Shopper accuses Woolworths of 'daylight robbery' after being charged excessive grocery prices

Grocery shopping has become a costly affair for Australians, with prices skyrocketing across the board.

From everyday essentials to specialty items, the cost of filling up your shopping cart can quickly add up.

It's getting harder and harder to make ends meet, and one mum has had enough.

One shopper, who goes by the username @rhondasane, took to TikTok to share her recent experience at Woolworths, where she went in for just a few items and was shocked by the prices she saw.

In her basket were 10 items, including staples like bread and instant noodles and treats like dumplings and energy drinks. She even managed to snag a special deal on dishwashing tablets. Or so she thought.

But the total bill left her reeling when she got to the checkout.

'How much do you reckon that cost me?' she asked before revealing the receipt total was $90.

Her post garnered a lot of attention from shoppers, with opinions split on the validity of her claim.

Many shoppers could relate to the rising costs of everyday items, and felt sympathetic to her situation.

On the other hand, some expressed scepticism about the total cost of her grocery items.
However, the mum quickly addressed the doubts by sharing a follow-up video where she showed her receipt and labelled the pricing as a 'daylight robbery'.

9410a9b0-c222-11ed-95f7-da6396889a32

A shopper accused Woolworths of overcharging their customers. Credit: TikTok/@jawjah21.

According to the receipt, the most expensive item was the pack of dishwashing tablets, which she alleges were advertised as ‘on sale’ in the store.

'Who buys fairy tablets full-price? Nobody. Ridiculous,' she said before sharing that she had initially believed she was purchasing the item for $10.

After becoming suspicious that the scanned price of $36 was wrong, she later checked the price of the product online and was disappointed to learn that it was indeed retailing for $18.
The shopper continued: ‘So they didn't scan as a special.’

'It doesn’t matter that they weren’t $10, but they were still only $8 more and I still paid nearly $40 for f***ing dishwashing tablets.’

Since the follow-up video was uploaded, a number of other viewers have suggested alternatives, such as Woolworths’ own brand or searching other store brands at other outlets such as ALDI or the Reject Shop.

In response to the woman's claim that the dishwashing pods had been scanned at the wrong price, a representative from Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies.

The spokesperson said: 'If there's an issue of something scanning incorrectly, then our advice to customers is always let the team know so it can be rectified.’

'Also, our 100-tablet box of Strike dishwashing tablets at $12.80 is excellent value, working out to be less than 13 cents a tablet.'

Key Takeaways
  • A shopper went to Woolworths for only a few items but was shocked by the bill that came to just shy of $90.
  • The most expensive item was a pack of dishwashing tablets that were advertised as on sale in the store, but the shopper later discovered the actual price of the item online.
  • The shopper accused Woolworths of ‘daylight robbery' for the excessive prices on essential groceries.
  • Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies and suggested its own brand of dishwashing tablets at $12.80, which works out to be less than 13 cents per tablet.

Members, this story does raise an important point about the need to shop around for the best deals and compare prices, especially when it comes to those extra items like dishwashing tablets that may cost more than you think.

Alternatively, you might consider switching to a less expensive brand if your go-to brand’s price exceeds your budget.

Be sure to dedicate some time to research and read reviews to make sure that the alternative you’re purchasing is worth the money.

What are your thoughts on this, folks? Have you ever experienced a similar situation at your local supermarket? Share your stories in the comments!

Sponsored
What I have found - and not really addressing the comment I know - is that prices have sometimes increased for a valid reason - e.g. lamb prices rocketed when foot and mouth was in England - but it didn’t come down after.

• Sad
Reactions: Granny*Deb
Grocery shopping has become a costly affair for Australians, with prices skyrocketing across the board.

From everyday essentials to specialty items, the cost of filling up your shopping cart can quickly add up.

One shopper, who goes by the username @rhondasane, took to TikTok to share her recent experience at Woolworths, where she went in for just a few items and was shocked by the prices she saw.

In her basket were 10 items, including staples like bread and instant noodles and treats like dumplings and energy drinks. She even managed to snag a special deal on dishwashing tablets. Or so she thought.

'How much do you reckon that cost me?' she asked before revealing the receipt total was $90.

Her post garnered a lot of attention from shoppers, with opinions split on the validity of her claim.

Many shoppers could relate to the rising costs of everyday items, and felt sympathetic to her situation.

On the other hand, some expressed scepticism about the total cost of her grocery items.
However, the mum quickly addressed the doubts by sharing a follow-up video where she showed her receipt and labelled the pricing as a 'daylight robbery'.

A shopper accused Woolworths of overcharging their customers. Credit: TikTok/@jawjah21.

According to the receipt, the most expensive item was the pack of dishwashing tablets, which she alleges were advertised as ‘on sale’ in the store.

'Who buys fairy tablets full-price? Nobody. Ridiculous,' she said before sharing that she had initially believed she was purchasing the item for $10.

After becoming suspicious that the scanned price of $36 was wrong, she later checked the price of the product online and was disappointed to learn that it was indeed retailing for $18.

'It doesn’t matter that they weren’t $10, but they were still only $8 more and I still paid nearly $40 for f***ing dishwashing tablets.’

Since the follow-up video was uploaded, a number of other viewers have suggested alternatives, such as Woolworths’ own brand or searching other store brands at other outlets such as ALDI or the Reject Shop.

In response to the woman's claim that the dishwashing pods had been scanned at the wrong price, a representative from Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies.

The spokesperson said: 'If there's an issue of something scanning incorrectly, then our advice to customers is always let the team know so it can be rectified.’

'Also, our 100-tablet box of Strike dishwashing tablets at $12.80 is excellent value, working out to be less than 13 cents a tablet.'

Key Takeaways

• A shopper went to Woolworths for only a few items but was shocked by the bill that came to just shy of $90.
  • The most expensive item was a pack of dishwashing tablets that were advertised as on sale in the store, but the shopper later discovered the actual price of the item online.
  • The shopper accused Woolworths of ‘daylight robbery' for the excessive prices on essential groceries.
  • Woolworths advised customers to seek assistance from a staff member if they notice any pricing discrepancies and suggested its own brand of dishwashing tablets at $12.80, which works out to be less than 13 cents per tablet.

Members, this story does raise an important point about the need to shop around for the best deals and compare prices, especially when it comes to those extra items like dishwashing tablets that may cost more than you think.

Alternatively, you might consider switching to a less expensive brand if your go-to brand’s price exceeds your budget.

Be sure to dedicate some time to research and read reviews to make sure that the alternative you’re purchasing is worth the money.

What are your thoughts on this, folks? Have you ever experienced a similar situation at your local supermarket? Share your stories in the comments!

That was her choice to buy the items, not Woolworths in this case. She made the choice in not checking out the costs. Most mobiles have a calculator, so why didn't she add it all up first or even leave it at checkout if she had bothered to look. No excuse for laziness either.

What I have found - and not really addressing the comment I know - is that prices have sometimes increased for a valid reason - e.g. lamb prices rocketed when foot and mouth was in England - but it didn’t come down after.
This is why we DON'T allow meat to be imported ... and I am not sure but I think that the ban on imported meat was introduced when Mad Cow's Desease hit the world markets.
Forgot to say that when a legit reason raises prices THEY NEVER COME DOWN when the matter is resolved .. true

Why import meat in the first place? Aussie meats etc are much better quality anyways and of course much cheaper than imported junk

From
Why import meat in the first place? Aussie meats etc are much better quality anyways and of course much cheaper than imported junk
What I remember Tonia, and i grew up on a 50,000 acre Sheep and Cattle property, is that a lot of imported meat was cheaper and we had to drop the price of Lamb soooo far at markets.
Then when drought came we had to offload a couple of thousand sheep BUT the price was less than what it cost to sell at Cannon Hill and other Auctions.. we would have to pay 30c per head to sell them and IT only cost us 10cents per head for a .22 bullet. So ever so sadly and my Dad, I believed, cried in private after shooting them and giving away if people came and picked them up.... That was late 1960s and Early 1970s.

• Sad

Key Takeaways

Yes it is daylight robbery.
As for the dishwasher tablets, do away with them and start doing it by hand. You will save money.

My local bullies have marked up one of my naughty treats from $2 for half a dozen donuts to $2.50 that is a 25% increase and they were never all that fresh but were great after being in the airfryer for a few minutes, the rich get richer and the poor just fade away.

I always check my receipt before leaving the store, and if not happy, query it immediately with the service desk. Re dishwaher tablets, i recently purchased 60 tablets for 12.99 from Red Dot when they were "on special" at Coles for 3 times that price.

Aldi is not much better. Their pricing is coming close to those of the"big two".
Tomatoes diced - .69c now .95c 46.2% increase
Butter - 4.99 now 6.95 27.3 % increase
Block cheese - 7.99 now 9.79 25.65 increase
I could go on.......
That is why the increase in the pension is laughably at a mere 3.7%.
A little over $34... doesn't even cover a small Aldi shopping trip.
As the price rises the items are eliminated from the shopping list.
It will get to the stage where a bowl of oats porridge will have to suffice. No luxuries.

I have also noted the shelves a denuded of the essentials Butter milk bread eggs chicken.
either that is a ploy to further raise prices or it is a genuine shortage.
Talking to one of the employees who informs me that a lot of suppliers are going out of business.
To top it off with auto-replenishment you get into a situation where the "law of diminishing returns" comes into play.

Key Takeaways

My concerns are not so much things being on special as to items on shelves not being what price tag on shelf says. It maybe ok for younger people but us older ones sometimes don't or can't read the smaller printing on the tag and grab the item only to find it is scanned at a higher price and when you object only to be told by the cashier that that wasn't the item you purchased and then embarrassingly have to take the item or ask to have it returned, I know, I have done it myself, but do I have to carry a magnifier around with me just to be able to read the tags. Price is easy to see, but item description is not.

Key Takeaways

I purchases some Vitamens that were marked as half price at about $13 and so bought two bottles only to be charged about $48 a bottle at the check out. After pointing this out they checked and said the product was in the wrong position on the shelf and showed me where the product should have been located. But still gave me one bottle free and charged me only $13 for the second bottle. I think this is the Scanning Code of Practice that still applies at Woolies or did a couple of months ago.

Woolworths has been taking advantage of customers for quite some time now. Since COVID hit a lot of products that used to bein their catalogues for half price have now either been taken off the specials list altogether OR have been cut back to e.g. 20% off the RRP.
Staple items like toilet rolls or frozen pies are no longer advertised at half price. Cooking oil has doubled in price and no, it can't be because of the war in Ukraine as ALL oils have doubled. Ukraine doesn't supply all oils to the world. The cost of common oils has doubled over the past couple of years resulting in half price going from $9 to $18. SERIOUSLY..... $36 normal RRP for cooking oil!

I particularly note that most of the specials nowadays are on discretionary items or are those which had little or no place in supermarkets, in the past. Woolworths has decided to move into the general goods market in a big way. I don't want to buy these items from them, I simply want basic supermarket items at fair prices.
I also note that the promotional strategy the big two supermarkets have adopted is this lesser discount approach to pricing. As a point of difference, if I were Coles I would revert to the old model and watch the profits soar as customers register their disapproval of Woolies pricing with their feet.

The public demand for compensation from the federal government in response to the current increases in supermarkets is unrealistic. This radical change in pricing is not driven by the government and any attempt at recompense will only further drive up the huge debt incurred by the former government.
It is the supermarkets themselves that are changing tack, to generate more, a lot more, profit.

As a pensioner, I will be cutting back on unnecessary purchases which, if other customers follow suit, will lead to some manufacturers or wholesalers closing down. I regret this very much but, for me, the ability to purchase basic items far outweighs discretionary spending.

Regarding refunds, they were stopped altogether during the pandemic. However, now that the mad panic buying is over, Woolworths will now only let you return a product if you replace it with another "similar" item. Coles on the other hand will let you return a product for a full refund when you show your receipt. I know where I will be doing most of my shopping in future and it won't be Woolworths.
Last week an error was made at my local woolworths and again i went to the info kiosk and the assistant there went off to check the price and i alerted her to the fact that i had a photo to support my claim and she returned and cheerfully apologised and gave me the full refund of the price and i signed her copy of the receipt as acknowledgment of being given the cash refund.. i honestly have to say that no matter which department or isle i walk through the staff there have always been friendly, cheerful and becoming very familiar to myself. I am grateful i have the means to purchase whatever i need and so grateful there are supermarkets close by to where i live and also a IGA store with equally friendly and helpful staff.... when i have found an error or questioning pricing there is a genuine desire to find out and to help me.. so all i can say is "how did it get better than this... and it does ". I do recognise that other stores and other folks have had and continue to have different experiences which may not be the shopping experience they desire and no judgement on them or the stores on my part regarding that. 😊

My concerns are not so much things being on special as to items on shelves not being what price tag on shelf says. It maybe ok for younger people but us older ones sometimes don't or can't read the smaller printing on the tag and grab the item only to find it is scanned at a higher price and when you object only to be told by the cashier that that wasn't the item you purchased and then embarrassingly have to take the item or ask to have it returned, I know, I have done it myself, but do I have to carry a magnifier around with me just to be able to read the tags. Price is easy to see, but item description is not.
I am one month short of being 80. I think that makes me one of the "Older Ones" and I get Govvy Glasses NOT the expensive ones... Now the tag is hard to read... THEN I take out my Mobile phone which I use for a hearing disability .. same as most phones .. I open the camera apps and zoom in on the price tags ... I don't always take a pic just view the price to confirm what I am looking at. ... The phone prints conversations for me, reads small print and shuts up those people that say I told him yap yap yap .. when they DID NOT .. and I can prove it.. .. Love this phone.

This is the reason we don’t shop at Woolworths.

So your saying to just accept the mistakes and rip offs from the past Supermarkets and continue to be ripped off, I assume that you have won the lottery or missing a few screws?
I don't think that is what he is saying, he is pointing out that other people just get the refund or what ever and get on with life, not post everything to Social Media for your 5 minutes of Fame

Being overcharged for items at the supermarkets, big variety stores and even multi store clothing chains happens all the time. Most people just deal with it directly with the store concerned and don’t post it all over social media seeking their “two minutes of fame”, if everyone did that social media would be totally clogged up with totally unnecessary ? “Wanna be ers “
Howz about ‘you’ follow your own advice!

Reactions: alyn6652
I was taught mental arithmetic many years ago, and add up as I go along, so I have a fair idea what the bill will be when I've completed my shopping. I also use self-checkouts so you can see what price is being recorded as you scan.

Reactions: alyn6652

Key Takeaways

I have found in Woolies and other stores that many popular shelf products do not have price tags below them eg. toilet papers, tissues, some frozen products etc etc. NOT HAPPY JAN!!!

Key Takeaways