Single mum cries out for help amidst budget changes: ‘What am I going to do?’

During ABC’s Q&A program on Monday, a mother who is currently unemployed and relying on Centrelink benefits expressed her concerns regarding the upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.

Jessica Blowers explained that she would no longer be eligible for the Single Parent Payment once her daughter turns eight in August. This will make it difficult for her to manage her finances, especially with an impending rent increase.

Currently, single parents can claim the Parenting Payment of $949.30 every fortnight until their youngest child turns eight. However, as part of the Federal Budget, the age limit for the payment will increase to when the youngest child is 14 in September.

Unfortunately, Ms Blowers falls into a gap where she will lose the payment for a month since her daughter's 8th birthday is four weeks before the new rules come into effect.

Screen Shot 2023-05-16 at 9.52.55 AM.png
The mother fears she won't be able to pay her rent when her daughter turns eight in August, as the payment increase does not kick in until September. Credit: Unsplash/Krzysztof Kowalik.

Ms Blowers will also be facing a rent increase during this period from $900 to $960 every fortnight. During the Q&A program, she expressed her concern and asked the Treasurer about her options.

She said, 'What am I going to do? What is my choice, other than I am doing my best to get a job so that I can keep a house over my daughter's head.'

Ms Blowers raised concerns about the challenging job market where she faces stiff competition, with more than 100 other candidates applying for the same positions. She expressed uncertainty about how she could effectively compete against such a large pool of applicants for a single job.

She also requested information on the government's plans to address the gap that she and other parents in similar situations will encounter. Ms Blowers explained that due to high rent costs, she has limited options and nowhere else affordable to relocate within her city.

In response, Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with Ms Blowers and acknowledged that individuals like her were the driving force behind the decision to extend the age limit from eight to 14. He explained that the government recognised the immense pressure faced by single parents.

However, the Treasurer emphasised that implementing the new system earlier than September 20 was not feasible. 'We think September is the soonest that we can do it,' he explained.

He shared that the government had made efforts to introduce the changes as soon as possible and acknowledged the inconvenience caused by the transition period from the current payment to JobSeeker and then back to the single parenting payment.

'I would love to avoid that if we could, but what we're trying to do is provide this extra assistance that you need and deserve. If we could avoid those couple of weeks, we would, but September is the best we can do,' he went on to say.

Dr Chalmers assured Ms Blowers that the government aimed to provide the additional assistance she needed and deserved, even though it meant a temporary adjustment period.

You can watch the full episode of ABC’s Q&A program here in the video below, and the conversation with Ms Blowers starts at the 9:00 time mark:

Credit: abcqanda.

During an appearance on Paul Murray Live, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton expressed concerns that the Federal Budget did not offer enough support for middle-class Australians struggling with the increasing cost of living.

He reiterated the sentiment that the budget offered little for these individuals, stating: 'It didn't take the Australian public too long to work out, once they cut through all the spin and Jim Chalmers charm offensive, there's not much there for them.'

Mr Dutton further expressed worries that the Labor Party's policies could create a working poor in Australia, leaving millions of Australians without any support. He said: 'For millions of Australians, I really worry that Labor is creating a working poor. They're saying to many Australians, “We don't have any support for you.”'

He also emphasised that families were facing higher electricity and gas bills, and interest rates would remain high for longer and that these were all issues that Labor had failed to provide solutions to.

'Interest rates are staying up higher for longer, and the fact that people are paying more and more and more for their electricity and gas bills. That's all Labor's making, yet they don't have any solutions for families,' he stated.

Key Takeaways

• During ABC's Q&A program, an unemployed single mother expressed concerns about upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.
  • Due to a gap in the new policy, she will be forced off the Single Parent Payment for a month when her daughter turns eight in August, just before the age limit increases to 14.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with her situation but stated that September is the earliest possible timeframe to implement the new policy.

Hearing about these everyday struggles is a harsh reminder of the reality faced by many of us. It's important that our government offers practical solutions to help bridge such gaps and provide the vital support that vulnerable families need.

Let's hope that stories like Ms Blowers’ will prompt authorities to reconsider their policies and act swiftly to alleviate the burden on those who need it most.

What are your thoughts on this story? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
I feel for all genuine single parents - those widowed, deserted, or forced to flee from abuse - but I think it's time our society paused and considered just how the increasingly smaller percentage of taxpayers are supposed to cover the horrific costs of the ever-expanding welfare system. When I was a child, widows were supported. Those who chose to be single parents were not. Now, anyone can choose to be a single parent and get handouts. People are choosing to be unemployed when there are jobs available. People are choosing to rent and travel rather than save for a home of their own, then demanding rent assistance. We are creating more and more disabled through medical procedures designed to save lives or enable infertile couples to reproduce, and we are handing out mega millions in NDIS support. I see the benefits of IVF, life-saving medical procedures, supporting people to leave abusive relationships, etc. etc. etc. But I think it's time we recognized that utopia can't happen and somebody has to pay for all this. The recent budget is being heavily criticized for not doing enough for working families - the people who are paying for all this welfare. We are creating a class of working poor and downgrading the middle class to poor. At some point, we have to say ""sorry, enough. There just isn't any money to give you"" Chalmers used the word ''deserve'', but single parents DO NOT DESERVE to be supported by the taxpayer. They may NEED support. They don't DESERVE it. Nobody DESERVES welfare. So let's stop pretending that welfare recipients have some mythical entitlement to demand that working taxpayers be ground into poverty so they can keep collecting benefits and go back to the once popular notion that benefits are basically charity, paid for by strangers who may be struggling themselves, and should be allocated only to the desperately needy who can demonstrate they are needy despite doing everything possible to help themselves, only temporarily until they can help themselves, and something to be deeply grateful for rather than complain about. Bottom line: Mrs Blower is no needier nor more deserving than thousands of struggling working families who get nothing from the taxpayer purse. Her story is sad. So is theirs. We cannot support everyone with a sad tale to tell.
I am happy to read that you Genuinely feel for single parents, etc - just look at where the Prime Minister is now and coming from a single parent family - we the People have voted him in to run the Country! I don't think everyone would choose to be a single parent - there are so many different circumstances in peoples lives that then may have them becoming single parents & yes some may choose a life of poverty by having a child and becoming a single parent, but that would only be a small percentage in the larger scheme of Births. We the people don't hand out mega millions in ndis - the gov't did that all by themselves and are now spending how much? to rectify there stuff up. If you allow seniors to work, the ones that can and would like to - to continue to keep there pension as well, then there would be more taxpayers than the smaller percentage that you have stated. Why don't the politicians cut there wages! take a small percentage of a loss and put this towards welfare recipients - most of whom would like to be working, out of poverty, having a set amount of income, then maybe be able to save for the home that you have mentioned, not that you could save much these days (with mortages and rents increasing) on top of everything else. As you have said single parents need support, you may think that they do not deserve it-but the child certainly does deserve it! Deserves to be looked after, with a roof over there heads, clothing on there backs, shoes on there feet, always having enough food, and love in the household - so that in this so-called lucky country of ours we are bringing up the next generation who will be able to make a better life for themselves, contributing to society, having had the advantage of being looked after properly since birth - otherwise if not looked after - these children suffer as children and may go down different paths once becoming teenagers, not to mention joining the thousands across Our Lucky Country who are Homeless - all for different reasons - it all starts from Birth. And we call ourselves caring Adults - that means caring for ourselves and others. Anyone can find themselves in any situation. We do need to support the next generation. As far as chalmers saying we can only start the age extension for the single parent in September, they have already done the calculations, before making the statement public-this means that they will in actual fact be saving a months worth of payments from many others that find themselves in the same situation as Miss Blower. As with many welfare recipients - pple live from one fortnight to the next with no savings. So this person will be behind the 8 ball - not to mention if rent is not paid in the private rental market - the eviction letter is sent with speed - and what does the child eat? whilst also trying to study - instead of thinking we are as dumb as they come chalmers, if you can start it in Sept you can just as easily start it after the financial year - end of June. Stop trying to save money by taking it from the most marginalised in our society - instead give a portion of your wages and other politicians wages to at least cover this month of no payment gap that you have created & keep this up by contributing a very small percentage of your wages to help the poor and needy in our society - what century are we in!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhondda@Benji
I sympathise with the young lady in question but at the same time have to wonder why she cannot get a job. When you are a single parent as I was you learn to take whatever is out there. You may not like it but it puts food on the table.
As a single parent I subsidised my income by picking grapes and potatoes. I pumped petrol, did bar work. I cleaned houses and even dirty stinking fishing boats but my kids never went without.
I do not agree with the governments discussion to raise the age of a single parents children to 14 before having to find work and lose the pension. I would have preferred that the government put in a payment to subsidise the rent people are having to pay so that everyone can afford to put a roof over their families head. Personally I think raising the age is just another cope out for parents who just do not want to work. There is work out there if you really want it but the government is making it too easy for these people at the expense of those who work hard to make a living.
The other issue I have with this is what happens when these women whose children are close to hitting the cutoff age. Funny how there a lot of babies born around this timeframe.
The government is doing everything in their power to allow these women to sit at home on their butts while racking in the money laughing, and believe me, I have heard many women brag about how much they get!
This and any future governing body should be seriously looking at this problem as it is unsustainable. If a woman has another child while on the pension, it goes without saying, that they are in a relationship. Time these daddies were made accountable by being forced into taking over the financial burden from the taxpayers.
maybe not quite OFF WITH THEIR HEADS
but definitely OFF THE PENSION
I know of one women who has 6 children on welfare all her life and still on the pension A child every 4 years They are both in there forties and never worked
SHE HAS LIVED WITH THE FATHER OVER 20 YEARS AND HE GETS THE DOLE IT was a couple of years ago since i have seen them so i am now guessing nothing has changed
WHY would it Over a 1 thousand a week to do nothing

• Angry
I feel for all genuine single parents - those widowed, deserted, or forced to flee from abuse - but I think it's time our society paused and considered just how the increasingly smaller percentage of taxpayers are supposed to cover the horrific costs of the ever-expanding welfare system. When I was a child, widows were supported. Those who chose to be single parents were not. Now, anyone can choose to be a single parent and get handouts. People are choosing to be unemployed when there are jobs available. People are choosing to rent and travel rather than save for a home of their own, then demanding rent assistance. We are creating more and more disabled through medical procedures designed to save lives or enable infertile couples to reproduce, and we are handing out mega millions in NDIS support. I see the benefits of IVF, life-saving medical procedures, supporting people to leave abusive relationships, etc. etc. etc. But I think it's time we recognized that utopia can't happen and somebody has to pay for all this. The recent budget is being heavily criticized for not doing enough for working families - the people who are paying for all this welfare. We are creating a class of working poor and downgrading the middle class to poor. At some point, we have to say ""sorry, enough. There just isn't any money to give you"" Chalmers used the word ''deserve'', but single parents DO NOT DESERVE to be supported by the taxpayer. They may NEED support. They don't DESERVE it. Nobody DESERVES welfare. So let's stop pretending that welfare recipients have some mythical entitlement to demand that working taxpayers be ground into poverty so they can keep collecting benefits and go back to the once popular notion that benefits are basically charity, paid for by strangers who may be struggling themselves, and should be allocated only to the desperately needy who can demonstrate they are needy despite doing everything possible to help themselves, only temporarily until they can help themselves, and something to be deeply grateful for rather than complain about. Bottom line: Mrs Blower is no needier nor more deserving than thousands of struggling working families who get nothing from the taxpayer purse. Her story is sad. So is theirs. We cannot support everyone with a sad tale to tell.
Got to say that it very harsh. Hope you never fall into any of those categories and that you do not grow old.

• Angry
I am a pensioner doing it fairly hard because of my continuing health issues. I rely on an aged pension but I am feeling very sorry for Mrs Blowers. I can give her the $60.00 per fortnight towards her rent if that would help for the period she misses out.

Reactions: Milica
that is not true
LOOKwhat the liberals did for single parents and the unemployed in the last government
look what this govt has done for single parents and the unemployed in the budget
HAS anyone seen anything done for disabled ,pensioners ,vets and carers in the last decade other than there 6 monthly increases which is waybelow cost of living
All Morrison ever said was "it's not my job."
Not sure what you mean about Vets not getting cared for. Before my father in law passed away, he was given a Veteran Gold Card. The DVA Health card has more benefits than what single mothers and pensioners receive.

The budget Change is great,..Just carry on as you were doing & going to do BEFORE you knew you were going to get the benefit for longer..I know its tough I was a single Mum way back when we got no benefit once our baby was six weeks old unless we were breast feeding as I wasnt I had to get a job & cope...You are what I call one very lucky lady ...Good luck with budgeting hard for a while, but you will get there Im sure..

Got to say that it very harsh. Hope you never fall into any of those categories and that you do not grow old.
are you saying aged pensioners Vets AND THEdisabled
SHOULD NOT GET WELFARE
AREYOU SAYING THAT WE ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING EVEN THOUGH WE THE BOOMERS HAVE WORKED MOST OF OUR LIVES while single parents do not have to work now for 14 years and that is if these parents do not have more that they can afford and keep having children even though they supposedly do not know who the father is

I absolutely detest career single mothers and the dole bludgers that are out there that have never held down a job and they're getting increases directly or indirectly at taxpayer expense?

All Morrison ever said was "it's not my job."
Not sure what you mean about Vets not getting cared for. Before my father in law passed away, he was given a Veteran Gold Card. The DVA Health card has more benefits than what single mothers and pensioners receive.
i have a vet card and would like to know what i am rntitled to more than single parents
What i mean is why have doleys and single people got more pay increases and single parents an extra 6 years of benefits in the last 3 years on top of their 6 monthly payments and lets not forget a %100 increase for doleys inthe stimulous package plus double the concession plus $5000 more than vets pensioners and the disabled WHAT DO DOLEYS AND SINGLE PARENTS DO MORE IMPORTANT THAN US TO GET PREFFERED TREATMENT
gor

During ABC’s Q&A program on Monday, a mother who is currently unemployed and relying on Centrelink benefits expressed her concerns regarding the upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.

Jessica Blowers explained that she would no longer be eligible for the Single Parent Payment once her daughter turns eight in August. This will make it difficult for her to manage her finances, especially with an impending rent increase.

Currently, single parents can claim the Parenting Payment of $949.30 every fortnight until their youngest child turns eight. However, as part of the Federal Budget, the age limit for the payment will increase to when the youngest child is 14 in September.

Unfortunately, Ms Blowers falls into a gap where she will lose the payment for a month since her daughter's 8th birthday is four weeks before the new rules come into effect.

View attachment 19911
The mother fears she won't be able to pay her rent when her daughter turns eight in August, as the payment increase does not kick in until September. Credit: Unsplash/Krzysztof Kowalik.

Ms Blowers will also be facing a rent increase during this period from $900 to $960 every fortnight. During the Q&A program, she expressed her concern and asked the Treasurer about her options.

She said, 'What am I going to do? What is my choice, other than I am doing my best to get a job so that I can keep a house over my daughter's head.'

Ms Blowers raised concerns about the challenging job market where she faces stiff competition, with more than 100 other candidates applying for the same positions. She expressed uncertainty about how she could effectively compete against such a large pool of applicants for a single job.

She also requested information on the government's plans to address the gap that she and other parents in similar situations will encounter. Ms Blowers explained that due to high rent costs, she has limited options and nowhere else affordable to relocate within her city.

In response, Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with Ms Blowers and acknowledged that individuals like her were the driving force behind the decision to extend the age limit from eight to 14. He explained that the government recognised the immense pressure faced by single parents.

However, the Treasurer emphasised that implementing the new system earlier than September 20 was not feasible. 'We think September is the soonest that we can do it,' he explained.

He shared that the government had made efforts to introduce the changes as soon as possible and acknowledged the inconvenience caused by the transition period from the current payment to JobSeeker and then back to the single parenting payment.

'I would love to avoid that if we could, but what we're trying to do is provide this extra assistance that you need and deserve. If we could avoid those couple of weeks, we would, but September is the best we can do,' he went on to say.

Dr Chalmers assured Ms Blowers that the government aimed to provide the additional assistance she needed and deserved, even though it meant a temporary adjustment period.

You can watch the full episode of ABC’s Q&A program here in the video below, and the conversation with Ms Blowers starts at the 9:00 time mark:

During an appearance on Paul Murray Live, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton expressed concerns that the Federal Budget did not offer enough support for middle-class Australians struggling with the increasing cost of living.

He reiterated the sentiment that the budget offered little for these individuals, stating: 'It didn't take the Australian public too long to work out, once they cut through all the spin and Jim Chalmers charm offensive, there's not much there for them.'

Mr Dutton further expressed worries that the Labor Party's policies could create a working poor in Australia, leaving millions of Australians without any support. He said: 'For millions of Australians, I really worry that Labor is creating a working poor. They're saying to many Australians, “We don't have any support for you.”'

He also emphasised that families were facing higher electricity and gas bills, and interest rates would remain high for longer and that these were all issues that Labor had failed to provide solutions to.

'Interest rates are staying up higher for longer, and the fact that people are paying more and more and more for their electricity and gas bills. That's all Labor's making, yet they don't have any solutions for families,' he stated.

Key Takeaways

• During ABC's Q&A program, an unemployed single mother expressed concerns about upcoming changes in the Federal Budget promises for parents.
  • Due to a gap in the new policy, she will be forced off the Single Parent Payment for a month when her daughter turns eight in August, just before the age limit increases to 14.
  • Treasurer Jim Chalmers empathised with her situation but stated that September is the earliest possible timeframe to implement the new policy.

Hearing about these everyday struggles is a harsh reminder of the reality faced by many of us. It's important that our government offers practical solutions to help bridge such gaps and provide the vital support that vulnerable families need.

Let's hope that stories like Ms Blowers’ will prompt authorities to reconsider their policies and act swiftly to alleviate the burden on those who need it most.

I don't really see the problem. She will be pushed off the SPP for a month. Stop whinging. If the change to 14yrs wasnt changed in the budget, she would be taken off the SPP altogether, once her child turned 8.

i have a vet card and would like to know what i am rntitled to more than single parents
What i mean is why have doleys and single people got more pay increases and single parents an extra 6 years of benefits in the last 3 years on top of their 6 monthly payments and lets not forget a %100 increase for doleys inthe stimulous package plus double the concession plus $5000 more than vets pensioners and the disabled WHAT DO DOLEYS AND SINGLE PARENTS DO MORE IMPORTANT THAN US TO GET PREFFERED TREATMENT
gor
I don't know that answer, because I don't know how much a DVA Gold Card pension is anymore.
I do know someone who has left the defence force and receives the DVA Gold Card, but I don't ask how much he receives, as it's none of my business. However, his DVA health card covers visits to a Psychiatrist which has helped him. The Health Card has also paid for retraining him with a new job, and he's very grateful.
Pleased you also receive the DVA card.

are you saying aged pensioners Vets AND THEdisabled
SHOULD NOT GET WELFARE
AREYOU SAYING THAT WE ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ANYTHING EVEN THOUGH WE THE BOOMERS HAVE WORKED MOST OF OUR LIVES while single parents do not have to work now for 14 years and that is if these parents do not have more that they can afford and keep having children even though they supposedly do not know who the father is
Never said anything of the sort, it certainly was not intended to be understood that way. If I have offended you please accept my apologies.

I was a single Dad. I paid child support when my ex decided she didn't want me around. I worked all my life having my daughter every possible time I could.

If you decide to be a parent then you need to accept the responsibilities.

Get a job.

Reactions: Penny4

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways

This is just awful. Surely there should be some kind of help for people falling into this gap in time? Can't Centrelink come up with an interim extra payment that she could pay back?

Reactions: Milica
what a great welfare employee
I did not know centrelink employed blind people because if you workrd in welfare like you say, and could not see what was and is still going on you must have been blind or ignorant. i call people who work WORKERS and i call people on the dole DOLEYS because that is the plural of dole.
I suspect you do not work so what pension are u on or if still working i bet it is not in welfare
GO TO CENTRELINK and sit outside and see who attends between 16 and 30 and 30 to 65 and work it out for yourself. Obviously you do not have any idea whats happening all ove AUSTRALIA as far as certaian single parents who are not single parents .THAT is they live with someone [not everyone] and singles live together and share expences because that is the only way to get by
OTHERWISE they stay with mummy or daddy How else can they get by
YOU HAVE NO IDEA

This is the most in-depth conversation I have read in SDC.
Look at what you are saying, Please.
In 1970s, Justice Murphy setup the system so that any woman could divorce her husband by NOT interacting with him for a period of 12 months .. Marriage is then dissolved due to INCOMPATIBILITY with NO evidence required.

Then the governments were gaining votes by offering "Hand-outs" in the way of all sorts of payments for NOTHING .
Remember the days, when it was NOT necessary for the both Husband and Wives to go to work, leaving "Latch-key" kids to fend for themselves till they came home from work.

Look Again, and now we see extreme amounts of Taxes, Fees and Levies being burdened on the Tax Payers who work so hard to DESERVE their aged pensions.

Bob Meanzies and Arthur Caldwell BOTH agreed to a small levy to be collected at Tax Time and that money placed in the care of the Government of the day. Who, in 1970s decided to use that enormous fund to pay for the increase in Politician Wages, while we still pay that levy.
NEXT in this very same conversation. one person says that people have to go on support and cannot find a job and to GO cleaning for aged people on a paltry amount of money to support their way of life. Landlords twisting and turning around every loophole to increase their rental charges.. Cost of living soaring like it has never done before, while the Governmentt whinges about loss of income .. THEY SOLD THE BLOODY FARM. Who gets the income for Power, Gas and Heating fuels .. Not the Aussie Government.
Who owns the most profitable Utilities in this country Not the Aussie Government
Enormous loss of income and an enormous raises in Pollie Wages.
You don't have to be Einstein to figure that out.

WHOA THERE... we cannot find enough jobs for everyone SO WE HAVE TO PAY them assistance to go Surfing, Alpine Skiing etc Oh! and to destroy their brains on drugs ... COOL STUFF EH? Especially when medical care has to pay millions to keep them alive and well enough to go back to the streets (become homeless) and buy more drugs for their parties etc.
In the end of 1970s, I heard single girls talking about having kids so they could live at home on the Single Parent Income schemes. Not one, but many of them .. even kids at school were taking their babies to school .. No one knew who the husbands were, no DNA those days. Sex out of Wedlock was running rife.

Near the end of WWll .. Japan said that they didn't have to attack and take over Australia BECAUSE after the war they would simply buy it.

Take back what Aussie are working for. Put the money back in our Government Coffers. recall all the tax fees and levies. Freezes price rises, rental increases. Boot big Companies, WHO PROFIT FROM AUSSIES AND PAY TAXES TO THEIR OWN COUNTRIES. Stop Coutries buying up the cash cow farms, like they do in Saudi Arabia and many other countries, AND STOP BLOODY WHINGEING.
Very well said and totally agree.

Number 1 ... they are NOT and NEVER have been called "doleys". What a vile term to use!
I worked in welfare for over a decade so I have seen way more of people on benefits than you ever will see and it is nastiness like yours that makes these people lose their self-esteem. The majority, the VAST majority are just regular folks who have hit a rough patch in their lives. There is a huge number of people on Jobseeker who are over 50 and can't get employers to get over their ageism and hire them too.
So you are going to judge everyone based on your stepson? That is one person and attitudes like that are reprehensible.
Who gives a flying you-know-what how many women are wearing wedding rings? Who made you the arbiter of whether people have to be wearing a band on their hand?
I am not unemployed ... I am a pensioner but luckily not a nasty and judgemental one.
So many people are in the same position as you ... employment issues affect those with mortgages as well as renters. Your post however just shows how bitter you are and there is no getting through to you. You may be a veteran but I can guarantee none of the people I mixed with today at my RSL were as harsh and cruel as you. The fact you use such reprehensible terms as "professional unemployed" just shows how out of touch with the real situation you are.
you never answerered what pension are u on and are you at the RSL as a vet or what
AS you state you are employed DOING WHATand getting a pension
HAVING children without planning means you do not care for their welfare and pensions are not there as a backup plan if you cannot or will not get work
GETTING a job and having children are under your control so if you cannot support a child then do not have them

View attachment 19911

Key Takeaways