledged the inconvenience caused by the transition period from the current payment to JobSeeker and then back to the single parenting payment.

'I would love to avoid that if we could, but what we're trying to do is provide this extra assistance that you need and deserve. If we could avoid those couple of weeks, we would, but September is the best we can do,' he went on to say.

Dr Chalmers assured Ms Blowers that the government aimed to provide the additional assistance she needed and deserved, even though it meant a temporary adjustment period.

You can watch the full episode of ABC’s Q&A program here in the video below, and the conversation with Ms Blowers starts at the 9:00 time mark:

During an appearance on Paul Murray Live, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton expressed concerns that the Federal Budget did not offer enough support for middle-class Australians struggling with the increasing cost of living.

He reiterated the sentiment that the budget offered little for these individuals, stating: 'It didn't take the Australian public too long to work out, once they cut through all the spin and Jim Chalmers charm offensive, there's not much there for them.'

Mr Dutton further expressed worries that the Labor Party's policies could create a working poor in Australia, leaving millions of Australians without any support. He said: 'For millions of Australians, I really worry that Labor is creating a working poor. They're saying to many Australians, “We don't have any support for you.”'

He also emphasised that families were facing higher electricity and gas bills, and interest rates would remain high for longer and that these were all issues that Labor had failed to provide solutions to.

'Interest rates are staying up higher for longer, and the fact that people are paying more and more and more for their electricity and gas bills. That's all Labor's making, yet they don't have any solutions for families,' he stated.

Key Takeaways

• During ABC's Q&A program, an unemployed single mother expressed concerns about upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.
  • Due to a gap in the new policy, she will be forced off the Single Parent Payment for a month when her daughter turns eight in August, just before the age limit increases to 14.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with her situation but stated that September is the earliest possible timeframe to implement the new policy.

Hearing about these everyday struggles is a harsh reminder of the reality faced by many of us. It's important that our government offers practical solutions to help bridge such gaps and provide the vital support that vulnerable families need.

Let's hope that stories like Ms Blowers’ will prompt authorities to reconsider their policies and act swiftly to alleviate the burden on those who need it most.

has this woman worked in the last 8 years
has this woman received rent relief
has this woman received child support
is this women going to stay on welfare the next 6 years or work
are there no jobs out there that she can do even if she does not like the job

Being new to this site I must say I am somewhat amazed by the level of red neck right wing mind set of most respondents. No one knows anyone else’s circumstance and to ridicule anyone who is in need is disgusting . I’m sure some on welfare could help themselves and I’m also sure that some find themselves in dire situations . You mention mothers abandoned by their husbands as the only ones who should get assistance yet many couples these days do not marry as is their choice in a society which I may or may not agree with however I will put no dispersion on that , yet that is their decision . Situations such as family violence also impact situations , yet in nearly all cases women are left with children and the men carry on with their lives without any accountability , this is the issue !
I find your last comment somewhat disgusting and would suggest that the world would have been a better place if your mother had done the same .
my mother and father fought in the second world war and they both worked all their lives and died 54 and 57 respectively so do not bring parents in to this as growing up there was no benefits so you had to work at anything you could find THIS GENERATION want everything for nothing GET A JOB ANY JOB
I MIGHTadd that a women now does not need to get pregnant unless they want to or are raped.
When a man and women consumate the female has to say yes otherwise it is rape .
IF the woman says yes and does not inform the partner she is not on any contraseptive or tell their partner to wear a condom then she does not care if she got pregnant or not
I am not saying it is all the womens fault but she has to remain responsible for not taking steps to minimise pregnancy or making the man take steps or say NO

Last edited:
You put the dispersion on parent by your comment , single unmarried mothers ! Most are single due to circumstance ie violence , partner leaving , death etc sure there are those that get pregnant without partners but your attempt to parcel all into one undeserving basket is shameful.

You put the dispersion on parent by your comment , single unmarried mothers ! Most are single due to circumstance ie violence , partner leaving , death etc sure there are those that get pregnant without partners but your attempt to parcel all into one undeserving basket is shameful.
u obviously cannot read i said not all women get pregnant intentially but all women have the option of not getting pregnant
I am saying that single parents which can be men and women should not have children if there is no plan for the welfare of children amd that means not going on welfare as a child does not get a life deserving for them THE smith family states there is 1,2million children living in poverty
Whos fault is that
2.4 million parents thats who
WHAT would they do if there was no welfare.ALSO how many of these women or men have affairs .
men are abused as well but you dont hear about that and as far as death goes usually the children are grown up
look at the death rate under 40 and over 40 and suicides
you will find out its men on top of the list
why do you think that is.WHY IS IT MEN have to pay maintenance more than women and see if you can guess the answer.AS a welfare worker u should be ableto give me an answer to that

Reactions: LadyMoonlight
I feel for all genuine single parents - those widowed, deserted, or forced to flee from abuse - but I think it's time our society paused and considered just how the increasingly smaller percentage of taxpayers are supposed to cover the horrific costs of the ever-expanding welfare system. When I was a child, widows were supported. Those who chose to be single parents were not. Now, anyone can choose to be a single parent and get handouts. People are choosing to be unemployed when there are jobs available. People are choosing to rent and travel rather than save for a home of their own, then demanding rent assistance. We are creating more and more disabled through medical procedures designed to save lives or enable infertile couples to reproduce, and we are handing out mega millions in NDIS support. I see the benefits of IVF, life-saving medical procedures, supporting people to leave abusive relationships, etc. etc. etc. But I think it's time we recognized that utopia can't happen and somebody has to pay for all this. The recent budget is being heavily criticized for not doing enough for working families - the people who are paying for all this welfare. We are creating a class of working poor and downgrading the middle class to poor. At some point, we have to say ""sorry, enough. There just isn't any money to give you"" Chalmers used the word ''deserve'', but single parents DO NOT DESERVE to be supported by the taxpayer. They may NEED support. They don't DESERVE it. Nobody DESERVES welfare. So let's stop pretending that welfare recipients have some mythical entitlement to demand that working taxpayers be ground into poverty so they can keep collecting benefits and go back to the once popular notion that benefits are basically charity, paid for by strangers who may be struggling themselves, and should be allocated only to the desperately needy who can demonstrate they are needy despite doing everything possible to help themselves, only temporarily until they can help themselves, and something to be deeply grateful for rather than complain about. Bottom line: Mrs Blower is no needier nor more deserving than thousands of struggling working families who get nothing from the taxpayer purse. Her story is sad. So is theirs. We cannot support everyone with a sad tale to tell.
I completely agree with you. I feel for all genuine single parents also, but not the ones who keep having children, so they can get government help. My grandson's mother, gets all of these, works for cash in hand in a hotel, has her own business, again cash in hand, plus of course child support. She is laughing all the way to the bank, and she is only one person I know of, how many other's are out there, who we are supporting and they just stay at home enjoying themselves, or in this case go and work for cash in hand. I wish the ATO or Centrelink would be interested in people like that, but these are small fish, they don't care.
Sorry, I just had to vent

• Angry
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways

I haven't heard a single word about going out to look for a job to support her daughter. They don't look like they are starving, so obviously the money they get from the government is enough. I know that I sound harsh, but all the workforce are working partly to support the ones who don't want to work (I know lots of people will come up with excuses for why they can't work). I don't mind the genuine jobseekers who are looking for a job, but the rest.....

" ...red neck right wing..."

Oh, I am a traditional, ultra-conservative nationalist, just so you know. What did I do when I was alone with the kids? I snapped my legs closed, didn't screw anyone, and raised my kids alone. I didn't have kid after kid as the new, single mother often does (no, not all of them, but many do). Life is about choices. Some situations are the direct result of such choices. Anyway thanks for recognising that I am right-wing...a great compliment from you that I wear with pride!

I completely agree with you. I feel for all genuine single parents also, but not the ones who keep having children, so they can get government help. My grandson's mother, gets all of these, works for cash in hand in a hotel, has her own business, again cash in hand, plus of course child support. She is laughing all the way to the bank, and she is only one person I know of, how many other's are out there, who we are supporting and they just stay at home enjoying themselves, or in this case go and work for cash in hand. I wish the ATO or Centrelink would be interested in people like that, but these are small fish, they don't care.
Sorry, I just had to vent
nice to see that you agree with what i already stated
I believe the disabled, the aged and carers and vets are entitled to support as far as i am concerned as they deserve to be looked after
They have all worked most of there lives and cannot help getting old or disabled and some need looking after by carers
IN THE STIMULOUS packages people on the dole got a %100 increase and double the cost of living benefits plus an extra $5000 in lump sum more than pensioners, disabled and carers WHY
What have doleys done to be payed more than people who worked ,payed there dues ,and got shafted in return
Some one said men carry on with no responsibility
WELL thats a lie .I beleive that they are to pay maintenance for children till 18
THIS means a man who earns $1000/week pays $300/weekbefore tax for 2 children$180 for 1 child per week before tax
As far as miss bowler states she pays rent of about $940/fn and states that is what she gets on welfare .IF that is true then who is paying her bills, food ,clothing, and schooling for her ,I believe she has to have another income or like many doleys and single parents have someone else living with them as there is no way they can pay that much rent without help

nice to see that you agree with what i already stated
I believe the disabled, the aged and carers and vets are entitled to support as far as i am concerned as they deserve to be looked after
They have all worked most of there lives and cannot help getting old or disabled and some need looking after by carers
IN THE STIMULOUS packages people on the dole got a %100 increase and double the cost of living benefits plus an extra $5000 in lump sum more than pensioners, disabled and carers WHY
What have doleys done to be payed more than people who worked ,payed there dues ,and got shafted in return
Some one said men carry on with no responsibility
WELL thats a lie .I beleive that they are to pay maintenance for children till 18
THIS means a man who earns $1000/week pays $300/weekbefore tax for 2 children$180 for 1 child per week before tax
As far as miss bowler states she pays rent of about $940/fn and states that is what she gets on welfare .IF that is true then who is paying her bills, food ,clothing, and schooling for her ,I believe she has to have another income or like many doleys and single parents have someone else living with them as there is no way they can pay that much rent without help
get a job ANY JOB if you remember what work is

Reactions: Vet543
If it is at all possible the lady can do part time house cleaning. People a calling out for cleaners. The wage for a cleaner is fairly high.
That may be a good idea, however she will need to take out insurance and there may be other business expenses involved. It would also take time to build up a customer base as most people want references.

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways

I think the lady is being a bit selfish. We are very lucky here in Australia that our government pays us anything at all. Some countries have nothing that is why so many are moving here. After all it is only for a couple of weeks. Be grateful for what we get here in our lovely country.

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways

The truth is these people have no idea how the general population lives. They are in the Canberra bubble. Total rubbish comes out of his mouth just like the rest of them. Biggest issue I see is in the supermarket. Poor people buying total crap for them and their kids, costing a fortune but someone told them (tv ad, doctors, dieticians) that they can eat it. What happened to eating real food? Also what happened to taking a "food break". There is no issue for humans to have a few hours or a day of food. We are not meant to eat 24/7 but so many people who obviously can't afford it buy junk for their kids. Also no homes in this country are fully insulated. In the USA and Canada and I believe in the UK, homes are insulated so that keeps the heat and cool in. Less cost to heating and cooling. When I was a kid we had no aircon, no reverse cycle heating, no supermarkets and we walked a lot. No mobiles, no internet. I'm not saying all this is bad but it's reached a point where the poor are paying the cost of all this stuff. Homes are built with high tech and you pay for it in mortgages and rent. I don't think it will improve much so we have to push the bureaucrats (they actually control it all) to fix it. Politicians are just mouth pieces for the unelected bureaucrats who sit in their shiny offices and empire build to make more money.

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways

She can apply for a Centrelink loan to tide her over for the month then repay it at an agreed amount.

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways

I feel sorry for people like Ms Blowers. Labor does not care about people as long as they look good in government. People always pay more with labor shame on them.

I feel sorry for people like Ms Blowers. Labor does not care about people as long as they look good in government. People always pay more with labor shame on them.
that is not true
LOOKwhat the liberals did for single parents and the unemployed in the last government
look what this govt has done for single parents and the unemployed in the budget
HAS anyone seen anything done for disabled ,pensioners ,vets and carers in the last decade other than there 6 monthly increases which is waybelow cost of living

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways

I sympathise with the young lady in question but at the same time have to wonder why she cannot get a job. When you are a single parent as I was you learn to take whatever is out there. You may not like it but it puts food on the table.
As a single parent I subsidised my income by picking grapes and potatoes. I pumped petrol, did bar work. I cleaned houses and even dirty stinking fishing boats but my kids never went without.
I do not agree with the governments discussion to raise the age of a single parents children to 14 before having to find work and lose the pension. I would have preferred that the government put in a payment to subsidise the rent people are having to pay so that everyone can afford to put a roof over their families head. Personally I think raising the age is just another cope out for parents who just do not want to work. There is work out there if you really want it but the government is making it too easy for these people at the expense of those who work hard to make a living.
The other issue I have with this is what happens when these women whose children are close to hitting the cutoff age. Funny how there a lot of babies born around this timeframe.
The government is doing everything in their power to allow these women to sit at home on their butts while racking in the money laughing, and believe me, I have heard many women brag about how much they get!
This and any future governing body should be seriously looking at this problem as it is unsustainable. If a woman has another child while on the pension, it goes without saying, that they are in a relationship. Time these daddies were made accountable by being forced into taking over the financial burden from the taxpayers.
maybe not quite OFF WITH THEIR HEADS
but definitely OFF THE PENSION